• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forest Early Access Thread - Run Forest Run

ExodusRex

Neo Member
Along with the save bug I've noticed the game wont pause when in menus. I hit the escape button got up and fed my cat and came back to the start menu. Guess it wasnt just my cat who was hungry.

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm enjoying this alpha more than I thought.

Now for odd bird AI behavior

PVAVdAq.jpg

Grief.exe

From the Tweets I get the impression that the hotfix is coming somewhat soon.

I wonder if this Save hot fix will delay the next update.

They honestly should have accounted for this in their planning for the next update. Whenever you release a game you are going to need to send out a hotfix or two to patch up some issues.

Why does this game look better than Day Z and H1Z1 and its an indie game made by like 10 people? I mean I know the reason but still.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Another weird bug that occurred to me was that weapons would duplicate each time I dropped them to the ground, so I ended up with an infinite supply of flare guns

Also there seems to be a limited number of mutants. They assaulted me a couple of times when I was building a cottage in the plane crash site but after shooting them down they never reappeared anywhere in the island

Mature

Along with the save bug I've noticed the game wont pause when in menus. I hit the escape button got up and fed my cat and came back to the start menu. Guess it wasnt just my cat who was hungry.
You sure this is a bug?

Another weird bug that occurred to me was that weapons would duplicate each time I dropped them to the ground, so I ended up with an infinite supply of flare guns
Ah, yeah, this has happened to me a handful of times.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Where is a good place to find rope? Suitcases have mostly cloths and booze, can't find any. Haven't searched the tent camps yet though.

sunnz

If it takes this long to get a save fix, I honestly have doubts for other, more difficult to add content and features/future updates...

sunnz

Let's just give them the benefit of the doubt. It can be super stressful being in a development enviroment.

That is true, plus there are like 4 of them, I just want to play the game.
I really do enjoy it but not having my progress save kinda defeats the purpose of playing it.

Chabbles

This game is early alpha, right ?. Is there going to be a story to complete in the game?. and if so, is there a time frame for when the story elements will be implemented into the build ?

I really want to try this, but im trying to force myself not to buy into any more early access games.. but will probably end up buying it tonight anyhow.

charsace

Why does this game look better than Day Z and H1Z1 and its an indie game made by like 10 people? I mean I know the reason but still.

The guys have special effects experience outside of game development I think.

If it takes this long to get a save fix, I honestly have doubts for other, more difficult to add content and features/future updates...

Relax. Saving data is a real bitch to work out. And Unity doesn't really provide good tools for it.

Razorskin

----- ------
This game is early alpha, right ?. Is there going to be a story to complete in the game?. and if so, is there a time frame for when the story elements will be implemented into the build ?

I really want to try this, but im trying to force myself not to buy into any more early access games.. but will probably end up buying it tonight anyhow.

There are already some story elements in the game right now.

maneil99

Was playing this with a friend yesterday.

There well canibal camps everywhere we went in search for good spot to lay low and create something.

We startled some canibals and the batlle was broght to rocks near beach. We were fighting for our lives and then we've turned the opposite way to run away -

two, not moving motherfuckers, stared right into our souls and we both yelled.

Scariest thing ever.
How did you play Co Op.

Grief.exe

Besides the intro and the child been taken, theres more story elements ?

You have to progress and explore the caves to further the story, but people, myself included, are probably putting off the end-game exploration until the save patch drops.

There might be some more information on Reddit or the Steam forums from people who have progressed further, but I'm hoping to avoid that to experience that content for myself.

charsace

Saving games has been a problem for a few indie releases lately:

- Stonehearth

- Stomping Land

- The Forest

Saving games requires converting to another format and in some cases protecting the save file so it can't be edited. In a game like this where the world keeps track of a lot of things and some of it is procedural saving can be difficult. It isn't going to be easy as something like a tile map editor that allows users to make levels.

You have to progress and explore the caves to further the story, but people, myself included, are probably putting off the end-game exploration until the save patch drops.

There might be some more information on Reddit or the Steam forums from people who have progressed further, but I'm hoping to avoid that to experience that content for myself.
You ever play State of Decay? Is the story like that?

Zaphod

The steam forum thread on the save fix has been updated.

6/4/2014 UPDATE: They are pushing to have it out today, but it isn't certain. I will update this thread with information as I get it

sunnz

Any word on when the "no enemies" mode will come out?

I feel I will use that a lot when it does.

I would personally prefer for them to make enemies less common and appear more later in the game, instead of when you are literally just off the plane.

Or have the effigies makes enemies less likely to spawn near the location it is located ( i think they said it was random and sometimes they do actually reduce the amount of times they appear)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/242760/announcements/detail/1695917061304466406

Update is out....

Hey Everyone, Here’s our first small update to ‘The Forest’. While we were working on the saving issues we also had a chance to fix a few other things. Here is the changelog for the “hotfix”:

Saving at small shelter now works
Fixed issue where camera would spin during plane crash if a controller was plugged in
Fixed enemies sometimes disappearing after a few days
Improved tree collision
Fixed log cabin floating
Fixed some leaves not connected to trunk
Improved stuttering/performance
Removed lights from blue cave creatures
Fixed trees vanishing when exiting caves
Fixed bug where cave sounds could be heard above ground
Spelling mistake on shelter ‘warmth’ in book
Improved collision in some cave areas
Fixed missing cliff detail texture
Ocean shouldn’t loose render texture on start
Water visuals improved
Fixed enemy head duplicating when picked up
Fixed glitch where you could make infinite flare guns
Fixed enemy head icon not centered, and showing an arm instead of a head
Heads/arms and legs now go to inventory instead of being directly equipped
Bird on hand does not appear as often

Please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub or send them in to support@endnightgame.com.

Chabbles

Ok, cool. I was watching some random twitch stream a couple nights back, and the streamer said there was very little story in there right now, and how they were going to get the story integrated in a later build. Is end game story (if there is an end game) in there already ?

Edit,
I picked it up last night and played for a few hours. Im liking what they got so far.

Grief.exe

See it as kickstarter, but with something to play while they're working on finishing the game.

That is how I see these things, it is a Kickstarter with a tangible product to play instead of some concept work and a promise.

I just can't comprehend the impatience some people have with these projects, but then again I don't think many actually understand what the game development process actually entails.

RulkezX

That is how I see these things, it is a Kickstarter with a tangible product to play instead of some concept work and a promise.

I just can't comprehend the impatience some people have with these projects, but then again I don't think many actually understand what the game development process actually entails.

Because early access is slowly but surely becoming *letschargeforaproofofconcept*.

Helping fund games and shape development is a great idea , but for me going forward I'm gonna need to see if the devs put a lot more work into the releases before I buy in.

YMMV of course

Grief.exe

Sorry for being so delayed on this. Added to the OP as well.

Hey Everyone, Here’s our first small update to ‘The Forest’. While we were working on the saving issues we also had a chance to fix a few other things. Here is the changelog for the “hotfix”:

Save “Hotfix” - alpha v0.01b

• Saving at small shelter now works
  • Fixed issue where camera would spin during plane crash if a controller was plugged in
  • Fixed enemies sometimes disappearing after a few days
  • Improved tree collision
  • Fixed log cabin floating
  • Fixed some leaves not connected to trunk
  • Improved stuttering/performance
  • Removed lights from blue cave creatures
  • Fixed trees vanishing when exiting caves
  • Fixed bug where cave sounds could be heard above ground
  • Spelling mistake on shelter ‘warmth’ in book
  • Improved collision in some cave areas
  • Fixed missing cliff detail texture
  • Ocean shouldn’t loose render texture on start
  • Water visuals improved
  • Fixed enemy head duplicating when picked up
  • Fixed glitch where you could make infinite flare guns
  • Fixed enemy head icon not centered, and showing an arm instead of a head
  • Heads/arms and legs now go to inventory instead of being directly equipped
  • Bird on hand does not appear as often

http://steamcommunity.com/games/242760/announcements/detail/1695917061304466406

rafbanaan

Finally I have a Cabin Log and a shelter in it. I was hoping that I could use the Cabin Log to save my game, but nope :p

From the moment I started till I stopped, I've lost 30 fps..

Finally I have a Cabin Log and a shelter in it. I was hoping that I could use the Cabin Log to save my game, but nope :p

From the moment I started till I stopped, I've lost 30 fps..

I think there is a memory leak in the game.

Everyone is able to hold down the left mouse button to chop trees down correct? I'm still having to click every swing.

For such a small team I have to say I am impressed by the amount of stuff they already fixed. If only DayZ team could do the same :/

Overdoziz

Banned
Saving seems to work now, yay. It does come with some issue at the moment, though. Loading makes all trees and bushes respawn, a lot of items in your inventory seemingly disappear but are still there except invisible, time of day isn't saved, and structures that weren't finished yet disappear. No real big problems, though, so it's all good.

I do hope they fix cooking soon, that's the biggest annoyance for me. Right now you have to build a new fireplace to cook at whenever you burn your food or you've cooked at it several times. I don't want to end up with dozens of fireplaces.

For such a small team I have to say I am impressed by the amount of stuff they already fixed. If only DayZ team could do the same :/
Oh please. Talk about apples and oranges.

Top Bottom