• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

Really conflicted about Hearthstone on this list. Being played by tens of millions of people is one thing, but it's also free.I don't think the scale of Hearthstone is even comparable to dozens of other games that failed to reach this category. Just my two cents.
Design and UI are incredible for sure. But when I imagine a sizzle reel of these games and then reaching Hearthstone..I just don't know.

Scratch the surface and the layers of complexity build up much more quickly than many AAA games.

So I take it December releases are never nominated for GOTY in these awards? Or are they taken into consideration for 2015's GOTY?

phanphare

Banned
http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

Alien Isolation
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor

Smash Bros. and Tropical Freeze should be on that list IMO. Of course, Smash isn't out yet and DK was a february game, I can see why it's missing.

Seems weird the show happens a month before the end of the year. It's not really a GOTY, it's game of January-November.

perhaps they left Tropical Freeze off so there'd actually be a competition

because let's be real, nothing this year comes close unless you want to use Smash which is basically cheating

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nominee categories I found interesting:

Best Sound/Music:
-Alien Isolation
-Child of Light
-Destiny
-Sunset Overdrive
-Transistor

Best Remaster:
-Grand Theft Auto V
-Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire
-The Last Of Us Remastered
-The Master Chief Collection
-Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Best Shooter
-Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
-Destiny
-Far Cry 4
-Titanfall
-Wolfenstein: New Order

Best Action/Adventure:
-Alien Isolation
-Assassin’s Creed Unity
-Bayonetta 2
-Shadows of Mordor
-Sunset Overdrive

Best Role-Playing Game:
-Braverly Default
-Dark Souls II
-Divinity
-Dragon Age: Inquisition
-South Park: The Stick Of Truth

And Trending Gamer and Fan Creation.

Really conflicted about Hearthstone on this list. Being played by tens of millions of people is one thing, but it's also free.I don't think the scale of Hearthstone is even comparable to dozens of other games that failed to reach this category. Just my two cents.
Design and UI are incredible for sure. But when I imagine a sizzle reel of these games and then reaching Hearthstone..I just don't know.

I too believe that all games should be judged by how exciting their sizzle reels are.

sasliquid

I don't feel bayonetta 2 was different enough (haven't played it yet tho)
Dark souls 2 winning would be a disservice to how weaker it was than DS1
Haven't played DA or Mordor but excited to soon (though I don't think the latter has a chance)

Really hearthstone is my goty and would like to see it win. I think it would be a big push of credibility to well made f2p games

Overall it's been a weak year though

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'd forgotten how surreal it can be to step into mainstream gaming side threads

StuBurns

Banned
The Action/Adventure thing kind of sucks. What's the point when only two of those can possibly win? And when one does, we also know which one can't possibly win GotY.

Conduit

Banned
Best Action/Adventure:
-Alien Isolation
-Assassin’s Creed Unity
-Bayonetta 2
-Shadows of Mordor
-Sunset Overdrive

That game shouldn't be on that list!!!

Nice to see Bravely Default get its due, and Mario Kart 8 in the racing category. But not Tropical Freeze in the soundtrack category is a huge snub.

The Game of the Year list is surprisingly diverse, and devoid of the dudebro games which normally dominate these shows.

kewlmyc

I'm actually glad that it's not user voting. Maybe we can have an actual interesting Game Awards this year.

Also, the amount of games that falls into the "Action/Adventure" category is staggering.

StuBurns

Banned
I played the first and from what I've seen there hasn't been a big change in how it plays. I will pick it up when I get a wii u.
Absolutely true, but in what possible way does that mean it shouldn't win GotY?

Also, how does DS2 being worse than DS1 mean anything? If it's still the best game of the year, so be it.

Crayolan

I'd much rather Bayonetta 2 get the nomination if for no other reason than giving exposure to the game. It might actually help sales a bit and Platinum can surely use every sale they can get.

I'm just talking about the soundtrack category, which Bayo 2 isn't on either.

I hope you don't seriously think I expected TPP to be a GOTY nominee...did you? It's not a game...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There are a few things I wish were separated. While I understand action-adventure being together, I feel the games can be radically different between action and adventure and that they both might of done better as separate categories.

I also think that instead of doing Sound/Music together, maybe they should of had Best Score, and then a Best Atmosphere category. Too many games with great soundtracks/atmospheres in them.

I also think online experience should be multiplayer experience. There's a lack of local multiplayer fun listed, personally speaking.

DieH@rd

Banned
Weak.

Sunset did surely get robbed. Someone will have to pay for this grave injustice.

28 jury members sent their list with 5 nominations per each category, and all those votes made final lists. I don't see what else could Geoff do to make these lists more "accurate".

There are complaints to be made about a lot of these nominees, just like any award show, but at the same time it's really well done. I can take this seriously.

"Best game no one bought"

k2-_33a796f0-a33d-4ed0-a9e6-42fbde2c3624.v1.jpg
says hello.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
GOTY Nominees:

Bayo 2
Dark Souls 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Hearthstone
Shadow of Mordor
What's "Hearthstone"? Google says it's some F2P cards game. Why is it on this list instead of Sunset. Life isn't fair.

Say what

Drive Club doesn't even get a look in in the sports/racing category. Speaking of which, why are sports/racing not separate categories?

atr0cious

I really don't like that games that were either bait and switched or having technical problems like DS2 and unity are even considered. But the show is being put on my the publishers, so of course I shouldn't expect anything less.

Top Bottom