• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The influx of moderates telling us to tolerate sexism, xenophobia, and racism all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

This is what makes Canada and probably a lot of other countries confused. Canada is far from perfect, but as soon as a politician starts spouting hatred, his political career is OVER or at the very least it means he's taking the loss. How Trump continued to do this and even base his platform on hatred is mind boggling. He wins the nomination and I'm thinking WTF? Now he's the President and WTF doesn't even begin to describe my confusion. How did it ever get this far?.

You can argue that other issues are more important to you but just the fact that hate is part of the equation should have been the deal killer. It not only says a lot about the people who support him but says a lot about most americans for letting it happen. I'm extremely disappointed in the american people. Those who voted for hate and those who didn't vote to stop hate.

Now we're getting this double down with moderates expecting tolerance for their behavior. How about no. You're not the victims here, and I'm legitimately concerned for the minorities who are or will be the victims of a hateful regime. It should never have happened.

Oh fuck off with your boogeyman bullshit. I see motherfuckers almost every damn day in the OT who shit on white people all day and all night long and nothing comes of it but God forbid people don't kowtow to the Liberal echo chamber on these forums, they get banned by Bishoptl with a quickness. Let's be honest here, the mods and one in particular are quite okay with racism towards white people on these forums unless people complain heavily about it. The OT has literally turned into a one sided discussion about how white people are the blame for all of societies problems and i blame Evilore for letting it happen.

Why don't you blame the SJW's for ruining gaming too?

Well said. The poligaf emperor has no clothes as far as I'm concerned. Democrats need to do some serious soul searching and not double-down on the same regressive thinking that got us into this mess.

I'm sorry, did Obama call Romney voters 'deplorables'? Did Gore call detriment to Bush Jr. voters? Did Bill Clinton denounce Dole voters? There is no pattern. Stop trying to make one.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's a sarcastic post.

It might be time for a lot of us to take a break from Gaf and let the Trump supporters and moderates shake hands for a while.
Hardcore Poe's law. Because there are many ITT that are saying that shit unironically.

superbeau

Neo Member
I don't believe that every Trump supporter is a racist, but I do believe they are gullible, selfish, and/or generally unconcerned with bigotry as long as it's not directed at them.

If the path to avoiding another Trump in the future is turning a blind eye to this to avoid alienating possible voters than I guess that's what Dems will have to do.

Then both sides really will be the same!

The one Trump voter I really care about voted because of abortion. The republican party fights abortion, so she votes Republican. She's not racist. She knows he's misongynist. She understands racists love him, but abortion is worse than racism and sexism for her.

kswiston

This is what makes Canada and probably a lot of other countries confused. Canada is far from perfect, but as soon as a politician starts spouting hatred, his political career is OVER or at the very least it means he's taking the loss. How Trump continued to do this and even base his platform on hatred is mind boggling. He wins the nomination and I'm thinking WTF? Now he's the President and WTF doesn't even begin to describe my confusion. How did it ever get this far?.

You can argue that other issues are more important to you but just the fact that hate is part of the equation should have been the deal killer. It not only says a lot about the people who support him but says a lot about most americans for letting it happen. I'm extremely disappointed in the american people. Those who voted for hate and those who didn't vote to stop hate.

Now we're getting this double down with moderates expecting tolerance for their behavior. How about no. You're not the victims here, and I'm legitimately concerned for the minorities who are or will be the victims of a hateful regime. It should never have happened.

Canada doesn't have Freedom of Speech to the same level that the US does, so the bar to unacceptably hateful is lower in our political entities. The craziest racist US politicians would have been brought up on federal charges in Canada.

antonz

They spent a lot of time trying to do just that at the DNC. I guess maybe they should have done more trying to build up their strongholds instead of trying to win as many states as possible. But I can't blame them. They had the same internal polling that Obama had in 2008 and 2012. The polls happened to be wrong and who knows if we will ever recover because of it.

That is the problem. The rustbelt voter etc. has been getting shit on for decades now at this point by the US Government but The Democrats were the Working Person party. The Blue Firewall etc. So reliable that there was no reason to try and earn their vote.

I mean Hillary openly talked about killing the last remaining industry in their areas. Coal needs to go absolutely but you need to have something for those regions other than hey guess what I'm killing the rest of your local economy. These people voted for Obama twice so they clearly aren't white supremacists etc. They are people desperate for a better life and a Snake oil salesman is the only one who actually spoke to them

Ishan

They spent a lot of time trying to do just that at the DNC. I guess maybe they should have done more trying to build up their strongholds instead of trying to win as many states as possible. But I can't blame them. They had the same internal polling that Obama had in 2008 and 2012. The polls happened to be wrong and who knows if we will ever recover because of it.

also Obama is simply that much more charismatic and engizes the base more . You had someone who doesn't the same way vs someone who fired up dormant parts of GOP hence current result . Look before Obama it was bush before than Clinton a centrist before that bush Reagan . Republicans also control majority of house senate often many states etc .. Yes demographics are changing and so are attitudes but I'm surprised they didn't notice the difference in the impact Obama has on the base coalition vs Clinton . I mean now ppl are mentioning they got worried but late in the game so maybe they did notice it but too late to swing it back

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Minorities just need to take the L and recognize that it's more important to not hurt the majorities feelings than to drop truth facts about their reality. That is really all this is about. When the threat is a candidate openly stoking racism sexism and xenophobia the defensiveness is totally expected. It is damn near unrealistic to expect the targets of this bile to not campaign hard against it. But it has beem deemed that your emotions are lesser than there's because you need their vote. So be it

If the is really where democrats (and republicans lololol) wanna place the blame so be it. Not like it matters now.

Take the L? For fighting for their rights? Jesus.

I think the blame game might be even worse than the campaigns themselves (okay, maybe not, but this is pretty bad).

Suggest everyone to watch this video about blame. Learn to accept blame more easily, and maybe you'll have a bit more control on the events that shape your life and others. EDIT: Oh it was sarcasm. Oh god, this election. Damn.

Nudull

Banned
This thread has already gone downhill. Our country is screwed, and it's the fault of everyone but straight white dudes. Fucking hell.

I'm sorry, did Obama call Romney voters 'deplorables'? Did Gore call detriment to Bush Jr. voters? Did Bill Clinton denounce Dole voters? There is no pattern. Stop trying to make one.

I have no idea what you are trying to tell me here.

To clarify, the regressive thinking I'm talking about? Shouting down dissent. It's how we got stuck with the candidate we ran last night.

pigeon

Banned
Minorities just need to take the L and recognize that it's more important to not hurt the majorities feelings than to drop truth facts about their reality. That is really all this is about. When the threat is a candidate openly stoking racism sexism and xenophobia the defensiveness is totally expected. It is damn near unrealistic to expect the targets of this bile to not campaign hard against it. But it has beem deemed that your emotions are lesser than there's because you need their vote. So be it

If the is really where democrats (and republicans lololol) wanna place the blame so be it. Not like it matters now.

This is pretty much it.

White liberals are like "oh, wait, we can't get our policies if we support people of color? Okay bye folks*!"

The argument may or may not be true. But surely it's clear why I can't support or agree with it.

* I originally wrote "Bye Felicia" but unfortunately they are too white to use this phrase.

darkace

Banned
Hardcore Poe's law. Because there are many ITT that are saying that shit unironically.

Maybe you should listen to them rather than doubling down on a movement that failed against Donald Trump. Just a thought. Maybe you shouldn't insulate yourself in an echo-chamber that violently opposes all differing viewpoints. Maybe you shouldn't paint a hundred million people with a brush so broad you could paint a planet with it. You'd hope that the Democratic party faithful would go through the soul-searching that the Republican party ostensibly did after 2012. You'd hope, but they've proven time and time again that they're less interested with actually making change than sticking their fingers in their ears and feeling really, really good about themselves and how morally and intellectually superior they are.

The one Trump voter I really care about voted because of abortion. The republican party fights abortion, so she votes Republican. She's not racist. She knows he's misongynist. She understands racists love him, but abortion is worse than racism and sexism for her.

Well yeah, as I said generally unconcerned with bigotry unless directed at them.

That's fine, I'm not going to tell you to cut her off or whatever, as long as you aren't telling me or any other minority that we're overreacting.

Beefy

I know this has been said many times before., but this reminds me so much like Brexit. Both our countries are now hugely devided.

Crossing Eden

Maybe you should listen to them rather than doubling down on a movement that failed against Donald Trump. Just a thought. Maybe you shouldn't insulate yourself in an echo-chamber that violently opposes all differing viewpoints.
I'm never gonna tolerate racism, sexism, and xenophobia, or the tolerance and apathy towards it, as just a different viewpoint. And i'm not gonna apologize for that. And I sure as hell am not gonna peacefully allow Trump supporters and moderates pat themselves on the back at my expense.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I know this has been said many times before. But this reminds me so much like Brexit. both our countries are now hugely devided.

Hey don't leave Colombians out of your group. We're very polarized ourselves, and most are still hoping for a new deal.

I just read through the first 3 pages or so and I am just stunned. If this presidential race has done one thing, it has revealed the passive racism, bigotry and apathy within people and how complicit they are of those things regardless of how much they claim they do not fully and openly support those notions. It is amazing.

stephen08

I watched that the night it aired and I think that there's something not being understood here. That little girl is just repeating what she's been imbued with in her environment. It's sad and yeah, it shouldn't happen. I very much doubt that the die is cast for her and she will just grow up to be a racist.

It's an interesting clip to point to though because what that girl needs is someone to explain racism and why it is a problem to her. She's not hateful, she's ignorant.

It used to be that people owned slaves. They were bought and sold as property. A war was fought over that concept that divided America. You won't convince me that 10% of people would fight for slavery's existence now. That's progress.

There used to be a time that interracial couples weren't just discouraged but illegal. Now there may be some backlash to it but it isn't as uncommon anymore. That's progress.

There exists racism and it will, unfortunately, exist for a long time still but I believe the trend in the US is that of a positive one. It doesn't negate the bad that happens today and by all means fight that as hard as you can but little by little progress will in.

Is it possible for democrats to combine into one platform the fight for minority rights and other core democratic messages with the concerns of the doesn't-identify-as-racist-but-still-voted-for-a-racist-because-of-other-issues folk? Or are they too incompatible?

I'll quote myself from the other thread.

Democrats will always struggle to get rural America onboard because many of Rural America's values are at complete odd with current democrat party's platform. Rural Americans are ostensibly against many social progressive measures, due to decades upon decades upon decades of South Strategy that most of rural America identifies with, they are just as likely to be against social welfare programs despite the fact that they rely on them heavily.

So the question becomes how do you be inclusive and cater to that group while not alienating minority groups? Do you lie and say "we're going to bring your factory jobs back" when it's quite literally impossible short of getting rid of minimum wage (and suffering all the blow back from that, not to mention how that would push away the progressives and minorities). Do you denounce LGBT+ and other socially progressive measures?

Yes Trump said he would bring them their jobs back, but in 4 years when that doesn't happen and their local economy is even worse than it was 4 years prior and the social welfare that they're basically indoctrinated to be against is reduced and they suffer even more then what? Chances are high those people are going to move even further right; we've seen this happening in Kansas, despite the fact Kansas is struggling more than ever before and it's controlled entirely by republicans, Kansasians are moving even further right. And sadly properly explaining to them and educating them on why their jobs aren't coming back and all of that isn't nearly as great sounding as a 4 second soundbite saying "going to bring the jobs back" or "the Mexicans are taking your jobs". Emotional responses with a targeted group(s) where blame can be placed resonate better than a logical explanation and admittance that it's a complicated issue with no simple fix.

Bottom line is factory jobs aren't coming back because factories in China pay their employees 2.00/hr and here in America minium wage is $7.25 American factories can't compete; and if we do produce everything in America the end product will be more expensive because that's capitalism (which end result means higher prices on products; that hurts rural America). Unfortunately for many people in rural America this answer isn't good enough. So you get conservatives saying things like "I'll remove the red tape" that's not going to bring factory jobs back; and much of that red tape includes safety and penalties for putting workers at risk. You want an example of what happens when that is gone? See the Dakotas and the oil boon and all of the injuries and deaths where no company has to pay out because they skirt around "red tape".

Democrats moving right to appeal to rural America isn't the answer and would basically tell minorities in America at large that they're second class citizens without the pretenses.

Unfortunately the Southern Strategy (that so many are trying to downplay which is mindboggling) is too ingrained within not only rural America but the very fabric of America despite only being introduced in the 60s. It's going to be damn near impossible to divorce appeal to rural America and deject the southern strategy. These are people who generation after generation have been told that the others are the reason for their current state of being and they've taught their kids that, and they've shaped their local and state government around that idea. It's at the point where I don't feel you can truly appeal to them without said strategy.

People in this thread and others are trying their best to divorce the two but you can't. Example, for decades they've been told overtly and covertly that the main reason their jobs are gone is because illegal mexicans are taking them. This has been fed to them so much that many of them ask time and time again "what are you going to do about the Mexican problem". Enter the idea of deportation and building a wall; this is how the Southern Strategy works. Frame the issue as "Us vs Them" and you can convince people to vote for you if you promise to fix the issue by removing the "them" instead of actually fixing the "us".

And that's the thing, emotional responses will always beat out factual/logical responses. Hillary/Bernie/Obama have all spoken on the reality that those factory jobs aren't coming back and we need to look into getting new businesses into the area or something else. This isn't what people want to hear despite it being the truth. Trump promises he can bring their jobs back in part by getting rid of the Mexicans, and by penalizing the Chinese. This resonates with them. He promises he can/will cut social welfare spending despite the fact they use it because for decades, they've been told that the "others" are a drain on the system because they're on social welfare but rural America isn't like the "others" because why they might be on social welfare too; if they work hard they'll be millionaires and well off and that they don't need it for that long (and again statistics show that rural America stay on social welfare just as long as the "others").

So how do you appeal to them outside of flat out lying to them and telling them their jobs will come back? How exactly do you tell them that their economic woes actually aren't the "others" fault at all? How do you tell them that many of their issues can actually be directly blamed on conservative measures when they themselves believe in these measures so passionately?

How do you convince them that they and the "others" that they've been pitted against for 50+ years are actually exactly alike? A few speeches and explanations does not break down the demonization of the "others".

Suggesting "compromise" suggests that the democratic party hasn't been doing that for the last 50+ years since the parties switched. On the world stage the democratic party is pretty right winged and that's exactly because they compromise. Anyone suggesting that the democratic party hasn't compromised to appeal to these people are inherently suggesting that this same party has only been about appealing to minorities at the expense of rural America, and that is just completely not true. The democratic party has basically always been seen by any and everyone as the party of compromise and "reaching across the isle" so I take offense with people who state that the democratic party doesn't do that, and that minorities within that party need to compromise with rural America, when minorities entire life in this country has always been one about compromising.

Canada is a country of moderates though. You come out with extreme attitude one way or the other and you're going to have a bad time.

Is it possible for democrats to combine into one platform the fight for minority rights and other core democratic messages with the concerns of the doesn't-identify-as-racist-but-still-voted-for-a-racist-because-of-other-issues folk? Or are they too incompatible?

It can be done but the Dems didn't do it.

ItIsOkBro

Actually I'm pretty sure rural Canada feels quite alienated by our government. We just have enough liberals to outweigh their votes.

Odrion

Banned
i am pretty sick of seeing white liberals on twitter trying to act like atticus finch at the fucking end of "to kill a mockingbird"

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I know this has been said many times before. But this reminds me so much like Brexit. both our countries are now hugely devided.

This isn't new. Our country has been divided since 1861. Technically before that but we might as well use the start of the Civil War to make things easy.

Crossing Eden

I just read through the first 3 pages or so and I am just stunned. If this presidential race has done one thing, it has revealed the passive racism, bigotry and apathy within people and how complicit they are of those things regardless of how much they claim they do not fully and openly support those notions. It is amazing.
You see the TRUE issue is fighting passive racism and bigotry, you shouldn't do that, you might hurt their widdle feelings, also MLK would've agreed. I don't understand anything about the man but trust me I know.

Are you a minority? I'm curious.

Yes sir/mame. Black.

I'm willing to just take an L if all these people coming out really wanna blame the anger at America drinking that racism koolaid over people's actual humanity. I can take comfort in knowing it really is all about appealing to the white voter if that is what they want.

But just come out and say it instead of this fair and balanced shit. "Oh they arent all racist, they just said we'll ignore all the racism cause he said X, Y, Z" like that is some better stance. Joke.

Shaka

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/americas-racism-problem-far-complicated-think/
I have great respect for anyone willing to sit down with dumbass moderates, democrat or Replubican, and have a conversation. I really do.
I'm in Australia and as an African I'm done talking to willfully ignorant cunts about how it's wrong to either harbour bigoted thoughts or ignore racist politics.
I suffer from depression and anxiety, I'm just gonna smoke weed until my world ends. White supremacy has been negatively affecting for most my life, I'm personally done. I will support other minorities whenever I can though. Good luck everyone.

darkace

Banned
I'm never gonna tolerate racism, sexism, and xenophobia, or the tolerance and apathy towards it, as just a different viewpoint. And i'm not gonna apologize for that. And I sure as hell am not gonna peacefully allow Trump supporters and moderates pat themselves on the back at my expense.

Ok then enjoy your peaceful little protest being forever off the levers of power. Enjoy having the people who actually do want to hurt minorities having free rein to do what they want, because you're more interested in running a social movement centred around moral superiority than actually fighting for rights.

Enjoy all the purity with none of the power.

Ok then enjoy your peaceful little protest being forever off the levers of power. Enjoy having the people who actually do want to hurt minorities having free rein to do what they want, because you're more interested in running a social movement centred around moral superiority than actually fighting for rights.

Enjoy all the purity with none of the power.

Posing the same question I've asked everyone with few responses: are you educating people?

Why don't white people educate other white people about race?

Why should minorities do it?

They don't need to. They gain nothing, and honestly I can't even be mad.

It's when they try to shit on us for not doing it when they won't that makes me angry.

msH0bNu.png

One of my co workers posted this today

"we got on board"

Oboy I needed the laugh.

This thread has already gone downhill. Our country is screwed, and it's the fault of everyone but straight white dudes. Fucking hell.

No, not all of them. Millions of them voted against this Orange turd. Just a larger number wanted a white nationalist for president.

I have no idea what you are trying to tell me here.

To clarify, the regressive thinking I'm talking about? Shouting down dissent. It's how we got stuck with the candidate we ran last night.

I've never witnessed an aspersion on right wing ideology in person, but I've seen many racially and sexually motivated attacks in my lifetime. If you want to argue candidates, call obstruction all you want, but Bernie never had the numbers, hence 'Bernie math'. The fact that Clinton ran a largely centrist platform, one specifically to appeal moderates, and still lost, tells everything.

Yes they have, multiple times even, ITT, because somehow if we're just nice to them they'll magically vote for our candidate and will totes be swayed. Disregarding the rest of your post as it follows that same poor poor logic that has been debunked multiple times ITT by other posters who thought about the logic behind a moderate suddenly switching from Trump to Hillary because we said nice things about them and tolerated their bigotry.

That's not what I said.
Nobody is saying that any of these people vote for Clinton if you talk to them "nicely". I'm saying that the Democrats dismissed them, insulted them and blamed them for everything and ignored that some of them are not bad people. Some of them are afraid, some of them want Trump because they buy into certain aspects. Others are only learning from vetted information.
The Democrats have failed these people. They way your party wins new voters is to show them through example. You propose being an extremist and insulting them and reducing them to nothing is somehow productive.
I blame your line of thinking for causing such level of dismay. Regressive left talking points have gotten so toxic since 2012, and alt-right as a counter-movement arises to fight that this frontier and then it all turns to shit.
You don't even have to talk to them nicely or interact with them. But when you act like they are all evil racists and bigots you're playing Hillary into further polarization by being a warrior and help breed hatred for the connotation of democrats for these people. Their connotation with democrats and progressives is being shouted at, insulted and judged and so they respond with hatred.
Read the Smug Liberalism article. And Michael Moores anecdotes and predictions. This is real. People vote emotionally and their anger at liberals is increased by our lack of winning them over through example. When we could have come up with examples, illustrations and informations that tried and sneak facts in through the backdoor, we decided to call them neo-nazis.

I get the sense that you want a carte blanch to act out. I say it's bullshit. NeoGAF was one of the most infamous strongholds for Hillary online- GAF topped Hillary meme searches on Google. Let's be real. We've not done a good job to invoking discussion or being critical of Hillary. We've not been good at taking a hard enough look at our own media outlets or trying to entertain how it feels like being a poor pissed off white. We've mocked, insulted and treated them like shit, because Trumps base have treated so many minorities like shit. By doing so we played ourselves because Trump runs on bed of nails principles and walk past it to something else. Meanwhile Democrats get stuck seeming like the party for minorities, women and LGBT and not men, and Trump masterfully used this through divide and conquer.

What is more, we've downplayed anyone who have alternative ideas and talked about them with toxicity and contemt and shaming. Regardless if it was third party voters, or bernie voters, or protest voters, or trump voters.
So you're wrong when you say that I or anyone else is proclaiming that talking nice to a Trump supporter makes them switch over. But you don't have to make the problem worse.

faisal233

ZERO campaign stops at Wisconsin:

WI 2016 - WI 2012 = Difference
GOP: 1409467 - 1,407,966 = +1501
DEM: 1382210 - 1,620,985 = -238775

Tell me again about the strawman of reaching out to bigots? Lets assume 100% of Trump voters are bigots. We didn't need them. 6 MILLION of our voters didn't show up.

They didn't stay home because of DEM racial equality platform. They stayed home because we neglected their concerns about the economy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And this is what so many hard DEMs don't get. Just like there is no "standard" democrat, there is no standard republican. Not every Dem believes in climate change, not every republican is pro life. We exist in a bipartisan nation and unless you are that minority that perfectly lines up on all issues (or just concedes to them over time), you can't label ALL democrats this and ALL republicans that. AND you can't say "well but we can assume." I'm strong liberal when it comes to taking care of our population with government programs, and nearly socialist when it comes to distribution of wealth. But I also don't give a shit about gun laws aside from sane background checks, feel that voter id is absolutely targeted at minorities but.... you know.... we know we have elections every two years so take one of those 730ish days to go get an id. Etc.

We have two parties. If one person says "we're going to violate your core faith/belief" and another one says "isn't this group of people that you aren't part of the fucking worst?" Who do you choose without being screamed at?

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't believe that every Trump supporter is a racist, but I do believe they are gullible, selfish, and/or generally unconcerned with bigotry as long as it's not directed at them.

If the path to avoiding another Trump in the future is turning a blind eye to this to avoid alienating possible voters than I guess that's what Dems will have to do.

Then both sides really will be the same!

The Trump supporter thing, yeah. Some don't seem to show any care about what's happening right now or how other people are feeling. One person I know just believes we just can't fathom what's happening in a good way, when reality I can't fathom what's going to happen in a bad way.

Many of his supporters who are not super racists seem to be willfully ignoring so much just for their selfish gains like low tax, not caring about their own friends or family and their outcome and how they'll be treated. They simply don't care and nor do they seem to care about discussion. Their minds are set and they don't want to hear anything else.

RainForce

Banned
I think if we're going to accept that 50% of our country is racist/sexist/xenophobic/etc, then we'll similarly have to accept that multicultural melting pots are a failure as a concept.

I think a better solution is to NOT label all those people that voted for Trump as those things and try to understand the ones that aren't. The ones that fell into the allure of a revitalized economy, or those that work in industries that Hillary would have undoubtedly gutted (like Ken Bone for example).

David Wong's article on Cracked really spoke to me about all this and definitely let me empathize a bit more. Doesn't mean I'm not devastated, and I imagine all those that did vote for him will be as well when his empty promises don't come true, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to understand how things got to this point.

On top of that, discourse has certainly become incredibly volatile when it comes to labeling people. Labeling people just a bit right of you as alt-right is absolute nonsense and I saw it time and again with people that are way left of moderates. No, being a bit iffy about immigration policies doesn't make someone alt-right, nor does being critical of certain sects and/or widespread beliefs of certain religions.

That doesn't mean tolerate open sexism/xenophobia/racism/etc. I'm not really seeing many people do that as it is, at least not on gaf (reddit is a different story). It means don't be so quick to throw around those labels before a person even utters a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom