• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 seen its biggest week for console hardware since launch in the UK

Yeah that's true.

MS really needs to reconsider their strategy of holding their exclusives until the holidays. By now they should have learned that the 3rd party AAA games is all that's needed during this time of year. Especially this year, it feels like there are 74959 3rd party AAA games all competing for our attention and money this holiday (and almost all of them are underperforming).
But didn't you know, if you don't release all of your games in the holidays your games become invisible and everyone starts believing your console has no games.

I mean, that's what I gathered from reading lots of people here and online dismissing sonys release strategy so it must be true...

Ouch, the edginess is too much!

Look at this guy with more edges than Polygon.

c85.gif

:)

I kinda wasn't getting that attitude tbh.

Aside if you're looking for a 4K UHD player, the XB1S is still the weakest console of the two (and depending on the title by quite a bit at times)... and at the same price in most cases.
The uhd BR brings no advantage on the gaming side whatsoever (and all the PS4s are getting the HDR update afaik). #shrug.

Will be interesting to see how much the "cheapest 4k UHD BR player on the market" will have helped in November in the US when we have numbers.

That was probably the big thing. However, the bundles were more attractive in the US, and 1TB for the XBOS was pretty competitive itslef (can't recall any focus on a 1TB PS4s and PS4Pro was a bit up there). The marketing for the XBOS has also been quite heavy.

To us here PS4 is the best bet for getting the most out of gaming from a console, but that doesn't mean that's where the holiday shoppers at large are standing.

Elandyll

Banned
That was probably the big thing. However, the bundles were more attractive in the US, and 1TB for the XBOS was pretty competitive itslef (can't recall any focus on a 1TB PS4s and PS4Pro was a bit up there). The marketing for the XBOS has also been quite heavy.

To us here PS4 is the best bet for getting the most out of gaming from a console, but that doesn't mean that's where the holiday shoppers at large are standing.
We might have an idea of where things stand in the US (not precise numbers mind you) by the time PSX wraps up next Sunday.

Then again, we might not... (would MS silence be an indication of its own?)

Boke1879

I wonder if this also is the case for the US given that both of these markets are similar...

That's the million dollar question. The NPD cutoff I think was on the 26th. SO that will be interesting.

The deals with target and BB will be included in December NPD. Can't wait to see if Sony or MS have a Holiday "sale"

We might have an idea of where things stand in the US (not precise numbers mind you) by the time PSX wraps up next Sunday.

I would think so. MS wouldn't let up the opportunity to speak about it.

Vena

I would think so. MS wouldn't let up the opportunity to speak about it.

We probably won't hear of it until later this week or next week, regardless of how it occurred since all the data will take time to be collected and sorted. Also PR will want today/Cyber Monday sales for bigger numbers and wow-factors.

But it looks like the centralization of sales around this period continues to increase.

Unbelievable performance and you have to think this will likely be repeated in the US given how similar the markets are. I thought PS4 would be down from last BF because it was enormous but time to change that.

Holy shit what a performance

Doesn't this include the Pro launch? No way it would be down, sales + a lot of double-dipping would next-to-guarantee an increase from last year.

We probably won't hear of it until later this week or next week, regardless of how it occurred since all the data will take time to be collected and sorted. Also PR will want today/Cyber Monday sales for bigger numbers and wow-factors.

But it looks like the centralization of sales around this period continues to increase.
I know, I was just saying that MS saying nothing this week would be hinting at something too.

Oh, and I don't think there were sales on Pro. At least nowhere near the extent of Slim. The launch of Pro wasn't included either.

Welfare

I know, I was just saying that MS saying nothing this week would be hinting at something too.

Oh, and I don't think there were sales on Pro. At least nowhere near the extent of Slim. The launch of Pro wasn't included either.
Microsoft did give out a very early PR on Black Friday. They also didn't release PR on Black Friday week last year until the Thursday after. Still plenty of time for them to comment.

Microsoft did give out a very early PR on Black Friday. They also didn't release PR on Black Friday week last year until the Thursday after. Still plenty of time for them to comment.
Yeah, I've acknowledged that. I'm talking about the possibility of them saying nothing and what that could mean.

We'll know for sure a picture of how things went down for both by next week.

I don't expect anything different from the previous holiday trends though.

Unknown?

Yeah, I've acknowledged that. I'm talking about the possibility of them saying nothing and what that could mean.
No follow up PR would mean they got blown out! Seriously even if they weren't #1 but they did very well they'd find a cringe worthy way to make it sound like they're the hottest thing around. No response at all would be like those months they didn't comment on NPD because they did so poorly.

Doesn't this include the Pro launch? No way it would be down, sales + a lot of double-dipping would next-to-guarantee an increase from last year.

I honestly just expected BF to be down quite a bit for PS4. Last years BF was enormous for Sony and I really only expect a max of 300k Pro's sold in November, and wasn't sure if that would be enough to make up the difference.

That said it looks like Sony will be up on BF anyways so its a wash

Vena

Not so much on sales on Pro, just the Pro in and of itself. Your first and second sentence seem to contradict and leave me a bit confused. On one hand you imply sales (though limited) on the other you say not counted, so I am puzzled, haha.

I honestly just expected BF to be down quite a bit for PS4. Last years BF was enormous for Sony and I really only expect a max of 300k Pro's sold in November, and wasn't sure if that would be enough to make up the difference.

That said it looks like Sony will be up on BF anyways so its a wash

A max of 300k?! How?

I'd expect something of a >>1% double-dipping rate on old customers who are power users.

But harken to our conversation in the NPD threads, it does look like this year should actually be up YoY for a good peak year. Unless the NPD is somehow catastrophic but I doubt that as, noted, the sales concentration around this period seems to continue to increase.

A max of 300k?! How?

I'd expect something of a >>1% double-dipping rate on old customers who are power users.

Because judging by its performance in both Japan and the UK it would have to have a statistically better performance in the US than it did in either of those countries to be over 300k.

It hasn't been a large seller in either territory

Vena

Because judging by its performance in both Japan and the UK it would have to have a statistically better performance in the US than it did in either of those countries to be over 300k.

It hasn't been a large seller in either territory

UK I'll give you, but I honestly wouldn't use the tirefire of Japan's home console industry as a barometer for much of anything.

UK I'll give you, but I honestly wouldn't use the tirefire of Japan's home console industry as a barometer for much of anything.

I mean the US and UK very very often mirror one another, and the Pro hasn't blown up there at all. Its done ok, but I'll be pretty surprised if Pro clears 300k. It would mean the US sees a lot more value in it than the territories we've seen so far. Not saying its impossible, it could be 500k for all I know but I'm not seeing much evidence of that sort of performance.

Unknown?

I mean the US and UK very very often mirror one another, and the Pro hasn't blown up there at all. Its done ok, but I'll be pretty surprised if Pro clears 300k. It would mean the US sees a lot more value in it than the territories we've seen so far.
Well it wouldn't need to blow up to sell significantly more in the US than U.K. Much larger territory. That said the Slim hasn't passed the Pro yet on the Amazon US yearly chart. So I'm sure it did decent and if that's any indication of other retailers then I'm sure it did enough to boost their sells from last year.

Well it wouldn't need to blow up to sell significantly more in the US than U.K. Much larger territory. That said the Slim hasn't passed the Pro yet on the Amazon US yearly chart. So I'm sure it did decent and if that's any indication of other retailers then I'm sure it did enough to boost their sells from last year.

Pro is at I believe around 100k in the UK now maybe even a bit under.. It's launch week was in the 40k range. 300k would still be an at least 3x performance over the UK, accounting for the larger territory.

Japan actually launched better than UK with 65k Pro's. The Pro being substantially over 300k in the US would be a surprise to me with the info we have. If its going to happen the US has to be a lot more welcoming to the product.

Shock32

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
what was the tweet form ubsoft employee, it seeems to be gone, was it ps4 did 2 million WW sales in a week?

No follow up PR would mean they got blown out! Seriously even if they weren't #1 but they did very well they'd find a cringe worthy way to make it sound like they're the hottest thing around. No response at all would be like those months they didn't comment on NPD because they did so poorly.
I was more thinking it would just indicate they didn't do as well as Sony but that the performance could still be solid in its own right.

Not so much on sales on Pro, just the Pro in and of itself. Your first and second sentence seem to contradict and leave me a bit confused. On one hand you imply sales (though limited) on the other you say not counted, so I am puzzled, haha.
Oh, I thought you were talking about deals and what not. Like cutting the price and adding games. A misunderstanding lol.

When you said "launch" sales I thought you meant the week of launch.

blakep267

I wonder if this also is the case for the US given that both of these markets are similar...
I don't think they are that similar besides the obvious stuff like COd etc. 1. they don't have the same bundles in the US that are in the U.K. Like there were COd, watchdogs bundles and those multiple game bundles. , and 2. The Xbox one S was doing much better than the slim in the US than compared to the UK

Unknown?

Today it has, The PS4S is #31 and the PRO is #34 for the year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#2
You're right but you have to admit that's impressive. The slim has been out longer AND their BF deal as low as $212. Yet it just passed it so at least for that retailer it has been hugely successful.

Only 2 million? Pfffft. I raise you 5 million sold.

This thread here
That sounds made up! Is that supposed to be a joke?

Alex

A friend bought a Pro the other day, it took him 10 hours and six reboots to update Destiny and I had to hear all about it the entire time. It was not a fun day for anyone.

But didn't you know, if you don't release all of your games in the holidays your games become invisible and everyone starts believing your console has no games.

I mean, that's what I gathered from reading lots of people here and online dismissing sonys release strategy so it must be true...
Ain't this truth.

Pro is at I believe around 100k in the UK now maybe even a bit under.. It's launch week was in the 40k range. 300k would still be an at least 3x performance over the UK, accounting for the larger territory.
Uh, the United States has five times the population of the UK, not triple. The same attach rate would equate to ~450k Pro units sold.

Uh, the United States has five times the population of the UK, not triple. The same attach rate would equate to ~450k Pro units sold.

UK per capita buys more games than NA, but I'm not entirely sure of the market vs market breakdown percentage wise.

I mean it could be over 300k it doesn't really matter to me either way. I hope it sells a fucking million. I'm just laying out my current thinking on where about it lands.

Top Bottom