• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nu Metal Thread - 9guys1band

Status
Not open for further replies.

rObit

Banned
Is Breaking Benjamin considered nu-metal? 'Cause I'll go back to Breaking Benjamin every few months and still enjoy the hell out of it.

Toski

Well shit, that doesn't sound to my liking...
Its not to my liking either, which is why I've stopped caring about them. Mike can actually rap, its disappointing he didn't make a follow up to The Rising Tied.
Is Breaking Benjamin considered nu-metal? 'Cause I'll go back to Breaking Benjamin every few months and still enjoy the hell out of it.

Nu-Metal or Post-Grunge, take your pick.

AdventureMike said:
Serious question, what kind of things do you mean by the bolded?
It seems after Meteora, when Nu-Metal died, they tried to change their sound to be "less Nu-Metal" and more mainstream. To me, they wanted to be relevant to people that didn't like HT/Meteora and who slagged them (Hipsters). MtM was a departure, but ATS was pure abandonment from their roots.

It seems after Meteora, when Nu-Metal died, they tried to change their sound to be "less Nu-Metal" and more mainstream. To me, they wanted to be relevant to people that didn't like HT/Meteora and who slagged them (Hipsters). MtM was a departure, but ATS was pure abandonment from their roots.

Ahh, I get what you're saying. Yes, I completely agree in that case. Though with their latest album I feel like they're dialing it back a bit but at the same time, it is still much more in the realm of MtM and ATS than anything near HT. There are things I loved about MtM, but god damn it is not the Linkin Park I wish they were still haha.

jmdajr

I see what you mean by Linkin Park.

They went Def Leppard. Heck, Def Leppard could rock pretty damn good. Then, I don't know what happened..they became fucking easy listening or something.

I see what you mean by Linkin Park.

They went Def Leppard. Heck, Def Leppard could rock pretty damn good. Then, I don't know what happened..they became fucking easy listening or something.

Basically, yes. You got it.

That being said, within their new genre, there are some decent songs but it doesn't sound like HT Linkin Park.

jmdajr

I dunno about trying to put this into some kind of "heaviness" scale. A lot of nu metal was extremely downtuned and heavy, and some of it, like System of a Down was downright difficult and complex at times. I don't like how it was marketed, and outside of a handful of bands that pushed boundaries and mostly did their own thing, most of the bands at the time were cartoony junk that seemed about as substantial as a 98 Degrees record in terms of both music and image.

That step for younger people now is the same as it always was. Hardcore. Although I think a lot of the kids who would have listened to nu metal back then would just be into dubstep/IDM now.

As for the guy who asked about nu metal via Slipknot being picked up by the kids over the last couple years, just look at any crappy crabcore or deathcore band that had poppy choruses. Of Mice and Men and the infamous Attack Attack are examples of bands that took that turn as "scene" was sounding the death rattle.

wtf is crabcore

agrajag

Banned
Honestly, I think all the metalcore, screamo, deathcore, crabcore stuff is much worse for metal than nu metal ever was. It's literally ruining metal.

quickwhips

Deftones around the fur is an amazing album. Also Snot album is really great. The rest I couldn't listen to anymore as I got older.

You guys don't remember that hilarious Attack Attack video that was all over the Internet awhile back where the guitarists get into these amazing crab-like positions?

It's not a real genre, just a funny way to refer to those types of bands.

Holeeee shieeet. No, no I missed this part of the internet. Christ it looks like they're playing the rock band fisher-price guitars when they do that.

Greg

Honestly, I think all the metalcore, screamo, deathcore, crabcore stuff is much worse for metal than nu metal ever was. It's literally ruining metal.
Nothing is ruining metal. More music exists across all genres than ever before, so it feels that way because there's more garbage to sift through. For every Spawn of Possession there's 20 uninteresting technical death metal bands - that doesn't mean the genre is suddenly bad.

I think the popularity of some of these bands is great though - they're gateways for a lot of people to different genres, and it also leads to some interesting hybrid bands.

jmdajr

I don't know about metalcore (I like quite a bit of it), but small rant.

Say what you will about 80s Glam/Grunge/Nu Metal..but they all had powerful vocals in their own way. Some of the bands these days. Weakest, whiniest, wimpiest vocals I have ever heard. Even Bret Micheals must be LOLOLOLOL.I remember getting Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil after liking the previous one and I was like. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED. Did this dude get castrated? You can have melody without sounding like a bitch.

This epic letter (I don't use that word lightly) was their second moment of mind blowing hilarity. Off-topic, I know, but relevant in the sense that I don't think nu metal ever had moments as low as this for all the hate they get.

I just....wut? I don't want to stop and say "What did I just read?" because that would be taking the easy way out.

That is one of the most unintelligable things I've ever read and I did read the entire thing. That kid needs some therapy, badly. From what I can surmise, his world view is completely bonkers and he is struggling to figure out where he fits in his fantasy land he has created in his noggin.

Once again, therapy, stat.

Went to see Limp Bizkit in Buffalo last night and it was a good show. Great live band. They played 4-5 songs off $3 Bill Ya'all (which is my favorite album of theirs) and overall it was a good show. Even some of the songs off their later albums that I would generally skip over sounded good live. The only song I didn't really get into that they played was "Gold Cobra" off their latest album. Other than that thought...Great show. Wes, Sam and John are great musicians that know how to entertain. And Fred is Fred, but he wasn't nearly as eye-rolling as I expected.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Did we ever get a ruling as to whether or not System of a Down qualifies as "nu-metal"?

I really hope not. I think they kinda transcend classification, especially after Mesmerize/Hypnotize

jmdajr

Did we ever get a ruling as to whether or not System of a Down qualifies as "nu-metal"?

I really hope not. I think they kinda transcend classification, especially after Mesmerize/Hypnotize

wikki says

Alternative metal, progressive rock, hard rock, experimental

really you think hipsters listen to linkin park?
they just tried to stay commercially relevant after the nu metal fad died off. I also have a hard time talking about "roots", they're a pop band, always have been, they just happened to use heavy guitars back when it was popular.

Greg

If you enjoy their sound, what does it matter?

Most of the bands don't really belong in the genre though. A lot of the bands were just lableled as nu-metal at the time because they weren't exactly rock or traditional metal - most would simply fall into a more broad alternative metal category today.

jay

I like to tell this story in every thread: I saw Limp Bizkit open for Faith No More in '96, I think it was. They sucked, as they tend to do, and the audience booed them. When they left the stage, the guitarist in a corset threw a bottle into the audience. Then, during FNM's first song or so, Patton pointed to Hudson and said, "This is called a guitar solo," which could only be interpreted as mocking LB.

I can't stand nu-metal, but I always hear rave things about Deftones (and see people argue about it being nu metal/not nu metal).

Should I check out Deftones?

jmdajr

It doesn't, was just kinda curious. I don't like when I hear them referred to as a nu metal band though.

Funny watching all these Evolution Heavy Metal docs.

So many bands don't want to be labeled glam rock, nu metal, or even grunge.

Every band wants to be unique, but trends are trends I suppose.

Jon Davis of Korn says he basically has to accept being some kind of Nu Metal Godfather.
He's not too happy about it, but he just rolls with it.

edit: currently watching the prog metal one.

FYC

Banned
You should all watch this.

Metal Evolution- Nu metal

fredd_zps6ac42921.jpg
metalevo_zps4a7a8d31.jpg
nu_zps7fa89e3e.jpg

This guy does a documentary on all the sub genre's, and this one is about good ol' nu metal.
It's worth a spin to see what this metal purest thinks of it. A lot is his opinion along with the history, so don't take it all as fact.
It's not just some dude on Youtube with a crappy show, it aired on VH1 as a series. It's done well.

edit: Love it when John Davis blames Fred Durst for starting the Woodstock riots.

Been wanting to watch this forever, thank you. Did I spy an Effigy Of The Forgotten poster?

This thread is where good taste goes to die.

:(

I like to tell this story in every thread: I saw Limp Bizkit open for Faith No More in '96, I think it was. They sucked, as they tend to do, and the audience booed them. When they left the stage, the guitarist in a corset threw a bottle into the audience. Then, during FNM's first song or so, Patton pointed to Hudson and said, "This is called a guitar solo," which could only be interpreted as mocking LB.

Yeesh, kinda shitty to throw a bottle at the audience. Still, pairing nu metal bands with... Not nu metal bands almost never goes well.

Never understood the hate (that is not due to laughable metal-elitism).
I can only relate it to hating the target group, aka teenagers, often enough the "OMG I'm so hardcore and angry and stuff" kind. But the music itself is awesome.
Nowadays that target group listens to some other shit (I guess a few years ago it was emo stuff? Don't know about today), so we can all enjoy some more diverse, more melodic metal. Also you can actually understand the lyrics.

Still listening to many of the bands mentioned in this thread.

Toski

really you think hipsters listen to linkin park?
they just tried to stay commercially relevant after the nu metal fad died off. I also have a hard time talking about "roots", they're a pop band, always have been, they just happened to use heavy guitars back when it was popular.
I never said Hipsters listen to Linkin Park, I said Linkin Park was trying to get "Hipster Cred" and keep up with the changing music scene. When Mike goes on his spiels about Linkin Park has no "genre," and they never went past Nu-Metal in "heaviness," I just shake my damn head. Wouldn't be surprised if the next album is a "back to roots."

Seanspeed

Banned
I dunno about trying to put this into some kind of "heaviness" scale. A lot of nu metal was extremely downtuned and heavy, and some of it, like System of a Down was downright difficult and complex at times. I don't like how it was marketed, and outside of a handful of bands that pushed boundaries and mostly did their own thing, most of the bands at the time were cartoony junk that seemed about as substantial as a 98 Degrees record in terms of both music and image.

That step for younger people now is the same as it always was. Hardcore. Although I think a lot of the kids who would have listened to nu metal back then would just be into dubstep/IDM now.

As for the guy who asked about nu metal via Slipknot being picked up by the kids over the last couple years, just look at any crappy crabcore or deathcore band that had poppy choruses. Of Mice and Men and the infamous Attack Attack are examples of bands that took that turn as "scene" was sounding the death rattle.
The heaviness scale certainly has a lot to do with it. Its far less heavy and complex than the majority of 'real' metal music, according to 'real' metal fans. Arguing about their 'substantialness' seems pointless to me as well. Personally, I think there's a load of death metal that acheives about ZERO in terms of their substantialness. How do you define that term anyways?

And what is this 'hardcore' step you're talking about? That can cover a pretty broad range of stuff and very little of it is anything close to accessible.

Frankly, metal/hardcore fans mostly LIKE it that their music isn't accessible and that there is no stepping stone. There's always been an element of elitism to it. They dont want the masses to like it, which is why they hated nu metal so much because it was bridging a gap they didn't want bridged.

friday

man Coal Chamber is so terrible. Trends can be so harsh sometimes. Yesterdays Nu-metal is todays brostep (wubwub).

Yeah, yeah, sorry I just woke up. meant melodic death metal.
the point was he's not doing more nu metal stuff as people in here might look for that.

I saw a concert around 2002ish that had System of a Down, Mudvayne, and Slipknot. It was the craziest concert I have ever attended in my life. It topped Manson, Slayer, and even GWAR. It was insane.

I love seeing people deny certain bands are not Nu Metal, like Incubus. The OP straight up nailed that. I saw them in concert with System of a Down, twice during the late 90's. They toured together because they were both Nu Metal. Incubus expanded into much more radio friendly territory with later albums and drifted heavily away from the Nu Metal scene.

Good on the OP for mentioning SNOT too. They often get overlooked.

Most music is just so... unexciting. There's no soul to it. I like things that are unique, have some heart, or just sound different. That's why I love everything from Death Grips to Regina Spektor. Any music that sounds/feels genuine will grab my ear. Nu Metal often manages to get me pumped and that's pretty damn rare these days for music to have that effect.

I feel that Static-X is one of the most consistent bands to come out of the Nu Metal scene. Every album is guaranteed to have at least a handful of blood pumping songs.

I've seen Mudvayne 3 times in concert. One time was in a hole in the wall in Detroit just after they released their second album. They were late for their set and this place was packed chest to back deep. I remember it was 10 below outside and 100 inside so everyone still had coats on or in their hands despite the intense heat in there. Suddenly the lights shut off and the music kicked in, out comes Mudvayne. The lead singer walks right up to the very edge of the stage and in a half singing, growling voice he declares "I FUCKING HATE. YOU. AAAALLLLLL!" and launches straight into "Under My Skin". It was magical. That tiny venue was electric.

After grunge, I think Nu Metal was the last genre that I "discovered" and helped become poplular. Well, Industrial was in there somewhere too. Since then, other genres have been pretty lame to me. Stuff like trance, dubstep, and other techno/pop type stuff has never caught my ear.

We need another type of metal to surface!

Djent from the likes of Tesseract, Skyharbor, Chimp Spanner, and Animals As Leaders seem like the latest iteration of nu-metal.

Tesseract_One_thumb%25255B3%25255D.png

Tesseract
Album: One

Nascent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwXgfJklfg
Eden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBFxpH9N4G4

skyharborcover.jpg

Skyharbor
Album: Blinding White Noise : Illusion & Chaos

Order 66: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjMrjTA7Ai4
Maeva: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-wA3vLSl8

61co-eKiAXL._SX300_.jpg

Chimp Spanner
Album: All Roads Lead Here

Dark Age of Technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtMxYzs8Ygs
Möbius I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwhuMKJPRE

I never said Hipsters listen to Linkin Park, I said Linkin Park was trying to get "Hipster Cred" and keep up with the changing music scene. When Mike goes on his spiels about Linkin Park has no "genre," and they never went past Nu-Metal in "heaviness," I just shake my damn head. Wouldn't be surprised if the next album is a "back to roots."

90% of musicians I think don't like to be labeled, it's nothing new. and to me it's clear that linkin park wanted to be a mainstream pop rock band that people with limited musical knowdledge could listen along Muse or Red Hot Chili Peppers (and they largely succeded, so good for them, it wasn't easy). this has nothing to do with indie credibility.

jmdajr

After grunge, I think Nu Metal was the last genre that I "discovered" and helped become poplular. Well, Industrial was in there somewhere too. Since then, other genres have been pretty lame to me. Stuff like trance, dubstep, and other techno/pop type stuff has never caught my ear.

We need another type of metal to surface!

So you are not down with metalcore? Shadows Fall and the like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom