• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put me on the list of people who love slow, quiet moments in games. I remember many people complaining about TLOU being too slow in the beginning and I totally enjoyed the fact.

As I normally do.

Same here, I get so absorbed in those moments and then when shit goes bat shit crazy it hits harder because of those slow, quiet moments.

tfur

But using CA and grain filter up to eleven is not aesthetics, its cheap way to make visual noise,

Nope, and it is not "up to eleven", and it is not just visual noise.

hell i can make this in pretty much every game with some shaders.

Please do, and get back to us when you have a video to show and tell.

and when it's not an option you can always just squint.

Even without the option, I haven't been bothered by film grain much.

The only game I actually ever turned it off in was The Evil Within. Not because I disliked the effect but because it fucked up the blacks in that game.

Even without the option, I haven't been bothered by film grain much.

The only game I actually ever turned it off in was The Evil Within. Not because I disliked the effect but because it fucked up the blacks in that game.

I didn't know TEW had CA. And I thought the blacks were supposed to look crushed in that game (it looked the same in other people's shots). Honestly. I checked twice if the gamma was calibrated correctly.

benzy

You posted screens with CA yourself a few posts ago :p

Check the wires in the first screenshot for example ;)

There isn't much of a distortion, you could even attribute the softness to varying dof. The colors practically look to converge pretty much at the same point in that screen, from the metal frames to the pipes to the characters.

I didn't know TEW had CA. And I thought the blacks were supposed to look crushed in that game. Honestly. I checked twice if the gamma was calibrated correctly.

Well the film grain in TEW introduced this weird blue hue for me instead of being black which bothered me a lot.

I spent a good hour thinking my brightness wasn't properly calibrated.

Yiazmat

uwijsb.gif

Holy shit, this looks so good.

Harmen

I know this game is probably not as technically as impressive as the most bleeding edge PC title as of now and uses many tricks to make up for the PS4's relative weakness, but I have never seen a game that looks this close to prerendered CGI. I looked at some stuff in the spoiler thread, and damn, this one is a treat.

Ricky_R

Uh-hu...

Sure you do.

Hahah, that's why I said normally. In TLOU it felt great, as well as the village and the, maybe not as slow, Tibetan ice caves in Uncharted 2.

I also enjoyed looking for Marlowe in London a lot. The desert walking and the drug trip not as much as you. I generally love the slow paced parts of games when done well.

Edit: Forgot to add how much I enjoyed young Drake's chapter, even with its install fail parts at the end, but that was after the slow paced moments anyway.

Why bother? Even if you show them videos and prove them wrong they gonna throw at you the $2k PC argument.

Ignorance is bliss.

To be fair, he's arguing that film grain and CA aren't aesthetic choices last I checked.

My opinion is that they are. We are at a disagreement. Him showing methods of implementing them in PC games doesn't particularly do anything.

It's clealry the intention of the devs for those two things to be there. The most he can hope for is an option to turn off film grain.

tfur

Ever heard about SweetFX or Reshade, let alone ENB?
http://reshade.me/

List of tested titles: http://reshade.me/compatibility

This is honestly your response to you stating this about The Order game graphics:

hell i can make this in pretty much every game with some shaders.

This is why I question your aesthetic sensibilities. You are going to have to live with the fact that RaD made a game that is incongruent with your standards.

mephixto

Banned
To be fair, he's arguing that film grain and CA aren't aesthetic choices last I checked.

My opinion is that they are. We are at a disagreement. Him showing methods of implementing them in PC games doesn't particularly do anything.

It's clealry the intention of the devs for those two things to be there. The most he can hope for is an option to turn off film grain.

There are lots of screens on the PC thread were people use the same amout of dirt post proccesing on games like Crysis 1 or Skyrim, wich visually hide and somewhat makes them more "cinematic". I even posted some shots on this thread a few pages back.

def sim

There are lots of screens on the PC thread were people use the same amout of dirt post proccesing on games like Crysis 1 or Skyrim, wich visually hide and somewhat makes them more "cinematic". I even posted some shots on this thread a few pages back.

IIRC, the poster who added the ridiculous amount of post processing effects to Crysis was doing it as a joke.

edit: whoops jumping into a middle of a conversation without context was a poor choice

Okay, what's your point? That it's being used to hide imperfections? It very well may.

OR it was a choice by the devs to implement it into the game. Given the focus of this game being cinematic.

Like I get it. If you hate film grain and/or CA, fine. But if not, what am I missing?

tfur

The shots you posted also do not look very good and do not fit the composition. You guys obviously do not seem to realize the difference.

LastNac

Hahah, that's why I said normally. In TLOU it felt great, as well as the village and the, maybe not as slow, Tibetan ice caves in Uncharted 2.

I also enjoyed looking for Marlowe in London a lot. The desert walking and the drug trip not as much as you. I generally love the slow paced parts of games when done well.

Edit: Forgot to add how much I enjoyed young Drake's chapter, even with its install fail parts at the end, but that was after the slow paced moments anyway.

It's to late, the damage is done.

cakefoo

But using CA and grain filter up to eleven is not aesthetics, its cheap way to make visual noise, hell i can make this in pretty much every game with some shaders.
I love how you can just redefine aesthetics.

And if CA and grain levels are at 11 in The Order, then your scale must be 30. You are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom