• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nu Metal Thread - 9guys1band

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
NVwM0QW.jpg

What is nu metal?

Nu metal (also known as nü-metal, aggro-metal, neo-metal or new metal) is a subgenreof heavy metal music. It is a fusion genre which combines sounds, influences and characteristics of heavy metal and its subgenres such as groove metal, thrash metal and alternative metal with other genres, including hip hop, grunge, hardcore punk, funk and industrial. It is classed as part of alternative metal. (It is also a staple of the average Naruto / DBZ music video.)

You should all watch this.

Metal Evolution- Nu metal

fredd_zps6ac42921.jpg
metalevo_zps4a7a8d31.jpg
nu_zps7fa89e3e.jpg

This guy does a documentary on all the sub genre's, and this one is about good ol' nu metal.
It's worth a spin to see what this metal purest thinks of it. A lot is his opinion along with the history, so don't take it all as fact.
It's not just some dude on Youtube with a crappy show, it aired on VH1 as a series. It's done well.

What do most people think of nu metal?

Good question! Let's see what some famous musicians have to say:

When I'm asked what do I think of a lot of the nu-metal bands that are out there, my response is that it seems really insincere to me. I've had a really shitty childhood and I'm really upset and I'm really ugly and I've put a lot of make-up on and I'm harder and faster and my voice sounds more like the cookie monster's than yours does. To me it all comes across as being comical, as being a parody of itself. - Trent Reznor

As KORN go on, it's the same things — bad childhoods and mean moms. It gets too old after a while. How old is Jonathan? Thirty? How long has it been since he lived with his parents?" - Chino Moreno

"I feel no responsibility for that, it's their mothers' fault, not mine." - Mike Patton

...Uh okay moving on, how about our very own GAF???

What a bullshit thread and band.

I'm not an elitist asshole, I just KNOW this is shit music.

I feel sorry/happy for people who LIKE it because they obviously aren't music listeners.

I become happy because they have a whole wicked library of music to hopefully "discover".

That will be an awesome experience.

Disturbed is one of the absolute worst bands I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. I don't mean to troll but if you're over the age of 12 or 13 and you're still listening to this kind of garbage (ie, HED pe), you're an asshole.

Anyway, Nu-Metal was terrible. Rather than bands learning from those that set the template in the first place (Faith No More's The Real Thing and Body Count's self-titled album probably being the defining statements at the time) we saw talentless bands combine forgettable, dumbed-down riffs with pitifully bad attempts at rapping.

Even the worst of the faux-Metalcore we hear today is nothing compared to the Nu-Metal nadir of the mid to late nineties.

CRAWWWWWWWWWWLING IIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIN

THESE WOUUUUUUNDS THEY WILLLLLLL NOT HEAAAAAAALLL

nu-metal was worse. you have to be in middle school or dense as a rock to listen to the genre. seriously, everyone who just posted something positive about disturbed should edit their posts with their age.

there are some bands with talent that unfortunately play nu metal (tool comes to mind). a shame.

ivwTsAYcfKolw.gif

Uh, wow. Do we have a metal thread?

Yeah

What albums would you recommend?

A lot of these recommendations will be personal, but I will be quoting reviews for most of these albums from Sputnikmusic. Also a special thanks to the user Metalstyles for all his awesome nu metal reviews / lists.

Korn - Self Titled

HtbExZI.jpg

The production is limited, all the bells and whistles of studio-polish that were provided later are not here, but it even aids the album, giving it a hostile, raw feeling to the music. The song structures are very, very (very) simplistic, but even that cannot stop you from enjoying the music, and Korn itself. With a strong set of songs, exceptional vocal talent, and a knack for the rap-metal hybrid (at least for this period of time), Korn's debut is grim, brooding, nihilistic, and enjoyable to surprisingly great lengths.

Other albums by this band: Life is Peachy / Follow The Leader / Issues / Untouchables

Slipknot - Self Titled

7kMG4p9.jpg

Slipknot's debut is a highly influential and focused release that is held back by the fact that it is too immature to take seriously occasionally. The pressure was off for the band on their debut and whatever the listener's pre-conceptions of them, this album shows off everything their early works embody. Nowhere on Slipknot is there a filler track in sight as was the main problem with their most recent album and every song feels honed and unrestrained.

Other albums by this band: Iowa / Vol. 3

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

k6lh56K.jpg

Hybrid Theory stands as a defining mainstream album at the turn of the century, and for good reason.

Other albums by this band: Meteora / Reanimation

Disturbed - Believe

fiYhJZr.jpg

Disturbed is a band comfortable with being in the middle; their musicianship is good enough, heavy but not heavy, with David Draiman exuberating passionate vocals over mostly simple song structures that don't sway too far away from verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. While for most bands this would seem like a problem, like the band was in a rut and completely uninspired, Disturbed make it work however, throwing in slight variations of their sound (a change in tempo here, a nasty palm-muted riff there) and allowing Draiman's voice to carry the tunes into extremely catchy territory. This is heavy music for a party; nothing to step back about and say "wow, that was incredible" but enough oomph to make anyone want to headbang along and throw up their fists in delight. Believe is the pinnacle of Disturbed's successful formula as it carries the best of the tunes Disturbed has to offer and remains very consistent, albeit at times boring.

Other albums by this band: Down With The Sickness / Ten Thousand Fists / Indestructible

Mudvayne - L.D. 50

ilDaL0q.jpg

(hey i'm just playin it safe)

Like other unfortunate bands such as Television, Joy Division, The Doors, Linkin Park, and The Ramones, Mudvayne has never been able to top their debut. They've mellowed, and they've dropped the silly makeup, but they've never reached the atmospheric peak of L.D. 50. And that's okay, since they left us with an uncompromising masterpiece. And while it seems stereotypical to say this, especially on this website, this is nu-metal's defining album.

Other albums by this band: The End of All Things to Come

Sevendust - Animosity

j7uRNfi.jpg

With numerous albums within their arsenal, Sevendust crafts their third-studio album with relative ease and satisfaction. Pressing some dark and mature themes to the table, the band cement themselves amongst the finest of bands willing to openly reveal their hidden pains to the world. Sometimes the only cure for such a pain is to let it out, and the boys let it out in the only way they know how to: through music. A certain passion for the art must be present in presenting honesty and truth to an audience, Sevendust is one to follow. Animosity is a masterpiece.

Deftones - White Pony*

32pUl96.jpg

*Even if you hate nu metal you should check this out. There's a bit of debate whether or not early Deftones even was nu metal but whatevs, it's my favorite album.

Other albums by this band: ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY

System of a Down - Self Titled

9BQs5on.jpg

this shit fukken rules

Other albums by this band: Discography is pretty solid

Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip

2Nu2WSN.jpg

The late 90s were an interesting time. Korn and Limp Bizkit were fighting “boy bands” like NSYNC and Backstreet Boys for the top of the charts, 90s alternative was starting to trail off, and Carson Daly was relevant. Nu-metal was reaching an apex, and with its popularity came a shift in the radio landscape. Stations were forced to play songs that they normally wouldn’t due to the demand for these heavier songs and one of the bands that benefited most from this change was Static-X. While being more industrial than nu, they were able to use the push for nu-metal to get their music to a wider audience. Wisconsin Death Trip came out in March ’99, perfect timing for an album full of hard-driving guitars and industrial samples and programming, complete with a distinct lack of singing.

Drowning Pool - Sinner

ipEu0GW.jpg

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

Snot - Get Some

0b68fE6.jpg

Get Some has to be one of the catchiest nu-metal albums ever and it’s all because of its spastic, funky, and simply downright playful nature that most nu-metal bands never dreamt of ever doing.

Amen - Self Titled

GpoI9G4.jpg

It’s a shame to think of what Amen could have become if it wasn’t for a sub-genre of music that collapsed in on itself with an oversaturation of Linkin Park’s, Papa Roach’s and Korn wannabes. Amen’s passion towards keeping classic punk alive speaks volumes and instills the fact that nu-metal had a beating pulse at one time. As a testament to Snot as well, the three previous members certainly joined the right band and followed up with an equally impressive set of tunes (somewhat in the vein of Snot too if you think about the integrity both of these bands possessed). With Chaos leading the charge and direction of Amen’s S/T, the perfect touch was added in making this a genuinely pissed off album. Pissed off indeed; Amen deliver a one-two punch to the face with their s/t debut.

Papa Roach - Infest

uBYzy1l.jpg

The debut appearance for Papa Roach has officially shown a somewhat cliché appearance. But on the other hand, Papa Roach seem to master their image, and distort it with a major variety of genres that do well in putting up at least a new sound that compliment this over played style of theirs. This was a fair performance by the band, and it seems that Papa Roach won’t abandon their image before long, till new influences come along anyway.

Nonpoint - Statement

d8tT5F0.jpg

Ultimately, Statement is a surprising listen and a great major label debut for Nonpoint. Listeners who like Sevendust, Puya, Ill Nino, and even Rage Against the Machine would definitely be encouraged to give this album a listen with its rock and hip-hop fusion. Again, the instrumentation is hardly innovative, but Goldman's clean and distorted guitar riffs and arpeggios as well as Rivera's fantastic percussion provide a solid foundation to frontman Elias Soriano's sung and shouted vocals.

Other albums by this band: Recoil / To The Pain

P.O.D. - Satellite

LHJMS7L.jpg

In "Satellite", P.O.D. spreads it wings and reaches new levels of intensity and emotion with the help of excellent song-writing and willingness to experiment with their sound.

Other albums by this band: Fundamental Elementals of Southtown, Murdered Love

Ill Nino - Revolution/Revolucion

HNnwVxq.jpg

In conclusion, Ill Nino’s Revolution/Revolucion is a decent nu metal album. While it doesn’t exactly bring anything new to the table, it has some qualities that you can’t get from other nu metal albums, like the constant latin influence and the surprising heaviness of the music. Simple and straightforward, this album delivers a slab of angry, heavy metal for the listener. If you like nu metal and alternative metal, or are a open-minded person who’s ready to give any kind of music a chance, give this album a spin, if not, don’t waste your time.

Other albums by this band: Fairly consistent discography.

Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.*

WOYt6ja.jpg

*This is more funk metal, but also kinda nu-metaly, so I dunno. Like with Deftones, since I think this album would appeal to people who like nu metal, I'll keep it up.

The album stands out like a sore thumb within Incubus' most widely acclaimed albums, though, and it's because even though S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was a logical progression in context of the band's musical ventures, it's a strange creature on its own. It's that chill kid in your Biology class, kinda smelly but vibey at the same time - the kid you end up becoming best friends with, despite his lack of hygienic discipline. See, he knows that sometimes it's more rewarding to embrace the filth, to be rough around the edges for the sake of something more important. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. only cares about elements and drugs, about love and chemicals and dust, not about how cautiously these themes should be presented, and this is why Incubus' debut album also happens to be their most unforgettable.

Spineshank - Self-Destructive Patterns

8tob1tt.jpg

This was Spineshank's final album before the band originally broke up (they have since re-united and are in the process of recording a 4th album). It's in my opinion their best work, although it doesn't have my favorite songs by them, it is the most consistently good. "The Height of Callousness" was a great album, but there were a few segments in it that were just painfully bad (Cyanide 2600), and "Strictly Diesel" was interesting, but nothing special (especially not their dreadful Beatles cover). I would not be surprised by another release from Spineshank either this year, or early next, that catapults them back on the scene.

Other albums by this band: The Height of Callousness

Nothingface - Violence

zCvIDZK.jpg

Around the time all the NU-Metal bands were appearing and copying each other, there was one band that appeared out of thin air. They called themselves Nothingface and the music they had to offer was very hard hitting and brutal. Each album they released got heavier and heavier and we finally ended up with Violence. As much as this album has been overlooked, many underground critics have said it was “Brutally Beautiful!” My first listen of the album put me in shock. It is so heavy and well written that it became my number one album of all time.

Other albums by this band: An Audio Guide To Everyday Atrocity / Skeletons

And of course, what nu metal list could possibly be considered worth a damn without mention of the king:

IdIdI9z.gif
IdIdI9z.gif
IdIdI9z.gif
LIMP BIZKIT BITCHEZZZZZ
IdIdI9z.gif
IdIdI9z.gif
IdIdI9z.gif

chdSZ9e.jpg

Other albums: Significant Other

Well, that's all I got for now. I don't think is going to go over very well :lol

K.Sabot

That one Limp Bizcuit song that played in NHL Hitz was the only nu metal I ever remotely liked.

Also someone bought me that POD album for my birthday, I wish I still had it.

Lakitu

st5fu
I used to love Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit when I was about 12. I got bored though. I've pretty much stopped listening to metal in general (except Tool/Rammstein, if you consider them metal). I also still listen to P.O.D.'s Youth of the Nation. I love that song.

I respect everybody's taste really, so it doesn't bother me that people listen to it.

Amen were pretty awesome live, I didn't much care for their recorded work, though. Liked Korn's early stuff, but everything after Follow the Leader was trash. Limp Bizkit's first album is still pretty great to me, but I didn't much like the direction they went in with Significant Other.

Also, no mention of One Minute Silence? Perhaps they were more of a UK thing, but I loved these guys back in the day, saw them live in local shit-holes probably two dozen times and it was great to see them rise to popularity (in the UK, at least);

3rAOEWu.jpg

One Minute Silence - A More Violent Approach
One Minute Silence - Fish Out of Water
One Minute Silence - Brainspiller

Great stuff, if you like Rage Against the Machine-esque nu-metal.

I was a massive fan of Korn in the early 2000s to the point where the only thing that I'd listen to was Korn and I'd look for more bands that were in association to Korn. Then I got into Metalcore, then more into the extreme metal like Death and Black.

I'd say I still have a soft spot for Korn, atleast up until Issues and bits of Untouchables. Other nu-metal bands didnt really stick besides Deftones (whom I still listen to now and tbh dont really consider to be nu-metal) and Linkin Park which I dont listen to anymore but I loved them up until Meteora.

I also have a mild enjoyment for Slipknot.

FYC

Banned
Amen were pretty awesome live, I didn't much care for their recorded work, though. Liked Korn's early stuff, but everything after Follow the Leader was trash. Limp Bizkit's first album is still pretty great to me, but I didn't much like the direction they went in with Significant Other.

Also, no mention of One Minute Silence? Perhaps they were more of a UK thing, but I loved these guys back in the day, saw them live in local shit-holes probably two dozen times and it was great to see them rise to popularity (in the UK, at least);

One Minute Silence - A More Violent Approach
One Minute Silence - Fish Out of Water
One Minute Silence - Brainspiller

Great stuff, if you like Rage Against the Machine-esque nu-metal.

Oh, the name is familiar! I'll give it a listen.

what genre first 3 albums of system of a down belong to? NU Metal or Alternative?

Completely forgot about them, even though they were my favorite band for a few years growing up. Hard to say which genre, but I would HIGHLY recommend their first album. Good shit.

L.D. 50 will forever be a great album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKxtTPQ1Q8

(I agree)

FYC

Banned
I was a massive fan of Korn in the early 2000s to the point where the only thing that I'd listen to was Korn and I'd look for more bands that were in association to Korn. Then I got into Metalcore, then more into the extreme metal like Death and Black.

I'd say I still have a soft spot for Korn, atleast up until Issues and bits of Untouchables. Other nu-metal bands didnt really stick besides Deftones (whom I still listen to now and tbh dont really consider to be nu-metal) and Linkin Park which I dont listen to anymore but I loved them up until Meteora.

I also have a mild enjoyment for Slipknot.

Yeah, I was the exact same with Korn. I would post on Korn fan sites all the time. I got to see them live once when I was younger and it was magical.

This is my LastFM. I listen to thrash and death mostly, but I like just about everything.

Say something for the record and the people what you feel.

Snot babyyyy

Skunkers

That's the first time ive ever seen someone say Tool is nu-metal. Love them or hate them, aside from arguably their first EP, they have always been progressive hard rock. I've seen some say progressive metal, but I don't think there is enough metal influence to go there. Nu-metal though? I don't even

FYC

Banned
That's the first time ive ever seen someone say Tool is nu-metal. Love them or hate them, aside from arguably their first EP, they have always been progressive hard rock. I've seen some say progressive metal, but I don't think there is enough metal influence to go there. Nu-metal though? I don't even

Yeah, I thought that was kinda weird too.

I do love me some Tool though.

Yeah, I was the exact same with Korn. I would post on Korn fan sites and listen to bootlegs / leaks all the time. I got to see them live once when I was younger and it was magical.

This is my LastFM. I listen to thrash and death mostly, but I like just about everything.

This is mine . In terms of metal I'm more death and black and I cant stand power metal for the most part (there are exeptions). But nowadays I'm abit more diverse and I listen to more post-rock, indie rock and shoegaze. Metal was my life in highschool.

To keep this abit more on topic, I heard Head recorded a new album with Korn. Not sure if I should feel excited. New Korn just doesnt do much for me.

NinjaBoiX

Tool aren't nu-metal, they're more prog rock than anything. But they're the best band you mentioned. Dat Danny Carey.

Also, Paramore are a good band. I feel comfortable saying that in here.

FYC

Banned
Tool aren't nu-metal, they're more prog rock than anything. But they're the best band you mentioned. Dat Danny Carey.

Also, Paramore are a good band. I feel comfortable saying that in here.

To be fair, it wasn't me who mentioend 'em, was a GAF poster I quoted(edit: v in the op)! But I agree that they aren't nu metal.

Don't worry NinjaBoi, you're safe here. You may even post a Hayley gif or two if you wish as long as it's not too off topic :p

Lakitu

st5fu
Are people referring to my post? I probably didn't explain properly. I meant that I've stopped listening to metal in general (not nu-metal) but I still occasionally listen to Tool. Tool are more progressive rock than anything else though.

wow, a nu-metal thread? on GAF? Surprising. :p I'll be honest, at the time a lot of my favorite bands/music was nu-metal, especially Linkin Park. I was 12/13 at the time so I thought it was cool and all. I still listen to a lot of these bands, though not nearly as much as before. A lot of the music is cliched and formulaic, but I still like it. Besides, they genuinely had some really good songs. Rearranged, Breaking the Habit, In the End (idc what anyone says, it's good), Youth of a Nation, Freak on a Leash/Falling Away from Me, Dead Memories, etc.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't include System of a Down on this list. I mean if you count Deftones and Incubus AND Mudvayne as nu-metal, I'd think SOAD would count, even if loosely defined as such. Personally I think all 3 of the bands definitely count as nu-metal at least with their first few albums, especially Deftones. Though I'm kind of wary to classify Deftones and Incubus (and I guess SOAD to a lesser extent) as nu-metal because then people might automatically write them off, which is unfair, as I think they're especially great bands.

Also, I certainly wouldn't classify Tool as nu-metal in any way. They're pretty much progressive metal.

As for Mudvayne, they are a prime example of having an amazing first album and then subsequently dumbing down later albums for more market appeal. It's really a shame that none of their later albums come even close to L.D.50. I'd say The End of All Things to Come is still a pretty good album, as well as some songs from their other albums, like "Happy?"
are decent.

AND another thing, hate on the bands all you want, but Chester Bennington and Corey Taylor are amazing singers. Also, Wes Borland is a good guitar player.

Soma

Man, Linkin Park was my jam back in High School.

I've outgrown all of those bands except for Deftones who've consistently put out great albums and manage to remain somewhat fresh and unique among their colleagues.

FYC

Banned
wow, a nu-metal thread? on GAF? Surprising. :p I'll be honest, at the time a lot of my favorite bands/music was nu-metal, especially Linkin Park. I was 12/13 at the time so I thought it was cool and all. I still listen to a lot of these bands, though not nearly as much as before. A lot of the music is cliched and formulaic, but I still like it. Besides, they genuinely had some really good songs. Rearranged, Breaking the Habit, In the End (idc what anyone says, it's good), Youth of a Nation, Freak on a Leash/Falling Away from Me, Dead Memories, etc.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't include System of a Down on this list. I mean if you count Deftones and Incubus AND Mudvayne as nu-metal, I'd think SOAD would count, even if loosely defined as such. Personally I think all 3 of the bands definitely count as nu-metal at least with their first few albums, especially Deftones. Though I'm kind of wary to classify Deftones and Incubus (and I guess SOAD to a lesser extent) as nu-metal because then people might automatically right them off, which is unfair, as I think they're especially great bands.

Also, I certainly wouldn't classify Tool as nu-metal in any way. They're pretty much progressive metal.

As for Mudvayne, they are a prime example of having an amazing first album and then subsequently dumbing down later albums for more market appeal. It's really a shame that none of their later albums come even close to L.D.50. I'd say The End of All Things to Come is still a pretty good album, as well as some songs from their other albums, like "Happy?"
are decent.

AND another thing, hate on the bands all you want, but Chester Bennington and Corey Taylor are amazing singers.

I just completely forgot about SOAD :( I might edit them in later.

I'd also to recommend Reveille - Bleed The Sky.

2:38 - 3:26. Fucking magic.

Used to love system of a down man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY

Serj tankian was god mode vocals during that period, before he decided to start singing goat.

Yeah, Serj was amazing for a while, but watching recent SOAD concerts it seems like he has a hard time hitting notes and maintaining them. He definitely can't do the intense stuff like he used to anymore. Probably vocal problems from all the screaming he did for so long(Chino (Deftones) had this same problem for a while). Sucks.

And I know a lot of people hate on Daron's singing, but I think he is a good complement to Serj. Lost in Hollywood is a prime example of that.

Oh, and what about Godsmack? They're definitely nu-metal.

Darren870

I grew up listing to this music and industrial music.

My tastes have migrated more towards industrial music since then, but I still listen to some nu-metal every now and then at the gym. Usually only the bands first or second album, as its usually allllllll the way down hill after that.

Some great ones not mentioned, and also maybe lesser known. Least they were when I was into the music.

40 Below Summer
Apartment 26
Coal Chamber
Crossbreed
Dope
Dry Kill Logic
Factory 81
Dog Fashion Disco (Amazing)
The Union Underground
Ultra Spank

I spent most of my early teens going to NYC and going to crappy clubs watching all these acts play. Then I got into Skinny Puppy and Einstürzende Neubauten and my eyes opened up.

Dishwalla

Banned
Okay, I can still un-apologetically listen to blink-182 or New Found Glory or even fucking Fenix TX without any issues. But listening to System of a Down or Korn or (God forbid) Limp Bizkit in this day and age I can't do, it's just so damn bad. I don't know how I did it ten to fifteen years ago.

Spineshank's "The Height Of Callousness" was one of my absolute favourite albums for many years. To be honest I think it still holds up as a great album today.

I can still remember hearing them for the first time on a Metal Hammer sampler CD. I absolutely despised the song at first, but found myself humming the track incessantly in school the following day. In many ways I feel this was the moment my love for metal really began. This entire thread is a massive nostalgia bomb for me, most of it coincides right with the point in my life when I was attempting to find my own identity through music and the like.

Good times.

waypoetic

Banned
Haha oooh Chino's response. I love you Chino.

If Limp Bizkit was an instrumental only band I'd listen every day
Yeah Fred Durst writes some weak lyrics. I like alot of their songs but there aren't awhole lot of songs that i like that's also got some good lyrics - "Boiler" is my favorite LB song, that's for sure. I've got some personal ties with those lyrics. Maybe that's why.

Dinokill

Fuck the haters! I like Numetal. I will recommend LAPD(is basically Korn minus Head and JD). It's Red Hot Chili Peppers meets Faith no More, really cool.

Vyroxis

Banned
There should really a limit of 3-4 YouTube clips per post. Threads like this bog down my phone so Fucking bad.

Anyways, when I was younger I fell into nu-metal hard, just like.so many other poor suckers. I still even have my Untouchables chain wallet from hot topic, only because the Damn thing is still in amazingly good shape. However, I have long since moved on to other genres of music, mostly country and random bits of techno. I do have one friend, however, that refuses to.let go of nu-metal. It's almost all he listens to. If I go anywhere with him, he has to play disturbed albums on repeat. If he is reading some of his books, it will be Korn and slipknot. Video games means Linkin Park. It's really really sad. Especially since the guy refuses to admit that other genres of music are actually good. He actually threw a tantrum one day when I told him to turn that shit off and listen to something else in the car.

Nu-Metal ruins people folks. Save them early on, or forever pray for the souls of their musical taste.

big_z

your spineshank info is dated. 4th album came out last year and sadly they dropped the industrial aspect late into the recording. the album sounds like a spineshank/silent civilian hybrid instead of an evolution of spineshank.

I loved the first Korn album when i heard it in like 96. Never liked any other nu-metal stuff, and now that im 33 years old hearing any of that shit makes me cringe. Rich white 30somethings whining about how shitty it is to be a teenager. White Pony however was a fantastic album that doesnt deserve to be classed as nu-metal.

Aiii

So not worth it
There should really a limit of 3-4 YouTube clips per post. Threads like this bog down my phone so Fucking bad.

For future reference:

---

I still like to go back and listen to the old Nu-metal stuff. I never really got the immense hatred some people had for it either. It was fun to listen to and great to let loose on at the local bar.

Darren870

Some clown had Tool down as nu-metal. This thread is cray.

The first album could be classified as Nu-Metal. I remember when it first came out it was on all the Nu-Metal stations and channels.

After that, it was more progressive rock like Tool....

I'll give Down With The Sickness a spin every so often, but I definitely wouldn't put nu-metal down as one of my favourite genres. Simply put, a major portion is simplistic, generic and mindless. It's always the most passionate or flexible songs that stand out from the genre, but my experiences with those songs are few and far between. The line between a grandiose ride like Pulse Of The Maggots or S.C.I.E.N.C.E and a blase, hackneyed trip like 311's self-titled album is a thin one indeed.

I liked a lot of nu-metal, like a LOT a lot. It's always been popular in rock and metal clubs over here, especially with people my ago or so. Right place at the right time I guess. Still, I've always enjoyed things that mix and mash-up genres, so the nu-metal that really takes in influences from hip-hop and so on are great. Nu-metal for me was always a loosely defined term, more of a put-down than an actual genre descriptor when used by most people.

Moofers

C'mon OP, way to cop out and bow to all the people who are "too cool" for nu metal. If you like nu metal, then it doesn't matter if somebody on GAF says it sucks. GAF says everything sucks. Wear it proudly, dude.

As for the bands themselves, I like many of the ones mentioned in this thread, but I shudder at the mention of Linkin Park and Korn. They were big in their heyday, I just can't listen to either one anymore.

Nobody mentioned "Mushroomhead" so far. Awesome band. Not so much into their new stuff, but I loved the XX and XIII albums.
Mushroomhead-band-2003.jpg

nan0

I recently listened to some of my Limp Bizkit albums again, and wondered why I liked them so much in high school. The songs are mostly okayish, but the lyrics are sometimes just dumb. Still a big fan of the first Linkin Park albums, but I could never into other artists like Korn or Mudvayne.

I'd like to throw in Skillet, they might as well qualify as Nu Metal despite being categorized as "Christian".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom