• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
They look very upset and possibly angry.

I'm sure they'll try something else when this all cools down.

I don't doubt it. I think in their heads it was a great idea communicated brilliantly... but it wasn't. I can kind of see what they were going for but their comms were appalling! For people who make videos on Youtube they are dreadful at getting a message across.

They must have been surrounded by sycophants to not be told that they were going to hit utter shit if they went live like they did with no clarity or details just wait-and-see and then to follow it up with that "Update". Damn, "Unsubscribing Intensifies" indeed. Also, did they think people wouldn't call them out on their past activities?

They were in a dream-world, it's the only reason. Has to be.

I think the most amazing thing about this is how they really, truely, without a shadow of a doubt believe, they OWN reaction videos. that its THEIRS.

That they invented it, that the entire concept belongs to them, and that its wholly original. like this tweet:
https://twitter.com/thefinebros/status/94074508050313216
Way to rip off the entire concept and title of KIDS REACT Jimmy Kimmel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5F8ML_bfMw …

Rip off the entire concept?!? ITS KIDS WATCHING SOMETHING.

I broke the Ocubox scandal in my very first post.

They had an employee who kept a document of every channel who did reaction videos.

When they felt a channel was getting too big for its britches using a format too similar to theirs, they would DMCA strike.

For a while, they would use REB, essentially their own CMS from when they wanted to create an MCN but ultimately decided not to.

They literally believe they OWN the idea of showing someone a video and seeing how they react. Isnt that just, like, insane to anyone else? How many people have said "hey look at this video/picture/whatever that i found" and showed someone? They think they own that?

Even the idea of reaction videos. These are videos of someone reacting to SOMEONE ELSES CONTENT. In essence, if i made an awesome viral video, everyone watch it, but then i posted a video of someone watching MY video, id be (according to them) stealing their idea.

HOW INSANE IS THAT.

I think the most amazing thing about this is how they really, truely, without a shadow of a doubt believe, they OWN reaction videos. that its THEIRS.

That they invented it, that the entire concept belongs to them, and that its wholly original. like this tweet:
https://twitter.com/thefinebros/status/94074508050313216

Rip off the entire concept?!? ITS KIDS WATCHING SOMETHING.

They literally believe they OWN the idea of showing someone a video and seeing how they react. Isnt that just, like, insane to anyone else? How many people have said "hey look at this video/picture/whatever that i found" and showed someone? They think they own that?

Even the idea of reaction videos. These are videos of someone reacting to SOMEONE ELSES CONTENT. In essence, if i made an awesome viral video, everyone watch it, but then i posted a video of someone watching MY video, id be (according to them) stealing their idea.

HOW INSANE IS THAT.

Yeah, these two are twisted. They do not own reaction videos, they just cornered the market on them. But they also feel like they want, no deserve all of the pie and anyone who wants some of the pie or a quarter of the pie, they tell them otherwise. It's gross, completely heinous and totally arrogant.

Pluto

Yeah, these two are twisted. They do not own reaction videos, they just cornered the market on them. But they also feel like they want, no deserve all of the pie and anyone who wants some of the pie or a quarter of the pie, they tell them otherwise. It's gross, completely heinous and totally arrogant.
And that is why I hope they lose more subscribers, their apology is too little and too late, they have shown their true faces.

Pluto

They have to feel like idiots right now.
I bet they feel like victims of the uneducated internet people who they confused by using big words like "licensing" and "trademark". They they think invented reaction videos and should own them but the dummies won't let them.

Maybe im missing something, but in their "update" video they said their plan wasnt to trademark or copyright the genre of react videos. If the problem is trademarking the word "react" then thats something they can fix.

Boke1879

I bet they try something down the line when shit cools down. I can't even say "good on them" because this was insane to do in the first place.

Sorry we got caught

Someone going for this aggressive of a move didn't just make a little mistake or have a brief lapse in judgment. They're fucking greedy and are attempting to build a mini media empire, but are probably not confident because their
"product" is the least specialized/unique thing in the universe.

I don't think the turnaround is sincere at all. It is merely a business decision; they had no option as they faced a very valid and strong legal opposition to their plans.

Honestly, the more I've read about them, the more gross their business practices appear. They are bullies and nothing more. I won't watch their videos again.

Maybe im missing something, but in their "update" video they said their plan wasnt to trademark or copyright the genre of react videos. If the problem is trademarking the word "react" then thats something they can fix.
You're missing all the takedowns they issued to channels small and large. The bullying they asked the internet to do to Ellen, the bullying if Kimmel, smack talking everyone with reaction videos that are just plain reaction videos like we've had for far longer than YouTube, etc.

Just the overall shittyness, lying and abuse is all you missed :p

You're missing all the takedowns they issued to channels small and large. The bullying they asked the internet to do to Ellen, the bullying if Kimmel, smack talking everyone with reaction videos that are just plain reaction videos like we've had for far longer than YouTube, etc.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

TheYanger

They already did, people are just vindictive on the internet.

I mean, if you don't like em that's fine, but it's ridiculous to see some of the comments (and embarassing) here, stuff like "I HOPE THEY LOSE SUBS UNTIL THEYRE GONE AND PENNILESS" (paraphrased but at least tow people said basically that) is fucking insane, I pray you never make a mistake in your lives, lest the outcome be "Welp, execute them, they said something dumb". These guys have plenty of people working for them, and the content of their channel isn't going to change, so there's not really any reason to believe it's going to do much long term. "They're going to do it again cause they showed their hand" - ok. If they do go after them again then, more viciously next time, this isn't how sane and normal people operate when someone does something stupid and then stops and reverses course. I'm not saying the severity is the same or anything like that, but how many of you calling for them to be scorched from the internet would take that approach when it came to anything else?

MS Xbox one reveal was botched, better start dumping their stock until the company collapses guys. I mean this mindset ("they did it once, so we cannot trust them ever and should stop it before it starts") is how we get some truly scary real world outcomes when it comes to anything else, so stop and think about it a bit before taking so much pleasure in someone else's failures sometimes imo.

All of that stuff happened ages ago, and they even addressed it in their apology. If they continue to douchebag it up, then they've got written proof of their shadiness now, but otherwise "They'll do it again!" is just supposition. Internet vigilantism is always stupid.

oti

Banned
So to sum things up we were lucky they were dumb enough to talk about this before the public opposition phase ended? That in itself is all sorts of scary.

I mean, if you don't like em that's fine, but it's ridiculous to see some of the comments (and embarassing) here, stuff like "I HOPE THEY LOSE SUBS UNTIL THEYRE GONE AND PENNILESS" (paraphrased but at least tow people said basically that) is fucking insane, I pray you never make a mistake in your lives, lest the outcome be "Welp, execute them, they said something dumb". These guys have plenty of people working for them, and the content of their channel isn't going to change, so there's not really any reason to believe it's going to do much long term. "They're going to do it again cause they showed their hand" - ok. If they do go after them again then, more viciously next time, this isn't how sane and normal people operate when someone does something stupid and then stops and reverses course. I'm not saying the severity is the same or anything like that, but how many of you calling for them to be scorched from the internet would take that approach when it came to anything else?

MS Xbox one reveal was botched, better start dumping their stock until the company collapses guys. I mean this mindset ("they did it once, so we cannot trust them ever and should stop it before it starts") is how we get some truly scary real world outcomes when it comes to anything else, so stop and think about it a bit before taking so much pleasure in someone else's failures sometimes imo.

The thing is, they already were doing the things they said they weren't going to do(Trying to take other reaction videos that had little to nothing to do with their format.)

As for why people want them to lose subs, it's because people like this only learn when their monetary value is at stake. There's nothing vindictive about it, that's just the reality about it. If people just complained and did nothing, they would've gone through with their stupidity.

All of that stuff happened ages ago, and they even addressed it in their apology. If they continue to douchebag it up, then they've got written proof of their shadiness now, but otherwise "They'll do it again!" is just supposition. Internet vigilantism is always stupid.
I believe you are confusing "mistake" with "pattern".

There is a VERY distinct difference between the two which renders your point moot.

Mistakes can be forgiven. Patterns show a very clear mind of ill intent. It's important that people learn to differentiate.

Edit: I know this on a personal level. It's how I saved my business from a malicious partner 2 years ago. Knowing the difference between "mistake" and "pattern" saved my ass.

Sesha

Great that they backed down. It's good to see some consistency in whenever corporate starts to exploit internet culture or common words and phrases in order to monopolize the concept or phenomenon in question, the internet kicks back at them. Shame there's still cases when they get away with it, like King trademarking Saga

As for the Fine Bros. Since their shitty behavior and attitude extends beyond just React World, I won't bother watching anything of theirs indefinitely. Shame too. As banal as their format is, I still found some enjoyment in watching, especially Elders React. At least there's the SunhiLegend gif. The internet bless him.

There is a VERY distinct difference between the two which renders your point moot.

Mistakes can be forgiven. Patterns show a very clear mind of ill intent. It's important that people learn to differentiate.

Edit: I know this on a personal level. It's how I saved my business from a malicious partner 2 years ago. Knowing the difference between "mistake" and "pattern" saved my ass.

I wouldn't go that far. Patterns are indicative of a mindset. Mindsets are harder to change usually because the thought process that lead to wrongful actions is tied to a myriad other thought processes. But most people won't be able to find their mindset problematic, unless they're very reflective about their behavior or they're in therapy or something.

It's worse when money and business is involved. I don't believe for a second that these guys are remorseful. They're both in agreement, and they're surrounded by people that agree with them. Everything they've done up to this point indicates they don't believe their actions to be mistaken.

I can see into your desolate, crushed spirits and rejoice.

Seriously though, they looked legitimately depressed in that update video. Like almost on the verge of crying.

can't believe people buy this shit

Of course they do! They have no choice but to look like that. It's literally the only winning move in this situation.

They just tried some very hostile legal tactics to promote their channel, I'm sure they know about acting remorseful too lol

atomsk

Party Pooper

Bad example, because Microsoft has already outright said they'll try it again

"I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

Penello said Microsoft hasn't given up on a fully digital future. "We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

All of that stuff happened ages ago, and they even addressed it in their apology.

If by "ages ago" you mean the several takedowns that happened THIS WEEKEND, then sure.

TheYanger

Bad example, because Microsoft has already outright said they'll try it again

"I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

Penello said Microsoft hasn't given up on a fully digital future. "We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

Do you actually think a digital future ISNT going to happen? Nobody thinks that anymore, come on.

Xenex

Well put, when this shit has been happening for years it isn't a "mistake". They just went too far and now it's all coming back to haunt them.

TheYanger

No, it's not a pattern. There was behavior A prior to them hitting this point and then apologizing and removing the trademarks, and then since then: nothing, because we don't know what is going to happen. Nobody does. You don't just assume that when someone takes that step that they're lying. If they do that shit again, after putting in writing what they just did, then you've got significant ammunition for a cause, but until then it's just internet warrior bullshit as always.

MUnited83

For you.

That and the whole trying to "license" their format when their formate is entirely made of people reacting to other's people content, content that wasn't licensed in the first place.

No, it's not a pattern. There was behavior A prior to them hitting this point and then apologizing and removing the trademarks, and then since then: nothing, because we don't know what is going to happen. Nobody does. You don't just assume that when someone takes that step that they're lying. If they do that shit again, after putting in writing what they just did, then you've got significant ammunition for a cause, but until then it's just internet warrior bullshit as always.

No there was a pattern

They took down a set of videos called "Senior Reacts" which was before "Elder Reacts" came into existence
They tried to take down Ellens video and force her to apologize
They succeeded in making Jimmy Kimmels video private
They took down a react video from a person who had 10 subs and 8 views(This happened after 'react world')

That's a pattern

They were scummy as hell

TheYanger

No there was a pattern

They took down a set of videos called "Senior Reacts" which was before "Elder Reacts" came into existence
They took down a react video from a person who had 10 subs and 8 views(This happened after 'react world')

That's a pattern

They were scummy as hell

And their apology marks a clear delineation for the END of that pattern, so again, until they actually do it again it's just people hoping for others to fail (with extreme vitriol) over nothing. The outrage wasn't over all of this past nonsense until the react world debacle, and that debacle is over, now faux outrage over shit that has been there for years is suddenly some kind of cause to unite behind?

Xenex

No there was a pattern

That's a pattern

They were scummy as hell

They took out Ocubox's British Kids React series back in 2012

More gossip about the bro's business practices from an ex-employee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom