• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First 33 Minutes of Dead Rising 4

Tyrus

Banned
This is absolute shit. Holy crap, way to completely destroy any continuity with the 'tone' and style of the series and just go full Saints Row 4.

- Frank looks different/voice different/acts like a doofus now when he never was.
- Hit detection and animations just off.
- Timer gone.
- They've hand-waved Zombrex and its importance in the past storylines with a casual line of dialogue.
- Way too silly.

The identity and mechanics of the series (DR 1, DR 2, DR: OTR and some elements of DR 3) which people like me loved seems to be just thrown out of the window to appeal to casual fans and idiots who just want another generic bash everything zombie killer where you're a mostly unkillable bad-ass. Were timers really that bad? Jesus.

Ah man this has confirmed every bit of scepticism I had for the game. Looks like absolute garbage. Why did they feel the need to change so much that made the game what it is and different from the other zombie games out there?

Looks like is trying to be saints row and dynasty warriors, not dead rising.

A real shame, because I love this franchise, but it seems Vancouver totally lost it somehow. Now I have to wait and see for another 3 years for them to hopefully announce DR5 and maybe that will be better and back to their routes.

Dram

If the game sells well then the franchise will continue in the direction its going. If it fails then I bet this will be the last Dead Rising.

Jawmuncher

If the game sells well then the franchise will continue in the direction its going. If it fails then I bet that will be the end of the franchise.

This is what I have been thinking. Dead Rising feels like a franchise capcom is willing to cut at any moment if it doesn't meet expectations.

Viewtiful

I know it has been mentioned before but man... "Frank" just doesn't sound/act/look like Frank West at all.

What exactly is supposed to differentiate the Dead Rising series from other zombie games now? Time management is gone, managing your inventory looks to be super easy with all of that starting inventory space so you don't have to be picky with what you keep like the previous entries and the combat looks dull and uninspiring.

I'm really confused about why a developer would take a franchise and strip out the parts that made it unique. This game just seems like zombie dynasty warriors now, mash the buttons and mow down the zombies.

Jawmuncher

I know it has been mentioned before but man... "Frank" just doesn't sound/act/look like Frank West at all.

What exactly is supposed to differentiate the Dead Rising series from other zombie games now? Time management is gone, managing your inventory looks to be super easy with all of that starting inventory space so you don't have to be picky with what you keep like the previous entries and the combat looks dull and uninspiring.

I'm really confused about why a developer would take a franchise and strip out the parts that made it unique. This game just seems like zombie dynasty warriors now, mash the buttons and mow down the zombies.

For some people and devs seems like the main aspects that people recall were just you can kill zombies in dumb ways. I feel like this game was focus tested to hell and back. Some earlier interviews seem to suggest as much. Especially where Frank West is concerned. Since a lot of talk seemed to be frank west is badass and the mall was cool, and not much else.

dreamfall

Do we know if the PC version is just a straight port again? It took awhile for them to unlock the framerate and even then, it felt designed around 30fps. Which felt a bit like wading through molasses, even though the port was definitely better looking and had more stability. Wondering if I should just wait for the Steam release, or get it on console.

Jawmuncher

Do we know if the PC version is just a straight port again? It took awhile for them to unlock the framerate and even then, it felt designed around 30fps. Which felt a bit like wading through molasses, even though the port was definitely better looking and had more stability. Wondering if I should just wait for the Steam release, or get it on console.

There's been no mention on the port besides it's not play anywhere and Is windows store exclusive until February. I think this port should be better, but best to wait on impressions

Fotos

The writing and VO in that first car scene is so bad it hurts me. Seems like it was written by some 15 year old. I just don't even know what to say.

SirNinja

This new Frank West is all but destined to be referred to by fans as his in-game fake name, isn't he? "Hank East" sounds very fitting, considering how virtually everything about him is unrecognizable from his DR1 incarnation. (Same goes for the game itself.)

Top Bottom