• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nu Metal Thread - 9guys1band

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTOOLL

Oh my youth...

Even today I still can't believe how good Mudvayne's LD50 is. Of course they couldn't top that afterwards. One of my favorites albums ever.

I also came here to recommend this masterpiece:

Five%2BPointe%2B0-Untitled-Front.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Haven't listened to them in quite a while. Kinda stopped listening to most 'nu metal' stuff a while back. I still like a lot of it, but its not stuff I listen to regularly or anything.

I dont know why they wouldn't be nu metal, though. I guess they didn't have the angsty whining that a lot of the stuff around the time did, but its still not too far from the other stuff, musically. I love the singer. He's my favorite part. Its a very militaristic, commanding voice.

i just don't get that nu-metal vibe from them at all, and honestly they really change the formula up from album to album.

Branson

Hey

To be fair, I sort of thought this was just gonna be a thread of people piling on me and I hate myself so I wanted to joke around with it. Surprising outcome though.

Hell naw. I personally have all of my numetal collection still digitally preserved from the cd days. It's all in my iPod of 5000 or so songs too so this shit comes up quite often. I'm still looking forward to the next slipknot album, curious to hear from Korn, still like sevendust, picked up device from the frontman of disturbed. It's a guilty pleasure. I love metal/rock and haven't found a genre in it I hate.

aku:jiki

Nu-Metal is another one of those genres that just seems to attract fucking awful cheesball names too. Limp Bizkit, Morbid Angel, Sodom, Kreator, Amen, urgh.
Danny Carey is the best drummer ever to hold a pair of sticks.
I feel like you should never talk about music on GAF again. Stick to spamming random pictures of that redheaded chick. At least she's cute.

Mother of god. Do you guys even read?
Do you, bro? Everyone's referring to the quote in the OP, not your post.

In honour of my new music-bro Moofers I am cranking American Head Charge's The War Of Art and drinking a beer on this lovely summer day.

The opening track, A Violent Reaction, is well good!

bart jr

Neo Member
Chimaira????

That band isn't bad!

I hate (I hate) everyone!
I hate (I hate)
And I hate and I hate everyone!

Eh, no one said they(or any other nu metal band) were lyrical geniuses. The lyrics are probably one of the worst aspects of the whole genre in my opinion.

From back when I was 15/16 and listening to nu-metal all the way up to now, a band's music always stood out to me first and foremost. Next was the vocal patterns over the music, and finally lyrical content. I don't know if that's because I'm a guitar player myself or what. I doubt I could listen to some of those songs today without feeling a little embarrassed by the lyrics, but I can without a doubt still enjoy the music.

jmdajr

Eh, no one said they(or any other nu metal band) were lyrical geniuses. The lyrics are probably one of the worst aspects of the whole genre in my opinion.

From back when I was 15/16 and listening to nu-metal all the way up to now, a band's music always stood out to me first and foremost. Next was the vocal patterns over the music, and finally lyrical content. I don't know if that's because I'm a guitar player myself or what. I doubt I could listen to some of those songs today without feeling a little embarrassed by the lyrics, but I can without a doubt still enjoy the music.

I wasn't poking fun. I think it's a bad ass song.

Lyrics in metal pretty much mean nothing to me. Sure I appreciate the catchy choruses and all that, but it's really about the sound of the music. That's all that matters.

I listened to some new band that I thought was cool. Five Finger Death Punch. People pointed out how the lyrics were just horrible, but i don't know..I just like how the band sounds.

One of my favorite bands, In Flames (which lots of people hate now).... I couldn't even tell you what any of their songs mean.

Mudvayne had interesting lyrics at times, certainly interesting concepts. I really like Death Blooms take on euthanasia.

Cold seems crippling lame meander through corridors aroma's thick
with age mark off the day reflections of my life are fading

Pull me out of body don't want it don't want in,
Feeble frail and rotting descending I'm lost in,
A structure that's collapsing don't want it cast into,
Maker take the body don't want it wants me

Past has found its place salvation is no more will god accept my
peace bleached will pardon me reflections of my life are fading
A structure that's collapsing don't want it cast into,

I just want to run fly kites wrestle jump and play
Swim through waves that crash to shore memories in me
cocooned in misery

I'm sick and tired of embracing reflections of past time receive me
or cast me away
...god please take me away
resistance futile suicidal ideas I will crucify my own being satisfy
selfish needs fuck the deities justify my own right to what's waiting
for me

On the other side the time has come lock and load I'm coming I'm
coming I'm coming I'm coming home

A structure that's collapsing descending don't want it,
Maker take the body don't want it wants me,
A structure that's collapsing descending don't want it,

I just want to run fly kites wrestle jump and play
Swim through waves that crash to shore memories in me
cocooned in misery
The darkness overcomes soul soars to the other plain
Existence past the door I sail through purgatory's bay

I asked a god for poison cradle me sown to my dreams souls searching
death blossoms where clouds lie over me held in god's hands death
blooming

Dark for fear of failure an inner gloom as wide as an eye and
fermenting roiling hate death grip in my veins unveiling rancid
petals flowering forth foul nectar the space between a blink and a
tear
...death blooms.

Revolver

I've got to link this thread to one of my nephews. He's just loves Nu-metal and is a huge fan of Disturbed and Godsmack. The rock radio station in my neck of the woods still plays this stuff all the time. Honestly, I have a soft spot for bands like Slipknot, Korn, SOAD and Deftones.

Spineshank's "The Height Of Callousness" was one of my absolute favourite albums for many years. To be honest I think it still holds up as a great album today.

I can still remember hearing them for the first time on a Metal Hammer sampler CD. I absolutely despised the song at first, but found myself humming the track incessantly in school the following day. In many ways I feel this was the moment my love for metal really began. This entire thread is a massive nostalgia bomb for me, most of it coincides right with the point in my life when I was attempting to find my own identity through music and the like.

Good times.

Damn straight. Height of Callousness and L.D. 50 are two of the best albums from that period of music. Unfortunately, most of that list and most of this genre are garbage, giving the great stuff a bad name.

I also agree that Deftones should not be in this grouping (maybe Adrenaline, but that's it), they're their own thing, and fantastic.

gabbo

Of the bands in the OP, only Incubus or Deftones still interest me, and they sound nothing like what came to be defined as 'Nu-metal' these days. hell Incubus released what I'd call an adult alternative pop record, which is a long way from their RHCP-like debut EP

nimbus

Banned
It's tragic how the talent of Mudvayne shriveled up. Material on the level of The End of All Things to Come would've been acceptable if their output kept up, but alas they went major pop. And now Hell Yeah!...a waste (of oxygen).

Seanspeed

Banned
The OP reads like a who's who of about six months of my life as a 13 year old. We all had our embarrassing tryhard period, that was mine. I was listening to some bands I still love at the time too, but none mentioned here stuck. Terrible dated music, basically the bastard child of goth culture as filtered through evening news reports and major labels desperate for another grunge-style moment at any cost.

I appreciate the balls to own up to this, OP. if it makes you feel any better, around last year 19 year olds in scene bands started worshipping Slipknot and like bands and a bunch of them dropped the crabcore stuff and started sounding like the kind of nu metal that has just a tinge of hardcore genes left. So I don't think your love for Static-X will ever be justified, but you are getting the youth culture on your side a bit thanks to the usual nostalgia cycle. Give it a few more years and kids who were born in 1999 will happily bring a second wave of this stuff that idealizes it and makes it seem like every band was more like Slipknot and less like Adema.
I think you're grossly generalizing why people liked this music.

It was more that it introduced a lot of people to a heavier sound while still retaining some accessibility to it. It was more aggressive than most of the music they'd heard up to that point without being too abrasive.

You act as if most people just straight up go from radio rock to Cryptopsy or something. Most people grow their taste in heavier stuff in stages. And not everybody finds heavier and heavier appealing. For some people, 'nu metal' levels of heavy are exactly their limit. Personally, I think it still has its place. It may not be anything I listen to a lot nowadays, but I cant hate on it. And it surely led plenty of people into heavier territory, which I think is a great thing. I grew up playing guitar during the late 90's/early 2000's and it provided the perfect step for my growth as a player and also to develop my tastes for more hardcore stuff. Where is that step for younger people now?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The first thing I did when I got Spotify was add all of the crap that I listened to 12-15 years ago, since I'd never pay money for it again. Some of it is and was truly awful, but some? Actually pretty decent.

SOAD, Static-X, Nothingface, Snot, Spineshank, Ultraspank — all pretty good.

I remembered liking Slipknot quite a bit, but listening to the self-titled album now, it's boring and not even nearly as heavy as I had recalled.

I always thought of nu metal as being the generic version of Ministry. All these bands were trying to copy the industrial metal sound. I knew industrial metal was over when Sepultura made an industrial album and Axle Rose was making one. Kinda like how you know dub step is over when Tailor Swift has a dub step beat top 40 song.

Seanspeed

Banned
I always thought of nu metal as being the generic version of Ministry. All these bands were trying to copy the industrial metal sound. I knew industrial metal was over when Sepultura made an industrial album and Axle Rose was making one. Kinda like how you know dub step is over when Tailor Swift has a dub step beat top 40 song.
None of these bands sound anything like Ministry. The industrial element might have been an influence in a few of these bands(like Spineshank), but otherwise.........what? I've never heard this 'industrial' Sepultura album, either.

Branson

The OP reads like a who's who of about six months of my life as a 13 year old. We all had our embarrassing tryhard period, that was mine. I was listening to some bands I still love at the time too, but none mentioned here stuck. Terrible dated music, basically the bastard child of goth culture as filtered through evening news reports and major labels desperate for another grunge-style moment at any cost.

I appreciate the balls to own up to this, OP. if it makes you feel any better, around last year 19 year olds in scene bands started worshipping Slipknot and like bands and a bunch of them dropped the crabcore stuff and started sounding like the kind of nu metal that has just a tinge of hardcore genes left. So I don't think your love for Static-X will ever be justified, but you are getting the youth culture on your side a bit thanks to the usual nostalgia cycle. Give it a few more years and kids who were born in 1999 will happily bring a second wave of this stuff that idealizes it and makes it seem like every band was more like Slipknot and less like Adema.

What bands? I'm curious.

jmdajr

None of these bands sound anything like Ministry. The industrial element might have been an influence in a few of these bands(like Spineshank), but otherwise.........what? I've never heard this 'industrial' Sepultura album, either.
That was a side project by Max Cavalera called Nailbomb. There was also a Refuse resist remix.

Came out back in 1993. Every time I heard a top 40 nu metal band on the radio back in the early 00's it reminded me of Ministry, KMFDM etc... Just like every top 40 pop punk band from that same time was a rip off of Green Day and they were a rip off of the Ramones.

Seanspeed

Banned
That was a side project by Max Cavalera called Nailbomb. There was also a Refuse resist remix.

Yea, I know Nailbomb. But thats not Sepultura, nor is it really anything like Ministry.

Way better in my opinion. ;)

Fuck yes Nailbomb. That was a side project with the Earache band 'Fudge Tunnel' dudes i think right. Fudge Tunnel. Pretty great band iirc. Never was suprised they didnt hit the mainstream stations if ya know what im saying.
No, Nailbomb was Max, Igor and Dino from Fear Factory.

agrajag

Banned

What are you on about? Sepultura industrial album? Stop making shit up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Remember when Machine Head got in on the fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzeJiHHQOY
That was one of my most anticipated albums of all time. I even remember downloading all of the wallpapers from their site prior to the release (they had dragons on them or something). Unfortunately, even back then, that I didn't end up liking it very much.

That video is fucking great, though.

malfcn

I still love Slipknot and Chimaira.
Expecting good things for Chimaira this summer, and hopefully Slipknot get something out in the next year or two. Agreed that Stone Sour is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4cUGCpEek8

To this day, I still think some Disturbed songs have killer riffs. Like this one.

Disturbed are interesting because their style of metal adapted well to not being nu-metal after the genre prolapsed itself.

Deftones are obviously still a legit great band because their hardcore/new-wave/shoegaze/post-rock influences shine through. I'd say SOAD are still legitimate as well because of their relatively unique sound and political bent.

Also, you can't be a nu-metal band in the late 90s without including Tool (even though you sound nothing like them or are not anywhere near as talented as them) or Deftones (because they are legit great) as your influences.

elfinke

L.D. 50 will forever be a great album.

You and I can be frien...

It's tragic how the talent of Mudvayne shriveled up. Material on the level of The End of All Things to Come would've been acceptable if their output kept up, but alas they went major pop. And now Hell Yeah!...a waste (of oxygen).

Aw hell no. Chad is still terrific live, and any chance to see Vinny in person is alright by me. Hellyeah is just a bunch of fun and I've a soft spot for southern whiskey metal anyway, mostly due it being such a non-serious, almost parody of the more serious genres in metal.

Though I agree with your first post, LD50 was/is fucking amazing. I saw Mud when they came out to a Big Day Out here in Australia, like 15 years ago (might have been the year Limp Bizkit headlined and the young girl was crushed in the mosh pit) - they were terrific then and only ever got better live each time I saw them thereafter. One concert in particular at the Tivoli Theatre in Brisbane was fucking amazing, one of the best nights ever. Got hammered in a bar afterwards with Chad and Greg, good times.

I was really into nu-metal in junior high and into my first couple years of high school. I moved on to punk/hardcore, but I still love reminiscing with friends about most of the bands listed earlier in this thread. I feel like 90% of the songs didn't hold up well over time, but I'll still throw on a few albums for old times sake.

Chimaira - Pass Out of Existence was a favorite of mine.

The following compilation was an essential for all those into Nu-Metal:

I saw these guys when they supported Korn what feels like a million years ago, along with Throwdown and one other band whose name escapes me just now. Throwdown were the highlight of the evening, but god damn were Chimaira amazing.

A lot of people hated Supercharger, but I thought it was okay, but I might be biased seeing as Machine Head is my favorite band ever.

This song is fun to drink to.

I fucking adore Machine Head. The Blackening is one of my favourite and most played albums. Similar to my stories above, I saw Machine Head when they supported Slipknot a few years ago and Machine Head were the highlight of the night (well, except perhaps for one or two moments during Slipknot's set - they put on one hell of a live show!)

The ocassional silliness, the hypochondria of the at-times unrelateable and pretentious lyrics of nu-metal has always allowed it a permanent place in my music library. It helps of course, that the genre has always had interesting personalities (Durst, or really, any front man or peripherally related person to a nu-metal band) and the occasionally exceptionally talented person, too.

I've got a broad taste range in music, and to have missed out on nu-metal for some reason or another (especially snobbery) would have been a shame. For many it is a gateway drug into other forms of metal and that can only ever be a good thing, given metal is not necessarily a healthy genre (depending on how you wish to define 'healthy', of course, but I did see a bit of discussion around this point after the Golden Gods awards show recently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom