• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

So gaf... I just got my first iphone(4) and I've never had a smartphone before, so I really have no idea what to get. I know of the usuals like Angry Birds, etc... but what should I get?

Best tower defense or rpg?

Anything really.

Beat Sneak Bandit, Canabalt, Super Hexagon, Carcassonne and Hundreds, which is releasing next Thurs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So gaf... I just got my first iphone(4) and I've never had a smartphone before, so I really have no idea what to get. I know of the usuals like Angry Birds, etc... but what should I get?

Best tower defense or rpg?

Anything really.

Best TD is probably Kingdom Rush. Check the OP, there are a pair of best of threads and new stuff in there.

xCobalt

For those who are playing Puzzle and Dragons, the weekend is probably the best way to increase your rank. Doing Dragons of the Tower in Tower of Giants nets the most experience. You get about 1500 exp per run at the expense of 3 stamina. I'm at rank 82 and I still use it to to get exp.

ParityBit

For those who are playing Puzzle and Dragons, the weekend is probably the best way to increase your rank. Doing Dragons of the Tower in Tower of Giants nets the most experience. You get about 1500 exp per run at the expense of 3 stamina. I'm at rank 82 and I still use it to to get exp.

What creature is your leader? I'm curious.

Raelson

Was really unsure about buying TWEWY but I'm glad I did. Such a good game and perfectly optimised for iOS. Just wish it was optimised for iphone 5!

xCobalt

What creature is your leader? I'm curious.

It changes depending on what dungeon I'm doing. If its a hard dungeon with one element I usually just pick a monster that makes the enemies do half damage. If theres a lot of different elements, a healer. If I'm farming a particular dungeon for a boss drop, I'll go with 2x damage.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It seems there was a mix up with my bank account and I had a few more funds available after all. This is the current iCade intended haul after removing some freebies like Super Lemonade Factory and dodgy games like Katana Jack.

2D:
Dynamite Jack
ElectroMaster
Forget-Me-Not (maybe my sister will like this)
Gridrunner
HungryMaster
League of Evil
League of Evil 2
Metal Slug 3
Random Heroes
Silverfish Max (maybe my sister will like this since it kind of feels like Snake despite being so different)
Super Crate Box
Velocispider

3D:
AirAttack HD
Frogger Decades (for my sister)
Gunman Clive
Muffin Knight
Paper Monsters (for my sister)
Swordigo
Temple Run (maybe my sister will like this)

Collections:
Midway Arcade (all games, kind of regret it but at least in game presentation is nice)
Namco Arcade (Pac-Man for my sister, Rolling Thunder and Galaga, but what crap presentation and options)
Raiden Legacy

I could probably still remove some lesser stuff like Random Heroes. Super Mole Escape, Blazing Star alongside a few others and whatever else new comes up by then, will have to wait for the next haul. I also got Need for Speed Most Wanted for me since it was cheap and Rayman Jungle Run for my sister since she may not like enough of the iCade stuff. Most Wanted seems nice for the price, I've gone up to the first 1 on 1 race while checking it out, while I didn't like Shift 2 which I got for free a while ago. But it's lacking in options a little, no interior camera and gas is always on auto and Nitro always a swipe.

But it seems the iCade was shipped as late as the 28th and the current ETA is January 7th so I guess their gifts will wait a bit.

Concept17

Cut the Rope, Real Racing 2, Ravenmark, World of Goo, Jetpack Joyride, Squids, Arc Squadron, Into the Dead, Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayers, Temple Run, King of Dragon Pass, Avernum: Escape from the Pit, Kingdom Rush, Tiny Wings, Azkend, New Star Soccer, Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy, Flick Pig, Death Rally, Zookeeper Battle, Swordigo, etc. A couple of these may be iPad only, or not to your tastes. A couple are also not great in the long run but worth seeing.

Beat Sneak Bandit, Canabalt, Super Hexagon, Carcassonne and Hundreds, which is releasing next Thurs.

Best TD is probably Kingdom Rush. Check the OP, there are a pair of best of threads and new stuff in there.

Cool, I'll check these out. How bout RPGs?

Alexios

Cool, I'll check these out. How bout RPGs?
A couple in my list are RPGs. Squids (1&2, SRPG-like I guess) and Avernum (CRPG, there's also Avadon in the same style but more straightforward and streamlined). And Ravenmark is heavy turn based strategy with long story campaign.

Not to be a snark-but can someone remind me what the point of having a monthly thread with an updated OT with essential apps if we still get 2x a page "Hey GAF-I just got my first iPhone. Tell me what to get."

Concept17

Not to be a snark-but can someone remind me what the point of having a monthly thread with an updated OT with essential apps if we still get 2x a page "Hey GAF-I just got my first iPhone. Tell me what to get."

For me, threads with tons of titles listed out usually aren't really that helpful, as they tend to just list a ton of games. Prefer to have a few people tell me what they play, rather than scroll through a list.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

This happens on every thread on GAF

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's the best iPad soccer game again? Saw some discussion recently but don't remember. Action or strategy doesn't matter though prefer something that's different than just an inferior version of FIFA on consoles.

What's the best iPad soccer game again? Saw some discussion recently but don't remember. Action or strategy doesn't matter though prefer something that's different than just an inferior version of FIFA on consoles.
Score and Dream League Soccer by First Touch Games are top notch. Preference is towards Score due to it being more suitable for the touch screen. Dream League is more of the traditional soccer game but the controls are what sets it apart from the horrendous FIFA.

With Score, it really opens up once you finish the amateur mode. After that, your shot strength is dependent on the quickness of your lines. You are recreating classic goals and its an utter blast.

Danneee

Any tips for Infinity Gene? The game is soo much deeper than I though but I'm having difficulty progressing without just grinding.

Edit: ok grinding X-8 seem to work but I can't get to 4-1!

Is the combat in Baldur's Gate real time or paused?

Battle plays out in real time via ai scripts you can assign (aggressive mage, passive cleric etc).

However at any time you can pause the game and issue manual commands to everybody. Typically you will let you party take out easy enemies and take control of hard fights yourself.

The game also features plenty of auto pause options to help out.

CzarTim

Battle plays out in real time via ai scripts you can assign (aggressive mage, passive cleric etc.

However at any time you can pause the game and issue manual commands to everybody. Typically you will let you party take out easy enemies and take control of hard fights yourself.

Cheers.

Alexios

Just got 100% on Swordigo. What an awesome game. One of the only iOS action/adventure games that I really wanted to fully complete.
It's so ugly but plays really good despite the virtual buttons because, whether by intent, luck or accident, it's fine tuned to be just slow and floaty enough to make them more than workable. But I'll still enjoy it more on iCade probably.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Score and Dream League Soccer by First Touch Games are top notch. Preference is towards Score due to it being more suitable for the touch screen. Dream League is more of the traditional soccer game but the controls are what sets it apart from the horrendous FIFA.

With Score, it really opens up once you finish the amateur mode. After that, your shot strength is dependent on the quickness of your lines. You are recreating classic goals and its an utter blast.

This. First Touch Soccer is where it's at. They've spent some time on their non-main title (which is just First Touch Soccer) and made Dream League (kinda like a fantasy soccer league or so, make your own team but with full soccer features) and Score (kinda like flick kick, but you recreate classic goals, it's awesome)

Still waiting for the next installment of their main soccer title though :x

Yanksfan

Just started playing Big Win Basketball by Hothead Games. Its a lot like Madden Ultimate Team in that you get packs of cards and build your team up from the bottom by earning new packs of cards and better players. You don't actually play the games, just sim (and you can watch them play out if you like).

So far, pretty fun if you are into that sort of thing. They also have them for football, baseball, hockey and soccer.

This. First Touch Soccer is where it's at. They've spent some time on their non-main title (which is just First Touch Soccer) and made Dream League (kinda like a fantasy soccer league or so, make your own team but with full soccer features) and Score (kinda like flick kick, but you recreate classic goals, it's awesome)

Oh definitely. Their next First Touch Soccer release is one of my most anticipated iOS games outside of infinity Blade Dingeons.

PittaGAF

Pixel Defenders Puzzle is really cool. It's like Triple Town with RPG battle mechanics. ~15 minute tutorial could move a bit faster though. Highly recommend it for $.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixel-defenders-puzzle/id558503628?mt=8

Yeah despite the most boring, slow and unskippable tutorial ever, the game is pretty good.
It is damn hard in later levels too, you really must plan way ahead (I'm at level 23 now).
I play it constantly while waiting for my Battle of the Bulge turns. :)

dream

You guys aren't kidding about that tutorial. I feel like it's eroding my soul, and I'm only halfway through the second one...

Hey brahs, any of you play Wreck It Raplh? How far do you have to get in Fix It Felix to be able to play Sugar Rush and such. Pretty stupid the other games are "locked"

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm plowing through Broken Sword 2 ATM and after a quick search saw LucasCraps only has two of their classics on the AppStore? Jesus why are they ashamed of those games?

Zeth

Yeah despite the most boring, slow and unskippable tutorial ever, the game is pretty good.
It is damn hard in later levels too, you really must plan way ahead (I'm at level 23 now).
I play it constantly while waiting for my Battle of the Bulge turns. :)

I'm at level 10 and I'm loving it. Seems like it has a good amount of content + endless mode.

soldat7

I want to get FFT but I don't know if I should go iPhone version and play at 2x or get the iPad version. I don't want pixel filtering or stretched graphics which the iPad version seems to have...any comments on this?

colinp

Banned
I want to get FFT but I don't know if I should go iPhone version and play at 2x or get the iPad version. I don't want pixel filtering or stretched graphics which the iPad version seems to have...any comments on this?

I just picked up FFT for my mini and I think it looks great. I thought about getting the iPhone version (I've got a 4S) but the price discount to the iPad made me jump to the more expensive version. After playing it I think it was worth it, great damn game!

xCobalt

I ended up stopping at an ancient dragon knight.... Trying to decide if that's a good starter

Great starter actually. Probably better than a few God type monsters as ADK can be useful for end game dungeons. I'm actually looking for more allies with that monster. What's your id? I can give you a hand with my own dragon type monsters.

ParityBit

Great starter actually. Probably better than a few God type monsters as ADK can be useful for end game dungeons. I'm actually looking for more allies with that monster. What's your id? I can give you a hand with my own dragon type monsters.

My number is 375.435.291

My concern is ill never g another good rare! Since you only get them with gems ....

ss_lemonade

Battle plays out in real time via ai scripts you can assign (aggressive mage, passive cleric etc).

So its like KOTOR? Never played Baldur's Gate yet but I have been willing to give it a try (once I nab a $10 itunes card off freemyapps)

Clunker

Pixel Defenders Puzzle is really cool. It's like Triple Town with RPG battle mechanics. ~15 minute tutorial could move a bit faster though. Highly recommend it for $.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixel-defenders-puzzle/id558503628?mt=8
Thanks for the recommendation - this was on my wish list for a while but finally decided to stop being a cheapass and just bought for 99 cents. It's pretty great so far; I never got into Triple Town but this is much more enjoyable and accessible.

kennah

I can't wait for the Final Fantasy Tactics sale to be over, because I sure don't need to buy this game for a fourth time (and still never beat it)

xCobalt

My number is 375.435.291

My concern is ill never g another good rare! Since you only get them with gems ....

You can actually get many rares just off of dungeon drops. Most of the bosses you fight can be gotten. Here's a useful wiki (poorly translated using google). If you go to the list of normal dungeons on the left, it'll show you what notable drops are there. Drop rates tend to be pretty low for bosses though.

They just released the PS2/Wii remake of Baroque on iOS. The controls are kinda shoddy and the camera is way too close in third person mode.

luoapp

Dream League is so much better than Fifa 13 and it's free. Haven't tried First Touch Soccer yet, what's the difference between that and Dream League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom