• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nu Metal Thread - 9guys1band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Djent from the likes of Tesseract, Skyharbor, Chimp Spanner, and Animals As Leaders seem like the latest iteration of nu-metal.

Tesseract_One_thumb%25255B3%25255D.png

Tesseract
Album: One

Nascent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwXgfJklfg
Eden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBFxpH9N4G4

skyharborcover.jpg

Skyharbor
Album: Blinding White Noise : Illusion & Chaos

Order 66: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjMrjTA7Ai4
Maeva: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-wA3vLSl8

61co-eKiAXL._SX300_.jpg

Chimp Spanner
Album: All Roads Lead Here

Dark Age of Technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtMxYzs8Ygs
Möbius I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwhuMKJPRE

I wish I could find a djent band that I remotely like... but I fear it's not going to happen. and man those electronics in the chimp spanner songs are just awful. if you are going to introduce electronic/ambient elements you better do it right.

anyway, at most djent is the new metalcore. of course maybe metalcore is, or was, the new nu metal...

jmdajr

Metal Core has done ok, but I don't think any band has achieved more than GOLD, which is fine. Is you can believe Slayer has never had a platinum album in the U.S.

To be fair it was before the sound scan era. But yeah technically Reign in Blood is still only GOLD. 500,000+

jmdajr

Having watched all those Metal Evolution Episodes, pretty much the only genre that straight up is ashamed of being associated with metal...any metal, is grunge. Nu Metal as much as it's hated embraced that it has elements of it.

To be fair Alice in Chains and the Melvins said they had influences, and we all know Kurt Cobain liked it. But overall, they want nothing to do anything with it. I guess because grunge is REAL, stripped down, personal etc.

Makes sense I guess because whether you have this...
Poison-Look-What-the-Cat-Dragged-In.jpg

or this
Reign_in_blood.jpg

It's over the top.

hell even this is out there...
Slipknot_-_Slipknot2.jpg

But this?
PearlJam-Ten2.jpg

It's just a bunch of dudes. Get out of bed and get on stage.

I think I have always been attracted to over the top music whether it's on the pop or heavy side. Cold Play is just not something I will be listening too. Easy listening to me is like Nine Inch nails.

I can't say Grunge was not fun at all. Looking back Smells like Teen spirit is a great video with all the kids destroying the gym and all. I would have loved to have gone to one of their shows. It would have been awesome.

anyways...

SKINNER!

Banned
I found it interesting that Alice Cooper is very OTT in this image/concerts and yet he successfully managed to pull off writing and singing a serious, down to earth song about an abusive marriage.

EDIT: thought this was the 80s metal thread. Still applies I suppose.

jmdajr

I found it interesting that Alice Cooper is very OTT in this image/concerts and yet he also successfully managed to pull off writing and singing a serious, down to earth song about an abusive marriage.

That's another thing. It's no fair to say that 100% of all metal/rock bands sing songs without substance. But people will always think of the image first.

Korn's stuff wasn't exactly sex, drugs or the zombie apocalypse. Perhaps people think it's just faux rage. I'm sure they didn't think so.

Revolver

Fuck Yes Coal Chamber! hahaha.

Saw them open up for Pantera. Definitely some fun music.

I saw them at Ozzfest years ago. They were pretty good live. They were just touring with Sevendust and Lacuna Coil. Would've liked to have seen that show but they didn't come close enough.

FYC

Banned
Thought this might be of interest to SOAD fans: Shavo talks about delays, SOAD confirms band is still working together

Might as well try to recommend something every post. This is the only album I have by them, but 3 by Soulfly is pretty decent. Nothing special, but an enjoyable album nonetheless. If you like Soulfly, I'd also recommend Sepultura up to and including Roots, although the albums before Roots are thrash / death for the most part. However, they're fucking amazing.

STUwoAt.jpg

Noema

I fucking loathed Nu-Metal back in the day. I guess I'm a bit older than most GAFers so that might have something to do with it; I cut my teeth on Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer so when Nu-Metal exploded into the mainstream most of it sounded pretty simplistic and contrived and really, really dumb, like it was aimed at 12 year olds. I also hated how you couldn't buy a guitar magazine in the late 90's / early 00's that wasn't 95% about Nu-Metal players. I wanted to read about people who could actually play, dammit!

I do admit that I really liked Korn's first album. And I also liked Static-X, though I don't know if they could really be classified as Nu-Metal.

FYC

Banned
at the end of august - 36 crazyfists

really liked this album when it came out. not entirely sure 36 crazyfists were nu-metal but they certainly became popular at about the same time.

I'm not sure it's nu-metal but I simply must thank you for introducing me to this album, The Heart And The Shape is my fucking jam now. Need more shit like this.

Anyone still like Limp Bizkit as much as me?

They can be absolutely / fucking / terrible but I think their first album has some good stuff.

There was a Gold Cobra thread a while back, haha.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but Slipknot's first album absolutely slayed my ass. I've been a fan of theirs ever since I heard it at a friend's house way back in '99.

And I don't care what anyone says, Nu Metal or otherwise, Mudvayne's LD 50 is just a great record.

Hah, just found out that Soulfly is playing in my city next month. Never saw them live.
Good thing about the low popularity of Nu Metal is that the bands also come to smaller cities/clubs. Pay 20€ and basically walk there ;D
Same club had DevilDriver and Ill Nino this year :)

Though I just checked their new album and doesn't really sound like old Soulfly haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dG23D1-P8

MaestroKnux

I went to one of their concerts 2 months back, this was in Asbury Park, NJ and it was Anti-Radio night. They played many songs from their first album and unquestionable truth, I think it was like, probably one of their best concerts to date because it was that bloody awesome.

Needless to say I can admit that I only like them for 3 Dollar Bill Y'all and Truth. They're other albums are cool but their first album was more musically inclined. (Ironic right?)

Seanspeed

Banned
Currently cleaning out the house, getting ready to move, and I found an old CD with a bunch of random songs on it. I couldn't find it on Youtube, so I uploaded this song I found myself as I always thought it was pretty good. They later changed the song up a bunch for their main album release and I didn't like it as much.

Burn Season - Carry On(demo version)

@Godofnerdiness - Crossbreed were pretty cool. For me, it was the first band that proved electronic and metal music could go together well.

rObit

Banned
I see they were mentioned on the first page, but I just remembered that Skillet's "Collide" was an amazing album. I'd call it the best nu metal album ever, but I suppose that my nostalgia may be clouding my judgement on that one.

Skillet - Imperfection

Skillet - Savior (warning: stupid comic-sans lyric video)

Currently cleaning out the house, getting ready to move, and I found an old CD with a bunch of random songs on it. I couldn't find it on Youtube, so I uploaded this song I found myself as I always thought it was pretty good. They later changed the song up a bunch for their main album release and I didn't like it as much.

Burn Season - Carry On(demo version)

Never heard of these guys, but I dig it. I probably would've really liked them back when I was way into this kind of music.

Mdk7

I do. I saw them live in Milan a couple of weeks ago, it was a SICK show.
Had so much fun in the mosh pit, really... pretending it was 2002. :p
But i always have lots of fun when seeing them live, yet i basically never, ever listen to their songs on cd/mp3/whatever.

And 3 days after that i saw KoRn, again one hell of a concert.
It was actually the 7th time i saw them live, and they were as great as ever... soooo much better than the last tours, really. Davis is in great shape once again, and Head fucking rocked.
Can't wait for their new album, really!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Listening to the first Soulfly album right now. Loved this shit back when it came out. It ain't bad.

FYC

Banned
I love The Unquestionable Truth Pt. 1. The rest, not so much. Gold Cobra is quite good, though.

Wow, I had no idea this EP existed... It's... Surprisingly solid? Fred's got a Zack de la Rocha thing going on.

I've got an idea, I THINK I'LL JUST BECOME A PRIEST! DECEIVING THEM WITH MY BELIEF!

sweet

Listening to the first Soulfly album right now. Loved this shit back when it came out. It ain't bad.

Soulfly is a pretty solid band. Their only CD I own is III which is decent, but there's very little discussion I can find about it. Eh.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Soulfly is a pretty solid band. Their only CD I own is III which is decent, but there's very little discussion I can find about it. Eh.
Yeah, I fell out of touch with them after their second album came out. I heard in passing today that they have a new album coming out, so it put them back on my radar, at least on a nostalgic level. Ha, and holy shit I just checked, they have eight albums — was not aware of that.

Next nostalgic listen of the night:

Yv5bihh.jpg

Was introduced to these guys when I saw them open for System of a Down and Fear Factory in January '99. What a crazy show that was.

Yeah, I fell out of touch with them after their second album came out. I heard in passing today that they have a new album coming out, so it put them back on my radar, at least on a nostalgic level. Ha, and holy shit I just checked, they have eight albums — was not aware of that.

Next nostalgic listen of the night:

Yv5bihh.jpg

Was introduced to these guys when I saw them open for System of a Down and Fear Factory in January '99. What a crazy show that was.

Yeah, Nothingface was kind of good, although this cover...
NOTHINGFACE-PACIFIER.jpg

It was just screaming "buy me, buy me, I sound just like KoRn!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YGEQCgXQ8 (riff at 2:30 is quite amazing)

FYC

Banned
New Skindred song - Ninja

Album coming out later this year. Pretty fun band, song's okay.

18 second teaser for a new Korn song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsXaF1DjuQ

Last 9 seconds are kinda groovy but Never Never was terrible

New Soulfly song - Bloodshed

Eh... Well the new album is out in October if you're interested.

Love and Death music video - Meltdown

The lyrics... Oh dear...

Well, I'm gonna listen to some Bad Brains today. Peace

MaestroKnux

New Skindred song - Ninja

Album coming out later this year. Pretty fun band, song's okay.

18 second teaser for a new Korn song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsXaF1DjuQ

Last 9 seconds are kinda groovy but Never Never was terrible

New Soulfly song - Bloodshed

Eh... Well the new album is out in October if you're interested.

Love and Death music video - Meltdown

The lyrics... Oh dear...

Well, I'm gonna listen to some Bad Brains today. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsX_HzBK14Y | Much better preview of Love and Meth. Also, Never Never wasn't TOO bad but yeah it was a troller.

MaestroKnux

I like this a lot better, never never was really damn boring and had me worried that the whole album was gonna be like half dubstep.
There are electronics in the album but not as heavy as TPOT. So far Victimize, Spike in My Veins, and Never Never has some sort of electronic based music in it. Victimize is said to be a "DrumStep" song but Ray is still on the drums with it. So you'll hear a little Drum n Bass on that one. Other than that, there's not much other songs that features electronic cameos.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I love system of a down.
Disturbed, Slipknot, and Korn are pretty good too.
I don't care for linkin park

Disturbeds Believe Is a great album.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
haven't really kept up with this thread. any deadsy fans in the house ? I know they aren't nu metal but they use to tour with korn back in the day.

vatstep

The+Height+of+Callousness++png.png

This album rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom