• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 seen its biggest week for console hardware since launch in the UK

Sony will probably release a PS4 sales update later this week and it will include Cyber Monday since their November promotions end today.
Ah, forgot about Cyber Monday. Yeah, they'll want those extra sales too.

They could be waiting to give numbers at PSX.
This is possible as well.

MS didn't put out a statement on Black Friday until the following Thursday last year. So, if performance is looking really good, Sony may give a moment to it at PSX.

I still think Sony is just going to play it cool though.

TalonJH

I figured Sony would have made a statement by now if that were true but there is still time for that. Or maybe Sony doesn't feel the need to comment on it. It could also be false info lol. Who knows.

We're only a few days from PSX. I wouldn't be surprised it it was held for the stage presentation.

Chobel

November weekly sales

Week 1
Xbox One: ~24k
PS4: ~21k

Week 2
PS4: ~65k
Xbox One: ~45k

Week 3
PS4: ???
Xbox One: ???

Week 4
PS4: 142,578
Xbox One: 92,578

Total
PS4: >>228,578
Xbox One: >>161,578

Wait we have week 1 and 2 numbers?

----------
Crazy to think that people would go with the cheaper option, on Black Friday week of all days.

The things you learn. Pretty sure they were giving away PS4's with Happy Meals at the weekend . . . .*

*Thats how you do sarky, right?

Change the bold into "Pork Loin" for maximum snark.

We're only a few days from PSX. I wouldn't be surprised it it was held for the stage presentation.
It is a possibility but I don't remember the last time Sony explicitly talked about sales on stage like that. Maybe it could just be casually thrown into the mix like, "we're proud to have over 50M of you PS4 owners with us as we go into the Christmas holiday".

Elandyll

Banned
But the tides turned and the slim needed saving, yep
I kinda wasn't getting that attitude tbh.

Aside if you're looking for a 4K UHD player, the XB1S is still the weakest console of the two (and depending on the title by quite a bit at times)... and at the same price in most cases.
The uhd BR brings no advantage on the gaming side whatsoever (and all the PS4s are getting the HDR update afaik). #shrug.

Will be interesting to see how much the "cheapest 4k UHD BR player on the market" will have helped in November in the US when we have numbers.

Unknown?

I figured Sony would have made a statement by now if that were true but there is still time for that. Or maybe Sony doesn't feel the need to comment on it. It could also be false info lol. Who knows.

Sony won the majority of NPDs this year in the US but they stopped giving press releases about being the best selling console of the month. I don't find it weird at all but they may have a small statement soon.

DavidDesu

Yep, the prices are ridiculous, under £200 for the best of the next gen consoles and a top flight game. This is the first Xmas the proper casual families get in on the action. The kind of people like work colleagues of mine who's kids have a PS3 and they're now ready to move up. Gonna be ridiculous sales once the dust has settled after Xmas and January sales.

timberger

Not surprised, some of the PS4 prices lately have been bonkers good. A few people I know who were stubbornly sticking with their last gen consoles jumped on some of those bundles.

13 Snakes

Neo Member
Biggest week since launch week wow, hope it leads to good software sales for both consoles.

Why would PS4's being sold push games being bought for XB1 at all? If anything there would be a negative correlation between the two. No one is saying, "I am going to buy a PS4, and due to this, grab a copy of COD for XB1.

Unknown?

You didn't check every ps4 sales related thread in the last two months then, there was even a big one about how could sony save the irrelevant slim

That's the general case of calling something with insufficient data, which happens a lot around here. You need several months to make any call on a trend.

Awesome, there's some good deals knocking around at the moment.

I'm hoping for a killer price and pack-ins on a Neo next November-ish. Think I will pick up both it and the Scorpio at the same time!

Elandyll

Banned
You didn't check every ps4 sales related thread in the last two months then, there was even a big one about how could sony save the irrelevant slim
I probably didn't express myself correctly. By "not getting" I meant "did not understand".
But yeah I definitely saw the "PS4 is Doomed" attitude in the past 4 months of NPD threads, in spite of well documented factors about sales.

Fdkn

I probably didn't express myself correctly. By "not getting" I meant "did not understand".
But yeah I definitely saw the "PS4 is Doomed" attitude in the past 4 months of NPD threads, in spite of well documented factors about sales.

I took it the other way around, my bad ;)

Zeknurn

Sweden numbers from my retail chain:

We sold Xbones for $170 with Alan Wake and Quantum Break and Xbox One S with Fifa and either Gears 4 or Forza Horizon 3 for $190.

Ps4 had the slim at $230 and Pro at $390, no games included. Ps4 still outsold the Xbox.

Got a link to these offers? Because the cheapest I've seen an Xbox One S is 2500SEK/~$272

I'd jump on one for $190 in heartbeat.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy to think that people would go with the cheaper option, on Black Friday week of all days.

The things you learn. Pretty sure they were giving away PS4's with Happy Meals at the weekend . . . .*

*Thats how you do sarky, right?

Look at this guy with more edges than Polygon.

ethomaz

Banned
142k is still good for the PS4. 92k for Xbox though is weird. Were deals worse than last year or did PS4 have the better deals?
You have to add Pro in the math... of course without it PS4 couldn't reach 142k.

And PS4 had better deals in UK.

Welfare

You have to add Pro in the math... of course without it PS4 couldn't reach 142k.

And PS4 had better deals in UK.

I know Pro helped the PS4 hit 142k but unless Pro did close to 50k, PS4 pulled ahead of the XB1S by a lot. Wonder what sales were like the week before. We are so close to having a full month of data.

Ammogeddon

November weekly sales

Week 1
Xbox One: ~24k
PS4: ~21k

Week 2
PS4: ~65k
Xbox One: ~45k

Week 3
PS4: ???
Xbox One: ???

Week 4
PS4: 142,578
Xbox One: 92,578

Total
PS4: >>228,578
Xbox One: >>161,578

I'm always amazed at how many units are shifted each week. Crazy numbers no matter the console.

I know Pro helped the PS4 hit 142k but unless Pro did close to 50k, PS4 pulled ahead of the XB1S by a lot.
That's not how I'd characterize the trend. Pro (and deals) helped PS4 edge out its sales from last year. The big gap is almost completely due to Xbox One falling dramatically YOY. If I had to guess, this is partially due to new Gears not being as big an incentive to jump in as new Halo. (Maybe due to release order, just as much as intrinsic value of the brands.)

Unknown?

I know Pro helped the PS4 hit 142k but unless Pro did close to 50k, PS4 pulled ahead of the XB1S by a lot. Wonder what sales were like the week before. We are so close to having a full month of data.

Maybe that bump in sells from launching a slim wore off on MS's end? Maybe people were waiting till the HUGE flood of games starts in January for PS4 but jumped on it now because it was impulse buy pricing?

142k is still good for the PS4. 92k for Xbox though is weird. Were deals worse than last year or did PS4 have the better deals?

I think we've already had some UK people post that the deals were pretty much the same. But that's in PS4's favor because when they've had price parity, people have generally found the PS4 to be the better value.

That 33% drop is pretty damn big though. I wonder if it might indicate that the S is essentially selling as a replacement for existing Xbox owners and not that much to new customers and now that threshold has been met and the few months of boosts is now gone.

Unknown?

I think we've already had some UK people post that the deals were pretty much the same. But that's in PS4's favor because when they've had price parity, people have generally found the PS4 to be the better value.

That 33% drop is pretty damn big though. I wonder if it might indicate that the S is essentially selling as a replacement for existing Xbox owners and not that much to new customers and now that threshold has been met and the few months of boosts is now gone.
Who knows, really too early to say if they're just replacements for existing owners but it does show favor to PS4 in UK. I'd say it's probably because of people looking at the upcoming software starting January. PS4 has tons of niche and bigger exclusives from January to April whereas Xbox once again has nothing slated early next year.

They're going to take December as well!

Who knows, really too early to say if they're just replacements for existing owners but it does show favor to PS4 in UK. I'd say it's probably because of people looking at the upcoming software starting January. PS4 has tons of niche and bigger exclusives from January to April whereas Xbox once again has nothing slated early next year.

Yeah that's true.

MS really needs to reconsider their strategy of holding their exclusives until the holidays. By now they should have learned that the 3rd party AAA games is all that's needed during this time of year. Especially this year, it feels like there are 74959 3rd party AAA games all competing for our attention and money this holiday (and almost all of them are underperforming).

That's not how I'd characterize the trend. Pro (and deals) helped PS4 edge out its sales from last year. The big gap is almost completely due to Xbox One falling dramatically YOY. If I had to guess, this is partially due to new Gears not being as big an incentive to jump in as new Halo. (Maybe due to release order, just as much as intrinsic value of the brands.)
Right, the PS4 couldn't have taken that much away from Xbox. This says more about the Xbox itself. I just don't know how it could be explained.

Last hope is the DLC announcement press release.
Yeah, might come as a blog post on the PS Blog or part of the DLC blog post.

jjonez18

Was not expecting XB1 to be down. I was going by the logic of a growing Black Friday in the UK would raise all ships. Definitely goes against what we've been seeing from it since the XB1S debut. Slim + Pro boosted holiday season off to a great start though.

Selfish aside... but I'm glad Uncharted, R&C, TLOU, and DriveClub are getting packed in. Some of the best games this generation and definitely a great way to introduce new owners to PlayStation.

Top Bottom