• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First 33 Minutes of Dead Rising 4

I knew he sounded familiar! That's awesome.

Anyone know where this sits in the series timeline? Is it another take on DR1 or does it come after DR3?

It looks like it takes place after 3. It's so vague right now that it could actually take place after 1 and pretend 2 and 3 didn't exist.

Anticol

Banned

Anyone know where this sits in the series timeline? Is it another take on DR1 or does it come after DR3?

Awesome? well if he was the character from gtv it would be, but he is supposed to be Frank West.

Anyway, I completely forgot about this game releasing this year and after wataching the video I know why. I don't like Dinasty Warriors.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Q0bbHsL.png

Mwr43hJ.png

0KxHhjN.png

Frank looks the same age despite being 50 something, but with a new character model that is just as uninspiring as his new voice.

Game looks like pure hack n slash now. Before it had slight survival elements.

I'll play it as some point to see for myself, but right now I'm quite unimpressed.

vypek

IDK much about this series at all but at the very least this does not seem like another take on DR1 since I'm pretty sure events mentioned in the video are from DR1

EDIT: oops, looks like others have already responded

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I haven't really been following the game...

zombies don't seem very threatening anymore?

Is it just me or does this game look really slow and clunky? The animations just seem so sluggish, and it seems to really mess with the flow of gameplay. DR1 in comparison looks quick and smooth. Also, tonally and aesthetically this game looks like a fucking mess.

This was painful to watch.

Frank's like a Sonic Boom character.

The first 5 minutes sounds like they forgot to record the sound and then just adlibbed on top of the video

Whats wrong with Franks model

Whats up with the loading times

What

Zombies look like a minor inconvenience in this game.

Zombie ai and limited animations on the same level as Warriors game gee this looks terrible

Fuck the Fans: The Game

Getting rid of everything that made DR a beautifully well realized time management simulator and just making a shitty Dynasty Warriors game is a real downer, but not terribly surprising after DR3.

Expect people to come in to this topic going "Well, I never liked the timer, or the survivors, or managing health, so fuck all those things! I'm happy an entire franchise lost it's identity in order to appeal to me and my low standards!"

R.I.P. Dead Rising Franchise :/

Is this really Dead Rising? :(

Seriously, people. Go play Dead Rising 3. How can people have this reaction to this game when DR3 has been on the market for 3 years.

It was the best selling version, why would they go back to the formula of the versions that sold less? Especially when most of those attributes from the old games made the games not very fun.

Seriously, people. Go play Dead Rising 3. How can people have this reaction to this game when DR3 has been on the market for 3 years.

It was the best selling version, why would they go back to the formula of the versions that sold less? Especially when most of those attributes from the old games made the games not very fun.

This character-assassination of Frank West just twists the knife, though.

Damn, I wish it was on PS4. My PC sure ain't strong enough to play this one at even medium and I don't own a Xbox One.. Pretty sure it wouldn't be worth it to play at low either.

Jawmuncher

It'll be interesting to see how 4 sells. 3 garnered a lot of sales due to being more or less the only worthwhile launch title for one.

No, no, no. I can understand when a mechanic that made the series unique is taken away to serve people like us. I get it. I wouldn't exactly want Dark Souls to get an easy mode.

This character-assassination of Frank West just twists the knife, though.

about Frank's personality

"He has an unusually deep sense of determination to find the next big story, taking big risks in order to achieve his goals. His personality is such that he would rather visit dangerous places to satisfy his desire for adventure than out of any sense of journalistic curiosity. A loose cannon who doesn't like working for or with others, Frank's research style, articles and photos are all unregulated and sold to the highest bidder. He is also considered quite the ladies man, being able to get women to fall for him easily. While he's not the most polished and professional person in his field, he is strong, genuinely kind and decent, and always operates on instinct."

*watches 33 minutes of dead rising 4*

yep that's definitely Frank West

dlauv

Precedent does not preclude improvement. I liked DR3, but it really has nothing to do with the changes to Frank. Nor does the stripping away entirely of mechanics have anything to do with improving them.

It was the best selling version...

It factually wasn't even close. DR2 beat it by a landslide.

pa22word

Seriously, people. Go play Dead Rising 3.

JFvPtlA.png

How can people have this reaction to this game when DR3 has been on the market for 3 years.

Because they're being patronizing jackasses with the marketing. DR3 was marketed as a departure, a game for the "CoD gamers". They're doing the same thing here but trying to tell fans that it's a return to the roots of the series despite it having nothing to do with the original games other than the name of the game. Therefore it shouldn't exactly be surprising that people are pissed off.
It was the best selling version, why would they go back to the formula of the versions that sold less?

DR3 barely outsold DR1 despite being on more platforms, much less "best selling version"

this game will review well and people will be pissed

I'll be pissed because it literally has nothing left in common with the Dead Rising series.

The zombies were always fodder, but at least in DR1 and 2 they were more intimidating and it was possible to die or at least get fucked up pretty badly if you got cocky, now it's just hammer X until they are all dead. They pose zero threat, none whatsoever.

The gameplay also seemsto lack any agency.

Because they're being patronizing jackasses with the marketing. DR3 was marketed as a departure, a game for the "CoD gamers". They're doing the same thing here but trying to tell fans that it's a return to the roots of the series despite it having nothing to do with the original games other than the name of the game. Therefore it shouldn't exactly be surprising that people are pissed off.

All of this is subjective. Frank, Williamette, photography are all returning elements. If you didn't expect this to be an evolution of DR3 I feel like that's just being myopic.

SuperPac

Looks great, and the writing's spot-on cheeseball. Like, the good kind of horrible. As someone who loved DR1 and was middling on 2/3, this looks like it's just what the doctor ordered.

Apparently there was a petition to get Frank's original voice actor for this game.
Why Capcom Vancouver didn't get him, I have no idea.

I'll be pissed because it literally has nothing left in common with the Dead Rising series.

The zombies were always fodder, but at least in DR1 and 2 they were more intimidating and it was possible to die or at least get fucked up pretty badly if you got cocky, now it's just hammer X until they are all dead. They pose zero threat, none whatsoever.

The gameplay also seemsto lack any agency.

I've played through DR1 and DR2 multiple times and I don't think I've ever died to a zombie. DR1 especially they were never a threat since that doesn't even have anything but the garden-variety.

pa22word

All of this is subjective.

Seriously?

Maybe to shills or someone being willfully obtuse, but anyone with eyes can see this game is nothing like the original game despite the window dressing.
Apparently there was a petition to get Frank's original voice actor for this game.
Why Capcom Vancouver didn't get him, I have no idea.

"gta v sold a billion copies, maybe if we jack the vo our game will too!"

Seriously?

Maybe to shills or someone being willfully obtuse, but anyone with eyes can see this game is nothing like the original game despite the window dressing.

Yes I disagree so I must be a shill. Show me where they said this will be just like the original game. The same studio has done the last 4 Dead Rising games and each was an evolution of the last. Not sure why anyone would think they would suddenly revert everything back to how it was in the original game.

Fuck the Fans: The Game

Getting rid of everything that made DR a beautifully well realized time management simulator and just making a shitty Dynasty Warriors game is a real downer, but not terribly surprising after DR3.

Expect people to come in to this topic going "Well, I never liked the timer, or the survivors, or managing health, so fuck all those things! I'm happy an entire franchise lost it's identity in order to appeal to me and my low standards!"

It's fair to not like what this game is doing. Same way with DmC. Like you can like that game and whatever. The only time I dislike it is when people start comparing objective things.

But cut it out with that immature shit. If people wanna like those changes that's fine. Not everyone is telling you that having a timer is objectively wrong, they just personally don't like it.

pa22word

Yes I disagree so I must be a shill. Show me where they said this will be just like the original game. The same studio has done the last 4 Dead Rising games and each was an evolution of the last.

There is literally nothing subjective about the marketing being full of shit. Saying so is so absurdly ridiculous that it reads as something that would come out of either a shills mouth or someone being willfully obtuse. I don't think you're a shill, or I would have said so. I do think you are being willfully obtuse, though.

Also, capcom van only singlehandidly made DR3. Capcom Japan made DR1, and development was shared on DR2.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Seriously?

Did they say it would be like the original game? I don't believe they did. This was always going to be Dead Rising 3 starring Frank West.

Mind you, each game evolved from the last.

2 has changes from 1, 3 has changes from 2 AND 1 and if anything, 4 isn't actually straying from 3 at all.

So this is most likely the first time a DR sequel hasn't strayed from its predecessor.

icespide

Banned
There is literally nothing subjective about the marketing being full of shit. Saying so is so absurdly ridiculous that it reads as something that would come out of either a shills mouth or someone being willfully obtuse. I don't think you're a shill, or I would have said so. I do think you are being willfully obtuse, though.

Also, capcom van only singlehandidly made DR3. Capcom Japan made DR1, and development was shared on DR2.

is it inconceivable to you that someone could like DR1/2 but also be excited about DR4 and like that they are using the setting of the original game in marketing?

AFAIK Capcom Vancouver made DR2, OTR, DR3 and this game. Inafune had some input on DR2 but Vancouver did all of the development.

And again, I'm just not seeing the egregious marketing that would lead someone to believe that DR4 reverts things to how they were in the original game. I'm sincerely asking where they implied this as it's entirely possible I missed it but I haven't seen anything like that.

pa22word

Did they say it would be like the original game? I don't believe they did.

Then you aren't paying attention. Every bit of marketing they've done they can't stop shouting at fans how much they love them and how much like the older games this is. It's so patently absurd I can't help but feel the devs have never even played the first game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Then you aren't paying attention. Every bit of marketing they've done they can't stop shouting at fans how much they love them and how much like the older games this is. It's so patently absurd I can't help but feel the devs have never even played the first game.

I assume they're equating the return of the original character with being like the original.

ElRenoRaven

That just isn't Frank. Doesn't look like him. Doesn't sound like him. Really just hate the changes to Frank. I want to preorder but this change just keeps making me hold off.

MrBS

Yikes I can see why you get that OP opening combat scernario. Flicking through the rest of the video shows a rather poor cutscene and/or tutorial vs gameplay ratio

pa22word

is it inconceivable to you that someone could like DR1/2 but also be excited about DR4 and like that they are using the setting of the original game in marketing?
That really has nothing to do with what I'm saying, but okay?
AFAIK Capcom Vancouver made DR2, OTR, DR3 and this game. Inafune had some input on DR2 but Vancouver did all of the development.

And again, I'm just not seeing the egregious marketing that would lead someone to believe that DR4 reverts things to how they were in the original game. I'm sincerely asking where they implied this as it's entirely possible I missed it but I haven't seen anything like that.

Man just dig up any interview they've done about the game on YT. Specifically any PAX or E3 video. All they talk about how is how they're going back to the roots of the series, going back to the og main character, going back to the og setting, all of this while turning around and presenting the game that neither has an accurate representation of the og main character, nor is anything even remotely similar mechanically, tonally, and level design wise to the original other than it letting you take photos in a generation that every single platform has a built in photo mode anyways. It's frankly insulting to listen to the tripe that spills out of their mouths when they talk about the game.

Like, I enjoyed DR3 for what it was. It was Zombie Warriors and was fun in its own way, but the way they've handled the marketing on this game is just so fucking insulting that I can't find it in me to work up the effort to want this game. It's like, please, just shut the fuck up and present the game as it is. It can probably stand on its own well enough without you guys shoving this garbage about how much you love the original game and how welcoming this one will be to fans down my throat every time you talk about it.

NinjaBoiX

I watched about 3 minutes of this skipping through at random and was still bored of it by the end.

Looks awful

ArjanN

Were they something other than that is previous DR games? Unless it was a huge horde pushing them down and jumping through was the best course of action.

in DR1 they were, although mostly through attrition and because you're trying to save NPCs, if you're by yourself not really. They also became less of an issue the more you level up obviously.

Top Bottom