• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

I haven't really wanted to say anything, because I know people like free things, but the give-a-ways have been getting a little annoying in this thread. In general, I'm looking at the thread for info and opinion on games, not to see the ads/giveaways repeated day after day. I think it has just slowly been starting to annoy people because it has been happening so steadily over the last few weeks. It's obviously getting towards the tipping point, if a few more developers start using the same tactic it really will be too much. I know people want to promote their stuff, but maybe try to limit it to once every couple of weeks or something, otherwise it does start to create a bit of a negative feeling, of being bombarded with ads. My 2 cents anway...

I'll put it this way: at other forums I go to, in these types of threads you usually see, oh, I don't know, discussion about video games on the iOS. VERY RARELY do you see people posting codes and things like this to get apps for free, and even then they're done once (usually when someone is releasing their game).

If it's done every so often, no big deal. But man, I read like 3 pages back or so and there were almost nothing but posts talking about redeeming codes and shit like that. If you want to promote your game, fine, but this thread should be for discussing games, not advertising and whatnot.

Like it or not but that's basically what all the redeemable code spamming has turned into.

Agree. It feels cheap to be honest. If I felt like the folks coming in here were just trying to be nice, I wouldn't be offended by it. But it's more than obvious they're simply trying to rouse some sort of buzz for their app. What better place to do it than on GAF? It actually surprises me that it's allowed, but I don't claim to fully comprehend the workings of the site.

Glad someone said something, not that it will change anything. But the smell of used car salesman is pretty rank.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Subscribing... the iPad is my main gaming platform so I need to stay more up to speed on iOS gaming news :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I didn't notice they released a new The Quest expansion recently. My iPhone has officially reinstalled all expansions of The Quest and I've started playing it again. What an AMAZING game...

SteveWD40

Three months :D

HzTiN.gif

you guys are crazy. i dont even reach for the codes, but the generosity is highly appreciated. maybe we should direct all iOS devs to TouchArcade? SMH. this thread can be more than "im new here, tell me what to buy" or "hey, i like 'Xgame'...do you like Xgame too?"

Cheebo

Banned
I didn't notice they released a new The Quest expansion recently. My iPhone has officially reinstalled all expansions of The Quest and I've started playing it again. What an AMAZING game...

I never understood why this game never got much attention. It's the Elder Scrolls of iOS games.

I never understood why this game never got much attention. It's the Elder Scrolls of iOS games.

I haven't played it, but it looks like a M&M game with one person instead of four. Are you saying it's like TES because of the first person perspective, or because it's like, the Dane Cook of RPGs?

Munin

I haven't played it, but it looks like a M&M game with one person instead of four. Are you saying it's like TES because of the first person perspective, or because it's like, the Dane Cook of RPGs?

It is very openly structured, has a day/night cycle etc. Of course it's not a modern open world game like Skyrim, but it's probably one of the deepest games on iPhone right now. It's probably on par with MMVI.

Cheebo

Banned

More because it is a first person western RPG that throws you into a massive open world where you can do basically whatever you want.

Yes Daggerfall is the best comparison. Gigantic world and it doesn't tell you what to do. I really get the impression the devs made the game as a homage to Daggerfall.

r3n4ud

you guys are crazy. i dont even reach for the codes, but the generosity is highly appreciated. maybe we should direct all iOS devs to TouchArcade? SMH. this thread can be more than "im new here, tell me what to buy" or "hey, i like 'Xgame'...do you like Xgame too?"

I agree the constant giveaways are really damn annoying.

Why doesn't someone start an ios thread for those giveaways. That way this tread won't be fucking cluttered with ios devs giving out codes and stay on track with what games to try and buy.

It is very openly structured, has a day/night cycle etc. Of course it's not a modern open world game like Skyrim, but it's probably one of the deepest games on iPhone right now. It's probably on par with MMVI.

Okay, you officially have my attention.

Also Cheebo, I completely misread your post before, thought you were saying it was overrated, not underappreciated. It's officially on my radar now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I agree the constant giveaways are really damn annoying.

Why doesn't someone start an ios thread for those giveaways. That way this tread won't be fucking cluttered with ios devs giving out codes and stay on track with what games to try and buy.

I don't think panama chief was saying anything of the sort. He was saying to stop the bitching, because it's kinda stupid and ungrateful.

Btw, ths conversation is way more stupid than my "is it worth it" rant from last week.

r3n4ud

I don't think panama chief was saying anything of the sort. He was saying to stop the bitching, because it's kinda stupid and ungrateful.

Btw, ths conversation is way more stupid than my "is it worth it" rant from last week.

Ya, I quoted the wrong person lol. I know he was saying stop being ungrateful. I don't have a problem with people handing out free codes, but damn, do it elsewhere and stop shitting up the tread with giveaways. My 2 cents.

Both conversations are a little stupid, but at least your rant was entertaining to read. :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What would you guys say are some of the essential or great longform games out there? I'm talking something along the lines of a classic RPG like Chaos Rings or something Legend of Zelda-ish that I could sink a lot of time into and plays well on the iPad.

Right now Puzzle Quest 1 + 2 is really the only games I have that fit this bill that I like currently. The posted games of Undercroft and The Quest seem interesting, but admittedly the old-school aesthetic is putting me off instead of turning me on (probably my loss, I know).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Okay, you officially have my attention.

Also Cheebo, I completely misread your post before, thought you were saying it was overrated, not underappreciated. It's officially on my radar now.

If you have any interest in it, The Quest Gold is the best deal available. It has the base game with a handful of the expansions built in. After that, you can decide if it's worth delving into the other expansions accordingly.

One thing I'm a big fan of (and don't understand!) is how after buying the expansions, you can load them into The Quest/The Quest Gold and remove the expansion from your device. Maybe it works like an unlock key or something? No idea...But it's fantastic nonetheless! I've bought every expansion and have loved every moment I've spent with it.

krYlon

Been playing The Quest recently and it is excellent.

I prefer it to Undercroft so far, though obviously it is a little different being solo with real time combat.

Wasn't it released on pocket or palm PC before iphone? It's amazing what they've done with the limitations.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Been playing The Quest recently and it is excellent.

I prefer it to Undercroft so far, though obviously it is a little different being solo with real time combat.

Wasn't it released on pocket or palm PC before iphone? It's amazing what they've done with the limitations.

Pretty sure it's a port, yeah.

Hatchi currently free.

now i feel bad for not spending the dollar. my wife is going to have a field day with this one.

...but you gave us an iOS meme.... :p

i worry less about the ungratefulness and more about the longterm implications. having the devs come here and post info about what theyre doing or how soon we can get an update is one of the reason GAF is so.....respected. id hate for these guys to feel unwelcome cause a few people hate that once a week they try to do something nice.

a smaller image could go a long way, so i understand where most people are coming from and i can see that they dont want this to burst into an image board when codes are being thrown out; but that one guy calling them fucks and the over reaching hate of a kind act was uncalled for.

What would you guys say are some of the essential or great longform games out there? I'm talking something along the lines of a classic RPG like Chaos Rings or something Legend of Zelda-ish that I could sink a lot of time into and plays well on the iPad.

Right now Puzzle Quest 1 + 2 is really the only games I have that fit this bill that I like currently. The posted games of Undercroft and The Quest seem interesting, but admittedly the old-school aesthetic is putting me off instead of turning me on (probably my loss, I know).

I'm playing through Shining Force right now. I'm playing the iPhone version that is .99. It upscales so well on iPad 3 that it loos like it was made for it. I play it all the damn time too. It is a turned based strategy game. It's a classic and I love it.

Gazzawa

Have you tried Zenonia 1 and 2 (zelda-ish) they recently went free for a bit but are usually quite cheap. 3 and 4 are just freemium crap.

r3n4ud

now i feel bad for not spending the dollar. my wife is going to have a field day with this one.

...but you gave us an iOS meme.... :p

i worry less about the ungratefulness and more about the longterm implications. having the devs come here and post info about what theyre doing or how soon we can get an update is one of the reason GAF is so.....respected. id hate for these guys to feel unwelcome cause a few people hate that once a week they try to do something nice.

a smaller image could go a long way, so i understand where most people are coming from and i can see that they dont want this to burst into an image board when codes are being thrown out; but that one guy calling them fucks and the over reaching hate of a kind act was uncalled for.

Uh, panama chief...I never called the ios devs fucks. I said I wish they'd post their codes in a specific tread or what not. I appreciate their generosity, but either do it less often or do it elsewhere is all I'm saying. Anyways, lets talk about games and not turn this into a pissing contest lol.

Uh, panama chief...I never called the ios devs fucks. I said I wish they'd post their codes in a specific tread or what not. I appreciate their generosity, but either do it less often or do it elsewhere is all I'm saying. Anyways, lets talk about games and not turn this into a pissing contest lol.

you sure are missreading me today. no. it wasnt you. it was some other guy. im with you tho, lets get back into talking about games.

the devs of Junk Jack posted a huge changelog for their upcoming UNIVERSAL UPDATE that was submitted late last night. here are a few bits:

New features:

• Universal Version
• New mobs
• 120 new recipes for cookable foods!
• New cooking pot craftable addon
• New cooking ware craftable addon
• Craftable scarecrow
• Craftable hoe!
• Plantable trees
• Every plant yelds the relative fruit and sapling/sprout
• Palm trees (replantable) that yield coconuts
• Tabs for categories in the craftbook

Enhancements:

• Death penalty will now drop all your items with the exeption of quickslots, but no item is lost, just dropped
• 5 new achievements
• Rewrote inventory dragging algorithm: now you won’t miss drags and it will be a lot faster on older devices
• Decoration blocks (eg. curtains, half blocks) can now be properly placed on sand (and on other blocks which didn’t allow them)
• Item on shelves will retain uses count and data values (craftnotes, for example, won’t lose their number)
• Dark stone/Obsidian veins can now be destroyed with TNT (and not with tools anymore)
• It’s possible to obtain a bucket of milk from cows while tapping them with an empty bucket in hand
• It’s now possible to break allowed blocks on top layer with every item selected in quickslot
• Now game interface won’t halt if you have in-app purchases disabled and you click on shop
• Planted trees will have some variation in height (not all equal anymore)

Full List

i used to play a ton of this game on my iphone, but havent touched it on the ipad. hopefully we get the update soon.

Gaaraz

Seriously, developers keep promoting your games anyway you want. You're giving away your game for free to some of the members of this site. I can't believe people are complaining about that in any way!
This. Thank you to Mario and anyone else who's given a code away (and this is from someone who usually reads the thread from a few pages back and misses them all anyway!) - keep making great games :)

Late to the party but Bike Baron :D :D :D

I finally deleted this when Trials Evo came out. It really shows it up for how just not good enough it is, even for a game that you're able to carry around with you.

Saturday Morning RPG is getting a massive update very soon which should make the battles much less tedious. Definitely giving it another go when it hits.

Okay, I'm finally up - for those that missed it last night, I hooked up the iPad and played two songs in jubeat plus on demand after seeing Dash's post, this was the result: http://youtu.be/gtrNHzmuRIc

There's no way in hell I'm ever going to be able to pass Extreme unless there's an abnormally easy song that I play a lot, I might squeak by with a C. I felt lucky to get a D when I tried any.

It might sound corny, but it's really all about having a positive mindset, and practice. I only play once a week at most and I've gotten to where I am over a six month period of barely playing. People who play more often can (and have) improved a lot faster.

It's also worth experimenting with markers to see which one works for you - at this point, I can only play using the fireworks and my timing suffers if I use any other marker. Eventually going to have to try and wean my way out of this though - a lot of Japanese arcade players seem to really like the flower.

hygraed

Adventure Bar Story
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
The Bard's Tale
Galaxy on Fire 2
King of Dragon Pass
Swordigo

Any games that I would like if I enjoy:

Jetpack Joyride (love the highscore stuff)
Plants vs. Zombies (love the length and depth and I love tower defense)
Hero Academy (I love asynchronous games)
Angry Birds Space (pure fun)

Glass Rebel

Samurai Bloodshow. Or wait for Alexandria Bloodshow.

BigDug13

When the iPhone comes attached to an analogue control pad, then this can happen.

Until then, no.

I like using these on my ipad:

http://www.ablegamers.com/disabled-general-news/fling-joystick-review.html

I have yet to try the "mini" version for phone. But playing a dual stick game like Geometry Wars on the ipad has become pretty much on par with dual stick controller.

edit - Hmm...a comment on that site recommended "thumbumper" as well. Have to check that out. That comes in 3 sizes as well and seems more portable...

AEREC

Kingdom Rush...I actually like it a bit better than PvZ..it's iPad only though.

IMO-the app giveaways are much as part of this thread-as the page long discussions of board games, Kairosoft games, and new iOS users popping in twice a page saying "Hey I just got a new iPhone-can anyone recommend a game for me?"

I've never gotten a free code in here-but I've given some away from Starbucks. I have become aware of Monster Flip because of the giveaway-and I'm very grateful-even though I never won a code-because I love the game.

I don't really care about Kairosoft games, but I don't bitch about the long discussions-I just know that at some point the thread is going to come around to another topic.

So again-I say things stay the way they are.

So say we all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom