• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 seen its biggest week for console hardware since launch in the UK

Sony's strategy of being first (compared to Scorpio) on the market with a (somewhat) 4k capable console might just pay off. It might just 'clog' the market for an even more powerful, even more expensive(?) piece of hardware.

I wonder how many of those sales are slims (supposedly new PS4 users) vs. Pros (i would assume a lot of upgraders from the OG)
It will definitely be interesting.

Pro will be quite a bit cheaper and more than likely bundled with RDR2 and the Scorpio will be launching at $399+. MS will have to plan the launch smartly.

Sale threads are funny.
One minutes we have missing 4K bluray is a mistake, slim design ugly, pro leap not big enough, days later we got no surprise, slim have better deal, more value.
All those knee jerk reactions over a week of sales report sometimes without numbers, just hilarious.
Agreed.

Ravage

Sweden numbers from my retail chain:

We sold Xbones for $170 with Alan Wake and Quantum Break and Xbox One S with Fifa and either Gears 4 or Forza Horizon 3 for $190.

Ps4 had the slim at $230 and Pro at $390, no games included. Ps4 still outsold the Xbox.

Why are the xbones so heavily discounted? Is MS giving them away for free or are the stores simply desperate to clear stock (and eating the losses)?

RocknRola

Why are the xbones so heavily discounted? Is MS giving them away for free or are the stores simply desperate to clear stock (and eating the losses)?

The old model (500GB) without games was going for 150€ here in Portugal in one retailer at least (Worten).

Elandyll

Banned
I think Sony will lose either Destiny or Battlefront. Maybe both. They have way too much next year and AFAIK MS has literally nothing other than FIFA/Madden? With BF switching to XB1 this year I could see BFront too.

Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, CoD, RDR2, maybe a first party game, assassins creed, need for speed (this is usually ps4 right?) and potentially that suicide squad game rumoured for 2017. That's just talking about the second half of 2016.
Sony has a deal with Activision for Destiny for 10 years. They also have a deal for COD, for unknown duration afaik.
As for Battlefront, it might be up in the air, but Sony and Disney have been close for a while now, and Ep 8 next year will be a big deal in December.
I think in the end it'll be about how the titles and marketing are spread appart.
I could see (for 3rd party deals): Destiny 2 in mid September, COD in early Nov, RDR 2 in mid November, Battlefront in early December.

Not much overlap if they plan it well imo.

Just like that MS lead in the UK for last few months is gone .
Going to be interesting to see what they do for the rest of the year and next year .
Next year they have so many options for bundles right from the start .

Javin98

Banned
I think Sony will lose either Destiny or Battlefront. Maybe both. They have way too much next year and AFAIK MS has literally nothing other than FIFA/Madden? With BF switching to XB1 this year I could see BFront too.

Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, CoD, RDR2, maybe a first party game, assassins creed, need for speed (this is usually ps4 right?) and potentially that suicide squad game rumoured for 2017. That's just talking about the second half of 2016.
Eh? Sony has several marketing deals for Star Wars with Disney IIRC. EA can do jackshit about it.

RocknRola

Well, MS can always do a new fragrance! :D

454aaQL.jpg

Chobel

Destiny 2, CoD and RDR2: These are going with Sony.

Battlefront 2: MS will definitely try to acquire this, but it made shit ton of money for Sony last time and the Episode VIII is coming next year, so unless it's releasing withing a week from RDR2 I highly doubt Sony is gonna let it go easily.

Assassins creed: Now this one I think will be MS'.

Need for Speed: Not even remotely in the same league as the above, so probably just like the last time, no marketing deal from any platform holder (Maybe Switch lol)

blakep267

While it's likely that COD and Battlefront stay with Sony, who knows the actual terms and durations. But it doesn't make sense to have destiny, COD, Battlefront and RDR2 all coming in the same time frame with your marketing dollars. Something is not gonna get a push from sony.

As for the other games that are possible, I think either assasins creed and/or Far cry 5 will come out next fall and then there's other unknown 3rd party games

Sony has a deal with Activision for Destiny for 10 years. They also have a deal for COD, for unknown duration afaik.
As for Battlefront, it might be up in the air, but Sony and Disney have been close for a while now, and Ep 8 next year will be a big deal in December.
I think in the end it'll be about how the titles and marketing are spread appart.
I could see (for 3rd party deals): Destiny 2 in mid September, COD in early Nov, RDR 2 in mid November, Battlefront in early December.

Not much overlap if they plan it well imo.
If Sony had a schedule packed like that, you can see why they'd want to move their 1st party games out of the holiday season. That'd be a killer one two punch marketing combo.

142k is insane for a console in one week after launch.

It basically killed all the advantage XB1 had these last months in one week.
Which is why I kept trying to point out everything isn't about what one of the two does or doesn't do. The X1 can have momentum gains that put it ahead of PS4 for a brief period without it being a difference in "value" (UHD, Slim/Pro aren't moving because they lack XYZ, etc...).

jaypah

Damn, Sony remains on fire! Selling great, introduced an iterative console a year before the competition and has VR on the shelves for any of those millions of customers that want to get into it. You can't plan any better than that.

While it's likely that COD and Battlefront stay with Sony, who knows the actual terms and durations. But it doesn't make sense to have destiny, COD, Battlefront and RDR2 all coming in the same time frame with your marketing dollars. Something is not gonna get a push from sony.

As for the other games that are possible, I think either assasins creed and/or Far cry 5 will come out next fall and then there's other unknown 3rd party games
I think Destiny should be good since it will most likely be in September. CoD is CoD so that will stay. They have RDR2 so that will have to fit somewhere. I think it is just Battlefront that will be in question. It could just go to December.

I know one thing, don't expect major first party titles next year lol.

blakep267

I think Destiny should be good since it will most likely be in September. CoD is CoD so that will stay. They have RDR2 so that will have to fit somewhere. I think it is just Battlefront that will be in question. It could just go to December.

I know one thing, don't expect major first party titles next year lol.
Nah I think battlefront def launches in November. EA wants those November and Black Friday sales. It worked for them with the first game. And rockstar does whatever rockstar wants and they weren't concerned with launching GTA in November of 2014

I'm just thinking from a bundle and marketing standpoint, you aren't going to have major pushes for RD COD and battlefront all in the same month.

Elios83

OH finally some actual numbers and guess what, PS4 won BF and obviously the month in UK by a big margin as well (the BF lead alone is double what MS gained in September+October).

Loris146

Nah I think battlefront def launches in November. EA wants those November and Black Friday sales. It worked for them with the first game. I'm just thinking from a bundle and marketing standpoint, you aren't going to have major pushes for RD COD and battlefront all in the same month.

Maybe they will use the same strategy of 2015. Star Wars bundle in November and a cod bundle in December. Maybe just a limited edition.

Rymuth

Heh

Battlefront is a Disney property. So that'll go to Sony. Need for Speed will go to MS because of EA and MS' unprecedented partnership.

Ass Creed will go to MS since Ubi likes to keep both parties pleased.

Black Flag: Sony marketing
Unity: MS marketing
Syndicate: Sony marketing
Eygpt: MS marketing

Nah I think battlefront def launches in November. EA wants those November and Black Friday sales. It worked for them with the first game. And rockstar does whatever rockstar wants and they weren't concerned with launching GTA in November of 2014

I'm just thinking from a bundle and marketing standpoint, you aren't going to have major pushes for RD COD and battlefront all in the same month.
CoD and Battlefront bundles could be handled like last year. CoD will get a December bundle all to itself. Battlefront will take November. It is tough to figure how RDR2 fits into the equation. If it is an October launch, it'll work out.

September - Destiny
October - RDR2
November - Battlefront
December - CoD

In terms of bundles and promotion. Or RDR2 could get the first half of November.

blakep267

Something will be delayed so it' s a "pointless" discussion anyway.
EA and Activision aren't delaying anything. The only game that could possibly be delayed is RD and if that was the case why announce a launch date a year early if you aren't confident

Javin98

Banned
I always think it's hilarious how most developers try to avoid stiff competition that will adversely affect sales (even COD suffered to a degree this year) but Rockstar can release a game whenever they want. Every other dev will quiver in fear instead, haha.

Aceofspades

Banned
Sale threads are funny.
One minutes we have missing 4K bluray is a mistake, slim design ugly, pro leap not big enough, days later we got no surprise, slim have better deal, more value.
All those knee jerk reactions over a week of sales report sometimes without numbers, just hilarious.

True

Welfare

142k is still good for the PS4. 92k for Xbox though is weird. Were deals worse than last year or did PS4 have the better deals?

Something will be delayed so it' s a "pointless" discussion anyway.
From those tried and true third party? I dunno, I think BF/COD/AC usually hit their targets, maybe Destiny 2 has potential to be delayed, but I'm not expecting much from Sony outside of Horizon and GTS for 2017 (just talking the biggest AAA titles here), Spider man, Days Gone, God of War, Detroit, none of those will make it probably in the year, and that's ok IMO, leave the third party to duke out the Holiday's, and make events out of your own first party stuff.

142k is still good for the PS4. 92k for Xbox though is weird. Were deals worse than last year or did PS4 have the better deals?
I was just thinking about this. The X1 had the momentum going into BF and a better model with a cheaper price....but it is down ~30%? That doesn't make sense. Even if PS4 had better deals that swayed customers to that side, I don't think that is enough to explain the number for X1. I almost think the number is incorrect lol.

Do you know what PS4 did last year?
Edit - Never mind, just saw your first post in this thread.

Memento

Wow, biggest since launch? Damn.

UC4 must have reached some crazy numbers already too. I hope they give us the numbers at PSX when announcing the SP DLC.

Crazy to think that people would go with the cheaper option, on Black Friday week of all days.

The things you learn. Pretty sure they were giving away PS4's with Happy Meals at the weekend . . . .*

*Thats how you do sarky, right?

Welfare

November weekly sales

Week 1
Xbox One: ~24k
PS4: ~21k

Week 2
PS4: ~65k
Xbox One: ~45k

Week 3
PS4: ???
Xbox One: ???

Week 4
PS4: 142,578
Xbox One: 92,578

Total
PS4: >>228,578
Xbox One: >>161,578

Memento

What should be the WW U4 numbers by this time?

I dont think it is possible to say with any kind of precision, but it should be a lot. The game has done better than its antecessors everywhere, from US to UK to Japan. And now it is part of the main Holiday bundle of this year.

Numbers must be crazy.

BigEmil

Ratchet and Clank is doing too good for too long likely Insomniac's biggest success even at budget pricing with some of the budget went into the movie too.

Can't wait to see the full fledged R&C 2 on PS4 :)

BigEmil

I guess UK doesn't care about 4K Bluray. Now to see if it's the same here.
4k TV's are still too expensive here in the UK unless you want those poor quality 4k TV's which you should obviously not do and 1080p TV are still fine.

Maybe when the premium pricing of 4k TV's settle down to standard in a few more years then it'll matter more and by then PS5 will likely be released and also more 4k support as of now 4k support is very small only around 20 4k blurays out and Netflix 4k needs fast internet etcetc. Tl;dr too early.

Shock32

Damn, Sony remains on fire! Selling great, introduced an iterative console a year before the competition and has VR on the shelves for any of those millions of customers that want to get into it. You can't plan any better than that.

You really can't play it much better. And just think between now starting with FF15 all the way until April with Persona 5 it's a packed line up.

Elios83

Sale threads are funny.

Indeed, bullshit everywhere but in the end the result was somewhat obvious for everyone :D
This is why it's better to comment on actual numbers.

Elios83

I figured Sony would have made a statement by now if that were true but there is still time for that. Or maybe Sony doesn't feel the need to comment on it. It could also be false info lol. Who knows.

Sony will probably release a PS4 sales update later this week and it will include Cyber Monday since their November promotions end today.

Top Bottom