• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gonna write out my likes from each game.

ME1 has my favourite:

- Dialogue system
- Soundtrack
- Story
- Villain
- Squad (I'm serious)
- Aesthetics
- Citadel

ME2:

- A few of my favourite characters (Mordin, Legion and Tali)
- Some really neat missions
- One of the best DLCs in Lair of the Shadow Broker (which is funny because I can't stand Liara)
- The best EDI
- The best Joker

ME3:

- The best gunplay
- The best inventory and upgrade system
- The best levelling system
- The best usage of powers
- Really fun multiplayer with free DLC packs
- Citadel DLC

Man I feel like replaying the trilogy but the fact that skip dialog is also select dialog is my fatal flaw. :/

pls fix in a trilogy remaster

Patryn

Just gonna write out my likes from each game.

ME1 has my favourite:

- Dialogue system
- Soundtrack
- Story
- Villain
- Squad (I'm serious)
- Aesthetics
- Citadel

ME2:

- A few of my favourite characters (Mordin, Legion and Tali)
- Some really neat missions
- One of the best DLCs in Lair of the Shadow Broker (which is funny because I can't stand Liara)
- The best EDI
- The best Joker

ME3:

- The best gunplay
- The best inventory and upgrade system
- The best levelling system
- The best usage of powers
- Really fun multiplayer with free DLC packs
- Citadel DLC

I more or less agree with everything here. Maybe not squad in ME1 (I think overall ME3 has my favorite squad), and I'd add in best exploration for ME1, but everything else looks solid.

Definite diehard here, well over 300 hours across all titles, and ME3 is hands down the best in the series.

ME1:
-Best story
-Strongest villain
-Soundtrack

ME2:
-Best character writing
-Best finale

ME3:
-Literally everything else

Inventory, leveling, gameplay loop (powers AND guns), environments, visuals. It even arguably has a better overall dialogue system; despite the autodialogue being a very real irritation and limitation, decoupling the persuade options entirely from Paragon and Renegade opens up huge opportunities for real roleplaying. In ME2 you were basically forced to choose between playing a role and playing optimally; either you go all-in on Paragon and Renegade or you settle for a lesser ending. In ME1, persuade is tied to the boring ass leveling system, and also the paragon renegade system. ME3, you can go for whatever you feel works best, backed up by basic completion. Boom. I can sock that Quarian shitheel who tried to blow up the ship I was on because I wasn't worried about getting screwed over later down the line because I wasn't a perfect little Shepard.

Meanwhile, the multiplayer was an unexpected joy, and each of the story DLCs brought something new and cool to the table, even if in the case of Omega it was just some funass combat puzzles. Citadel remains my single favorite piece of DLC ever, it's just... so. Damn. Good.

Ralemont

not me
As a Mass Effect fan I decided to replay the trilogy (for like the 10th time) and I have to say my opinion has changed a bit. Even though ME3 has a disappointing ending (which isn't that bad but not great either) and lacklustre side content, it is the best for me and I feel ME2 being the weakest game of them all. There was so much potential to ME2 but the game has aged so badly in everything. Graphics are laughable, animations even worse, hub worlds are so disappointing and I find it so hard to care about the characters now when they're so static and dull in terms of emotions. Sure ME1 had some of these issues but I feel that the game was much better written and had a better atmosphere. Something about ME2 makes it feel and look like a generic sci fi TPS. It's because of ME1 that I care about the story at this point because ME2 falls flat. The game in general feels rushed, even the narrative of some of the quests feels like they had to finish it fast so they could proceed onto the next mission and the missions themselves look so boring due to the awful way they created these environments, from awful textures to geometry. Gameplay is an improvement over ME1 but doesn't compare to the almost flawless and satisfying fast paced gameplay of ME3. Playing ME3 after ME2 directly makes me appreciate the jump in quality Bioware put into the environments which helps me get immersed into the story even more. I can't stop playing ME3, every level looks amazing to see and play. I don't remember ME2 being so flat and boring, I don't know why I never felt this before but I do now and unfortunately I see why EA refuses to remaster the trilogy, because they would need a shit ton of work to be appreciated by today's standards. Only hardcore fans would enjoy ME2 as it is. Due to the better world building of ME3, it makes me appreciate and care about the story and its characters more than in ME2. I don't see myself replaying ME2 ever again but I'll be replaying ME1 and ME3 over and over again as I adore the mystery and atmosphere of the first one and the addicting gameplay and visuals of ME3. ME2 has neither imo.

