• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

- Bought the PS4 digital version on launch day through my older account.

- Bought the PS4 Special Edition on Amazon, because I wanted something tangible (selling it now, though).

- Bought another PS4 digital copy through my secondary account, because I wanted to platinum it again.

- Now I'm buying the full price, physical copy of this now, because I want to own the best version of the best game of all time, that no one can take away from me.

Worth every dime. This game touched my soul. Means a lot to me.

Team Abby bitches!
same broski, i wish i didnt spoil the joel part with the leaks. i cannot imagine going into this without knowing anything and playing through this masterpiece. it was a profound gaming moment for me, the two sit downs i did and played it all the way through. sitdown one was ellie, then abby and finished ellie after abby in the same run

i knew this remaster was coming and i was dying for a native 4k 60fps remaster and the 120hz 40-60 vrr mode like part 1 remaster will do the trick, its sooo smoth and so sharp.

cannot fucking wait to jump in after 2 years (beat the ps4 version twice back to back) and i would go as far to say that games like this should be 80 bucks, to price this the same as half the garbage coming out these days is wild. this game and RDR2 are so much above the rest of the industry they should have a special price just for what they do to push the medium forward and the amount of work that went into them. I fully expect GTA6 to be a 89 or 99 priced game

Last edited:

Edmund

Just booted up the game and performance mode is 1440p upscaled to 4k. So why did I read the Digital Foundry thread saying its only 1080p? Did DF make a mistake?

Anyway the rogue-like mode is freaking fun!

Played on hard mode and got my ass handed to me. 😂

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So who here is playing this for the first time since its 2020 release? Those are the opinions Im most curious about. It came out at a weird and wild time with us knee deep in the virus and quarantine so Im sure at least some of you have some stories linked and/or connections to it. That and it'll be fun to see opinions shift either more positively or negatively these 3+ whopping years later :messenger_beaming:

It's probably THE game that brings the most "COVID Memories" back for me. So for that it's meaningful in that weird way despite my issues with it (I still think its a masterpiece).

Last edited:
I bought the sequel day one and have been unable to face replaying it to this day.
I did enjoy sections of it at the time, and as a fan of the original was eager to see where it went.

But, it was far too long, poorly paced, and the story wasn't great in my opinion.

The brutal, visceral combat, however, is still as graphic as anything I've ever seen in a game.

Ultimately, I may, at some point, do the £10 upgrade thing just to try the new game mode, but I just can't see myself replaying the story.

tommib

I cant wait to see the Owen and Abby sex scene in the remaster. The graphical fidelity should be such that should be able to tell which hole Owen pops his meat mallot into.

rikSKwo.jpg
Can you share the onedrive folder where you have this one saved? Asking for a friend. Thanks.

saintjules

So who here is playing this for the first time since its 2020 release? Those are the opinions Im most curious about. It came out at a weird and wild time with us knee deep in the virus and quarantine so Im sure at least some of you have some stories linked and/or connections to it. That and it'll be fun to see opinions shift either more positively or negatively these 3+ whopping years later :messenger_beaming:

It's probably THE game that brings the most "COVID Memories" back for me. So for that it's meaningful in that weird way despite my issues with it (I still think its a masterpiece).

I started a second playthrough to what appears to be back in 2021 around the time the PS5 patch came out but didn't get that far. So technically I'm playing the game with a fresh take on it. I only ever completed it once fully in 2020. So I'm definitely excited to jump back in again here shortly.

Kerotan

I'm going to sleep but can anyone playing it tell me if they prefer the 4k 40fps mode or 4k VRR mode. Which looks smoother?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Love No Return.
The Lost Levels were amazing. I wish they were actually in the game.

Film grain is terrible. I can really see the difference between Native and 1440p with that shit disabled.

Bartski

Gold Member
No Return is crazy good. As someone used to playing on Grounded I thought it's gonna be cakewalk and I'm getting demolished. Dropping it to hard now just to unlock stuff and get some practice and maybe finally finish a run for once.

It blows my mind how good it looks. While I am aware playing glued to a giant ass C2 helps - in Fidelity Mode the jump in quality is, in fact, very comparable to TLOU ps3 -> TLOU:R ps4.

What's most important tho is how much the overall picture STABILITY, due to no noticable LOD swapping, contributes to the overall impression and sense of visual polish.
The first thing I did after install was to play the Searphite forrest encounter where the pop-in on the patched PS4 ver is just egregious. Now it's almost non-existent and I have to actively look for it to find a small patch of grass somewhere in the distance that does spawn in view. That's my pet peeve and it makes a HUGE difference. Something you will never see on Digital Foundry style pointless 400% texture zoom analysis.

Also worth mentioning - Lost Levels are just amazing. When announced I initially hated the idea. Additional bits of story left in alpha, brought back and playable in unfinished state? Like, why?
Things get cut for a reason and, as a creative myself, this sounded to me like getting an invite to sift through their bin. Here is why: they never aspire to be looked at as previously missing part of the actual game, weird story DLC of sorts, but are an interactive game dev documentary element in the "making of" section. Like an extension of the concept art gallery, which is also full of stuff that didn't make it into the game. They're a love letter to casual nerds like me who watch GDC talks for fun and now all I want is other games to do this.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Play this with no film grain...the jump from 1440p to 4k is honestly fucking amazing. wow...so many details that are now much more prominent.

This was worth the 10 bucks for sure...holy shit.

Yeah first thing I noticed was how intense the grain was. I’ll be sure to shut it off.

Playing in Fidelity so I can get the most out of the visuals and I think the 30fps feels fanfuckingtastic.

Still super early on. Had to crash out at 1am for work, but I’ll put a major dent in it tonight.

3bj4ajB.jpg
1eUfqzM.jpg
AuiFsPO.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah first thing I noticed was how intense the grain was. I’ll be sure to shut it off.

Playing in Fidelity so I can get the most out of the visuals and I think the 30fps feels fanfuckingtastic.

Still super early on. Had to crash out at 1am for work, but I’ll put a major dent in it tonight.

3bj4ajB.jpg
1eUfqzM.jpg
AuiFsPO.jpg
Doesn't your TV have 120hrz support? If so, play it at 40fps. It's even better and 4k anyway.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Auto pop?

Hopefully so I can just replay normally with no collectables guide!

Yeah it gives you the option to import your old saves right at the main menu. I did that and loaded in and almost immediately a few rando trophies popped and then suddenly the Platinum

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm going to sleep but can anyone playing it tell me if they prefer the 4k 40fps mode or 4k VRR mode. Which looks smoother?
I'm someone who prefers performance and fidelity mode 120hz VRR runs well. It seems to hit well above 40 all the time and noticeably gorgeous. Very impressed with it. I'm trying to decide what level motion blur and film grain to leave it on.

tommib

I'm someone who prefers performance and fidelity mode 120hz VRR runs well. It seems to hit well above 40 all the time and noticeably gorgeous. Very impressed with it. I'm trying to decide what level motion blur and film grain to leave it on.
Leave it at 5. ;)

tommib

I have one of those Sony X90 TVs...it has 120hrz but no decent VRR and its frustrating as hell. I'll never trust a brand that promises to add feats later through firmware updates. It does have VRR but local diming is turned off lol.
That’s a shame. I have an A90J and it works perfectly. No dimming. I actually noticed that VRR very slightly brightens up the tv.

King Dazzar

That’s a shame. I have an A90J and it works perfectly. No dimming. I actually noticed that VRR very slightly brightens up the tv.
Yeah hes on about the back light FALD doesnt work fully
yeah...i'd rather not having VRR than removing local dimming. Bad purchase i made for sure...
My Z9J was limited initially too, but thankfully the newer chipset allowed for another update which brought back the full array local dimming with VRR. I'm very lucky. They also manged to fix the 120hz so that its identical to 60hz now in terms of image quality. Unfortunately Sony were not only late to the party but also promised things they couldn't deliver on the X90. You definitely have my empathy.

Kerotan

Let me know what level of blur and grain you settle on.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Likely won’t complete a whole new playthrough but the first half, and the new mode, should be a nice bit of weekend fun.

Thaedolus

Fidelity on a VRR OLED is fucking bonkers, this looks better after almost 4 years than 90% of games out on the market, natively developed for current gen. Can you guys imagine what they are working on now which will take full advantage of PS5 Pro which is inevitable.
It still feels too juddery to me…the framerate counter on my C1 shows it outputting 119hz in fidelity, not sure why it doesn’t vary like unlocked performance does. Performance with VRR is so damn smooth

Played a round of No Return, well half of one because I failed, but it’s crazy that they didn’t include co-op and matchmaking for this, wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It still feels too juddery to me…the framerate counter on my C1 shows it outputting 119hz in fidelity, not sure why it doesn’t vary like unlocked performance does. Performance with VRR is so damn smooth
Turn off vrr in your system settings and keep your framerate to locked. GOW had the same issue. 40 fps locked feels way more smooth than 40 fps unlocked.

Top Bottom