• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcium

Banned
I honestly thought they'd weather the storm assuming they'd only lose a small percentage. It's interesting that they completely backed off. Good job, internet.

It's not like those trademarks would have withstood the appeal anyways, this was the only logical way to do this.

Not sure why they would also shut down the whole react world idea, I could see people using that regardless of whether they can do their own stuff or not, if only because you would be like to get way more exposure and views on an aggregate popular channel than on your own unknown channel.

You can't unleash such an undertaking when you're under a firestorm, React World is tainted now. They will likely get back to this when they perceive the maelstrom of criticism and backlash is far away enough to relaunch it as REACT CENTRAL or something.

It's a bit misleading but it's not bullshit, a 2% decrease over such a small period of time is huge, especially when you consider that a lot of subs are passive subs, meaning they don't contribute that much to overall views(which is the only thing that matters). The people who unsubbed are active subs(like me) who watch their videos as they come out, so this 2% decrease is kind of a disaster.

Exactly this. If you subtract that 250k from the ~2-4 million views they get per "REACT" video, suddenly it seems that much more substantial.

if you look at the y axis it's very clear in what's it's representing

250k+ losses, regardless of overall subscription numbers, is massive. that graph just represents how quickly that happened

Not just that, but it represents active subscribers. A good portion of subscribers are just people who passively subscribe to things. You only make money off of views, not subscribers. The loss of these types of subscribers are going to affects views.

Honestly, these guys should know that going after creative rights, creative content, copyright restriction on youtube is the fastest way...to get like...all of mother fucking youtube against you. Especially since you're dealing with sub broad terms here. It's not only wrong, but it's a direct threat to every other content creator on youtube. So what's happening is any and everyone with a decently large youtube channel is creating "fuck off Finebros.' videos. In fact, I learned off all this from Boogie's channel. I'm half surprised pewdiepie doesn't send these guys a fuck off shoutout.

FineBros you done fucked with the wrong people.

It's not like those trademarks would have withstood the appeal anyways, this was the only logical way to do this.

Not sure why they would also shut down the whole react world idea, I could see people using that regardless of whether they can do their own stuff or not, if only because you would be like to get way more exposure and views on an aggregate popular channel than on your own unknown channel.

I doubt that. Finebros primarily operate through youtube. If you have one thousand people 'signed' up in your program, by what capacity can you realistic support and endorse all those videos? If your video is that good to get a front and center stage representation on the finebros main channel, then by default you can succeed and accomplish success on your own without giving a huge chunk of the profits, of which mind you are already butchered by what google takes to begin with.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I hope they keep losing subs. Am I a terrible person?

So do I, so I hope you're not. They're clearly sleazy bastards and before this whole thing had still being doing what they could to have anything involving reacting.

Ellen stole your format? What, showing people shit and filming their reactions? Fuck better go take the N64 kid's video for kid reacting to N64.

Pair of absolute knobends.

I still haven't figured out which part of this whole thing was the questionable thing besides actually taking down other reaction videos

KingBroly

Banned
Hoky shit. They made Jimmy fucking Kimmel take down a reaction video?! (The video is now private).

https://twitter.com/thefinebros/status/94074508050313216

This is what happens with youtube, unfortunately. Doesn't matter if you're a big corporation or not, if you get bigger than somebody else, you can throw your weight around like it's nobody's business.

They got caught and I'm guessing they'll try it again at a later date when the heat dies down.

mr-paul

Good news.

I imagine they will still try to licence their shows, but on a smaller scale. Instead of trying to have a monopoly on react videos like their React World programme could have given them,
I reckon they'll reach out through different avenues to create an 'official' UK REACT, AUS REACT, etc. Like their example of America's Got Talent/Britain's Got Talent etc.

This would allow everyone to create react videos as they want to without having to give revenue to the Fines, but also allow the Fine Brothers to expand/licence their particular brand (without having the trademark)

hal9001

Banned
I have to say props to them. Yes what they did was shitty but they are big enough to realise thier mistake and correct it.

Vanguard

Still can't help but feel their appology reads as if they're still blaming us for them being caught out with their shit or that we're the ones that made a mistake. It just seem like a similar tone to their Update video... might just be me though, I just woke up :D

I have to say props to them. Yes what they did was shitty but they are big enough to realise thier mistake and correct it.

They've been fucking with people for the past 5 years. They only became "big" enough to realize their mistake when they got righteously called out publicly on their monstrous bullshit.

KingBroly

Banned
Still can't help but feel their appology reads as if they're still blaming us for them being caught out with their shit or that we're the ones that made a mistake. It just seem like a similar tone to their Update video... might just be me though, I just woke up :D

That's usually what PR does. Blames the consumer in a thinly veiled apology.

Good news.

I imagine they will still try to licence their shows, but on a smaller scale. Instead of trying to have a monopoly on react videos like their React World programme could have given them,
I reckon they'll reach out through different avenues to create an 'official' UK REACT, AUS REACT, etc. Like their example of America's Got Talent/Britain's Got Talent etc.

This would allow everyone to create react videos as they want to without having to give revenue to the Fines, but also allow the Fine Brothers to expand/licence their particular brand (without having the trademark)

They should have done this in the first place. It's arguably not scummy at all and gives the fans more of what they want without stomping on smaller YouTube creators who don't want to work with them. Apparently they were doing the latter anyway so I guess this wake-up call was neccesary in the end.

caleb1915

They've been fucking with people for the past 5 years. They only became "big" enough to realize their mistake when they got righteously called out publicly on their monstrous bullshit.

I dunno, they look genuinely ashamed, which while I usually never condone shaming someone to condition better behavior; sometimes it's the only thing that can illicit a response to do the right thing. Especially if it's going to directly affect people's livelihoods in varying degrees. It's much more productive to, instead of using other people in an environment solely to act on oppressing other's ability to create certain types of content, breed a healthy environment for your product to be compared favorably to the others. That's the value of competition, to the creator and consumer.

Fox Mulder

I thought they'd at least try to release another kids react to dumb shit video or something first to lower the backlash.

Skux

I'm just hoping we can reach 300k subs lost

whYEtJv.png

Not surprised they didn't make another video. In Phillip Defranco's video on this issue, he mentioned talking to them and offering them an interview on his show, but they declined, saying they've realized they're not good on camera. People were reading all kinds of ridiculous shit into their facial expressions and stuff.

Great video explaining why this was a bad idea.

I still don't get the "it's exploitative" part just because Fine Bros or whoever don't need to do anything (except obviously provide the branding and the recognition and whatever) to get a cut of revenues. That's pretty much how licensing works in general: you (re)invent the wheel and then just roll with it (which that video says too, but with added clause of "it's not real if it's not done professionally with standards")

One can always take the off chance of doing the exact same concept 1:1 and hope that it blows big; or you can take the "deal" and hope that it will blow big with slightly higher chances, providing that they actually help you with whatever (which the original video said they would do) and getting slightly less revenue.

massoluk

Banned
Well done internet. Seeing the rate of their subscription loss, they probably have no choice. They could have made history by losing a half million (or heck a million) subscribers if bad publicity continues.

Jebusman

Banned
I still don't get the "it's exploitative" part just because Fine Bros or whoever don't need to do anything (except obviously provide the branding and the recognition and whatever) to get a cut of revenues. That's pretty much how licensing works in general: you (re)invent the wheel and then just roll with it (which that video says too, but with added clause of "it's not real if it's not done professionally with standards")

Except from what I remember, their specific terms forbade you from using any of their logos, brands, advertising, anything. You were essentially paying them a toll to make a reaction video. They would take a cut. If you didn't pay, you got taken down. Because they would own the idea of react videos.

It wasn't a licensing deal. It was a shake-down operation.

their specific terms forbade you from using any of their logos, brands, advertising, anything.

That's not what the original video said: it stated that if you join their World thing they will provide you guidelines and templates and materials and whatever. Keep in mind that I did mention that taking down other reaction videos was the only shady part in my original post.

MicH

As others have said, that's not really a sincere apology. It's more of a "oh shit, we got caught" apology. Better keep an eye on them in the future

One can always take the off chance of doing the exact same concept 1:1 and hope that it blows big; or you can take the "deal" and hope that it will blow big with slightly higher chances, providing that they actually help you with whatever (which the original video said they would do) and getting slightly less revenue.

The Finebros deserved some criticism for some of their actions, but a lot of the criticism they did receive was way offbase and jumping to all kinds of conclusions. There was nothing unethical about the React World licencing concept, and trademarking the name of their react channel and shows was never them trying to 'trademark all reaction videos' - which is why most people hate them.

The Ellen example people raise as proof they're shady was actually Ellen doing a thing on kids reacting to typewriters just a week after they put out a video called kids react to typewriters. I still don't think they were substantially similar enough, but it's not proof they're crazy people who were now intent on going after all reaction videos.

It's also entirely possible they embarked on the trademark route precisely because they realized they couldn't do anything legally about people copying their ideas, so their only option was to trademark, and then also licence, their own shows.

The Finebros deserved some criticism for some of their actions, but a lot of the criticism they did receive was way offbase and jumping to all kinds of conclusions. There was nothing unethical about the React World licencing concept.

It was a glorified shakedown operation. Everything is unethical about that.

Fox Mulder

It was a glorified shakedown operation. Everything is unethical about that.

it's a huge flaw with how youtube is built really. They're assholes that tried to grab too much, but they're backing down due to pressure. Youtube would have presumably allowed them to keep doing it.

Jebusman

Banned
That's not what the original video said: it stated that if you join their World thing they will provide you guidelines and templates and materials and whatever. Keep in mind that I did mention that taking down other reaction videos was the only shady part in my original post.

Except this was exactly the problem. What the original video "said" versus what they clarified later (and clarify is a pretty lose interpretation considering how vague their description of all this was in the first place) was completely contradictory. The video was a spinjob, meant to make it seem like they were doing the world a big favor. That's what everyone was parodying in the first place.

I'm glad this is the outcome. However, I still don't trust them and will still avoid supporting their content going forward - yeah, they made a mistake, but they're so greedy and short-sighted that they only realized it was a mistake after nearly 300,000 people unsubscribed and a bunch of parody videos, forum posts, and podcasts were released further discussing how wrong the Fine bros are.

The Finebros deserved some criticism for some of their actions, but a lot of the criticism they did receive was way offbase and jumping to all kinds of conclusions. There was nothing unethical about the React World licencing concept, and trademarking the name of their react channel and shows was never them trying to 'trademark all reaction videos' - which is why most people hate them.

The Ellen example people raise as proof they're shady was actually Ellen doing a thing on kids reacting to typewriters just a week after they put out a video called kids react to typewriters. I still don't think they were substantially similar enough, but it's not proof they're crazy people who were now intent on going after all reaction videos.

It's also entirely possible they embarked on the trademark route precisely because they realized they couldn't do anything legally about people copying their ideas, so their only option was to trademark, and then also licence, their own shows.

It was released over a month after that particular youtube video, but I digress.

There's nothing wrong with React World on paper, franchising their own series of shows to other parts of the world to other creators.

But the way they go about this, trademarking REACT with an incredibly broad description which, though it does not encompass all reaction videos, still leaves a lot of room to counter anything remotely similar, trying to trademark a number of other phrases like Kids vs Food or Lyrical Breakdown or TRY NOT TO LAUGH that are similarly generic and broadly described. That's what a lot of the rage and hate is about. When you compound it with their past actions against Jimmy Kimmel, Buzzfeed, Ellen, and other outlets, along with the recent whistle blowing from a former employee, it makes it sound just as bad as it looks.

Remember that this was the basic trademark description for React: “entertainment services, namely, providing an on-going series of programs and webisodes via the Internet in the field of observing and interviewing various groups of people.”

RoyalFool

Banned
The internet won, which doesn't surprise me.

I just hope the internet now backs down and lets them get on with it, fine line between activism and bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom