• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club |OT| Golf Sim Bliss

Klocker

Just like real golf, you should always be taking a "full" swing whenever possible. That's why you have a bag full of clubs and the ability to open your club face. Unless you are within 30 yards of the green (flop shot best shot!) you should never be trying to taking something off your swing.

true, you should never cut the swing short in follow through but many excellent golfers adjust the distance of their backswing for club distance control (mostly when pitching) as well as adjusting what you mentioned. so the game represents that fairly well, not as well as some I've played in the past but not bad... a little hard to control the back swing distance in this game.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
Curious about the sandbox element of this game. How easy is the designer to use? Say I wanted to re-create one of my local courses, would I be wanting to pull my hair out trying to do so (if I actually had hair)?

I'm an avid golfer and video gamer, but had previously held off on this game because of poor reviews. This is the first thread I've come upon that seems to show this IP in a positive light.

ElNino

Curious about the sandbox element of this game. How easy is the designer to use? Say I wanted to re-create one of my local courses, would I be wanting to pull my hair out trying to do so (if I actually had hair)?

I'm an avid golfer and video gamer, but had previously held off on this game because of poor reviews. This is the first thread I've come upon that seems to show this IP in a positive light.
I can't tell you too much about the course designer as I have only barely touched it so far.

As for the game, I'm also an avid golfer and gamer (although I don't get to golf as much as I'd like). My honest assessment is that the game is very bare bones (other than the designer), it doesn't look as good as most other "next gen" games and I've encoutered a number of glitches. That being said, I've been playing it more than any other game lately (I've barely touched Destiny and Diablo 3) because the actual golf part is so enjoyable to me, particularly the short game.

It may be relatively easy to hit the ball straight compared to "real" golf, but some courses really make you think your way around. There are certainly some courses (many of the "official" ones) where the leaders are shooting mid 50s, but there are also plenty of challenging ones and I'm sure we will see plenty more coming.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I tried to dick around with the course creator last night, but I seriously couldn't get a grasp on it at all. Here's a basic sketch of what I wanted to do. I couldn't figure out how to add water, how to shape fairways, or how to even delete my hole after I screwed it up.

Anyone have some good tips on this stuff?

Cyqc46O.jpg

So I tried to dick around with the course creator last night, but I seriously couldn't get a grasp on it at all. Here's a basic sketch of what I wanted to do. I couldn't figure out how to add water, how to shape fairways, or how to even delete my hole after I screwed it up.

Anyone have some good tips on this stuff?

Cyqc46O.jpg

Lower the terrain past the water table to "create" water. Its pretty lame, hopefully they'll add a simpler water brush soon. That's the one trick I had to look up when trying to recreate my home course.
The fairway you can make with a brush shaped like that, then you can resize it to just be one big stamp.
I gave up after one hole though, the course designer was WAY to slow and unresponsive for me to get anything done quickly. Although I haven't tried it after the patch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lower the terrain past the water table to "create" water. Its pretty lame, hopefully they'll add a simpler water brush soon. That's the one trick I had to look up when trying to recreate my home course.
The fairway you can make with a brush shaped like that, then you can resize it to just be one big stamp.
I gave up after one hole though, the course designer was WAY to slow and unresponsive for me to get anything done quickly. Although I haven't tried it after the patch.

Alright, thanks. I guess I should check out YouTube on some tutorials.

And yeah, the designer is slow as SHIT. Like, painfully slow...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, thanks. I guess I should check out YouTube on some tutorials.

And yeah, the designer is slow as SHIT. Like, painfully slow...

Did you start using a preshaped/generated terrain? Thats what I preferred doing and it doesnt take that long to adjust certain aspects of each hole then.

T-0800

Really needs a patch to the improve the framerate and pop up. PS4 here. Too glitchy given the hardware it is running on.

Klocker

still no update??

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=6756.0

Hi all - I know that everyone on the Xbox One has been anxiously awaiting a patch for a couple of weeks now, so I wanted to update you on the latest information/development.

Late yesterday afternoon we received notification that Microsoft had failed the patch in the certification process for two items. This news came after we had believed that we had already been approved. It turns out that we had only been approved through step one of what, we now know, is a two-step process (something of which we were unaware and which was not made clear to us). We believed that we were simply waiting for the patch to be posted when, in fact, it was still in the certification process. This is a new process for us, and has also changed a bit for MS as well, and somewhere that information got lost in translation. This was a mis-communication between us and them and is a lesson learned.

That being said, we have been trying very hard to work with Microsoft to speed this patch through, as the items that we are being help up for do not effect the game in any noticeable way (one of them is actually about future-proofing the game). Unfortunately, they have not been able to accommodate us. Therefore, we have fixed the two issue and have resubmitted the patch.

We have been told that they will do what they can to get the patch out by Monday or Tuesday. But please know...that is not a promise.

In the spirit of keeping you as informed as possible, you should also be made aware that, if they are not going to be able to get the patch out before Weds. of next week, there is a possibility that we may have to pull the patch and include it in the content update that is scheduled for the following week, as they may not let us submit the content update until the patch has gone live. We are very hopeful this will not be the case, but it is a possibility and we wanted to give you all of the information we have. As soon as we know anything else we will, of course, tell you right away.

We are sorry that this first patch for the Xbox has been a bit complicated. Obviously, we did not want it to go this way. We are very grateful for your patience and understanding and we are hopeful you will find the wait worthwhile and will enjoy the improvements and enhancements that the patch and the upcoming content update bring.

😣

I'm sure owners of this game have been following developments, but there's a rather large update being sent to certification for both consoles tomorrow, hopefully downloadable by late next week. It contains nearly everything that's in the PC update that came out yesterday. PC update thread.
New cameras, new commentary, improved performance, it sounds really really good!

Finally going to get the static behind the golfer camera that doesn't change after you hit it. Just like real golf. Awesome.

Klocker

First Xbox patch out tonight

Smooths out some jaggies and improved frame rate.
Still not perfect hopefully next big one planned improves further

Ill bite at this game when it improves some x1 stuff and adds some kind of progression, not even in the form of XP but just let me compare with my friends

Klocker

New title update was live for me on Xbox when I booted up tonight.

Smoother, cleaner and more options, cameras and dof , including the ability to keep camera on player until you hit A button to go to ball.

Update notes...

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/10/20/feature-update-available-overnight/

We are very pleased to announce that the first feature update for The Golf Club has been approved by Microsoft and Sony and thus will be available across all three platforms, PS4, Xbox One and PC, at some point during the northern hemisphere night. A list of feature additions, tweaks and enhancements is below.

Update contents:

*New Greg Norman Course Designer Theme – Boreal
*Backgrounds can now be changed in Greg Norman Course Designer
*Three backgrounds of varying height now available for all themes
*New Easy to Medium skill level Official Course – Black Brook Golf Course
*New Medium skill level official course for Boreal Theme – Flathead County Golf Club
*Ability to Scroll between Clubs the other way, Putter to Driver
*A set of New Cameras
*Added ability to cycle cameras in real-time during shot set-up (Off-swing stick click on controller, ‘V’ on keyboard)
*Added option to remove reticule
*Ability to toggle off follow-cam. Can initiate in real-time by pressing ‘A’ (Xbox controller) or ‘X’ (PS Controller)
*Remove User Ratings from Official courses
*Three new official tournaments
*Separate the HB Official and Suggested courses to improve content discovery (to be implemented in server update soon)
*Remove Official Courses from the Public Course Lists to improve content discovery (to be implemented in server update soon)
*In-Game Pause Menu, Scorecard, Leaderboards should all show under/over along with total score – e.g. 48 (-5)
*Commentary additions and improvements
*Ability to play rivals in all rounds of Tours/Tournaments
*Only show “Bested” Messages if it is a score that beats the players record, as well as the users
*Add Pin-Height, relative to cursor, in real time in GNCD
*Tree lighting and culling fixes
*Added a ‘Personal Rounds’ filter to rivals screen, taking first ghost ball from the top of that list
*Added ‘Suggested Opponents’ to rivals filter
*10-20% overall performance improvement
*Wind tuning and gust support
*Improvements to speed in which you appear in the leaderboards
*Career screen improvements
*Mouse Swing Improvements – Remove Dead Zone
*New keyboard shortcuts for club selection (Number keys, including ~ and +, to quick select clubs)

Kind of surprised to see so many gamers that actually play a lot of golf in real life. I've been a teaching pro for 13 years and a caddie on Tour for one. I do enjoy the gameplay a lot and the feel you need for the short game shots like chipping or even 3/4 wedges and whatnot is really done well. Putting is pretty good too, perhaps a bit too easy.

Nerix

The game is offered for 14 EUR in the German PSN Store for PS+ members (would guess in all SCEE regions and perhaps worldwide as well). That´s really a good offer and probably I will bite.

But a question to those who already own the game: how is the performance after the first patch (PS4)? Hopefully better, because the reviews don´t sound that good in that regard...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The game is offered for 14 EUR in the German PSN Store for PS+ members (would guess in all SCEE regions and perhaps worldwide as well). That´s really a good offer and probably I will bite.

But a question to those who already own the game: how is the performance after the first patch (PS4)? Hopefully better, because the reviews don´t sound that good in that regard...

Much, much better.

lordxar

This is a really fun golf title. If I had to compare, it reminds me of the Hal's Hole In One Golf days and I played the hell out of that back in the day. Tiger Woods' games are just too much. I prefer less glitz and more game. The course creator adds a lot to the game to. Not enough games give us content creators.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grabbed this in the EU PSN sale. Liking the feel of it more than I expected to. I wish there was a tutorial or driving range - something that can let me experiment with the controls to get a feel for distance etc without the course getting in the way.

Also think it's really good looking. Very natural.

Add me on PSN - KlawUK. Although I'm sure I have a bunch of those in the OP but you aren't showing on leaderboards

Nerix

Should get back to this game now that it's been patched a bit with the performance.
Definitely. The performance may not be perfect, but absolutely not distracting anymore.

@OP: pls add me to the MP list, PSN: Nerix

If anyone would like to add me, feel free. Pls with a reference to gaf and the game.

505zoom

So does anybody else think it's cool that this game now officially works with simulators? Protee guys are already fully online with it now. GC2 support should obviously follow.

Personally, as somebody that is building a 20x30x10 theatre/simulator that will in the end tally 20k+ just for the room, I am very interested in things like this and wonder how the sim side will work with the game side.

Might unbalance things which is one of my favorite things with this game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just booted the game back up for the first time in a while. Course Creator feels a lot smoother now. Not perfect, but much improved from the last time I tried it.

Have the devs announced their plans for the next update?

Nerix

I experienced a glitch with the trophy "Close But No Cigar". I made this shot but the trophy didn't pop: http://youtu.be/EIoSs0ulpDs

Anyone else with the problem?

edit: I was offline ingame during the session (though connected to the PSN) and eventually changed the time/date to get other wind conditions. Don't know if that could have any influence... But the time/date setting at the time I made the shot was correct and not changed in any way.

Marco1

I can't stand this game on my PS4 anymore so I've deleted it.
The screen still tears with vsync turned on, the frame rate is awful with DOF turned off and the game sends the fan in my PS4 into overdrive.

eznark

Banned
So are leaderboards just completely fucked now or is that just for me? Don't think they've been up for me for at least a week.

Allforce

Going on sale today for 20,99 for Plus members on PS4. 24.99 otherwise.

Think it's finally time to jump in for me.

Top Bottom