• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first public E3 looks like absolute INSANITY

Nintendo's​ booth is an absolute nightmare. No semblance of order. No lines. No structure. Just a giant mass of people all trying to get at Mario. This is the worst I have ever seen at E3 by far.
Did they just copy the booth from last year without making adjustments for the new crowds or something?

So glad I opted to stay home. Hopefully they do it right next year. It's no fun waiting in line all day and only playing a handful of games, especially with all the BO.

I entertained the idea of going this year since it was opened to the public. Then I though nah I should wait to see if they nail the logistics. Sooooo glad I decided to wait haha

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I am not looking forward to when I get there tomorrow, this is going to be a nightmare.

Years ago when the show had far more attendees, and covered more floor space, it was better planned and run more efficiently. They used to allow the media in an hour before everyone else, to get a head start and be able to do their jobs. I hope this is a learning experience for them, and they use this to do a better job next year. As I said when the public tickets were announced, they should make the first 2 days industry only, then tack on an extra day, and make the last 2 days be open to everyone, industry and public.

AmyS

I'm glad they've done this for the public. It's good for the industry.

I'm also glad that *I* am not there, wouldn't be able to breath.

DCOKFyMXcAAVyBm.jpg

DCON5cLUMAAEpuC.jpg

"poor journalists" haha.

I'm glad they've done this for the public. It's good for the industry.

I'm also glad that *I* am not there, wouldn't be able to breath.

"poor journalists" haha.
Public events are good. But the organisations needs to make sure you can at least play some games if you pay $250 for it.

Attem

A lot of people that have never been to a LAN or a festival in this thread - You get used to the smell after a few hours.

Brinbe

No reason why they couldn't have press only days this past weekend.

Otherwise, its better than an empty E3 floor. Industry looking nice and healthy. Just learn and readjust next year.

KJRS_1993

Imagine how warm that place is.
And the smell.

It looks ridiculous. I'd be devastated if I had spent money to go there. No game is worth playing early to tolerate that, and pay for the pleasure.

Gxgear

The allure of being at events for the experience is totally lost on me.

Spending money to wait in a line for the entire day, just to play a single demo for 15 minutes; I don't get it at all.

I can't even be bothered to buy games on release date anymore, let alone pay $250 to wait in line with a bunch of sweaty nerds to play early.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Did they just copy the booth from last year without making adjustments for the new crowds or something?
It's so much worse than last year. Last year, the crowds were lined up orderly outside the booth. This year, there's just a chaotic throng of people mashed together trying to get their hands on Mario Odyssey. You can barely even tell what you're waiting for here or even if it's working at all. I think they have to fix this for tomorrow, but we'll see. I was prepared for a long wait for Mario, but this is a bit of a disaster.

CLBridges

Damn, is it worth it? I ask that for non-press/public. Waiting hours upon hours just to play a couple minutes of an unreleased title, shit crazy. I'll save my opinion on the gaming journalist for another day.

wrowa

but they have press days

And a designated press area.

If you are actually working in the business, you are unlikely to spend much time on gamecom's showfloor. However, at E3 press seems to have to cross the showfloor even when they just want to walk from appointment to appointment. That's a bit of an issue.

Sounds to me like the LACC is just ill-equipped and too small to open an event like E3 to the public.

mcmmaster

Call me a party pooper but they should have just kept E3 press only.

Like isn't it usually busy enough all the previous years, what did they think was going to happen when 15,000 consumers get stuffed in on top of the many journalists. It's sad to hear this is impacting journalists from getting in and covering the games.

Call me a party pooper but they should have just kept E3 press only.

Like isn't it usually busy enough all the previous years, what did they think was going to happen when 15,000 consumers get stuffed in on top of the many journalists. It's sad to hear this is impacting journalists from getting in and covering the games.

But apparently the press doesn't matter as much anymore. Which I kinda agree with.

That'd be a good idea lol

A terrific indeed.

boltz

I can't even be bothered to buy games on release date anymore, let alone pay $250 to wait in line with a bunch of sweaty nerds to play early.

I plan to go to E3 one of these years, and I couldn't care less about playing any of the games there. Just wanna experience the sights and sounds and it would be a huge waste to be sitting in line for hours.

But apparently the press doesn't matter as much anymore. Which I kinda agree with.
Even if the press doesn't matter, they fly in the Youtubers, Twitchers and influencers anyway and give them media slots and appointments. They are part of the press, just in a different form, but they attend the same events. Making E3 public like this also hurts them because nobody wants to see a vlog where the dude is just standing in line for 5 hours.

I plan to go to E3 one of these years, and I couldn't care less about playing any of the games there. Just wanna experience the sights and sounds and it would be a huge waste to be sitting in line for hours.
Honestly, you've seen the sights and sounds after 10 minutes. For public it is just standing in line -> play game 5 or 10 minutes -> go to next line and wait again. There isn't much else to do.

I'm media, and I showed up half an hour earlier than my department director did last year. We are roughly 7-10 times further back in line around the corner. It curves around the back.

Security said there was no media line.

Appointment at noon.

Fuck this.

Wow

This is just dumb

FyreWulff

Even if the press doesn't matter, they fly in the Youtubers, Twitchers and influencers anyway and give them media slots and appointments. They are part of the press, just in a different form, but they attend the same events. Making E3 public like this also hurts them because nobody wants to see a vlog where the dude is just standing in line for 5 hours.

Honestly, you've seen the sights and sounds after 10 minutes. For public it is just standing in line -> play game 5 or 10 minutes -> go to next line and wait again. There isn't much else to do.

11553225.jpg

"when everyone is press, nobody will be"

Was there really no press day or press appointments?

I get YouTubers, bloggers, and just all around smaller outlets have a tougher time than usual but are like Polygon, IGN, Gamespot, Giant Bomb, and professional outlets having to fight among the masses to get info and see games?

hobozero

Was there really no press day or press appointments?

I get YouTubers, bloggers, and just all around smaller outlets have a tougher time than usual but are like Polygon, IGN, Gamespot, Giant Bomb, and professional outlets having to fight among the masses to get info and see games?

GB after dark is going to be VERY interesting tonight.

Top Bottom