• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The No Holds Barred Castle Crashers Official Thread of Broken Netcode and Crash Bugs

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the patch still isn't out? Every time I see this thread bumped, I get excited. I just want to be able to play this game with more than one other person.

Edwood

Time for a petition or class action lawsuit to get our momney back, or at least a refund of 800 M$ points. This game is not remotely worth 1200 M$ points for the shit netcode. I really should've read this thread before buying it. I had no idea that Crashers in the title meant the games would keep crashing.

ColR100

What the hell is seriously going on with this. Piss take......that's what.

Hi everyone!

The title update is going wonderfully. Soon wonder will be achieved!!!! You can quote me on that! SOON, WONDER WILL BE ACHIEVED. Okay so I’m not really sure exactly what the current status is but I hear the programmers, the testers, and Emil are very happy with the results. This makes me pleased. I draw! - 25th September

Two weeks nearly from that post and we still don't have the rest of the game we paid for?

Sort it out.

jibblypop

Banned
I would be way less angry if this game wasn't sold with online multiplayer as one of the top features.
If the bug was something minor that is one thing but it's the main reason a lot of people bought it! That is the kind of thing you have to fix way faster than a normal update would take.

MMaRsu

Banned
Like I said earlier, never buying anything again from this company on day one. This shit should have been playtested. This is a huge bug and I'm probably not going to play the game anymore now. Too many good games on the horizon.

Releasing the DLC for free to anyone who bought the game before the patch would go a long way as a good will gesture, but I'm guessing they would never do that.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Gonna have to agree. They really fucked up as far as I'm concerned, and still no damn patch.

I agree as well and will follow through with what I say. Any game for xbla that has a huge multiplayer component will never be purchased day one for me anymore. I have to now check the forums after the game comes and see all the suckers who buy every game day one to see if the online portion of the game is working correctly.

Cocopjojo said:
Wow, the patch still isn't out? Every time I see this thread bumped, I get excited. I just want to be able to play this game with more than one other person.

Same here, I'm keeping an eye out because I really only want the game for the multi.

Shame really.

jibblypop

Banned
Castle Crashers Blog said:
Blog Post from TGS
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:13:31 +0000

With mixed feelings we departed the States last week while Josh, Mike, Emil and Kelly stayed behind to wrap up the title update. We arrived in Tokyo for TGS on Tuesday and the show ends today. When we get back Dan promises to make an update showing all the neat stuff Japanese fans have brought by the booth and given to us.

Over the last five weeks we’ve knocked out the issues with CC and are now verifying the changes to be sure they work as intended. Work is rapidly coming to an end for us and we are prepping the build to be handed off to Microsoft for their test pass and certification. This phase involves total regression testing and can take a few weeks, at which point if any issues are brought up, the process starts anew. We are aware that many of you are unhappy about the wait, but this is how the process works to ensure you get a reliable update. We aren’t allowed to fix and upload one change at a time; all known issues must be addressed with the Title Update.

Thank you to everyone who has pointed out problems with the game, and thank you for your patience and support!

tom, dan and john

Rats. Sounds like it will be another month at least until the update is in our hands. :(

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Welp, I'm never playing this game again. By the time the update comes out I'll likely have gotten a new 360 and with little intention of redownloading this game.

legend166 said:
The fact they're going to TGS instead of fixing their damn game is pretty annoying.

Yet they state that there are people staying behind to finish up the update.

Anyways, it is a shame that the game is really broken. Not sure how it passed cert actually, and I hope MS takes a look at their process to catch bugs like these.

Xevren

g35twinturbo said:
Sure wish I could get my money back for a broken ass game I received.

Ditto, I really like the game but having to restart after my data is cleared or not even being able to play with friends over live is nuts. If anything it showed me not to buy anything immediately when it comes up over live =/

RedAssedApe

Banned
Beat the game with only two players. Anything higher than that would always crash. Pretty retarded that there still isn't a patch out, considering I convinced three other friends to buy the game so that we could play 4 player co-op.

The sad part is that this is a GREAT game. The bugs that used to only affect PC games has unfortunately crept onto consoles this generation.

g35twinturbo said:
Sure wish I could get my money back for a broken ass game I received.

This. I'm seriously shocked at how they've handled this. There's no excuse for bugs like these to slip through testing. Did they even TEST this online?! The patch won't be released for A MONTH?! Possibly more?!

UNACCEPTABLE.

I agree with the above posters; I'm never buying anything from these guys again until I've checked around on the net to see if their game actually WORKS.

The whole situation is ridiculous. I was really looking forward to playing this coop with my cousin over Live, but it's a chore and a frustrating experince to even attempt such a thing. We've both pretty much lost interest now, and that's a damn shame.

Give us some god damned compensation.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, how do we get our money back? Not only was this game broken, but it was really fucking expensive for an XBL game. I can see that the game itself was pretty good, but when the USP doesn't even work for me I start to feel utterly shortchanged.

The Behemoth's website should be empty, apart from a patch countdown timer and an apology. No, I don't want to know where you're off to with my fucking money that I paid for a broken product that you can't fix. I don't want to see cute little statues of your broken game. I DO NOT want to hear about DLC for your broken game, no fucking way. Summer of XBL? I'd settle for an autumn with CC...

MMaRsu

Banned
FoxHimself said:
This. I'm seriously shocked at how they've handled this. There's no excuse for bugs like these to slip through testing. Did they even TEST this online?! The patch won't be released for A MONTH?! Possibly more?!

UNACCEPTABLE.

I agree with the above posters; I'm never buying anything from these guys again until I've checked around on the net to see if their game actually WORKS.

The whole situation is ridiculous. I was really looking forward to playing this coop with my cousin over Live, but it's a chore and a frustrating experince to even attempt such a thing. We've both pretty much lost interest now, and that's a damn shame.

THIS.

I wouldn't call this game broken if people (including myself) actually got to play the game online, with 3 other players to boot. I personally didn't experience anything that inexplicably booted us or prevented us from even connecting to one another, and none of us lost our weapons / pets / save files. We did encounter a few bugs however, but those were mostly gameplay related.

Note: I did ask all of my co-op buddies beforehand how their good Internet connection was and especially whether they had an Open NAT, since I did read that the game's pretty picky when it comes to NAT conditions. I suggest you all do the same (as in: making sure everyone has an Open NAT) before calling the game completely unplayable over Xbox Live.

Still a pity this whole situation occurred though, and that Microsoft is seemingly stalling the patch so long thanks to their "strict" certification process.

FoxHimself said:

I seriously doubt there will be any sort of compensation. The BEST case scenario would be The Behemoth releasing free DLC for the game when they get around to DLC. But I could see that being quite far off. And by then no one will care.

I checked the rules for the forum policy of linking to blogs and didn't see anything related to it so I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but I just finished up a rather long post in mine about the whole situation, here's an excerpt:
I understand that fixing these types of things takes time, but as a consumer I feel frustrated with the way The Behemoth as handled the whole thing. If the title wasn't ready, it should have been delayed. No one likes to hear about a long in development game being pushed back even further, but releasing a game that is broken straight out of the gate is even more inexcusable. Attending trade shows while promoting a still broken piece of software and posting pictures of action figures makes it appear as if a prompt fix isn't a priority over selling more copies. I don't think any developer wants to release a product that doesn't perform up to it's standards, but they way they've handled the issue leaves a lot to be desired. And I think it's safe to point a finger of blame at Microsoft as well. If Halo 3 had come out with broken net code, I guarantee you would have seen a patch released within days. Take Bully:Scholarship Edition for an example; released with a glitch making it prone to freezing and crashing on some 360's, a patch was released a mere 10 days later correcting the problem. Why didn't the usual "few weeks" testing rule apply in that case? Doesn't Microsoft have the authority to fast track one or more fixes? On top of all this, those gamers who are dissatisfied can't even get a refund or any type of reimbursement as it's against Microsoft policy to issue refunds on XBLA titles.
If you're interested in reading more, the full post is here.

ToyMachine228 said:
I seriously doubt there will be any sort of compensation. The BEST case scenario would be The Behemoth releasing free DLC for the game when they get around to DLC. But I could see that being quite far off. And by then no one will care.

Giant Bomb asked them about free dlc recently and they said the current plans aren't for the dlc to be free. Personally I've enough friends locally where I'm completely happy with my purchase. I've beaten the game several times over and it's one of my favorite brawlers of all time. But seeing as how it was advertised as four player co-op online from the get go and to have it be so borked I can definetly see the frustration.

If no free dlc, then they should at least do two things imo:
UNLOCK ALL CHARACTERS. Or at least have a cheat out to do so. It's such a pain in the ass to have to go back to do all that.
if not, then at least put a little asterix next to level once you've beaten it with a character or something to remind me I've beaten that level with a certain character. I played the game over twice with the red dude cause I had no idea which level I'd not beaten.

poweld

So I attempted to get a refund through Microsoft this past week for CC. Unfortunately, after carefully explaining that what I purchased (an online capable beat-em-up) was fundamentally flawed, they got back to me today and let me know that I should rejoice, as a patch is on its way this Fall.

Seriously? The woman who called me to let me know clearly expected me to be happy. I am happy they are fixing it, but does Microsoft not understand that most games kind of... fizzle away? I wanted to play this day 1 (when I bought it) with two of my friends across the country (who I also convinced to get it for the same reason).

Instead, we've all moved on to other things, and none of us play the thing. It's pretty outrageous that this is to be considered "OK". Patching a bug is one thing, but to take this long fixing what I consider to be the main selling point of the game? Ugh.

First purchase from The Behemoth. Not surprisingly, also the last.

poweld

BobFromPikeCreek said:
GAF sure knows how to overreact.

How is expecting a refund for a broken product overreacting? Granted, I do not have enough time to deal with pushing them any more, but if this were a bigger investment, I'd definitely take it further.

I don't hate the guys at The Behemoth. I'm sure they're great guys. But do they deserve my money for their faulty product? No, no they don't.

As was said before, they should have just pushed back the release date- this was a glaring problem (honestly, I do not know how it got past QA).

pCeSlAyEr

so I was lvl20 or so and took my profile via mem card over to a friends to play and when we started to play I was a lvl1 again. I thought no big deal different 360 and continued to play levelling up to lvl15. When I got back home and loaded up my profile I was back to lvl1.

what the shit hell :( :(

Kibs

MicVlaD said:
I wouldn't call this game broken if people (including myself) actually got to play the game online, with 3 other players to boot. I personally didn't experience anything that inexplicably booted us or prevented us from even connecting to one another, and none of us lost our weapons / pets / save files. We did encounter a few bugs however, but those were mostly gameplay related.

Note: I did ask all of my co-op buddies beforehand how their good Internet connection was and especially whether they had an Open NAT, since I did read that the game's pretty picky when it comes to NAT conditions. I suggest you all do the same (as in: making sure everyone has an Open NAT) before calling the game completely unplayable over Xbox Live.

Still a pity this whole situation occurred though, and that Microsoft is seemingly stalling the patch so long thanks to their "strict" certification process.
Guess you forgot about when me, you and a certain bald guy tried to play together and had constant disconnects :p

The game reliably deletes my data every time I play. Behemoth never helped me, but I did find a way to reload the data from some post on Giant Bomb.

Obviously trolling around internet forums should not be a prerequisite for being able to play a game. They didn't sell what was advertised, so asking for some compensation is not unreasonable.

Wurm

Banned
Welp my Xbox live subscription has run out, and I have no intention of paying to play online anymore. So looks like the pipe-dream of playing Castle Crashers online with mates has come to a close!

neonglow

PedroLumpy said:
The game reliably deletes my data every time I play. Behemoth never helped me, but I did find a way to reload the data from some post on Giant Bomb.

Obviously trolling around internet forums should not be a prerequisite for being able to play a game. They didn't sell what was advertised, so asking for some compensation is not unreasonable.

Can you detail those steps to reload the data? I haven't been playing cause the game would delete my save everytime.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
I'm gonna go ahead and throw a log into this fire too. Much lost respect for The Behemoth. It's not like I don't believe that they're working on it, I'm sure they are. But I think the bigger thing is, the magic is gone. All the hard work they spent working on this fantastic, charming, incredible game (I would only know from my massive 3 hour session I spent with it on the first weekend it dropped) has gone down the drain, along with their reputation.

