• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forest Early Access Thread - Run Forest Run

Yeah, the mutants are pretty amazing. My favorite encounter happened while I was spear fishing. I look down and after about 30 seconds I look back up to change my position only to see about 3 mutants staring right back out me. I got the fuck out of there quickly.

It's a shame that the game isn't scarier. I was startled by the natives the very first time I encountered them but now they're like Zombies in DayZ, not much of a threat and more of a nuisance.

sunnz

It's a shame that the game isn't scarier. I was startled by the natives the very first time I encountered them but now they're like Zombies in DayZ, not much of a threat and more of a nuisance.

I always find the way they just stand there and stare at you unsettling, all the time.
The times were they walk by and don't see you but you see them are pretty intense, since you scramble to hide and be unseen ( which makes me ask, does covering yourself in mud make you less visible? logic says it should but doesn't seem to be the case)

But they are annoying sometimes though, like fuck off, I just want to build a nice cozy place :p

9. Are the Cannibals all part of one large clan? Or will there be separate clans spread across the islands (ones that are less aggressive than the others, etc.) ? If so can we expect to see interactions between them, such as trading, invasions, or ritualistic/cultural ceremonies?

We have multiple types of cannibals and these have different actions, both towards each other and towards the player - but due to spoilers can’t really discuss them.

should be more interesting encounters in the future to keep things fresh

Pachimari

The mutants are super easy to get rid of though. Just throw a molotov cocktail and they're gone - and you have a lot of molotovs.

should be more interesting encounters in the future to keep things fresh

Yeah there were mutated ones in the trailer that looked cool.

Right now they're just not much of a threat, they show up and run into my fires all the time and end up killing themselves.

I think it's cos the game just hurls them at you constantly, instead of like waiting for night to fall and they sneak up to your camp in the bushes. They'res no mystery to them or suspense

IMACOMPUTA

I only played for a couple hours, but it seems like if you look away from them, they can teleport to you.. It was really lame if that was the case :(

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yeah there were mutated ones in the trailer that looked cool.

Right now they're just not much of a threat, they show up and run into my fires all the time and end up killing themselves.

I think it's cos the game just hurls them at you constantly, instead of like waiting for night to fall and they sneak up to your camp in the bushes. They'res no mystery to them or suspense

They attack me all the time, no matter how many axe swings I do, they never seem to die. I end up dying, going into the cave, then going back to my home camp, and then get attacked again, still swinging my axe at them...then I die.

It's frustrating, I can't seem to figure out the damage model on them at all. It's also frustrating that you can't defend yourself unless you build an insanely large defensive wall that takes forever in a day.

xBladeM6x

Isn't the point of the game to delete your file when you die..?

Or do you mean there is no way to save currently and thus quitting also deletes the file?

If you quit the game even once, there's no save file. That's the bug. Your'e forced to start completely new for just turning the game off.

xBladeM6x

Saving isn't fixed, I just tried it out.

Supernatural-Dean.gif

Here is the official statement on the ETA of the Save fix, as well as what was in the small update we recently recieved;

"Ben made a really quick bug fix, We had some really minor clean up issues and some steam technical issues. There's going to be the proper hot fix with saving loading and some performance improvements Monday or tuesday"

Here is the official statement on the ETA of the Save fix, as well as what was in the small update we recently recieved;

"Ben made a really quick bug fix, We had some really minor clean up issues and some steam technical issues. There's going to be the proper hot fix with saving loading and some performance improvements Monday or tuesday"

Nice, thanks for posting this.

Grief.exe

Excellent.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anyone else a bit bothered by this game? lol I thought I'd seen it all. It feels very cruel. It's the scariest survival game I've played in a while. Maybe that's because it deals with cannibals and not dumb moving zombies.

Went cave exploring and found two of the bigger monsters. They didn't do anything though.

Also be careful chopping up dead people.

rafbanaan

Thanks for it! Was searching for an ETA and what the patch was about.

Spoo

Also be careful chopping up dead people.

Fucking this.

Was having a great game (built my own fort, a fire, had tons of supplies + flare gun, armor, and my fort was *right next to an enemy camp* -- surviving the first few nights was crazy), all to end by dead-body launching when I went to build a large effigy.

I really dig the vision of this game, but man, it's going to be a hard couple month wait until the game stabilizes itself to the point where we can truly start talking balancing and mechanics with devs and have a *good* back-and-forth about it. There's a laundry list I have of possible features (like, having the log-holder automatically "suck up" wood you cut down to make it more useful and time-saving), but I feel like those are discussions that, in general, have to take a backseat to general game stability because they aren't really game-breaking.

xBladeM6x

Any word on the save patch, since it was rumored to be out today? (Don't own the game yet, so I can't test for myself.)

Grief.exe

Anyone else a bit bothered by this game? lol I thought I'd seen it all. It feels very cruel. It's the scariest survival game I've played in a while. Maybe that's because it deals with cannibals and not dumb moving zombies.

All part of the fun!

Imagine if DayZ had enemies like this.

teokrazia

Played my first game, long about half hour.
So many things to catch, so much unpolished/incomplete stuff, but the overall feeling is promising.

Zaphod

I've had fun so far. It looks amazing for a game from a small team, and not just how the forest looks. The movement of the cannibals is extra creepy.

I hope the save bug gets fixed soon, although I'm not lasting that long to really need it so far.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
All part of the fun!

Imagine if DayZ had enemies like this.

Oh I know. I don't see why other games like this (7 Days to Die or Rust) don't go all out with the atmosphere. Sure if there was an actual zombie attack you'd have limbs and/or body parts everywhere. I like this because you're sensing the fear before you even see the enemies. I think that shows a lot of western horror or just Texas Chainsaw Massacre. You sense your threat is making a base for themselves, not just showing up in packs and roaming the area. Which is still creepy, don't get me wrong.

You get one of these games and another one comes out with the same survival strategy and you can't get everyone to purchase every single game. I own most of the other survival/building games and I believe this one is the scariest of the lot. Worst part is, they're all in Alpha or Beta! They also seem to be taking after one and/or another, for example; the cargo drop (7DTD now has cargo drops because Rust had them first I guess).

The gameplay loop (gathering and crafting) is really tedious, but it feels actually quite tense in the end. The bugs are so pervasive at this stage though that it's reaLly easy to mess up your efforts. Will surely fire it up again in a couple of weeks.

On a sidenote, I bought Capsule together with this game (also 20% off atm). I had a better time with that game - beware the lenght though.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I know the game is in Alpha but this cracked me up :

ibyh49Gdy8Uoj8.gif

Also had 2 of them running around under the sailboat and killed 1 with molotov under water, lol. This game has a ways to go but I am enjoying it anyways.

red731

Was playing this with a friend yesterday.

There well canibal camps everywhere we went in search for good spot to lay low and create something.

We startled some canibals and the batlle was broght to rocks near beach. We were fighting for our lives and then we've turned the opposite way to run away -

two, not moving motherfuckers, stared right into our souls and we both yelled.

Scariest thing ever.

Top Bottom