• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lead composer for Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Manaka Kataoka (Animal Crossing)

Supast4r

Wait I don't understand. She's a woman. This is such a manly game where Link has to ride a horse, climb structures and cliffs, and fight giant monsters. How can a female composer relate to these actions and themes?
Not sure if serious gif

Isn't it more like the opposite: I've never heard it, but I praise it anyways? I would understand this as "her talent was wasted on a shit game" - which I would actually agree to.

This is an even worse implication, lol

New Leaf is 3DS's masterpiece.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spirit Tracks had a fantastic soundtrack so that bodes well.

From the absolutely stellar trailer compositions, to the general sound design I've picked up on through demo video and my own hands on with headphones, this woman is a genius.

extremely talented

d+pad

I've never listened to an Animal Crossing soundtrack but clearly she was wasted on that franchise. BotW seems to have such great music.

Uh, the music in the Animal Crossing titles is magnificent. Plus, they're great games. So, I definitely wouldn't say her talents were "wasted" on that franchise...

Datschge

Isn't it more like the opposite: I've never heard it, but I praise it anyways? I would understand this as "her talent was wasted on a shit game" - which I would actually agree to.
Complains on a board about a game he hasn't played for not deserving the music he hasn't heard.

Datschge

Do we know for sure she's the lead composer, or just that she did that first theme?
Technically she is only confirmed to be the composer of the main theme as that was played at the The Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary concert and credited to her.

Esque7

Nee Leaf had amazing composition. Eagerly awaiting this. Who did Skyward Sword? There were a few standout songs from there as well.

Majmun

Wait I don't understand. She's a woman. This is such a manly game where Link has to ride a horse, climb structures and cliffs, and fight giant monsters. How can a female composer relate to these actions and themes?

Her first name has "man" written in it. So it's OK

Forkball

I thought Skyward Sword had one of the best Zelda OSTs, so BotW does have quite a high bar to clear. But if BotW's OST is half as good as New Leaf's, it will be amazing. Although New Leaf's OST was fairly minimalist in its composition, it was evocative and atmospheric.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Calling New Leaf a shit game while donning a Yoshi avatar smh
What does this have to do with Yoshi? Animal Crossing is busy-work: The game. I am not aware of any Yoshi game that is devoid of any challenge (OK, Yoshi's Story at least comes close to that part) and just a collection of menial tasks. And if I missed some or there ever is one, you will see me complaining like crazy.

watershed

Banned
The trailer music has been amazing so far and the small touches of music in-game sounds interesting. I like the gentle music that plays around the stables.

messiaen

Samey same sounding stuff, really wish we'd move on from this neo-classicalism nonsense. Good for her though, nice that Nintendo handed a big project to a newer composer.

Charamiwa

Banned
Samey same sounding stuff, really wish we'd move on from this neo-classicalism nonsense. Good for her though, nice that Nintendo handed a big project to a newer composer.

Have you heard some of the battle themes? It's really far from neo classicalism nonsense.

Nice. I absolutely adored the music in the trailer. It enhanced the trailer the most for me, but it fit everything shown so well.

Congrats to her!

Oh man. I've been loving Yokota's output, Skyward Sword has one of my favorite videogame soundtracks out there, but I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out.

What does this have to do with Yoshi? Animal Crossing is busy-work: The game. I am not aware of any Yoshi game that is devoid of any challenge (OK, Yoshi's Story at least comes close to that part) and just a collection of menial tasks. And if I missed some or there ever is one, you will see me complaining like crazy.

Well, if I was going to call any moderately big series of 2d Nintendo platformers a series of menial tasks, the one that pads it out by filling the levels full of generic collectables that you need to 100% the game might be a starting point...

You can frame any game as just busywork if you look at it from the right angle. They didn't sell 10m+ copies of New leaf by accident though. The gameplay might not be for you, but it does what it set out to do better than most any other life sim on the market, and it paid off.

wmlk

OK so, anyone wanna point me to any time where there's any kind of bombastic music played in the hours of gameplay that we've gotten so far? The music in the latest trailer is likely just promo/trailer music like we've heard for Twilight Princess before (one of the tracks was reused for the first Skyward Sword trailer).

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Not a fan of any of the ambient pieces so far, but I like that they are trying something different. If she's the one who composed the trailer pieces, then the game's in good hands.

Top Bottom