I guess the sad part is, I'm still down to play it, but most of my friends have already moved on. Perhaps when this fix is finally out, gaf can put together a "no child left behind" for CC. Give everyone who got jack moved out of playing it right the first time a chance to have the proper fun with it.

robot

pCeSlAyEr said:
so I was lvl20 or so and took my profile via mem card over to a friends to play and when we started to play I was a lvl1 again. I thought no big deal different 360 and continued to play levelling up to lvl15. When I got back home and loaded up my profile I was back to lvl1.

what the shit hell :( :(

try starting a game, then at the character select screen exit back to the title screen, log off your profile, then back on, then back to character select screen. that only seems to work on my game now.

Sanjuro

I never had a problem with the game. Beaten with multiple characters/single player/multiplayer/online multiplayer several times..

neonglow said:
Can you detail those steps to reload the data? I haven't been playing cause the game would delete my save everytime.

Sure thing, forgive my excessive detail just in case you know?

1. DO NOT START A LOCAL GAME, check your player stats and make sure your data is gone (Only Knights unlocked and every character should be level 1)

2. Once you confirmed your data is gone, start a standard (no arena/quaff) Xboxlive match. All the normal options should be fine. 4 players, secret characters, etc. all the defaults should be good.

3. Once you have started the match, toggle yourself ready, and then exit out back to the main menu.

4. Check your stats, everything should be restored. NOW you may start a Local game, assuming your data is back.

N.B.

Starting a Local game BEFORE these steps are taken will cause your data to be permanently lost. Get in the habit of going to your player stats first thing when starting up the game.

If you have some questions as you go, feel free to ask again, I might have forgotten something. My Xbox isn't right next to me so this is from memory.

pCeSlAyEr said:
thanks guys, but im afraid that info came too late :(

atleast I know if it happens again.

There's a trick to getting some quick exp if you're curious......

(questionable game mechanic exploitation to follow)

It involves using the boomerang to kill the catfish. Throw just before it rises out of the water at the start and you can get the boomerang stuck behind him it it'll eventually kill him for massive exp's. Youtube search it, that'll show you better than I can explain.

Oh and you get the boomerang by taking the cardinal to the thieves forest. Hidden early on by the crapping owl I think.

poweld said:
Seriously? The woman who called me to let me know clearly expected me to be happy. I am happy they are fixing it, but does Microsoft not understand that most games kind of... fizzle away? I wanted to play this day 1 (when I bought it) with two of my friends across the country (who I also convinced to get it for the same reason).

Instead, we've all moved on to other things, and none of us play the thing. It's pretty outrageous that this is to be considered "OK". Patching a bug is one thing, but to take this long fixing what I consider to be the main selling point of the game? Ugh.
I assume you all checked each other's NAT conditions then, if you and your friends couldn't connect with each other? That might be the problem...

Kibs said:
Guess you forgot about when me, you and a certain bald guy tried to play together and had constant disconnects :p
Right. I'll just blame it on "baldie's" less than optimal internet connection (since he had 3 yellow bars and you were in the green IIRC) then. ;p

poweld

MicVlaD said:
I assume you all checked each other's NAT conditions then, if you and your friends couldn't connect with each other? That might be the problem...

Correct in your assumption. The three of us all forwarded the necessary ports to eliminate the need for that pesky NAT traversal, and still would lose our connection without fail after 10-15 minutes, tops.

In addition, I lost all my weapons and animal orbs after playing online with my bud. Can you see now why I feel a little disappointed in this purchase? :lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
huh

so if i have my gamertag on my memory card, and i go into the living room to my roommates xbox, login under my name, and then re-download castle crashers, and proceed to play for awhile (starting at level 1 because the it's a new save game obviously) and play until i get to level 13...

and then i come back to my xbox to play... my level 53 is gone and i'm at level 13

fuck

i saw this thread on the front page again.....hoping to see news of a patch

and no news of patch..

and now I am sad...geez how long does it fricken take....

unomas

Banned
I just bought the game 2 days ago and I'm loving it but so far I've only played offline and am a level 21. I'm just hoping the patch comes out soon!

Top Bottom