• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having "giant image" quotes kind of defeats the reciprocal benefit of code giveaways. I'm giving away codes here to promote the game as much as to support GAF.

We have given away hundreds of codes in these threads, and really this is the first time I've seen anyone complain.

To be honest, they are pretty obnoxious when browsing the forum on an iPhone, but it's probably a small price to pay if someone is getting free games out of it. I don't think I'd complain unless they started happening a lot more frequently.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'd just rather see them in a different thread, since this thread moves too fast as it is. I don't think anyone would object if you made a standalone thread about your game featuring giveaways.

Hmmm Evilore might have an issue with that. That skews a lot more towards blatant advertising.

To be honest, they are pretty obnoxious when browsing the forum on an iPhone, but it's probably a small price to pay if someone is getting free games out of it. I don't think I'd complain unless they started happening a lot more frequently.

I personally browse GAF with images turned off on my phone (great feature of former SecondappsGAF and the new m.neogaf.com).

Like I said, we have given away hundreds of codes here and will give away hundreds more, so over time nobody should be missing out or overly inconvenienced.

That being said, obviously some people are. So we'll have a think. Perhaps rather than explicitly giving codes away here we could just more subtley direct people to code giveaways on our other social and web channels?

Nevasleep

Anybody else playing Kingdom Age?
It's fun for a freemium game, and I haven't had to purchase anything yet.

Almost feels like Age of Empires :lol

ToxicAdam

What power ups? Because they let you just buy those, I think. Not that I would, but I am curious.

Yea, if you collect every color of each pize level, you get a power up. The most useful is the sword. So, if you want a head start, I would recommend just buying the swords.

Card Boy

Banned
End of an era guys, Wario actually got banned. I guess his posts in other threads got the mods to remove his diplomatic immunity. It could be a Drinky cow tag though.

edit: its a tag it seems

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
End of an era guys, Wario actually got banned. I guess his posts in other threads got the mods to remove his diplomatic immunity. It could be a Drinky cow tag though.

The fuck?! How, where? It's easy to spot if it's just a tag.

Wario if you're banned, update your GC/PSN bubble with the date the ban is lifted!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why does Minecraft have THE WORST TOUCH CONTROLS EVER? For such an awesome PC game to be so ridiculously unplayable on iOS is a real shame, since just about any one of us could walk into Mojang and tell them exactly what to do to not have absolute garbage controls.

It really perplexes me. The Minecraft clones on ios have better controls.

Flunkie

Banned
Why does Minecraft have THE WORST TOUCH CONTROLS EVER? For such an awesome PC game to be so ridiculously unplayable on iOS is a real shame, since just about any one of us could walk into Mojang and tell them exactly what to do to not have absolute garbage controls.

It really perplexes me. The Minecraft clones on ios have better controls.

Yup. That clone that was given away for free over the weekend with the Free App Daily (I think that's what it's called) has better controls than the Minecraft official app. Stupid.

Pastry

Banned
I personally browse GAF with images turned off on my phone (great feature of former SecondappsGAF and the new m.neogaf.com).

Like I said, we have given away hundreds of codes here and will give away hundreds more, so over time nobody should be missing out or overly inconvenienced.

That being said, obviously some people are. So we'll have a think. Perhaps rather than explicitly giving codes away here we could just more subtley direct people to code giveaways on our other social and web channels?

Bleh. I really enjoy the fact that y'all do giveaways here. I don't really bother with social media outlets and think its great that I can still get a code in a giveaway through GAF. Maybe just do it without images or the first five to pm or something?

plc268

I think I just found my favorite accessory for the ipad... both for gaming and general use.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=11212&cs_id=1084305&p_id=8263&seq=1&format=2
KMIef.jpg

Why? It works absolutely great for gyroscope racing games. I took Real Racing 2, turned off all assists and used manual brake and acceleration, and it just plays like a dream. Steer the ipad like... well a steering wheel because you can rotate the screen as you play.

Not only that, the stand itself works great with other games. It really doesn't impede on your grip of the ipad. I noticed that when I gamed on the ipad before, I put a lot of strain on my neck as I was holding the ipad. Now, I use the stand to put the weight of the ipad on my stomach, and now I don't have to support the weight with my arms. I know that sounds trivial as the ipad isn't that heavy, but it has made a huge difference for me.

It's a sturdy stand too. The image shows an ipad 1, but it fits my ipad 3 just fine (even with a backcover it'll fit no problem). Anyway, it comes to about ~$20 shipped from monoprice.

I know this post sounds like an ad, but I just wanted to share my experience with thisl

Dash Kappei

Bleh. I really enjoy the fact that y'all do giveaways here. I don't really bother with social media outlets and think its great that I can still get a code in a giveaway through GAF. Maybe just do it without images or the first five to pm or something?

Without image there's no promotion, with the PMs it'd mean he'd receive a ton of PMs and would need to take the time to reply. The vast majority thinks it's fine as it is, as long as no GAF's rules are broken than it should be a democracy thing. This is blowing way out of proportions honestly.

Seven huge ass pictures quoted in a row sucks.

What happens if another developer starts doing giveaways in the same way? Another five? That would shit this thread up quick. Free games are all well and good, but that kind of stuff is annoying.

I don't think the full image quote is a requirement, it's easy enough to just leave the brackets open or maybe quote the app's little Appstore icon.
But I don't want to speak for Mario nor anybody else, so of course some clarification on the matter would be better.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Without image there's no promotion, with the PMs it'd mean he'd receive a ton of PMs and would need to take the time to reply. The vast majority thinks it's fine as it is, as long as no GAF's rules are broken than it should be a democracy thing. This blowing way out of proportions honestly.

Seven huge ass pictures quoted in a row sucks.

What happens if another developer starts doing giveaways in the same way? Another five? That would shit this thread up quick. Free games are all well and good, but that kind of stuff is annoying.

Dash Kappei

but what I really wanted to post is

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!!!

I finally gave the Jukebeat app a go and what I have to say is, again, you guys are shitting me right?
How the fuck am I supposed to clear an extreme difficulty setting? I can't see how I will ever be able to even come close to perfect combo a medium song, but i REFUSE to believe a human can play and enjoy through the extreme ones. COME ON!?! That shit ain't possible, is it?!

:O

Contra's theme is glorious btw.

I'd be a lot less concerned if the picture wasn't part of the post being quoted, but seeing the same damn picture every other day is getting tiresome and things people are actually trying to discuss are being buried by it.

This is beyond the fact that I think so many codes are given at such frequent intervals that it's actually encouraging users here not to pay for the app and just wait until the next giveaway, which seems counterproductive to good business.

I'd be a lot less concerned if the picture wasn't part of the post being quoted, but seeing the same damn picture every other day is getting tiresome and things people are actually trying to discuss are being buried by it.

This is beyond the fact that I think so many codes are given at such frequent intervals that it's actually encouraging users here not to pay for the app and just wait until the next giveaway, which seems counterproductive to good business.
Counterproductive to good business? It's for a single forum, and only registered members at that.

Jesus, people complain about anything.

Heel

lkQ7j.jpg

I had no idea seeing pictures was such an inconvenience for people. "Being buried" uh, really man?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm not against giveaways or self-promotion. It's just the fact that in this entire forum, this is the only thread for iOS games, and so it moves extremely fast. If you want to stay current and not miss a potentially great game or limited deal, you really have to make an effort to check it extremely often.

That's not that big of a deal - a lot of threads are like that - but when there's half a page of visual clutter, it makes sifting through the thread a lot harder. I'd be in favor of making a separate iOS giveaways thread if the trend continues.

But even if nothing changes, it's really not a big deal. Minor annoyance, if anything.

I finally gave the Jukebeat app a go and what I have to say is, again, you guys are shitting me right?
How the fuck am I supposed to clear an extreme difficulty setting? I can't see how I will ever be able to even come close to perfect combo a medium song, but i REFUSE to believe a human can play and enjoy through the extreme ones. COME ON!?! That shit ain't possible, is it?!

Hey, I saw this post and decided to make this for you: http://youtu.be/gtrNHzmuRIc

It's still uploading and I'm not going to wait until it's finished because it's almost 2am and I really need to be in bed. Also sorry I wasn't set up to record my hand movements, it was one or the other and I figured just the direct screen capture would be more helpful.

Enjoy! :3

japtor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUWdMc61REA
...and that doesn't seem as hard as some other ones I've seen. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to be able to pass Extreme unless there's an abnormally easy song that I play a lot, I might squeak by with a C. I felt lucky to get a D when I tried any.
I'm not against giveaways or self-promotion. It's just the fact that in this entire forum, this is the only thread for iOS games, and so it moves extremely fast. If you want to stay current and not miss a potentially great game or limited deal, you really have to make an effort to check it extremely often.

That's not that big of a deal - a lot of threads are like that - but when there's half a page of visual clutter, it makes sifting through the thread a lot harder. I'd be in favor of making a separate iOS giveaways thread if the trend continues.

But even if nothing changes, it's really not a big deal. Minor annoyance, if anything.
Yeah it's just annoying. One simple compromise suggestion, if you're going to spam the thread with quoted images for giveaways, use smaller images. Halve them down to 160x240 or something, screens are still visible enough (and will presumably still be repeated in quotes down the page for the promotion) but they won't look nearly as huge on page.

jlevel13

I haven't really wanted to say anything, because I know people like free things, but the give-a-ways have been getting a little annoying in this thread. In general, I'm looking at the thread for info and opinion on games, not to see the ads/giveaways repeated day after day. I think it has just slowly been starting to annoy people because it has been happening so steadily over the last few weeks. It's obviously getting towards the tipping point, if a few more developers start using the same tactic it really will be too much. I know people want to promote their stuff, but maybe try to limit it to once every couple of weeks or something, otherwise it does start to create a bit of a negative feeling, of being bombarded with ads. My 2 cents anway...

Coal

I'll put it this way: at other forums I go to, in these types of threads you usually see, oh, I don't know, discussion about video games on the iOS. VERY RARELY do you see people posting codes and things like this to get apps for free, and even then they're done once (usually when someone is releasing their game).

If it's done every so often, no big deal. But man, I read like 3 pages back or so and there were almost nothing but posts talking about redeeming codes and shit like that. If you want to promote your game, fine, but this thread should be for discussing games, not advertising and whatnot.

Like it or not but that's basically what all the redeemable code spamming has turned into.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Once my game is done, I wanted to give some codes away to NeoGAF. So you're saying you don't want me to do that?

Coal

Once my game is done, I wanted to give some codes away to NeoGAF. So you're saying you don't want me to do that?

No, do it! But give people a reason to actually spend MONEY on your game.

Give away 5-10 codes, then stop. Let those people talk about your game on GAF and let others buy it. Be smart, don't start projectile vomiting codes every five posts.

And yes, the tons of image-quoting is annoying, you fuck.

japtor

C3LzR.jpg

I say keep the giveaways in this thread. Kudos to the developers for recognizing the community and giving us nice things. Wahhhh there are lots of images!
If I ever do an app giveaway using images I'm doing it with iPad retina screenshots just to spite you. And require images to be outside the quote tags to display full size.

oipic

Ironically, more forum inches have now been committed to discussion of the images than to the images themselves! Exacerbated further by my two cents:

My word is worth little here admittedly, but I say carry on as things are - in every forum in all the worlds there are posts that some will have lesser interest in, and scrolling past those doesn't prove to be troublesome - the giveaway posts and their quoterparts are easier to identify and scroll on past, if anything. So long as giveaways are done in a manner respectful of the forum (I'd place Mario's generous offerings in this boat), and not blatantly spam-worthy (like us on Facebook!), then I see no harm.

mandiller

I need some help. I saw a guy on the bus playing what looked like a great turn-based strategy game on his iPhone (a little like advance wars) but I didn't think to ask what the name of it was at the time. Any ideas what game it might have been?

What I know:

-It's a modern time game with tanks etc
-Isometric, 3d-ish graphics
-Units are produced from a 'factory' building
-turn-based

Any ideas? It looked like a pretty polished game.

zerotol

Banned
I need some help. I saw a guy on the bus playing what looked like a great turn-based strategy game on his iPhone (a little like advance wars) but I didn't think to ask what the name of it was at the time. Any ideas what game it might have been?

What I know:

-It's a modern time game with tanks etc
-Isometric, 3d-ish graphics
-Units are produced from a 'factory' building
-turn-based

Any ideas? It looked like a pretty polished game.

Great Little War Game?

krYlon

Bard's Tale well worth the price of admission, controls well with touch controls. Will net you some 12-15 hours of gameplay. It's a very solid port of the 2004 console version, looks a little dated with the textures but no real biggie. I've played it on both my 4S and iPad 3, works great on either and it has cloud saves to boot.

Cheers, that's what I wanted to hear.

Some of us waited over a year for activation...
Three months :D

All these are relavent and i hear you hate image quoting.

0300_ymsh.gif

0019_79ow.gif

0027_ilg7.gif

0367_r8lk.gif

Quoted for posterity

Seriously, developers keep promoting your games anyway you want. You're giving away your game for free to some of the members of this site. I can't believe people are complaining about that in any way!

My only suggestion is to give them away when I'm online :p (Although, I support most of the developers on GAF outright by purchasing their games anyways, so it's not like I'd be able to use the code)

Zia

I say keep the giveaways in this thread. Kudos to the developers for recognizing the community and giving us nice things. Wahhhh there are lots of images!

Agreed, and I've never had a desire to grab any of them. Most of this thread consists of people posting that x mediocre game is now free, or ninety-nine cents, anyway.

ToxicAdam

People's opinions and reviews are more valuable to me than some giveaways or quasi-contests.

If anything, these giveaways devalue people's opinions in this thread because they might feel inclined to say nice things about a game they got for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom