• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

Metal B

Is there any Videogame Award, which actually awards the people behind the games. Like Award for the Best Level-Design, Award for the Best Atmosphere, Award for the Best Menu, Award for the Best UI, Award for the Smartest Mechanic, Award for the Best Game-Balance or something like this.

imBask

Banned
Is there any Videogame Award, which actually awards the people behind the games. Like Award for the Best Level-Design, Award for the Best Atmosphere, Award for the Best Menu, Award for the Best UI, Award for the Smartest Mechanic, Award for the Best Game-Balance or something like this.

nah because video game isn't art, it's nothing like Cinema or TV or Music you know

Ridesh

Banned
GOTY nominees prediction: Bayonetta 2 - Dark Souls II - Dragon Age: Inquisition - Shadow of Mordor - Super Smash Bros Wii U

MYeager

I'd actually like to see some of those as categories. Best use of interface and level design in particular.

SmokyDave

Is it 2013 again?
They weren't docked points in their reviews for being remasters so it wouldn't make much sense to treat them differently for awards purposes.

That said, I doubt anyone would dare choose either (especially TLOU). The ensuing rage would blot out the sun.

wapplew

This should be the format. Let those UI, lever designer get some spotlight.

munchie64

Shadow of Mordor not getting nominated for GotY would be my biggest disappointment probably. Most "Next Gen" game so far this gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Let's be fair, GoTY nominees will be

GTA V, Dragon Age, Destiny, WatchDogs and Call of duty

Judging by reviews and overlapping that with what critics historically vote for game of the year, I'd guess:

Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Call of Duty, and probably an indie darling like Transistor

Judging by reviews and overlapping that with what critics historically vote for game of the year, I'd guess:

Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Call of Duty, and probably an indie darling like Transistor

Transistor got good reviews, but I don't recall the press raving about it. What other notable indies releases were this year? You don't think Bayo has a chance then? Didn't it review extremely well? Otherwise I agree with your list.

EhoaVash

goty will be between Dark souls 2, dragon age I, far cry 4, SHadows of mordor and either south park stick of truth or CoD AW

Remasters getting nominated for anything other than "Best Remaster" would ruin the credibility of this show before it even starts.

The games already came out, they had their time in the limelight. Remasters are for the fans and shareholders. They don't deserve to earn awards two years in a row.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Transistor got good reviews, but I don't recall the press raving about it. What other notable indies releases were this year? You don't think Bayo has a chance then? Didn't it review extremely well? Otherwise I agree with your list.

Ethan Carter reviewed quite well, as did Shovel Knight, but I'm not sure enough people played Shovel Knight for it to have a chance.

I left Bayonetta out as despite really high reviews, it feels like that type of game rarely ever gets Game of the Year nominations.

Similarly Smash, Dark Souls II, Reaper of Souls, and PersonaQ all reviewed really well, but I don't expect them to earn GOTY awards either. I can't remember a fighting game ever winning GOTY despite very high reviews, but I could be wrong.

Basically the types of games that win Game of the Year awards are heavily cinematic story games or open world system and exploration driven games that still have a strong story presence and cinematic aspects.

Arion

I am ready for disappointment.

I hope we see Bayonetta 2. That's really the only game that sticks out as best of the best this year for me.

Nibel

Basically the types of games that win Game of the Year awards are heavily cinematic story games or open world system driven games that still have a strong story presence and cinematic aspects.

You could have just written Dragon Age Inquisition!

Konosuke

If Destiny is nominated for GOTY then this show is a fluke. Also GTAV next gen is a bigger improvement than TLoU:R, so it should win if both are nominated.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You could have just written Dragon Age Inquisition!

I feel Mordor and Far Cry fit that mold quite well too. Mordor has a newcomer aspect, Far Cry has a sequel that didn't implode aspect, and Dragon Age has the best recovery aspect.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm hoping they dig more into certain niche genres and indie titles than these shows typically do.

Though betting some heavily marketed games, such as Assassin Creed's Unity, will be in multiple categories, even if it doesn't really deserve it.

I feel Mordor and Far Cry fit that mold quite well too. Mordor has a newcomer aspect, Far Cry has a sequel that didn't implode aspect, and Dragon Age has the best recovery aspect.

I feel Mordor is the Tomb Raider of this year. Mid-80s but still a ton of GOTY nominees

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm hoping they dig more into certain niche genres and indie titles than these shows typically do.

Though betting some heavily marketed games, such as Assassin Creed's Unity, will be in multiple categories, even if it doesn't really deserve it.

If it's like the VGAs, then there are 30 journalists who send in their votes and then IIRC do another vote based on the remaining five for each category.

Eolz

The show is automatically a joke if Bayonetta 2 is not nominated, not even in the WiiU section if they don't dare put it in the GOTY category.
Shame as they seem to have fixed a lot of the VGA/X problems from what was announced.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel Mordor is the Tomb Raider of this year. Mid-80s but still a ton of GOTY nominees

I also would like to compare it to Batman: Arkham Asylum, which wasn't absolutely through the roof critically (compared to the bar at the time 91 felt below the oft common 95+s), but had an incredibly good end of year reception.

Top Bottom