• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JRPG Blue Reflection Has Creepier than Average DLC: Underage Girls in Swimsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensui-tomo

Pretty sick how pedophilia gets a free pass with some. What kind of adult wants to play games with little girls dressed to titilate?

i think the term you're looking for is Ephebophilia, since i believe these characters are between the ages of 15-19. Pedophilia is aimed for younger children.

Ok after seeing the shower scene from the youtube link someone posted earlier (don't want to quote it), this game can't really be defended. Surprised it's actually coming out here.

Dude games that have waaaaaaaaay more fan service get localized.

fhqwhgads

Man, the world would be so much less confusing if everyone else could just adopt our cultural values and hangups. Maybe we could start a fundraiser to airdrop some GTA over Tokyo and set them on a moral and righteous path?

Products of different cultures will carry baggage, good and bad. Experiencing a piece of that culture and what makes it unique is sort of the joy. If you don't like a particular product then don't partake. That is a totally appropriate response. This constant hair-pulling over problematic aspects of foreign entertainment doesn't help anything and instead just allows an opportunity for people here to signal their own impeccable virtue (while consuming problematic content of their own). Maybe let Japan do Japan?

If you are looking to advance the cause of women and other at-risk groups, perhaps turn your eyes toward the nation of Qatar, you know, the state-funder of the news outlet cited in the OP?

Human Rights Watch

Here are some highlights:

"Provisions of Law No. 22 of 2006, Qatar’s first codified law to address issues of family and personal status, discriminates against women. Under article 36, a marriage contract is valid when a woman’s male guardian concludes the contract and two male witnesses are present. Article 57 forbids husbands from hurting their wives physically or morally, but article 58 states that it is a wife’s responsibility to look after the household and to obey her husband. Other than general provisions on assault, the penal code does not criminalize domestic violence. Marital rape is not a crime."

"Qatar’s penal code punishes “sodomy” with one to three years in prison, and under Sharia law, which applies to Muslims, any individual convicted of zina (sex outside of marriage) can be sentenced to flogging (non-married persons) or the death penalty (married persons). According to media reports, dozens of people have been given flogging sentences—ranging from 40 to 100 lashes—since 2004, including at least 45 between 2009 and 2011."

So, to be clear: We criminalize sodomy and flog the hell out of people for sex outside of marriage but have you seen how messed up Japan is?

But by all means, lets continue to rend garments over over swimsuits on fictional characters. There are plenty of opportunities in the world to be outraged if that is your thing but maybe start by protecting the rights of actual people. Once you make some progress on that first order problem then move on to to knock-on effects of media.
Some GAF users really fucking love whataboutism, don't they? Get this shit outta here, you don't care about stopping the issue, you're just trying to derail the thread from what it's supposed to be about.

nOoblet16

Congrats Persona 5 fans you are now officially on the FBI watch list.\(^ω^\)( /^ω^)/

P5-Swimsuit-Set.jpg
This is fine, everyone including the guys are wearing typical beach wears and people wear beach wears regardless of age. 16-17 year olds would wear beach wears like that and all they are doing is selling costumes that's already in the game, that characters wear over a certain period of time, as an unlockable that you can wear anywhere else. Like you can buy every single piece of clothing that characters wear in that game and the swimsuits happen to be one of them. It's still pandering but it's alright and not really disgusting.

c1ef4c1adcc50629fa1992ec81accc97.png

002cfe6c7d0d2bc039c41a06a1f1e5d9.jpg

just bikinis guys
respect their culture guys
This however is not fine.

5taquitos

Man, the defense force that comes out whenever someone criticizes the objectification of women/children in anime/JRPGs is always surprising to me, though I guess it shouldn't anymore.

Jintor

did you know i can't both care about fictional sexualisation and real world issues at the same time? it's a serious problem

Aizo

Banned
I don't understand the posts telling me to argue about more important issues in other countries. I was on PSN, I saw this ad for the DLC, and I live in Japan. This is why I have argued the things I have about this specific game and specifically about Japan.

It's like some people don't have the circuitry in their brain to detect when things go over a line... or they're just defending their questionable tastes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like we've had hundreds of games released with this kind of stuff. I just don't see that many actually angry about. If someone wants to actually spend $20 on this weird bikini DLC, then whatever.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sorry, could someone clear this up for me, how old are these minors in question?

VGdCdHp.jpg

Changed the post with an edited pic from Wikipedia bout the average ages for the various education levels in Japan.

So to answer your question it would be the last 3 rows of this image for the High School category as thats the setting for the game.

thegriz

Banned
He's talking about the "everyone has to dress like Puritans" part of your post. Honestly, I would also like to see sources or examples of what you mean by that. Because it seems to me that you're implying that the cure is worse than the disease...

Many localizations of japanese games put more clothes on characters, which weren't attempts at sexualization like this cause.

http://download.gamezone.com/upload...width_SMTxFE_Kiria_idol_outfit_comparsion.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/ar....jpg/EG11/resize/600x-1/quality/80/format/jpg

http://randomtower.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Outfit-comparison.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA7uW-Efy3k

Joey Ravn

Banned
Man, the world would be so much less confusing if everyone else could just adopt our cultural values and hangups. Maybe we could start a fundraiser to airdrop some GTA over Tokyo and set them on a moral and righteous path?

Products of different cultures will carry baggage, good and bad. etc.

You could have said "What about Qatar?" and your post would have been equally effective... in completely missing the point of everything. It's really not necessary to say that one big bad thing doesn't magically pardon all small bad things, nor that two bad things can't exist at the same time. It goes without saying that people who find this disgusting will also find disgusting how women are treated in certain parts of the world. What's the point you're trying to make? That everyone is a hypocrite because there are "bigger fish to fry"?

i think the term you're looking for is Ephebophilia, since i believe these characters are between the ages of 15-19. Pedophilia is aimed for younger children.

Posted earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfV-bXDFxs

So you're saying that those characters look like this?

puritans-1-1.jpg

I'm done. I just can't.

Glass Rebel

Seems pretty clear cut to me but this is typical Gust fare from what I've seen. I don't know how sexualized the characters are in the main game but pretty much all of them seem to have titillating DLC costumes for their characters that are either designed to look underage or are underage proper.

Bottomline is, if you want or need to see these characters in their underwear, there's something wrong with you.

I have always wondered, is this a by-product of attempting to target the age group these characters belong in (high school kids) because anyone can play video games anywhere, at any age?

Not that it makes it any better, but it would make more sense.

Not that teenage boys needs things more sexualized than just existing to find it appealing, if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

Cornbread78

Not really sure how Sony gets a pass for allowing shit like this on their store.
Oh, that's easy. The game got official ratings by official boards, that make it officially and legally eligible to be sold on PSN and everywhere else. Officially, mind you.
You know that nintendo has it's fare share of games that do this, right? And besides Sony hardly gets a pass, when ever there is an iffy game on vita we see a thread on gaf. That said, the game is rated in many regions as others have mentioned

Yeah, Nintendo has quite the situationon their hands with the diminishing viability of the Vita and the increasing viability of the Switch when it comes to handheld games and the niche Japanese gamed market. People can scream SONY SONY SONY all they want, but this $hit is coming to a Switch near you very soon my friends.....

The first scene of P4 is Rise in a bikini and advertising a beverage.

Oh, I know. I just love it when people call out these niche games for swimsuits, but the mainstream games are no different in that regard. I will freely admit that the ones shown in Blue Reflection are definitely depicted as younger girls and is a much worse look, but still, this isn't an isolated thing...

I said this is probably sexualization. I also said exploitation of minors is a problem in Japan. I am not sure how I argued against this. .

I don't know if it was your intent but your post comes across like you trying to give this game a pass because you feel people are too quick to call something sexualised.

LiK

I wish I could be shocked or surprised but even popular games like DoA had underaged girls in bikinis for decades. They changed their ages for Western release but that wasn't the case in Japan originally. There are also a lot of other similar fanservicey games in Japan with stuff like this. Games like GalGun had expensive DLC where the girls had see-thru clothing and they're in high school, iirc. This is more of the same.

I have always wondered, is this a by-product of attempting to target the age group these characters belong in (high school kids) because anyone can play video games anywhere, at any age?

Not that it makes it any better, but it would make more sense.

Not that teenage boys needs things more sexualized than just existing to find it appealing, if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

I doubt it

It's likely focused on appealing to a niche market. That's why the price is so ridiculous.

Ninjimbo

I don't understand the posts telling me to argue about more important issues in other countries. I was on PSN, I saw this ad for the DLC, and I live in Japan. This is why I have argued the things I have about this specific game and specifically about Japan.
Honest question: what do you expect a bunch of foreigners on GAF to do? I think a bunch of people agree with your sentiments, but they're also acknowledging that they live in a different country and it really is Japan's problem. The most we can do on here is discuss the problem which you'll find a majority of the people agreeing with you. What's the point here if not only to express outrage? It's good that you have a conscience, I guess?

Jintor

Honest question: what do you expect a bunch of foreigners on GAF to do? I think a bunch of people agree with your sentiments, but they're also acknowledging that they live in a different country and it really is Japan's problem. The most we can do on here is discuss the problem which you'll find a majority of the people agreeing with you. What's the point here if not only to express outrage? It's good that you have a conscience, I guess?

damn man why post anything ever if it's not gonna result in action

elyetis

There is little I find unreasonable when it comes to fictional characters, but I might have spent too much time on internet so I'm a lost cause.

There is little I find unreasonable when it comes to fictional characters.
I know the OP is about broader issues, but Gust rpgs are extremely niche for a reason.

There is so little in anime that resembles anything close to an actual human being, much less something physically intangible drawn, voiced, animated and written by adults for adults, without even the faintest hint at PG-13 nudity.

This thread acts as if we should be mass-calling a UNICEF hotline in tears.

Cornbread78

There is so little in anime that resembles anything close to an actual human being, much less something physically intangible drawn, voiced, animated and written by adults for adults, without even the faintest hint at PG-13 nudity.

This thread acts as if we should be mass-calling a UNICEF hotline in tears.

On the flip side, there are anime and games out there that do not rely on fanservice to be good games and experiences; just ask...

I doubt it

It's likely focused on appealing to a niche market. That's why the price is so ridiculous.

That also sounds like a good way to earn money, to manipulate the young and impressionable as well.

I can't watch this as I'm at work, and I'm sure this was posted because many people think it is bad, but I found this series hilarious when I was in high school, of course what I also took from it was the obsession with having sex or virginity was something to be ridiculed because everyone does stuff when they do it, and it isn't a race. Also because (once again, anecdotal) many teenagers were obsessed with the concept, I felt it was although over-the-top, pretty accurate some times lol. I got asked questions I didn't want to be asked myself. Thank god those years are over.

so I'm a lost cause.

image.php

jstripes

Banned
Let's back this up for a sec and get right down to the basics, guys.

For everyone defending this by saying "It's just a different country's culture." This is not mainstream Japanese culture.

This is a creepy, perverted subculture that, while not outright illegal, is strongly looked down upon by the Japanese mainstream.

You're proudly lumping yourselves in with another country's sexual deviants.

HardRojo

Really disgusting and the sexualized poses make it worse.
Isn't swimsuit modeling for minors a big thing in Japan too? For a well developed country, they still have some seriously messed up shit. Any game that has characters depicting minors and tries to sexualize them by using suggestive poses should be nuked from this planet.
This is why I couldn't watch Kill la Kill. What happens in the second episode is some seriously disgusting shit, I don't know how it became so popular overseas.

Yeah, Nintendo has quite the situationon their hands with the diminishing viability of the Vita and the increasing viability of the Switch when it comes to handheld games and the niche Japanese gamed market. People can scream SONY SONY SONY all they want, but this $hit is coming to a Switch near you very soon my friends.....

Yup, I'm curious how people will react. This is not new to nintendo, but it's easier to ignore because the Vita. With the Vita soon to be gone, people can't ignore the games on nintendo.

Jimm

The game itself looks really great from the trailers I've seen.

These costumes... are just sad. Even the FFXV ones are bad. Can't they just sell the game on it's own merits.

fhqwhgads

I think I'm gonna have to make a bingo card of reasons to defend this if things keep up. Threads like this show we can be just as bad as 4chan at times when we want to be, so if you folks keep wanting to defend/excuse/ignore sexualised minors then knock yourselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom