• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nu Metal Thread - 9guys1band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moofers

I liked a lot of nu-metal, like a LOT a lot. It's always been popular in rock and metal clubs over here, especially with people my ago or so. Right place at the right time I guess. Still, I've always enjoyed things that mix and mash-up genres, so the nu-metal that really takes in influences from hip-hop and so on are great. Nu-metal for me was always a loosely defined term, more of a put-down than an actual genre descriptor when used by most people.

Right on. Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the bolded part. I was living in Wisconsin when all this was really blowing up like 15 years ago, and I was the perfect age, etc. People still love it here. We have 2 radio stations in my city that still play a lot of it.

Floex

Pretty much listened to all the bands mentioned. Linkin Park came at a time I was coming out of scene though. One of my favourite albums during that period was HED PE's Broke

61STAbwwvHL._SY300_.jpg

Unashamedly stupid, had some cracking rifts. Soon as Bartender came on it was straight to the floor.

Right on. Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the bolded part. I was living in Wisconsin when all this was really blowing up like 15 years ago, and I was the perfect age, etc. People still love it here. We have 2 radio stations in my city that still play a lot of it.

Really how can you hate a genre that is openly influenced by the greatest band of all time: Faith No More

Some good stuff that wasn't mentioned:

American Head Charge - Just So You Know

Mushroomhead - Bwomp

Stuck Mojo - Metal Is Dead

Stuck Mojo are more stright up rap-metal, but whatever. Everyone needs to hear that song.

Man this thread is going to be my new home. I used to DJ metal clubs in the 00s and so nu-metal was always heavy in the rotation haha.

Nu-metal is the worst thing to happen to pop music in the last 25 years.

But I respect this thread and the fans and wish you all the best in your musical listenings and such.

Nu-metal is the worst thing to happen to pop music in the last 25 years.

But I respect this thread and the fans and wish you all the best in your musical listenings and such.

Nu-metal was popular but that wasn't pop. Unless you're seriously,and without irony, putting it in the same genre as Britney Spears et al.

And even then surely the rise of talent shows as a quick route to disposable fame is more damaging?

And so this isn't a big whinge here's one of my favorite Slipknot tracks. Loved when they got really experimental and started messing about with mood and form Slipknow - Iowa. Actually it really reminds me of Natasha by Pig Destroyer.

That was a hell of an OP. Those tunes took me straight back to my sixth form days, in my bedroom, just wracked with angst because my parents didn't get me, I had revision to do, I had split up with my girlfriend, whatever.

Man I would love to go back in time, throw my Linkin Park CDs out the window, and pimp slap my younger self into oblivion. Little prick had it easy.

I will still listen to nu metal whenever I am on a nostalgia kick.

Moofers

Really how can you hate a genre that is openly influenced by the greatest band of all time: Faith No More

Some good stuff that wasn't mentioned:

American Head Charge - Just So You Know

Mushroomhead - Bwomp

Stuck Mojo - Metal Is Dead

Stuck Mojo are more stright up rap-metal, but whatever. Everyone needs to hear that song.

Man this thread is going to be my new home. I used to DJ metal clubs in the 00s and so nu-metal was always heavy in the rotation haha.

You and I, we could be brothers! AH fuckin C put out one of my favorite albums of all time. "The War of Art" still stands as one of the best metal albums ever made, IMO. Really diverse range in there.

And you might not have caught it because it was post 48 or 49, but I said Mushroomhead's XX and XIII are two of my faves as well. I was one of the biggest fans of that band on the planet at the time. Not so much into their new stuff now though.

VENTANA is a side-project for some Mushroomhead guys that actually put out a pretty rad album a couple years back:

VENTANA "The Dying Sound" - Off the album American Survival Guide Pt 1

You and I, we could be brothers! AH fuckin C put out one of my favorite albums of all time. "The War of Art" still stands as one of the best metal albums ever made, IMO. Really diverse range in there.

And you might not have caught it because it was post 48 or 49, but I said Mushroomhead's XX and XIII are two of my faves as well. I was one of the biggest fans of that band on the planet at the time. Not so much into their new stuff now though.

VENTANA is a side-project for some Mushroomhead guys that actually put out a pretty rad album a couple years back:

The Dying Sound - Off American Survival Guide Pt 1

I did not see you post, so I apologise. But thanks for letting me know about that album, will check it out. That song you posted is insane, I know some guys that will love it! I sometimes find War of Art a bit hit and miss but I'm tempted to give it a new listen. I got it years after nu-metal "ended" and usually listen to it when I'm commuting or whatever. Will crank it this afternoon I think!

Another great nu-metal esque song is Death Note's second theme Maximum The Hormone - What Up People?

jmdajr

Heh, I remember I used to be somewhat of a Heavy Metal purest. I used to have guilt liking this stuff! But really, it's not all that bad. It's not traditional metal, but who cares..we already have that. Granted I don't like all of it but stuff from Korn, Disturbed, Static X, Slipknot are all pretty good. At least for me. And to add to that, Korn and Slipknot were some of the best shows I had ever been too. Just completely insane crowds. Really added to the overall enjoyment.

I just bought this is amazon. It was only 5 bucks.

Indestructible.jpg

I don't think it works that way... your influences may be good or even great but what matters is the music you make.

zon

Nu-metal and all its blandness is forgiven because it gave us LD. 50 and SOADs early albums. If you disagree on this truth, fuck you.

Mdk7

Mudvayne, Korn and American Head Charge are STILL my favorite bands.
Even if all of them are sooo distant from what they used to be.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nu-metal and all its blandness is forgiven because it gave us LD. 50 and SOADs early albums. If you disagree on this truth, fuck you.

Seeing System of a Down live in 2001 is still one of my best concert experiences. Second only to Rammstein.

jay

OP left out Mike Patton on nu metal: "I feel no responsibility for that, it's their mothers' fault, not mine."

NinjaBoiX

Nu-Metal is another one of those genres that just seems to attract fucking awful cheesball names too. Limp Bizkit, Morbid Angel, Sodom, Kreator, Amen, urgh.

I mean:

Indestructible.jpg

Jesus, give me strength!

agrajag

Banned
Faith No More sometimes made funk metal and Patton quasi-rapped on The Real Thing.

some nu metal bands have also cited FNM as an influence... heck, Ill Nino even covered Zombie Eaters.

Anyway, glad this horrible genre is gone along with jnco jeans and all the other nonsense associated with it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nu-Metal is another one of those genres that just seems to attract fucking awful cheesball names too. Limp Bizkit, Morbid Angel, Sodom, Kreator, Amen, urgh.

I mean:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Indestructible.jpg[img]

Jesus, give me strength![/QUOTE]

Some of those are death and thrash metal, dude.

Metalheads will kill you for even linking them with nu-metal. :P

Also deftones and system of a down are awesome band names, but maybe I'm biased.

edit: actually out of those I'm pretty sure only limp bizkit is nu-metal.

I've retained a surprising amount of metal info.

NinjaBoiX

Some of those are death and thrash metal, dude.

Metalheads will kill you for even linking them with nu-metal. :p

Also deftones and system of a down are awesome band names, but maybe I'm biased.
I got them from the OP, talk to him!

Edit:yes, Deftones is a very cool name. SOAD is a little laboured for me though.

NinjaBoiX

Haha, did this goofball really call Kreator, Sodom and Morbid Angel nu metal just now?
I missed the part where the OP segregated them from nu-metal. I don't listen to metal, I'm not a fan.

But yes, from the names, I'd probably avoid them from the off. They just sound like cheese balls with names like that.

Rezbit

Haha man holy shit so many memories after looking at that list. Used to love Korn and even even Significant Other from Limp Bizkit, but about the time Chocolate Starfish or whatever it was called hit I started to cotton on that the whole nu-metal genre was a load of shit. I think I know songs from all those bands. Crazy times.

Also, Snot was probably punk more than anything, and Deftones, Incubus and Tool probably don't belong, they just happened to be popular at the same time and also feature grungy guitars. I still love Tool.

Branson

God damn. Nostalgic trip all up in here. I've listened to most of this since I was big into it back in the day. I still enjoy disturbed, slipknot, and stuff today. They have kind of made their own sound out of the genre I feel like. Is seven dust really nu metal? I've always thought of them as hard rock. Still like them too. Most of these bands except Korn, limp biz, have progressed to a point that's out of the genre and have gotten better from it. Mostly into hard rock. Stone Sour is one of Corey Taylor's best things he's ever done. Love them.

bart jr

Neo Member
I was really into nu-metal in junior high and into my first couple years of high school. I moved on to punk/hardcore, but I still love reminiscing with friends about most of the bands listed earlier in this thread. I feel like 90% of the songs didn't hold up well over time, but I'll still throw on a few albums for old times sake.

Chimaira - Pass Out of Existence was a favorite of mine.

The following compilation was an essential for all those into Nu-Metal:

89504.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
Mother of god. Do you guys even read? I never said Tool was nu-metal.

I'll bold it for you just incase:

I never said Tool was nu-metal. Please read my original post (carefully) and then the follow-up (carefully again), then read this if you still can't get it through your thick skull.

Also, I'm not just 'some guy' or 'some clown.' Please refer me to my username. It's not that hard.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One of my favorite numetal bands was Project 86. These two albums were really good:

Drawing Black Lines

5Bghw8f.jpg

One-Armed Man
Set Me Up
Stein's Theme
Chimes

Truthless Heroes

0Jfnmds.jpg

Team Black
Hollow Again
Little Green Men
Another Boredom Movement

Project 86 nu-metal? You crazy son. Maybe their early stuff, like you posted yeah, but their more recent stuff is pretty much not. But I love P86 too; "...And the Rest Will Follow" is an amazing album.

The only nu-metal band I listened to a lot was Thousand Foot Krutch.
I didn't stay around nu-metal that long, moved on to other genres really quick.

Seanspeed

Banned
Chimaira - Pass Out of Existence was a favorite of mine.
Chimaira are actually really good. And Pass Out of Existence is really the only album I'd possibly consider 'nu metal'. Their music has been pretty brutal since then. None of the metal-lite elements most nu metal bands have. I'd classify them more with bands like Lamb of God and Machine Head overall.

bart jr

Neo Member
Chimaira are actually really good. And Pass Out of Existence is really the only album I'd possibly consider 'nu metal'. Their music has been pretty brutal since then. None of the metal-lite elements most nu metal bands have. I'd classify them more with bands like Lamb of God and Machine Head overall.

I completely agree, but for some reason Pass Out of Existence was the only album I really got into. I appreciated their progression, as my later musical tastes gravitated towards that style, but it just didn't sit with me the way POoE did.

jmdajr

Chimaira????

That band isn't bad!

I hate (I hate) everyone!
I hate (I hate)
And I hate and I hate everyone!

Seanspeed

Banned
Project 86 nu-metal? You crazy son. Maybe their early stuff, like you posted yeah, but their more recent stuff is pretty much not. But I love P86 too; "...And the Rest Will Follow" is an amazing album.
Haven't listened to them in quite a while. Kinda stopped listening to most 'nu metal' stuff a while back. I still like a lot of it, but its not stuff I listen to regularly or anything.

I dont know why they wouldn't be nu metal, though. I guess they didn't have the angsty whining that a lot of the stuff around the time did, but its still not too far from the other stuff, musically. I love the singer. He's my favorite part. Its a very militaristic, commanding voice.

FYC

Banned
Incubus Nu-metal?

Get out.

They're fucking amazing

Hey, I just said S.C.I.E.N.C.E is kind of nu-metaly. Y'know? It's more similar to Primus I suppose but it's a trip, it's got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it.

Get Deftones out of your list. No one calls it nu-metal anymore, because it never was. Thanks.

Deftones, Nu Metal? :(

I has a sad.

I think their early albums sorta are. Still, I think people who like this kinda shtuff would dig 'em, so I'll keep it on there with the disclaimer.

There should really a limit of 3-4 YouTube clips per post. Threads like this bog down my phone so Fucking bad.

Nu-Metal ruins people folks. Save them early on, or forever pray for the souls of their musical taste.

Oh man, I'm really sorry about that. I don't use mobile or any YouTube plugins so I completely forgot.

RIP Vyroxis' friend

OP left out Mike Patton on nu metal: "I feel no responsibility for that, it's their mothers' fault, not mine."

Added!

Haha, did this goofball really call Kreator, Sodom and Morbid Angel nu metal just now?

If you're referring to me, no way! Put those as examples of, well, actual metal.

C'mon OP, way to cop out and bow to all the people who are "too cool" for nu metal. If you like nu metal, then it doesn't matter if somebody on GAF says it sucks. GAF says everything sucks. Wear it proudly, dude.

To be fair, I sort of thought this was just gonna be a thread of people piling on me and I hate myself so I wanted to joke around with it. Surprising outcome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom