• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

I reached the "rental" point

I love the setting way too much to discard the game completely, but it still doesn't scream 60$ to me

This is how I feel. The setting is amazing, but that's not enough for $60. Once I finish the campaign, what's there to go back to?

The lack of multiplayer in this is confusing. This could be their Gears if they wanted it to be.

Yep. It's what I've been saying ad naseum for months as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The lack of multiplayer in this is confusing. This could be their Gears if they wanted it to be.
RaD is a smallish studio working on their first AAA game and wanted to focus on delivering a single player experience first. If there's a sequel, I'm sure they'll have MP but they wanted to kick off the series in a single player focused way. I do hope they bundle an Uncharted beta or something with it though.

Did you really just thank someone for posting the only negative comment about this demo so far after trying to discredit and ignore all the positive ones?
No you got it wrong I thanked him for agreeing this is a Gaming forum where people can post their opinions, I'm checking the positive impressions don't get me wrong

Jigolo

This. Sony keeps doubling down on single player like its 1996 again.
GAF seems not to have an issue with TNO and RE4 which are also single player only. If this game gets knocked for that, then why didn't they knock it for these two games?

Zombine

Banned
RaD is a smallish studio working on their first AAA game and wanted to focus on delivering a single player experience first. If there's a sequel, I'm sure they'll have MP but they wanted to kick off the series in a single player focused way. I do hope they bundle an Uncharted beta or something with it though.

I expect this for The Order 2: Wolfman Boogaloo as well. An Uncharted beta is a wicked good idea.

I'd rather have a strong single player than a half assed campaign with multi player.

Whynotboth.gif

I played it earlier

Best looking game, the 30 fps is hella smooth, and the combat is very satisfying. It's not really pushing any innovations, but what's there is executed very well with superb production values.

Also, you can press sprint to cancel forced walks. Goty

You can skip forced walking? Netwrecker just came

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ibnEamZKMeKNSo.gif

This. Sony keeps doubling down on single player like its 1996 again.

On the other hand, many of us moan when a game gets multiplayer needlessly crowbarred in, so how can they possibly please everyone? I say go the Uncharted route, and if it's a big success and the gameplay solid think about expanding with MP modes in the sequel. I'd much rather they focus on a great campaign for their first original IP. Plus, RAD are as I recall only about 80 people, so no need to stretch themselves thin in order to tick a box.

Death2494

I Wonder if they can't bring MP later after the game has shipped. Unfortunately I don't see the value in $60. They should consider dropping it $40 to ensure more people buy it. I mean look at the resurgence of Shadow of Mordor sales after the price drop.

I plan on grabbing it but at a smaller price point

GAF seems not to have an issue with TNO and RE4 which are also single player only. If this game gets knocked for that, then why didn't they knock it for these two games?

RE4? Really? A game that came out in 2004, has been part of a historically single-player franchise, and has tons of other extras besides the campaign? What else does the Order have besides its campaign? I can't imagine that it will be too long either (TPS games don't typically have long campaigns).

And I don't know if you noticed, but TNO didn't really set the charts on fire, even on GAF. A few people made a lot of noise about it, but that's it.

delta25

Banned
It's a combination of a ton of elements. I'll break out a couple:

1) Lens
We stripped away the ability for lighting and FX to author full screen effects that are normal determined by a camera lens.

We created lens profiles/templates that set:

Lens curvature
Vignetting
Etc,

Both the gameplay cameras and cinematic cameras use these lenses templates.

2) We use depth of field for both in-game and cinematics. For the cinematics we animated the reference depth and "focus pull" as if it was a movie. For gameplay we set the reference depth based on what you are doing -- in cover we pull it in to further emphasize your limited visibility.
Any chance of an official art book in the future? By the way, the entire art team working on this game deserves a medal.

I love the Victorian London setting and the shotgun looks awesome. I also liked the more survival-horror feel from the E3 demo. I hope the game is able to jump back and forth between action and horror. I'm also hoping the story is good. I feel like there aren't a lot of games with interesting stories coming out.

Ishan

im also looking forward to the melee combat. Simply because rad developed the psp gow games so they have experience in fun combat.

The cutscenes are the best part of the game

Don't you mean the cutscnes are the game?

harharhar

Ok but really, this game looks great, but not really groundbreaking, which is really all I was expecting of it. Looks like a solid buy for me when it comes out.

LOL

Can't win 'em all, Net.

When it comes to cutscenes and forced walking it seems like I barely win at all.

Game developers pls (; _ ;)

Haven't played Max Payne 3 to compare, but...hopefully these are shorter?

It's not just that the ones in MP3 are long, they're incredibly frequent to the point that even the short cutaways become excruciating. Before, after, and sometimes during every shootout. It's ridiculous. I really hope this game doesn't suffer a similar fate. At the very least they seem to be doing the "interactive cutscene" stuff which MAY ease the pain a little bit. (no pun intended)

Ishan

If the gunplay feels as good as they're touting it to even a simple horde mode would be a great inclusion and add value. No MP for a game like this in 2015 is just stunningly naive.

I dont play mp in my games. Atmost ill give it a 15 min try. (eg in uc) If its really good like tlou ill play more but mp doesnt matter much to me. I'm sure there are many others like me. (I know my ex roommate also loved uc and he just replayed the campaign on harder modes rather than mp) No point just tacking it on .

I wonder if the people who are complaining about the lack of MP are still the same people who complain when we get tacked-on MP in games like Tomb Raider.

I'm confident that a sequel would likely have MP but for their first foray into a AAA console game, fair play to them.

I don't see how this is going to be worth $60 for me. . I had the chance to pre-order it but I passed.

Within the same week The Witcher 3 will be dropping. The Witcher 3 has such a larger scope than this game. It feels so linear without any reason to replay it. At least Gears had horde mode and multiplayer. This game will be another inFamous, great game to play but even better to rent. But hell at least inFamous can have two distinct paths. . it looks like 1886 will have one conclusion.

I might wait until it goes on sale in March.

Oxn

I dont play mp in my games. Atmost ill give it a 15 min try. (eg in uc) If its really good like tlou ill play more but mp doesnt matter much to me. I'm sure there are many others like me. (I know my ex roommate also loved uc and he just replayed the campaign on harder modes rather than mp) No point just tacking it on .

Do we atleast know if there are different difficulty modes?

I just want to know what reason there is to keep playing this game after the campaign.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we atleast know if there are different difficulty modes?

I just want to know what reason there is to keep playing this game after the campaign.
I'm sure it'll have different difficulties. They haven't said anything about it yet but it almost has to.

I also hope they allow us to load chapters from specific checkpoints. I know I replayed a lot of specific scenarios im KZ2 because of that.

This is totally going to be one of those games that's incredible on a first run and tedious second time through isn't it?

Day one though because I'm a sucker for a well crafted, story driven game and enjoy my horror, action adventure type games. Oh and a steam-punk Victorian London is one of the coolest settings for a video game ever.

It looks glorious, presentation, characters and sound design are all top notch and we;re hearing that the gunplay is pretty tight. That's all i need to know. I'll probably play it through a few times for the Platinum and then store it away for a few years so I can go in fresh again.

I don't understand the desire for MP just for the sake of it.

Everything that appeals to me about The Order would not carry over to multiplayer, I don't need it tacked on.

Top Bottom