• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought with the fact that the apology/cancellation wasn't a video is that a lot of nasty things have been said and posted about their appearance, tone etc. in that update video, and they didn't want to personally become even more of a meme.

You know, this:

cMJQLo1.gif

fOBshQe.jpg

I mean, let's face it, they're a couple of goofy lookin' guys. There's no way to make a video of themselves that wouldn't end up mimicked and mocked en masse at this point. If they look like they did last time then you get more of the same gifs and stills of them looking annoyed or dismissive. If they really are contrite and sad and on the verge of tears, then the crying face gets posted everywhere.

If it were me I would not want to give the internet any more material at this point.

This isn't a defense of them at all, just my first thought at their intent in having it written and not a video.

Hmm, While I'am glad that they came to their sense, part of me really wishes they didn't. Not because I wanted to see their channel crash and burn but because of I really wanted to see the natural conclusion to this whole thing. How many subs would they loose till the internet get's bored? Would they loose a million subs? Would the internet not get bored and they possibly loose all their subs? The whole situation was intriguing to me for reasons that actually had nothing to do with the Fine Bros.

Haha yeah...wait what does the comment coming from a girl matter?
I read that as simply stating "this guy said" or "this girl said" and not from the viewpoint specifically singling out women.

He said "top comment". So at least I'm assuming that distinction as a turn of phrase.

In short: it might not mean what you think it means.

Maximo

I read that as simply stating "this guy said" or "this girl said" and not from the viewpoint specifically singling out women.

He said "top comment". So at least I'm assuming that distinction as a turn of phrase.

In short: it might not mean what you think it means.

Yeah I assumed he meant that *Typical top comment is from a fan saying I don't see what the problem was* just making sure.

MUnited83

For you.
We (hopefully) retain the ability to make our own reaction videos without getting shat on by dodgy copyright claims. I know no one likes them here but they're pretty big on YouTube, and people should be able to make reaction videos - no one owns that idea.

Yep! It's also pretty ridiculous that their idea was to license the format when the whole fucking format is reacting to content that wasn't made by them or licensed by them. The people whose videos are reacted to don't receive a fucking cent, and they dare to try to license the fucking reactions? What a bunch of fuckwits, especially when they act like self-righteous assholes that think they invented the concept of reactions (see their behaviour with Ellen and Buzzfeed).
I hope they continue to lose subscribers for a long while. They deserve it.

Monocle

Good. It's absolutely ridiculous that they even attempted this in the first place. I hope the backlash deters other channels and companies from trademark abuse.

rashbeep

Banned
I found this whole thing pretty hilarious.

Still though, fuck these guys. They backpedaled on an idea that was doomed to fail, because they would have lost so many subs. They are still pieces of shit.

I just don't understand the whole thing, how far must their heads be up their own asses to not see something like this coming?

I'm not going to profess to be any expert in trademark law but in my head I can imagine at least a half dozen things they could have done to protect their brand better than trying to register something so broad, something that existed before they were around, something that was clearly so unbelievably vague that it exists in numerous forms across numerous channels on Youtube. Why not just make "React World" some kind of affiliate program for tubers that want a little more exposure for their videos? Trademark their "Fine Brothers" name or something, share profits on videos, "Fine Brothers React World Presents" or something. I dunno, I said I'm not an expert, but there are so many friendly ways to go about something like this where you don't come off as much as a bunch of penis' that these twats did. Is it absolutely necessary to be this blood thirsty in the trademark world?

Then the smugness and complete ignorance of their own stupidity. They deserved this backlash, 100 percent.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
oh my god

Modern art, it is both absurd and functional at the same time.

The internet just loves to watch the world burn.

There's like 50 different streams going on with the same content.

Why did they have back down so early, now we'll never get to see h3h3's reaction. :(

https://twitter.com/h3h3productions/status/694394820656283648

About to go below 13.8 :p

NO NO NO!

Why is this shit so stangely watchable? I wanted to go home!!!!

image.php

We just hit 13.8 million. Keep 'em coming.

lol I have something to watch at work tomorrow for the hell of it

I don't disagree with the negative response, but I can't get behind any further shaming, especially now that they've dropped the trademark.

Letting them off the hook just because they found out they can't do this RIGHT NOW is one of the less effective things the internet can do.

Phu

Banned
Btw, I think we should all thank Ryan Morrison/Video Game Attorney for jumping into action. This didn't escalate to the point of fullblown legal struggle but it seems something was at least starting up for him to be in communication with them and for them to directly send him their trademark retractions.

I'm looking around to see if there's anything more specific.

Cth

The internet just loves to watch the world burn.

There's like 50 different streams going on with the same content.

Are there any showing how many are added? :D

So people can make sure they can't regain momentum upward?

Of course, then someone will make a channel watching both..

border

I just don't understand the whole thing, how far must their heads be up their own asses to not see something like this coming?

If they had announced this as an affiliate/partner program for other people who want to make reaction videos, I think it would have received a fine response. It might have stunk in the sense that they were just looking to have other people produce new content for pennies on the dollar, but that would have been overlooked by almost everyone.

The problem is that they went one step beyond and almost directly implied that everyone else making Reaction videos was doing so illegally, and that the only way to make "legal" reaction clips was to partner with them.

Poyunch

The number of lost subscriptions is decreasing. Is just what the night lul looks like or did the apology actually do something?

Skux

The number of lost subscriptions is decreasing. Is just what the night lul looks like or did the apology actually do something?

It slowed at about this time too. I think it'll pick up a bit in the US daytime but won't be close to hitting the rates we saw today (-200/min).

Agreed, it really wasn't that huge of a loss for them. Once this evens out, they will be more popular than ever and the audience will still be there.
Subs != engagement

Views, likes, dislikes, minutes watched = engagement

All those unsubs are people who pay attention to their channel. They are people who share their stuff with people who do not sub. People who count as engagement even when not subbed.

The total sub number doesn't matter. The fact that the people who do engage are unsubbing in record numbers matter. Think about how many videos you watch on YT without subbing. That's who matters. The viewers, the minutes, the likes, etc - not the subs.

It hurts them more than you think. If 20% of everyone that left shares their videos on Twitter with non-subs, and those share 20% and so on, the engagement adds up.

Breads

Banned
An apology is not what I wanted. I wanted...

Oh wait they are backing down from all of it. And they admit that past take-downs were a mistake.

We cool Brothers Fine. We cool.

Oh, don't think that just because they reversed their position, that they still aren't and weren't greedy fucks.
From Reddit:
Reddit User - bboyjkang said:
More people should check out the posts of former fine brothers employee https://www.reddit.com/user/finethrow123:
It gives a lot of insight into what the fine brothers might do.
[–]TheMentalist10 [M] 4 points 11 hours ago
I can confirm that I've seen solid proof that /u/finethrow123 [+26] is who they say they are.
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43mhfn/rapper_reacts_to_the_fine_bros/czjumcw
[–]finethrow123 [+1] 3 points 11 hours ago
I broke the Ocubox scandal in my very first post.
They had an employee who kept a document of every channel who did reaction videos.
When they felt a channel was getting too big for its britches using a format too similar to theirs, they would DMCA strike.
For a while, they would use REB, essentially their own CMS from when they wanted to create an MCN but ultimately decided not to.
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43mhfn/rapper_reacts_to_the_fine_bros/czju2hn
[–]finethrow123 [+1] 1063 points 20 hours ago
Fun fact: the Fine Brothers legal team made a big stink and pressured the Jimmy Kimmel Show to take down the video in this Tweet: https://twitter.com/thefinebros/status/94074508050313216
The Fine Brothers will tell you that they don't intend to go after other reaction videos or brands.
Don't believe them.
I've been inside the factory, and I know how the sausage is made.
https://archive.is/q4WeR
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43mhfn/rapper_reacts_to_the_fine_bros/czjhrxa
[–]finethrow123 [+26] 48 points 1 day ago
As mentioned previously, I worked for the Fine Brothers.
When they took down Seniors React, there was MAJOR backlash from the fans.
They moved to censor any comment on all of their channels so people didn't know about it.
This was par for the course for them, as they looked to control the conversation in regards to anything involving their properties.

MrBadger

Welp, here comes the part where their fans crawl out of the woodwork to reassure them that everyone was overreacting, the internet mob slowly forgets them and they go back to their daily routine of getting rich by showing old people mundane things on camera. This was a fun ride

LQX

This seems like big deal, but how am I only hearing of these dudes and this trademark from reading this thread? Man, I have to browse the internet more.

Next time, they won't make an announcement of Trademarking. They'll just trademark it and not tell anyone until the 30 days are done.

Do you truly think that people won't keep a watchful eye on them? They can't get away with it. Even if they do, once it comes up, they'll hemorrhage viewers just as quickly as they did.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not like those trademarks would have withstood the appeal anyways, this was the only logical way to do this.

Not sure why they would also shut down the whole react world idea, I could see people using that regardless of whether they can do their own stuff or not, if only because you would be like to get way more exposure and views on an aggregate popular channel than on your own unknown channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom