• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lead composer for Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Manaka Kataoka (Animal Crossing)

Yes, the music in the BotW trailer was amazing. The trailer was also perfectly cut together to fit the music... knew when to underscore the beautiful scenery and when to really push epicness.

Some posts here make it sound like she's doing everything. We don't even know if she did the score for the Switch presentation trailer. lol

I mean, the main theme (from the first trailer) is good, but I'll reserve my full praises (perhaps with equal hyperbole like some posts here) until I learn what else she did.

Nibel said:
This will have the best music since OoT

OoT had the best ambient tunes. It'd be awesome if this game's dungeon atmosphere can match those of OoT.

The trailer songs are more beautiful and epic than past entries, though!

Dark 10x said:
Based on my experience, it has THE best sound design in any modern Zelda game. Incredible music and a great use of that music.

Agreed. Even the battle song is starting to grow on me.

m4st4

Clearly a talented individual, one that managed to sneak out tears from my eyes several times yesterday, bravo maestro.

BowieZ

Banned
You can tell when a composer or other creative individual just transcends when inspired by and passionate about a project.

Thoraxes

Interesting! New Leaf and her Smash 4 contributions were awesome, so I'm certain she'll do amazing.

I wonder how involved Kondo and Yokota are.
At the Japanese stage show before the 2ND concert performance, he said he works on 3D Mario and 3D Zelda games, so I'd assume this game will be no exception, especially given their ever growing music staff.

kami_sama

One of the best things of te trailer was the music, it pumped me so much I ended preordering the Switch lol
i hope the game maintains the quality all the time, but I know I'm asking as lot.

At the Japanese stage show before the 2ND concert performance, he said he works on 3D Mario and 3D Zelda games, so I'd assume this game will be no exception, especially given their ever growing music staff.

Which he? And thanks for reminding me; gotta look that up!

I've never listened to an Animal Crossing soundtrack but clearly she was wasted on that franchise. BotW seems to have such great music.

Huh? Animal Crossing has amazing music.

The music is absolutely top notch. They took what they did in Skyward Sword with the Symphony Orchestra soundtrack and turned it up to 11.

Ridley327

Wait I don't understand. She's a woman. This is such a manly game where Link has to ride a horse, climb structures and cliffs, and fight giant monsters. How can a female composer relate to these actions and themes?

Ooooooh, that not-so-stealthy Ueda shade.

Ivan 3414

I've never listened to an Animal Crossing soundtrack but clearly she was wasted on that franchise. BotW seems to have such great music.

That's a pretty silly way of looking at things

There's nothing inherently better about orchestral music and just because she spent time doing cutesy tunes doesn't mean she was wasting her talents. Both have their place.

Neff

I wasn't that keen on Skyward Sword's music for the most part (loved the game itself, though), so a switch of composers works for me.

And yeah, that trailer track is a straight up killer. One of the most exciting trailers I've ever seen for anything, ever, and the music is a huge part of that.

Wait I don't understand. She's a woman. This is such a manly game where Link has to ride a horse, climb structures and cliffs, and fight giant monsters. How can a female composer relate to these actions and themes?

You must have such a rigid sense of what genders can do. There are women who love horseback riding, and fighting giant monsters is something Samus Aran does regularly and she's a woman.

She did a great job so far with the music, as heard so far...clearly she was the right choice for the project

You must have such a rigid sense of what genders can do. There are women who love horseback riding, and fighting giant monsters is something Samus Aran does regularly and she's a woman.

She did a great job so far with the music, as heard so far...clearly she was the right choice for the project
Do you not understand sarcasm? LOL

rhandino

Banned
"[...] she was wasted on Animal Crossing"

Yeah, sure. Its not like people adore the soundtrack in AC or consider it a big part of the experience.

"[...] she was wasted on Animal Crossing"

Yeah, sure. Its not like people adore the soundtrack in AC or consider it a big part of the experience.

I'm gonna assume that when they say 'she was wasted' they meant that her name was never going to explode in Animal Crossing vs a major AAA mainstream system seller like Zelda.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Yeah! Next you're gonna tell me Castlevania, the most manly of series, had a female composer!

And then, hah, someone's gonna say Guile, the most manly videogame character ever, had his theme composed by a woman. Please, I am literally *dying*.

Datschge

I've never listened to an Animal Crossing soundtrack but clearly she was wasted on that franchise.
Are you trying to invoke the music variant of this screenshot? :)
7YrBHO7.jpg

Griss

New Leaf's soundtrack was special, and now that I know it's the same composer for BotW it makes sense. Those quiet 'out in the wild' piano moments from BotW are very reminiscent of AC:NL in parts.

Amazing job so far. Always nice to know Nintendo has new talent to carry the torch.

Alienous

The kind of soul-stirring music Manaka Kataoka is capable of composing, as evidenced by the BotW trailers, isn't as applicable in Animal Crossing. I'm glad she's working on a franchise that encompasses more of the emotional range she has the talent to express, and one that reaches a larger audience.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've gone through some of them like the Animal Crossing arrangement she did for Smash 4, but nothing I've heard so far would've prepared me for the job she's doing with Breath of the Wild.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/sound/movie.mp3

It lists "Adventuring" on the Zelda Spirit Tracks soundtrack, which, if it is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izbMZay_8Dk&list=PLD7893122E08F09E6&index=43
is imo one of the best video game tracks ever composed.

Are you trying to invoke the music variant of this screenshot? :)
7YrBHO7.jpg

Isn't it more like the opposite: I've never heard it, but I praise it anyways? I would understand this as "her talent was wasted on a shit game" - which I would actually agree to.

Blue-kun

Seeing Spirit Tracks mentioned reminded me of the Full Steam Ahead arrangement in Smash by Michiko Naruke. That... was the good stuff.

On topic though, yeah, I agree with mostly everyone here, the music in the trailer was absolutely amazing. I just hope they changed their opinion on the music for the game from what was shown/discussed over at E3. It seemed they wanted to go with a more 'ambience'-like approach, and the overworld had a lot of "hits a piano key every other second" parts that didn't really click with me.

Ultimadrago

I'm gonna assume that when they say 'she was wasted' they meant that her name was never going to explode in Animal Crossing vs a major AAA mainstream system seller like Zelda.

Yeah, their comment didn't seem malicious in any way. For sure though New Leaf has very fitting, unique music that helps make it what it is, as an above poster stated.

Seriously! It'll be like how Yoko Shimomura ruined such a manly bro trip in Final Fantasy 15!

GOAT OST /s

Top Bottom