Hmmm...can't really agree that ME2's characters are static and dull. Agree with a lot of the ME3 praise, though. The environments in ME3 were stellar. I remember just sitting and watching the Reapers wrecking shit on Palaven's moon for awhile.
maxresdefault.jpg

diaspora

Definite diehard here, well over 300 hours across all titles, and ME3 is hands down the best in the series.

ME1:
-Best story
-Strongest villain
-Soundtrack

ME2:
-Best character writing
-Best finale

ME3:

Inventory, leveling, gameplay loop (powers AND guns), environments, visuals. It even arguably has a better overall dialogue system; despite the autodialogue being a very real irritation and limitation, decoupling the persuade options entirely from Paragon and Renegade opens up huge opportunities for real roleplaying. In ME2 you were basically forced to choose between playing a role and playing optimally; either you go all-in on Paragon and Renegade or you settle for a lesser ending. In ME1, persuade is tied to the boring ass leveling system, and also the paragon renegade system. ME3, you can go for whatever you feel works best, backed up by basic completion. Boom. I can sock that Quarian shitheel who tried to blow up the ship I was on because I wasn't worried about getting screwed over later down the line because I wasn't a perfect little Shepard.

Meanwhile, the multiplayer was an unexpected joy, and each of the story DLCs brought something new and cool to the table, even if in the case of Omega it was just some funass combat puzzles. Citadel remains my single favorite piece of DLC ever, it's just... so. Damn. Good.
Yes, to everything.

DOWN

Banned
I'm gonna have to bust out the 360 because never played any ME3 dlc and really need a trilogy replay + some ME3 multiplayer

DOWN

Banned
As I think back, am I really off in thinking that ME2 is mostly spent getting the squad and convincing them to like you? Like I think that's the majority of that game?

All three games are great but I think 2 falls shortest. It's awkwardly obvious in its attempt at making a once subtle and elegant mood-sci-fi into a barcrawling space wild bunch in too many places. Every place they go is either a dump or is overtly criminal. Shepard's Paragon moments are often tied to the neutral option, while the team clearly had loads of time put into giving him the bad cop hostile options.

No surprise they said they needed to bring the tone back toward ME1 for ME3 and went back to mostly ME1 crew instead of ME2 squad, having noted they lost some of the sleek and optimisic outlooks that defined much of the ME universe's future vision before ME2 threw the baby out with the bath water.

And of course BioWare and now Shinobi confirm the new entry is following in the footsteps of concepts from ME1.

As I think back, am I really off in thinking that ME2 is mostly spent getting the squad and convincing them to like you? Like I think that's the majority of that game?

All three games are great but I think 2 falls shortest. It's awkwardly obvious in its attempt at making a once subtle and elegant mood-sci-fi into a barcrawling space wild bunch in too many places. Every place they go is either a dump or is overtly criminal.

No surprise they said they needed to bring the tone back toward ME1 for ME3 and went back to mostly ME1 crew instead of ME2 squad, having noted they lost some of the sleek and optimisic outlooks that defined much of the ME universe's future vision before ME2 threw the baby out with the bath water.

It was, yeah. Recruiting your squaddies and making them loyal took up the majority of what I'd think of as the "narrative space." There were other side missions, exploration, and the main plot, but the meat of the game was in getting your squad together.

ME1:
-Best story
-Strongest villain
-Soundtrack

ME2:
-Best character writing
-Best finale

ME3:

ME2 also has the best sidequests, since they integrated the companion sidequests (an RPG staple) into the core structure of the game and made it very desirable to do them all. They were given a lot more attention because of this. There are still no budget missions in the form of N7 quests of course.

I'd give it the nod for best characters in general, not just best writing, its ensemble cast is the strongest in the series and its quite unfortunate they decided to make them all killable because it kind of fucked their ability to follow up on most of it.

ME2 also has the best sidequests, since they integrated the companion sidequests (an RPG staple) into the core structure of the game and made it very desirable to do them all. They were given a lot more attention because of this. There are still no budget missions in the form of N7 quests of course.

I'd give it the nod for best characters in general, not just best writing, its ensemble cast is the strongest in the series and its quite unfortunate they decided to make them all killable because it kind of fucked their ability to follow up on most of it.

Mmm... I really liked the character-centric sidequests, but the other ones were kinda weak, generally. I'm actually kind of blanking on why I feel so, though, lol. Gonna do a full series playthrough as soon as they all get added to X1 BC.

By "character writing," I didn't really just mean dialogue, but stuff like character arcs and all the other stuff that makes them up other than maybe visual design (love Jack, hate her outfits). I could get behind giving them the overall win on that front, though. Good call on the problems introduced by making them killable; I would've LOVED to have Jack back on the squad, seeing her growth, but nooooo. Bah.

Patryn

I still feel bad for all the huge ME2 fans who were expecting to have all their favorites as squad members in ME3. I tried warning them, but a bunch didn't listen.

DOWN

Banned
I still feel bad for all the huge ME2 fans who were expecting to have all their favorites as squad members in ME3. I tried warning them, but a bunch didn't listen.
How did you predict that the ME2 characters weren't coming back?

I predicted that they would bring back the most popular 2 or 3 then have the other 3-4 squad members be ones that would be guaranteed to be alive.

Turns out the most popular 2 or 3 was just Tali and Garrus and none of the new additions

:(

Ralemont

not me
The proper ME3 squad:

Tali
Garrus
Vega (yes, Vega)
Javik
Miranda
Liara

Balanced gameplay-wise with the bonus of no EDI-bot!

That was true of every squad and player character including ME1 favs so no.

Except Liara

Personally, I started the serieswith ME2 and still felt like the narrative treated the ME1 squad as "more important" characters to the overall narrative. ME1 characters who didn't return to your squad were built into the larger story bits, such as the VS's vendetta against Cerberus, Liara taking over as Shadow Broker, or Wrex rebuilding the krogan (and considering the genophage arc, this was sure to play a big role in ME). As much as I like a lot of the ME2 squad, they were entirely disposable. Miranda I see as the exception because of her Cerberus ties. I guess you could say the same for Jacob but it's Jacob.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How did you predict that the ME2 characters weren't coming back?

Because it's not reasonable to expect a double digit sized supporting cast all of which have potential perma-death states to be integrated into a sequel with the same degree of attention to content depth as ME2 received. The production time, resources, and funding just aren't there.

I get that people were disappointed, but the writing was on the wall the moment they made the entire supporting cast killable.

diaspora

I'm playing through Priority Palavan now, so I'll probably get more. The downside is the lower resolution textures of the custom Vanguard mod armor which isn't taken into consideration by ALOT.

Edit: the Enhanced Galaxy Map mod is fucking amazing. Highly recommended for anyone else playing ME3.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm gonna have to bust out the 360 because never played any ME3 dlc and really need a trilogy replay + some ME3 multiplayer

I know if I do this, by my own twisted version of Murphy's law, at E3 a remaster will be announced and I will regret said playthrough.

If I don't do this, no remaster will be announced and I will regret not doing said playthrough.

#firstworldmasseffectproblems

Galava

I know if I do this, by my own twisted version of Murphy's law, at E3 a remaster will be announced and I will regret said playthrough.

If I don't do this, no remaster will be announced and I will regret not doing said playthrough.

Exactly my problem too. Also is happening to me with final fantasy XII. Don't know if play now or wait until remaster/HD.

prag16

Banned

Easy solution: Do the playthrough, and then on the (very) off chance a remaster is forthcoming, just do another playthrough after it drops. Easy.

DOWN

Banned
E3 is in like 3 weeks so I'll just wait and die. I don't expect a remaster but the fact that BioShock trilogy is on the way increases the super unlikely but still there possibility. Maybe I'll do some ME3 multiplayer.
Because it's not reasonable to expect a double digit sized supporting cast all of which have potential perma-death states to be integrated into a sequel with the same degree of attention to content depth as ME2 received. The production time, resources, and funding just aren't there.

I get that people were disappointed, but the writing was on the wall the moment they made the entire supporting cast killable.
I was facetiously asking on the tails of having criticised the ME2 characters in comparison to the ME1/ME3 squads. That said, yes it's not so unreasonable from a technical standpoint that they were limited in bringing back the ME2 characters.

kosmologi

Hmmm...can't really agree that ME2's characters are static and dull. Agree with a lot of the ME3 praise, though. The environments in ME3 were stellar. I remember just sitting and watching the Reapers wrecking shit on Palaven's moon for awhile.

The backdrops and skyboxes were stellar indeed, but the environments themselves were a bit lackluster. Colours were dull and there were too many shades of brown and grey (Palaven, Tuchanka, Rannoch, London...). I get that many events take place on war zones, but why does a scifi warzone have to look like the Middle East or Detroit? Mass Effect 2 had much more colour in many environments, and was much more pleasing to look at.

Ralemont

not me
The backdrops and skyboxes were stellar indeed, but the environments themselves were a bit lackluster. Colours were dull and there were too many shades of brown and grey (Palaven, Tuchanka, Rannoch, London...). I get that many events take place on war zones, but why does a scifi warzone have to look like the Middle East or Detroit? Mass Effect 2 had much more colour in many environments, and was much more pleasing to look at.

Eh, it didn't really bother me. To change that, they'd have to have either changed the lore way back in ME1 or changed what arcs were going to be important to the series. I guess they could have made London more water-based in nature but it still would have looked depressing. Personally I think it contributed to the apocalyptic tone of the game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I get that people were disappointed, but the writing was on the wall the moment they made the entire supporting cast killable.[

Yep, while the suicide mission made for a better ME2, it had a negative effect on ME3.

A good short term decision and a bad one long term.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Hey, the first two Arkham games just got an official remaster AND (get this) were also ported to the UE4 (originals were UE3).

But....EA can't be bothered to do such a thing for Mass Effect.

SliChillax

When I say static and dull I mean from a graphics and animations perspective. Some of the dialogue feels so weird because the characters show no emotion and it makes it hard to get immersed into the moment when the whole scene looks funny due to bad animations.

diaspora

christ, shutting down the EDI/Joker relationship is such a dick move >.>

edit: I'm in the midst of ME3 (just did Palaven), anyone have any requests for shots?

Daemul

PI can see the light at the end of the tunnel lads, I'm currently on Ilos and almost finished my full and final run of ME1, but holy shit this fucking game, its been torture. I made a huge mistake not uploading my original saves to the cloud when I still had my 360.

Performance wise the game is improved significantly by playing on XBO, from what I could tell the amount of texture pop in is drastically reduced and the tearing is essentially eliminated, but nothing can save the janky Mako controls, terrible loot system and godawful combat. Jesus Christ that combat, lord have mercy. No matter what happens I'm never playing this game again, not even if all my saves get corrupted, I'll settle for the default story instead.

Yep, while the suicide mission made for a better ME2, it had a negative effect on ME3.

A good short term decision and a bad one long term.

Yep, even Walters admited that the Suicide Mission was a mistake. It's something that would be fine in the final game of a trilogy but certainly not the middle.

EDIT: Jesus, the ads at the bottom of the page on GAF mobile are huge.

diaspora

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel lads, I'm currently on Ilos and almost finished my full and final run of ME1, but holy shit this fucking game, its been torture. I made a huge mistake not uploading my original saves to the cloud when I still had my 360.

Performance wise the game is improved significantly by playing on XBO, from what I could tell the amount of texture pop in is drastically reduced and the tearing is essentially eliminated, but nothing can save the janky Mako controls, terrible loot system and godawful combat. Jesus Christ that combat, lord have mercy. No matter what happens I'm never playing this game again, not even if all my saves get corrupted, I'll settle for the default story instead.
ME2 let's you simulate most ME1 choices doesn't it? Or at least isn't it possible to use a PC save?

Daemul

ME2 let's you simulate most ME1 choices doesn't it? Or at least isn't it possible to use a PC save?

Yeah the Genesis comic allows you to select major story events. I had actually forgotten that the comic existed until you asked that question, I own the comic but I've never actually used it due to how it only gives you the barebones choices. You could also download other peoples save files that they uploaded to masseffectsaves and then use them as your own, or if you wanted to you could just used Gibbed to create your own save with all the choices you wanted.

When I was still on the 360 I used Gibbed a lot to add money and add resources so that I wouldn't need to waste my time being broke and mining planets in ME2. I'm not sure if Gibbed works with XBO, I hope it does, because as much as I like ME2 I am NOT looking forward to actually having to mine planets again, its been years since I've had to do that.

PI can see the light at the end of the tunnel lads, I'm currently on Ilos and almost finished my full and final run of ME1, but holy shit this fucking game, its been torture. I made a huge mistake not uploading my original saves to the cloud when I still had my 360.

Yep, even Walters admited that the Suicide Mission was a mistake. It's something that would be fine in the final game of a trilogy but certainly not the middle.

EDIT: Jesus, the ads at the bottom of the page on GAF mobile are huge.

Cheers, bro. Finally at the end of the long dark woods and about to get to the Good Bits.

Also, the thing that bugs me about the mobile ads are that they almost look like they're a part of the post above them :/

You need DLC for that.

diaspora

Cheers, bro. Finally at the end of the long dark woods and about to get to the Good Bits.

Also, the thing that bugs me about the mobile ads are that they almost look like they're a part of the post above them :/

You need DLC for that.
Yeah, this is part of why using a Keep-type system might be better moving forward.

Easy to avoid at least, just tell them it's a stupid idea lol.

but the fact it is even thrown in as an option yo.

i remember seeing a whole bunch of dislikes when the youtube video of killing mordin was up too. everybody was commenting like "omg it's so cruel anyone that kills mordin like this is an asshole"

but the thing is, bioware wrote for that to be a renegade option...if you're gonna blame someone, blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom