• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club |OT| Golf Sim Bliss

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jh6szKF.png

• Developer | HB Studios
  • Publisher | HB Studios
  • Platform(s) | PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
  • Genre | Sports Simulation
  • PC and Xbox One Release | August 19th, 2014
  • Playstation 4 Release | August 26th, 2014
  • Price | $34.99

What is The Golf Club?
In the simplest sense, The Golf Club is pure golf simulation. Titles like Hot Shots and Mario Golf fall into the arcade sports sim. Tiger Woods is more of a realistic sim versus an arcade sim, however many features included in that series sway it away from a pure golf simulation. I tend to compare Tiger Woods with Gold Tee in how you can power up your shots and your golfer.

The Golf Club eliminates power ups, leveling, and other sorts of advancements that so often show up in games like this. Instead, your progress is measured solely on how your scores improve.

Note: The developers have stated that some sort of progression measuring system may be implemented, but I think it's safe to say that it will not be in the form of better clubs, tees, balls, etc. However, additional information is available at this time. Read below:

Hello Members, Old and New,

The Golf Club has now been officially released on all platforms and throughout the world, and I have to say as a team we’re extremely proud of the game. As a developer, when you get to the point of releasing your game it is common to be a little sick of it but we can’t get enough of it here. To boot up the game at the weekend and see the rest of the team out on the course was a great moment!

As seems to be the new trend throughout the industry at the moment, we did suffer some server issues on the first day of release back on August 19th. Prior to full release we carried out a succession of stress tests on our servers but nothing prepared us for the amount of hits the server received from the early eager members on the Xbox One. We were able to react pretty quickly, though, and a lot of the connection issues were ironed out within 24hrs. The plus side was that, thanks to the PC and Xbox One versions ploughing the furrow, when we released on PS4 here was already a fix in place.
Now that The Golf Club is on the virtual shelf, we want to give you an update of what we’re doing in the short-term and mid-term. The hard work hasn’t ended, it’s really only just begun and we are very excited about being able to continue to evolve and enhance the game over the coming months.

Xbox One

This is the version with which we have seen the most issues and, thus, we’ve been focusing most of our efforts on it over the last couple of weeks. The big issues were mainly down to some memory leaks that were not apparent in the development environment. Leaving the game running over a period of time caused most of the problems. A hard reset of the console would get rid of these but that certainly isn’t ideal.
The other two key issues that the PS4 and PC versions don’t suffer from are with frame rate and graphical fidelity. The latter really comes to the fore when a user has their Xbox One display resolution set at 1080 whilst the game runs at 720.
We’re close to finalising a patch for submission to Microsoft now, we’re just giving a good testing before we do, this will have the following key issues resolved or improved plus some other, more minor fixes:

•Memory Leaks Fixed (Course Saving Issues, Improved Frame Rate, Audio Issues)
•Terrain Sculpting issues (Less blocky)
•Front End Improvements (V-Sync Option)
•Golfer covering the putting info
•Too Many Friends issue (Having lots of Xbox Live friends would cause frame rate issues and connection issues)
•UI hesitation when network access is poor

With this going to Microsoft early next week, we’re hoping it’ll go live within 2 weeks.
Graphically we’re still working on improvements, but with the size of the area in view we really are putting a lot of pressure on the GPU. We can’t dictate what the player is seeing because, with the course editor, people could create anything. So to keep the frame rate high, we’ve needed to drop to 720p. We will continue to work on this though and slowly push to 900p and above. It’ll just take a bit of time.

PS4

We’ve already had a first patch out for the PS4, this seemed to stop the issues that the Xbox players were seeing. We have found a few crash issues though and we’re looking into them at the moment. Once they’re done we’ll put another build into Sony with those fixes and some of the minor issues that we’ve cleaned up day to day since release.

PC

An update went live last night boasting numerous improvements. The whole process of getting quick patches up is a lot easier on the PC and I’m hoping this patch has enhanced the experience for a lot of you. The biggest issue we’re seeing seems to be with Graphic Card temperatures at excessive resolutions. We’re still working on ironing this out completely. The big one being not actually giving people the option to crank the settings up to levels for PC’s that haven’t been invented yet. Bear with us, the work we do on this improves both the PC and console versions so it’s top of our list to sort out.

Mid-Term Plans

After these patches are out we’re going to be working on feature and enhancement updates. We will be aiming for roughly a 6 to 8 week cycle for these over the autumn and winter (or Spring and Summer for those in the Southern Hemisphere). The reason for 6 weeks at a minimum is primarily due to first party submission times. We need to plan for a 3 week minimum submission time (submit / fail / fix / submit) for feature updates (pure bug fixes are a little quicker at 5 to 10 days) with 3 to 5 weeks of development time beforehand.

We’ve sat down and discussed where we want the game to go and what the community has a desire to see. Gameplay-wise we seem to be in good shape. Everyone has their own little gripe but the overall feedback is very positive on this side of things although he punch shot will certainly be improved. The big challenge is providing players with a a sense of progress and improvement which, in turn, creates a long term sense of achievement. Luckily for us, we already store everything we’ll ever need to improve this so we just need to surface it and create that world that will really give the game an extra dimension. We are going to be looking at a handicap system and a country club-style clan set up plus some extended player customisation. We’ll also be putting out a few new themes, such as a tropical one, improving the depth of commentary, adding a few more play modes, improved course editing tools and some special JCauthen cameras (as we call them here).

Over the weeks ahead I’ll be filling you in more with what the plans are but for now thanks for the feedback, together we’ve made a great, fun game that is only going to get better. Keep the suggestions and requests coming.
Anthony

Features
Single player - Exactly like grabbing your clubs and heading to the links.
Multi-player - I can't comment on this yet. From what I've seen, if you play a course that someone on your friend's list has played, you will see their shots occurring with yours. I will flesh this out once I know more.
Course creator - Quite possibly one of most revolutionary additions to golf simulation ever, The Golf Club features an incredibly robust course creator. More on this below.

Your Golfer
*Coming soon*
The_Golf_Club_Xbox_One_07.jpg

Course Creator
As stated above, this is a major addition to golf simulation games. With the course creator, you are able to create an unlimited number of courses. Rather than going into all the details, check out the following video:

Part 1

There are 6 parts that this YouTuber does that you can go into if you're interested.

The basic premise is that you determine how many trees your course will have, how much water, and how hilly it is (as seen below):

The_Golf_Club_Xbox_One_05.jpg

The game will generate a course for you (based on a few additional parameters):

Golf-Club-4.jpg

And from here, you can begin tweaking. I haven't toyed with the creator enough to understand how it works, but a few GAF'ers have.

Additional Screenshots

YK9Ti5M.png

Super corny banner, but guess what? It stands out and you noticed it! Feel free to post your info in the thread and I'll update the OP. And regarding your custom courses, make it easy and just PM me the name of your course. If you have a really awesome custom you've found, feel free to post it or PM it to me as well (but indicate that it's NOT yours).

Listed as GAF name - network name

PSN
nicoga3000 - nicoga3000
brerwolfe - Brerwolfe
eznark - thekranz
chris121580 - Invisblswordsman
NHale - NFFD
SolsticeZero - SolsticeZero
TheMissingLink - TheMissingLink
Rain City Gamer - Seamount4Life
krpiper - krpiper
AbandonedTrolley - AbandonedTrolley

Xbox
FinFan - FinFan

PC/Steam
eznark - eznark
505zoom - 505zoom

Custom Courses By GAF
The Cabin in the Hilly Woods - Toma
The Gauntlet - Dano

Recommended Custom Courses

Thanks to backbreaker65 for linking these. Worth watching!

Icefire1424

Hoping that this is a typo:

Playstation 4 Release | August 26th, 2015

Haven't played a golf game since old school Mario Golf on the N64, would love to get into something like this.

I wish this game let you play your own courses offline (other than in the editor mode, isn't really the same - no commentary and you also get a magic line showing where your ball will go) and also download other people's courses to play offline. Other than I love it. The feeling of creating your own course in minutes and going out and playing can't be beat. I also am happy there's no nonsense progression system where you're putting points into things. It's just you, the course and the ball and your own skills.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hoping that this is a typo:

Playstation 4 Release | August 26th, 2015

Haven't played a golf game since old school Mario Golf on the N64, would love to get into something like this.

Woops, yeah. Fat fingered that one.

And the golfing in this is INCREDIBLE. However, it's much more sim than something (as incredible) as Mario Golf for N64. That was probably one of my most played N64 games, though. Probably what got me into golf games.

Icefire1424

However, it's much more sim than something (as incredible) as Mario Golf for N64.

Perfect! And yes, Mario Golf was a blast, but I was actually looking for something like this I could play on the PS4. Seems like an excellent kick back and chill type of game. Thanks for putting out the OT, would have missed this otherwise.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wish this game let you play your own courses offline (other than in the editor mode, isn't really the same - no commentary and you also get a magic line showing where your ball will go) and also download other people's courses to play offline. Other than I love it. The feeling of creating your own course in minutes and going out and playing can't be beat. I also am happy there's no nonsense progression system where you're putting points into things. It's just you, the course and the ball and your own skills.

I'm guessing that's something they're working on. Or at least I hope.

The lack of progression is refreshing, however I think some sort of system would be nice. Even it's just purely cosmetic stuff you can unlock or just a "level" for shits...But the devs have said something is in the works. I'm curious as to what it is.

Also, I kind of hope they are able to continue making money off of this title in order to support strong future support. I'd definitely pay for new themes (like the Tropical one they mentioned).

Perfect! And yes, Mario Golf was a blast, but I was actually looking for something like this I could play on the PS4. Seems like an excellent kick back and chill type of game. Thanks for putting out the OT, would have missed this otherwise.

I'm picking up a case of beer so I can chill out, have a drink, and golf over the next few days. :p

NHale

I bought it on Monday and I'm loving it so far. Quite refreshing to play a game where my handicap is my lack of skill and not an underdeveloped character that levels up with XP.

However the game can be very hard to newcomers. They basically don't explain anything. Let's hope the community keeps playing it and making new courses to play. Maybe this could be the way to make games for niche sports that don't generate 10M sales every year.

Add me to the PSN List: NFFD. Thanks.

Hell yeah, great OP!

I'm on PSN as TheMissingLink. And my NeoGAF name is TheMissingLink so that works out pretty well.

Add me to your friends list to ensure you get a better score than someone on your friends list! :)

SZips

I played this off and on for a while when it first came out on PC. While I admittedly haven't played it these past couple of weeks due to other games and just generally being busy, the game is a ton of fun.

It's very well put together and the fact that there's a course editor built in with easy community sharing is fantastic. It's essentially a never ending stream of content with fresh courses every time you play.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Only 6 holes into Toma's course. I gotta take a break! It's very over-whelming. Every hole feels like a signature hole, if that makes sense. If I were to give you some constructive feedback, it would be to intermingle a hole with less "sniper level" accuracy requirements.

E: And the greens are a bit extreme to have to fight every single hole. Tough greens are slightly more forgivable, haha.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Only 6 holes into Toma's course. I gotta take a break! It's very over-whelming. Every hole feels like a signature hole, if that makes sense. If I were to give you some constructive feedback, it would be to intermingle a hole with less "sniper level" accuracy requirements.

E: And the greens are a bit extreme to have to fight every single hole. Tough greens are slightly more forgivable, haha.

Yeah, in hindsight I would have preferred easier greens but trickier first shots.

Shaneus

Posting to sub, and to say that unfortunately it's a whopping $55AU in the Australian PSN store. So I'll likely be Steaming this one.

But looks great though, can't wait to get into it!

yesrushdt

Courses look far too generic in my opinion with many of the trees all the same size. The game only has a few course "templates" to choose from. I'm definitely waiting for Perfect Golf and Winning Putt.

Perfect Golf has a course architect that is more like Tiger Woods PC, meaning that it is much, much more customizable than the one in Golf Club. You can import your own 3d objects and also import terrain/image data from maps of actual courses for proper elevations in your designs. Check out some videos of the game on their Vimeo page. Hopefully an early access version will be available in the not too distant future.

bluehat9

So I was messing with the course editor and have 9 holes done. Couple of questions:

1. If I publish it can I pull it down later so I can publish a full 18 hole course? I kind of want to see how people play it, but don't want to be stuck with only half a course or having to publish twice.

2. Is there any way to practice on the course with more windy conditions without publishing? I want to see how it plays with more than 1 mph wind.

So I was messing with the course editor and have 9 holes done. Couple of questions:

1. If I publish it can I pull it down later so I can publish a full 18 hole course? I kind of want to see how people play it, but don't want to be stuck with only half a course or having to publish twice.

2. Is there any way to practice on the course with more windy conditions without publishing? I want to see how it plays with more than 1 mph wind.

You can publish it again and again BUT you can't erase a previous publish (At least as of now). So you can publish the 9 holes now and edit/add the other 9 holes later and publish again. you would have the same two courses available but you can do it.

I don't believe there is a way to test your course with wind inside the course designer.

Just downloaded this tonight, I LOVE the fact that nearly every shot is mishit a little. It's almost impossible to hit 100% straight shots every time, at least early on before I'm decent at it.
Just gotta learn how to insert water hazards and individual trees and the course creator should be good enough for me to create my home course as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you choose to use he left or right stick to take a shot? My right thumb is a little 'clicky' and I think it'd be difficult to get a smooth shot

This sounds really cool, does it use the 3-click method of taking shots or is it the "pull back on the right stick and push forward"-type thing?

I'm on Xbox One, so will wait on it 'til the issues are sorted, sounds like it's a bit messy right now.

505zoom

Feels pretty smooth on PC for me on 1920x1080 with high settings (4770k / GTX770). The WiiU Pro controller with it is awesome too, buttery sticks and I can work the ball accurately.

Course creator is actually pretty slick after toying around with it for a bit, and there is definitely enough tools to build local tracks and make them feel and play like the real thing. Getting the greens to break properly is the toughest part IMO.

This sounds really cool, does it use the 3-click method of taking shots or is it the "pull back on the right stick and push forward"-type thing?

There is no option for 3-click, but you can select which stick you want to use for swinging.

NHale

Posting to sub, and to say that unfortunately it's a whopping $55AU in the Australian PSN store. So I'll likely be Steaming this one.

But looks great though, can't wait to get into it!

You can buy it in the Canadian PSN Store and get it for a lot cheaper ($35 AU). Just need a Canadian account and a Canadian PayPal account. Considering the retail prices in the UK and the digital prices in the US/Canada, I'm going fully digital. Destiny cost me 15€ less from the US Store and got it day 1 with preload.

depward

+1 to those stating this plays a great game of golf. Limitless amounts of courses to play means I'll be playing this for a long time to come.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gotta update OP with players.

Also, Toma - I was thinking about your course last night. I think I was prematurely critical of it. Since I'm still learning how to control the ball, I was more frustrated by the fact that I couldn't hit a straight shot to save my life. Your course IS balls hard, but I think I'll enjoy it more once I get my swing figured out. ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Another sidenote, I really appreciate 9 hole courses :p

Especially if the course is hard, making it 18 feels a bit overkill if I already have issues reaching 10 over par on 9 holes.

So if you are working on a hard course, please dont feel bad about posting a 9 hole variant, even if that means you post a 9 hole and 18 hole course with similar holes.

brerwolfe

Just played Nico's course. Kinda wacky, especially the par-3 7th hole with a giant mound and no way to see the pin from the tee box. I ended up 4-putting a hole I should've birdied because I somehow put in too much power on a two-foot putt and the ball went 20' away.

Finished at +9. Gonna try again to see if I can beat my score.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just played Nico's course. Kinda wacky, especially the par-3 7th hole with a giant mound and no way to see the pin from the tee box. I ended up 4-putting a hole I should've birdied because I somehow put in too much power on a two-foot putt and the ball went 20' away.

I think you mean Toma's course. ;P

Yeah, I'm going to play that course again once I finish my round I started over lunch. I think I'm starting to get a feel for putting distance and shooting straight.

Toma

Hey, its called "hilly" for a reason =p

Nah, I just wanted to make a par 3 hole that with a huge mountain in the middle to see how it plays.

I'm definitely getting this game when it goes on sale, because it looks like an absolute blast in comparison to my four year old copy of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.

The course creator doesn't look too thorough, but does seem like it could introduce a lot of replayability. That's pretty nice.

ElNino

I'm playing on the Xbox One. GT is ElNino77

Despite the performance issues and glitches that have come up, this has quickly become my most played game at the moment. It has the best feel for the game of golf since the Links series.

Hitting straight off the tee might be fairly easy, but managing your approach shots is very important on some courses and playing around the green is really satifiying. I love that there is no meters and everything (particularly for chipping and putting) is feel based. Just like me real golf game, I can often be around the green in regulation only to chuck/skull a chip and/or three putt because I wasn't paying attention.

Getting the 7-iron trophy was a lot of fun. Felt like Tin Cup.
Can you use a putter on the green?

Top Bottom