• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forest Early Access Thread - Run Forest Run

DanSaxon

Liking the game so far, however I think there's too many cannibals during the first night, I made a small area with a campfire and wooden shelter near a beach, and during the night there must have been - no exaggeration - about 15 different sets of patrols roaming around the area to the point where there was never a time when there wasn't at least 2 patrols in sight.

That is how I see these things, it is a Kickstarter with a tangible product to play instead of some concept work and a promise.

I just can't comprehend the impatience some people have with these projects, but then again I don't think many actually understand what the game development process actually entails.

The biggest problem is people get burnt out before the game even releases.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like only a matter of time. I imagine they're prioritizing fixing glitches over stuff like that.

yeah that's true, i rather have a working game then a bow and arrow.

They already have ranged weapons working, so I would imagine they will get that implemented eventually.

i need to keep playing this game, so i can find out what weapons they have, now that the save game is in, i can actually build them or find them :)

I have to say I'm liking what I've played so far. The game looks pretty good, although the LOD seems a bit low - seems to be doing well sales wise, which I hope keeps the motivation up to make a good game.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Liking the game so far, however I think there's too many cannibals during the first night, I made a small area with a campfire and wooden shelter near a beach, and during the night there must have been - no exaggeration - about 15 different sets of patrols roaming around the area to the point where there was never a time when there wasn't at least 2 patrols in sight.

havent played since the first day, but i thought that was the case too. Would like to have more time to actually explore and craft without constantly being attacked. Also hope the graphic lag was fixed

atomsk

Party Pooper
Rebuilt my safe haven now that I can actually save

oas91In.jpg

Fire pit right in front, because I know they'll be dumb enough to walk into it.

Now I can actually go exploring. (Kinda bummed the update broke the perfectly usable controller support)

I just bought this on Steam before leaving for work. I have not had a chance to play yet but any idea on when the first major update is gonna come out for this or what it will consist of? I hear they have a timeline of sorts listed in the game but I have not played yet.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I just bought this on Steam before leaving for work. I have not had a chance to play yet but any idea on when the first major update is gonna come out for this or what it will consist of? I hear they have a timeline of sorts listed in the game but I have not played yet.

Countdown timer says 9 days until the next update. But it also says V 0.02 so I dunno if that's considered major or not.

Rembrandt

Banned
were the disappearing cannibals patched? I haven't updated yet, but the last time I played, I killed 4-5 cannibals and they just disappeared off the island completely. got pretty boring, even more so when my axe was apparently hitting trees but not cutting them.

I saw that some guy learned how to build a bomb with a part from the plane's engine, alcohol and I think a cloth? I forget, but has anyone else found any cool little things to build?
besides for the stick hitting the ground and digging up stones/coins, I wonder what else there is. Haven't went cave diving yet, but will definitely do so whenever I find one, lol.

Rebuilt my safe haven now that I can actually save

Fire pit right in front, because I know they'll be dumb enough to walk into it.

Now I can actually go exploring. (Kinda bummed the update broke the perfectly usable controller support)

That is an amazing house.

JakeD

havent played since the first day, but i thought that was the case too. Would like to have more time to actually explore and craft without constantly being attacked.

agreed. i've put it on hold for awhile and i hope the attacks get toned down in future. how amazing would it be to be on your 3rd night, with a false sense of security only to catch one staring at you off in the distance.

Linius

I'm really interested in this game, it looks totally my kind of thing. But I'm gonna hold off on buying till some more updates start rolling in. And I really want that peaceful mode, I wan't play this too relax and not to be stressed the fuck out by creeps in the night :p

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm really interested in this game, it looks totally my kind of thing. But I'm gonna hold off on buying till some more updates start rolling in. And I really want that peaceful mode, I wan't play this too relax and not to be stressed the fuck out by creeps in the night :p
A mere rock will outsmart them currently. Building your base around one is basically like peaceful mode!

Linius

Jesus, I'm reading back my previous post. That was bad.

But what do you mean by building your base around one? There are a lot of these dudes out there right?

Overdoziz

Banned
Jesus, I'm reading back my previous post. That was bad.

But what do you mean by building your base around one? There are a lot of these dudes out there right?
Build you base right next to a big rock and just jump onto it whenever they get near. They can't reach you from on top of there. It's obviously not close to peaceful mode, but you get the point. Waiting until the game receives more updates is not a bad idea, though.

Linius

Build you base right next to a big rock and just jump onto it whenever they get near. They can't reach you from on top of there. It's obviously not close to peaceful mode, but you get the point. Waiting until the game receives more updates is not a bad idea, though.

Oh, I misunderstood your post. I some how thought you meant building a base around one of those creeps, like it would scare the rest away or something :p

Anyways, I'll be waiting to see what other stuff they'll add to the game. On the one hand it's interesting to be part of a game from the beginning but I'll just sit tight.

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh, I misunderstood your post. I some how thought you meant building a base around one of those creeps, like it would scare the rest away or something :p

Anyways, I'll be waiting to see what other stuff they'll add to the game. On the one hand it's interesting to be part of a game from the beginning but I'll just sit tight.
Probably for the best. I just started up the game and it deleted my save game.

Korten

Banned
Question, so what is the "end"-game currently. So I built a fort, but after that what do you do? Do more cannibals and such and the monsters start to arrive as more days pass?

1cmanny1

A mere rock will outsmart them currently. Building your base around one is basically like peaceful mode!

When I first played I put my shelter behind one of those huge trees, I never saw any enemies come to my base.

I have been impressed by these quick-ish updates. Tropico 5 devs should take note.

Linius

When I first played I put my shelter behind one of those huge trees, I never saw any enemies come to my base.

I have been impressed by these quick-ish updates. Tropico 5 devs should take note.

And they do most of the work with only four people and some temps.

Updates are coming quicker than anticipated here, nice to see them jump on stuff asap.

The game is running a bit smoother since the last time i tried, and i can save too.

rafbanaan

Finally got myself a little base of operation. Next phase is building a second wall and some exploring ^^

They may reduce the amount of patrols :/ I've also noticed that after some time I can't cook anymore on a specific fireplace.

If you guys are having issues with too many patrols, you can try building your base farther away from the plane crash.

That's been working for me.

Also my save was deleted too :(

Zaphod

Saves are still a bit wonky. I reinstalled the game but only half my inventory makes it through.

The game looks smoother than launch though. Better than most games at max settings on my system, especially with the massive amount of foliage and trees. If these guys keep it up this will be an amazing game.

Grief.exe

If you guys are having issues with too many patrols, you can try building your base farther away from the plane crash.

That's been working for me.

That worked for me as well. The plane crash will obviously be inspected by the locals eventually, but there always seems to be settlements in the area as well.

They may reduce the amount of patrols :/ I've also noticed that after some time I can't cook anymore on a specific fireplace.

I've been putting all my fireplaces outside my base lol.

red731

staring-llama-o.gif

I can't even imagine how many hours did that took. Holy shit that is impressive.

ed: And here I am, in my litle shelter, without walls and so aggressive to hit first that I can't survive long enough :D

I haven't had time to try this again, but I don't think food actually matters in the current build.

I pressed escape and left the game in the menu while I was away. When I came back, I was starving but my health was full. Just kept playing the game and didn't bother to eat or pay attention to any warnings ie: cold, build fire.

Was this a glitch or what? I don't have the time atm to start a new game and wait to see if it happens every time.

Grief.exe

They have been updating the beta depot on the data base quite a bit this afternoon, so hopefully they are readying the patch.

New patch is downloading now.

New features and gameplay tweaks:

Sharks
Simple raft now buildable via book (No Sail yet!)
Walls can now snap to form floors and roofs (experimental, can defy gravity)
New suprise item added to yacht
When being knocked out for first time you will now wake up in a random cave
Lowered fall damage amount
Birds can be killed with fire
Stamina recharge now takes longer
You can now block attacks with the red plane axe by holding down right mouse button
Timmy taken scene a little more dramatic, better lighting, sparks
Lowered intensity and range of fire light
Lowered health on turtle
Improved fish movement
Increased range of lighter
Enemies will drag downed friends out of danger again
Females will sometimes freak out at dying family members

Performance:

Improved load times
Reduced stutter
Overall performance increases
Big memory optimizations, should help crashing on some pc’s
Improved cave wall memory usage
Dropped sticks and rocks are now pooled and shouldn’t increase memory over time
Optimized hud rendering (10% faster on cpu)

World:

Improved lake water swim zones
Ocean swim zones now correctly rise and fall with tide
Underwater visuals improved
Improved terrain in some areas, reduced lumpiness in rocky area, fixed issues with caves poking through terrain
Fixed super deep ponds that could kill players by falling into them
Small old boat collision added
Plane exterior collision added
Improved balance on some grass textures (less bright)
Lowered top heavy pine tree to be easier to cut
Lots of small material/texture tweaks
Sunset/sunrise made brighter
Beach cave entrances made bigger and easier to enter
Improved world collision in some areas
Improved low resolution mountain textures
Improved terrain rendering and missing specular
improved cave lighting and details (caves 4,5)

Bugs:

Fixed countdown timer not taking different time zones into account
Fixed some spelling mistakes in tutorials and in survival book
Fixed shelter on fire spawning infinite logs
Fixed bug where day count was 1 more than it should be
Fixed issue where sticks,rocks and logs needed could go to -1
Fixed not switching back to default weapon after holding lizard, rabbit or fish
Fixed player not colliding with things tagged ‘Prop’
Fixed light leaking into parts of some caves
Fixed bug where you couldn’t cook multiple times on same campfire
Fixed spear being able to cut down trees
Fixed ponds flickering at certain distances
Fixed some items not being saved in inventory when game is loaded (some might still vanish, expect more saving fixes/improvements soon)
Fixed log holder not saving logs on load/save
Fixed twinberries not having eat icon and having wrong leaf texture
Fixed bloody tables in cave not being cut out of nav mesh
Fixed lizard and rabbit skin triggers not being connected to ragdoll body
Removed extra set of teeth and eyes appearing behind Timmy
Chopping dead bodies no longer results in player flying into the air
Animals no longer spawn multiple copies if on fire
Cannibals shouldn’t run underwater or follow player out to the boat (they might run a little bit into water however)
Fixed some bushes missing vertex colors when cut
Fixed birds landing in sky, improved bird a.i. and performance

http://steamcommunity.com/games/242760/announcements/detail/1695917688584627726

Top Bottom