• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is definitely not a genuine "we're sorry," as evident by the fact that this dropped in a Medium post rather than a video like their "Update" video. They've come across as jerks based on their tweets attacking other react videos, and based on their update video were they try to play it like they are the victim, but alas that is my personal view of the situation.

Nonetheless, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and are simply doing this to hopefully stop the bleeding.

This is definitely not a genuine "we're sorry," as evident by the fact that this dropped in a Medium post rather than a video like their "Update" video. They've come across as jerks based on their tweets attacking other react videos, and based on their update video were they try to play it like they are the victim, but alas that is my personal view of the situation.

Nonetheless, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and are simply doing this to hopefully stop the bleeding.

It's by the numbers written up by their lawyers. Not at-verbatim.

It's not a video response.
It's not a video named 'update.'
It's a passive-as fuck-aggressive response, you can see the venom beyond the words.

rec0ded1

"We will destroy REACT!, then when it is done and fine bros are ashes, then you have our permission to die.” -Internet Bane

Hope someplaces like VICE does an interview with them. They did one recently with Martin Shkreli and it was a really good look at his character. Hope they can do the same with these two.

I was against their moves but I don't hate them per se. Really interested to understand their train of thought and how they couldn't see this backlash coming what with them being on the pulse of the internet and Youtube.

posted this in the other thead, may aswellleave this here.

The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.

especially since fullscreen went on a tirade shutting down all videos that had react in the title, it's pretty fucking impossible to prove your innocence in a situation like that.

No matter what you say your intentions were impure from the beginning, you are only sorry people took notice to the bullshit.

Skux

I think they're being honest this time. Apologising in a note feels more authentic after they tanked their public image with their awful fake enthusiasm/sorrow in their video updates.

And their actions speak louder than words. Releasing all the past Content ID claims is something beyond what most expected them to do.

SalvaPot

honestly 250k is a very small amount for the more than 13 millions they have. That said, its great they realized the PR nightmare was real and they acted fast enough. I don't see the need to stop the React World program, but might as well drop it to start clean.

Dinjoralo

Indeed if you like at it from a percentage point of view it's a minimal decrease and that chart makes it look way bigger than it actually is due to the scaling, but losing 250k+ engaged users over a few days is a pretty big deal for anybody as evidenced by their 180.

I don't think the subscriber counts are that important, at least their overall number. The channel has been active since 2008, I think, chances are a lot of those subscribers could be inactive accounts, people who stopped watching and forgot they were subscribed, or dare I say, bot accounts. What's really important is how many people will actively, regularly watch their videos from now on. If at least 250k people are never going to watch their videos again, that's a way bigger percentage they have to worry about.

farisr

I think they're being honest this time. Apologising in a note feels more authentic after they tanked their public image with their awful fake enthusiasm/sorrow in their video updates.

And their actions speak louder than words. Releasing all the past Content ID claims is something beyond what most expected them to do.

They'll do anything to stop the bleeding right now. Had they done this without releasing that "update" video it would've been more believable.

They are just in full damage control mode right now. I'm sure they'll come back with another scheme to exploit this. After watching the original announcement and update video, I have no respect for them. The amount of arrogance and delusion is hilarious. What's next? They gonna trademark "top 10 list" videos?

lol this whole thing reminds me of xbone at E3.

I think they realized that another video would make things worse (because their "update" video backfired so much) Remember, that update video was their attempt to clarify and fix things. If I were them I would release a written statement rather than try again via video when it's so likely to backfire somehow and have facial expressions used as more fodder for gifs / videos.

To be clear, I think they clearly overreached, they have a sketchy past in terms of dealing with other peoples' content, and their attempt to clarify via the update video came across as condescending, etc.

Tagyhag

Well they certainly can't use React World with all the shit it's got on it right now.

If they come back from this, they'll bide their time and then come out with a different less greedier program down the line.

They'll never stop though. Looking at both their "apologies" they know exactly why people are mad, but they'll find a way to keep making more money somehow.

chocoedd

I agree with what Jim Sterling had said in his newest video, Games In Development, that Youtube is currently being sliced up by corporations with their trademarks. Sony and Finebros may unsuccessful in their first try, but who knows some day in the future another corporation will try to try to trademark unboxing videos, music covers, dance covers, gameplay videos etc without having to announce it first like Finebros did.

This wasn't a witch hunt ..this was a pacifist protest with people expressing their fears and disapproval of a exploitive and unfair system

The most important thing people must remember is that the power lies within the people.

Youtube bullshit is not confined to the FB, yt themselves have been fucking over creators. To become complacent now will only serve to go against us in the future. Creators should be able to provide content without fear of being shit on by larger companies abusing the system.

Tripon

I say keep the pressure on for a few more weeks.

It'll last at least another week, with people talking about on their podcasts, more reaction videos, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit mainstream media (even if its a just a 30 second blurb). I would really like to see Vice or another alternative newsource really sink its teeth into this so we can see why it really played it out.

Phu

Banned
They got called out for a shitty thing they were trying to do it backfired immensely and they bled subscribers in the process, I wouldnt call it a witchhunt.

Admittedly, I didn't see everything that happened during this but compared to how bad/mean the internet can be, this whole thing when down in a relatively tame manner.

YouTubers called them out.
Viewers unsubscribed.
People streamed/graphed their decline.

I've seen much more legitimately violent reactions to much smaller events.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time. It makes perfect sense for people to distrust our motives here, but we are confident that our actions will speak louder than these words moving forward.
Mmm hmm. Sure.

catbrush

I think most adults are sick and tired of dumb "X reacts to Y!" videos.

They did a shitty thing by trying to claim ownership of the format as their own, and the response was a massive public shaming.

Even after rescinding the trademarks, the shaming continues, and will likely continue until The Fine Bros are culled from the public space.

I don't disagree with the negative response, but I can't get behind any further shaming, especially now that they've dropped the trademark.

What exactly did we win here? The right for people to use a brand name that no one on here likes, to make videos that barely any people on here like? The triumphant gifs and posts are a little odd to me.

What exactly did we win here? The right for people to use a brand name that no one on here likes, to make videos that barely any people on here like? The triumphant gifs and posts are a little odd to me.

do you like youtube videos with opinions in them

how about youtube videos where people react to things

because they were trying to trademark 'Reacts', 'Opinion', 'Lyric Breakdown', among others. They were trying to trademark broad, vague concepts. With Youtubes strike system, there would be no chance for recourse.

Skux

We (hopefully) retain the ability to make our own reaction videos without getting shat on by dodgy copyright claims. I know no one likes them here but they're pretty big on YouTube, and people should be able to make reaction videos - no one owns that idea.

They sure didn't feel bad trying to send a witch hunt on ellen degeneres.
Yup.

What grinds my gears is that their behaviour has been ratcheting up over time and this was just the tipping point.

Nobody should think for one second they had an epiphany and all of a sudden they changed their ways.

This was pressure from their sponsors in text form on Medium. That's all it was. Its not sincere.

The absolute shitfuckery on YouTube needs to stop. This wasn't a witch hunt. The threat of a VERY REAL power grab IS.

I don't even really sub to many channels or get involved in the whole YouTube creator process but hot shit I know when something is wrong and can potentially fuck a lot of legit people - something needs to be done.

We (hopefully) retain the ability to make our own reaction videos without getting shat on by dodgy copyright claims. I know no one likes them here but they're pretty big on YouTube, and people should be able to make reaction videos - no one owns that idea.

I guess I'm separating out the trademark claims versus the "format" claims, which are ridiculous. They've been using these trademarks for a while, and as a lawyer who helps others protect their brands with trademarks, I understand.

Do you make reaction videos?

do you like youtube videos with opinions in them

how about youtube videos where people react to things

because they were trying to trademark 'Reacts', 'Opinion', 'Lyric Breakdown', among others. They were trying to trademark broad, vague concepts. With Youtubes strike system, there would be no chance for recourse.

I don't really watch YouTube videos, no. But every thread with reaction videos is full of hate about the format. I just find it odd that this is the hill everyone wants to die on.

And they were trying to trademark specific brand names they had developed. They were using copyright to stop people from using the concepts, which was admittedly bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom