• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Xtortionist, is there a manual camera shoulder switch? The tight FoV combined with these tight environments where you're pressed up against a lot of right angles looks like it needs a shoulder switch option.

This is totally going to be one of those games that's incredible on a first run and tedious second time through isn't it?

Day one though because I'm a sucker for a well crafted, story driven game and enjoy my horror, action adventure type games. Oh and a steam-punk Victorian London is one of the coolest settings for a video game ever.

It looks glorious, presentation, characters and sound design are all top notch and we;re hearing that the gunplay is pretty tight. That's all i need to know. I'll probably play it through a few times for the Platinum and then store it away for a few years so I can go in fresh again.

I feel the same. I rather wait until it is cheaper, play through it for 2 weeks then return it. I will probably do this during May and once I return it I'll put money down on some other pre-orders I'm hoping will come out in 2015 (The Division, MGS V, etc)

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.

pennstatucky-orange-is-the-new-black.jpg

Rand6

GAF seems not to have an issue with TNO and RE4 which are also single player only. If this game gets knocked for that, then why didn't they knock it for these two games?

Or Wolfenstein.

Or Bioshock Infinite. I still remember this thread : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501274

A few comment on the first page : "YESSSSSSSSS party time", "Good, not every game needs shitty tacked on MP. ", "I'm okay with this." "A victory for gaming.", "Awesome. ", "Great news.", "Thank god. ".

And it's only the first 10 replies lol.

And I don't know if you noticed, but TNO didn't really set the charts on fire, even on GAF. A few people made a lot of noise about it, but that's it.
I don't know if you noticed, but TNO is actually quite highly regarded on GAF, and for good reason. The gunplay/story was excellent.

I don't understand this need for MP in everything. Uncharted didn't need it, TLoU didn't need it. How much better could their campaigns have been if resources weren't put towards developing MP?

Smokey

My how this thread has taken a wonderful turn once people actually got to play it...

More of a shooter than Uncharted and yet U4 trumps them on gunplay, animations and CINEMATICS.

Games were excessively linear because of the limitations of the previous-gen's capabilities. The transition to HD did not help matters even further. Why do you think so many games this gen are far more open-ended and wider than before? It's because it's the evolution of game design based around the capabilities of better hardware. Corridor levels are done, outdated and clearly hampered by the technology it was built upon. Also, we're not talking about open-world here, only giving players a lot more room to interact with without getting stale. The fact that The Order: 1886 is so behind in terms of level design speaks volumes of their talent.

I wonder if RAD is still not talented? Probably one of the more disrespectful things I've seen on here in some time but hey

Thad great and all but at least you've actually played it.

I highly doubt THEBONDIGTY has actually played the game, especially when he's saying that this game is similar to Heavy Rain. I mean cmon. It's one thing if this isn't your cup of tea but at least try to be informed when you're gonna comment on the game. Negative or positive

That's totally fair.

Just to elaborate on my previous point, this game is ridiculously good-looking. Like, I couldn't believe what I was looking at, and that was an old build. It just has a great style to it.

So when I say it's for graphics junkies, I hope that doesn't come off too negative. I guess what I mean is that anyone who derives entertainment from graphics may find a lot of value in it. I find myself to be part of the minority where I simply don't really care about graphics all that much. Hell, I play games on my gaming PC on Medium/High settings just so I can get way over 60 FPS. =\

LifEndz

I don't understand the desire for MP just for the sake of it.

Everything that appeals to me about The Order would not carry over to multiplayer, I don't need it tacked on.

This. As with Uncharted, let them spend the first game focusing on the single player. If it's a success, and they have something they want to do in terms of MP, then let them explore that in the sequel.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's good, but I really like shoulder switching as well. Makes moving through an environment carefully more seamless rather than having to depend on the cover mechanic for positioning every time.

Interesting that while in cover they don't cheat with the shoulder-switch like TLoU and many other games do. Those games like RE6 and such actually flip the handedness of the player character during a shoulder switch in cover. This saves a ton on special animation and camera work. They just mirror everything instead of actually animating how a right-handed person would have to position themselves to shoot from the right side of a doorway or something like that. RAD actually animated all of it. Did not take the easy way out.

I'll be really surprised if they didn't do a shoulder switch (while not in cover) since it seems like it'd be pretty easy in comparison. You just slide perspective to the other side. Nothing else changes. And I love the opposite side view sometimes when a game retains handedness during a shoulder switch... it looks pretty cool sometimes.

This. As with Uncharted, let them spend the first game focusing on the single player. If it's a success, and they have something they want to do in terms of MP, then let them explore that in the sequel.

Yup. I know people love the MP in Uncharted but I honestly didn't even touch it really.

I bought the game, beat the campaign, and then put it away until I decided to play through it again. Never felt like my $60 was not justified because the experience was so good.

Lemondish

I don't know if you noticed, but TNO is actually quite highly regarded on GAF, and for good reason. The gunplay/story was excellent.

I don't understand this need for MP in everything. Uncharted didn't need it, TLoU didn't need it. How much better could their campaigns have been if resources weren't put towards developing MP?

You shut your whore mouth. That was one of the best multiplayer titles I've ever played. So tense. So much fun.

TLoU didn't need it per se, but what was there was excellent.
That all being said, I'll still take a solid, fully fleshed out single player experience over most MP any day of the week.
With all the supernatural stuff and steampunk-ish alternate history, The Order hits a lot of my pleasure centers, and these recent previews and impressions are very promising.

LifEndz

Yup. I know people love the MP in Uncharted but I honestly didn't even touch it really.

I bought the game, beat the campaign, and then put it away until I decided to play through it again. Never felt like my $60 was not justified because the experience was so good.

Same here. I played it once or twice, but that's about it. The single player is so good I'd rather replay that than mess around with the MP. TLOU really surprised me in how much I enjoyed that multiplayer, and that was a game where nothing about the campaign made me think I'd want to play the MP.

I wonder if this is something that "older" gamers don't care about and younger players do. I dunno if it's because I spent my childhood playing games with no online multiplayer, but I could never imagine saying a game isn't worth full MSRP because it has no MP.

Interesting that while in cover they don't cheat with the shoulder-switch like TLoU and many other games do. Those games like RE6 and such actually flip the handedness of the player character during a shoulder switch in cover. This saves a ton on special animation and camera work. They just mirror everything instead of actually animating how a right-handed person would have to position themselves to shoot from the right side of a doorway or something like that. RAD actually animated all of it. Did not take the easy way out.

I'll be really surprised if they didn't do a shoulder switch (while not in cover) since it seems like it'd be pretty easy in comparison. You just slide perspective to the other side. Nothing else changes. And I love the opposite side view sometimes when a game retains handedness during a shoulder switch... it looks pretty cool sometimes.

I do like that they didn't simply mirror the shouldering animation in cover, don't get me wrong. I'm speaking more about moving through the environment and adjusting the camera so that you don't end up in a position where a wall is taking up your entire right hand view even though the character happens to be out in the open. It really helps to keep sight lines clear, and make everything feel smooth.

Lemondish

More of a shooter than Uncharted and yet U4 trumps them on gunplay, animations and CINEMATICS.

Games were excessively linear because of the limitations of the previous-gen's capabilities. The transition to HD did not help matters even further. Why do you think so many games this gen are far more open-ended and wider than before? It's because it's the evolution of game design based around the capabilities of better hardware. Corridor levels are done, outdated and clearly hampered by the technology it was built upon. Also, we're not talking about open-world here, only giving players a lot more room to interact with without getting stale. The fact that The Order: 1886 is so behind in terms of level design speaks volumes of their talent.

Impressions from people actually there don't seem to be pointing this out as much of a problem. Once again we establish that the preference between open world and linear corridors is a subjective thing, for the most part. Many of the greatest games of last generation didn't lose one bit of their ability to provide a fun experience simply because they didn't drop you in a sandbox. I think there's still room for cinematic titles that take a more linear approach to the story, and developers seem to agree.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'll pile on and say that I don't think every damn game needs to add MP. There are studios that do this to add another feature to the back of the box (Far Cry 3) and it always feels like it was developed by the marketing department. No thanks!
If RAD wants to add co-op or can find a way to make competitive MP work well without drastically changing the game mechanics, then I'd welcome that in a sequel. For now though, I'm more than happy with a good story-driven shooter.

S.W.

I do like that they didn't simply mirror the shouldering animation in cover, don't get me wrong. I'm speaking more about moving through the environment and adjusting the camera so that you don't end up in a position where a wall is taking up your entire right hand view even though the character happens to be out in the open. It really helps to keep sight lines clear, and make everything feel smooth.

The camera bias is automatically set depends on which side of opening available when the player is inside the cover.
When the player is not in cover, clicking the touchpad can switch the camera to the other shoulder...

Hoje0308

Banned
It is when you're asking people to play $60 for it.

Nonsense post. I could come in and say that you're everything that's wrong with gaming, or assume that maybe you're just broke and need MP to milk all the hours you can out of a game. But I would be forgetting the fact that everyone has their own tastes and assuming that everyone should like what I do. There are many people that are perfectly happy with a SP only experience, hence the popularity of the RPG genre. Go ahead and look at the GOTY nominees and winners and you'll see plenty of SP experiences. If you don't think games without a MP component are worth your money, then don't buy them. But please refrain from assuming that a game isn't worth that much just because you need another bullet point on a list to pull out your wallet.

It's great to finally see this game get some good press and positive hands-on impressions. I've always believed in it and hopefully we get a good chunk of uncut show floor gameplay soon.

Better yet RAD and Sony could release some footage but that might be asking too much. :p

Single-player-only is fine, provided it has a very meaty campaign, solid replayability, or preferably both.

The worst case scenario for me would be a relatively short and overly scripted campaign where you've done all there is to do and seen all there is to see in one play-through. Hopefully the game can offer something worth keeping it around.

The camera bias is automatically set depends on which side of opening available when the player is inside the cover.
When the player is not in cover, clicking the touchpad can switch the camera to the other shoulder...

Yusssss, that's what I was asking about. Every third person shooter with an offset/over the shoulder perspective needs this option.

It is when you're asking people to play $60 for it.

I'm more than happy to pay that amount for a game with an excellent single player campaign, one in which the development team directed all their time and resources toward to ensure it was the best it could be. What I don't like paying for is a tacked-on multiplayer mode that I'll never play and only exists as a desperate attempt to prevent consumers from selling their copy of the game.

Hoje0308

Banned
Single-player-only is fine, provided it has a very meaty campaign, solid replayability, or preferably both.

The worst case scenario for me would be a relatively short and overly scripted campaign where you've done all there is to do and seen all there is to see in one play-through. Hopefully the game can offer something worth keeping it around.

My biggest concern now that the feel of the gunplay has been getting positive impressions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This looks like a solid two day rental. It would give me enough time to blast through the campaign if the graphics are good enough to keep me interested, and if not I can return it with no buyer's remorse.

Kane1345

I'm totally fine with it being only single player. A good beefy campaign with a great story, setting and well written characters is all I need to come back and play it over and over again probably on harder difficulties. Really looking forward to it

I don't understand the desire for MP just for the sake of it.

Everything that appeals to me about The Order would not carry over to multiplayer, I don't need it tacked on.

I would have thought the same for Uncharted and Last of Us.

I don't *need* MP in a first iteration of a new IP. But it'd be cool for a sequel because it feels like the weapons and Gears-like map control would work well

Top Bottom