• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
A game tester would only test a game, in order to find bugs during game play, which is pointless for a tech demo.

That isn't entirely true. Engines need testing to (i should know, I test the art tool where I work). In order to have a successful tech demo, you need to showcase what your tech is capable of.

Point being, someone is testing their engine to make sure that the tech demo runs flawless on the hardware available.

- in the dev kit he tested, it is not possible to "turn off" the Pad monitor, so that it always streams 480p contents
- the programming staff thinks that (they are not sure) toggling off the Pad monitor, the game could run on a 1080p native resolution
To me that claim doesn't make any sense, which leads me to believe the source is full of shit or doesn't know what he's talking about.
It's confusing from a bunch of directions.

If it's showing the same screen, surely it's not rerendering it for the smaller screen. That'd be a little nuts when they could just downres it instead for cheap. And I had thought that they meant that it's streaming whatever buffer they tell it to put to that monitor output, but that'd mean that they'd have the option of "rendering" a blank white screen, which wouldn't at all prevent pretty much full resource usage to the main screen.
The bold part nails it. If the sub screen is displaying the main screen buffer then they just down sample the image with not much extra overhead. When we were speculating what the controller was i always thought this could be used in very cool ways for some games without downgrading or affecting the IQ. It could be useful in for example a Brother's in Arms game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is just getting ridiculous. Almost 3 weeks until E3 and the only chance of leaks are from our friends at Ubisoft.

Someone posted this a while back- in 2006 the month before E3 had a ton more Wii information right?

This is just getting ridiculous. Almost 3 weeks until E3 and the only chance of leaks are from our friends at Ubisoft.

Someone posted this a while back- in 2006 the month before E3 had a ton more Wii information right?

Not that I can remember.

Back then, the main leaks we got were from E3 articles from USA Today that would leak the morning before.

I remember feeling like a kid who peeked at his Christmas presents early.

Star Fox by Platinum.
New Metroid from Retro.

E3 surprises? Could be. I think seeing both of these at Nintendo's conference would be damn awesome.

HylianTom

Banned

That, and we used to have gaming reporters who had connections; they'd be able to BEEP-BOOP-BEEP-BOOP call-up their sources to get some good rumors or leaks. Not so much anymore.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alberto just pm me all your secrets, I'll post them on 4chan, and once they finally get back here people can praise the anonymous leaks.

oGqyN.jpg

Love it. Why are space themed things always so cool and epic? (SMG is proof)

Now that I think about it, there were still things we didn't know about the Wii immediately after their E3 presser. I mean, a day or so later, they held that little roundtable thing they always hold, and you probably weren't expecting much, then BAM

Now that I think about it, there were still things we didn't know about the Wii immediately after their E3 presser. I mean, a day or so later, they held that little roundtable thing they always hold, and you probably weren't expecting much, then BAM
It was that night. Miyamoto's round-table is the night of the conference. I think this year it'll be more about Pikmin 3.

Possibility for a game design on WiiU.

Is it possible to render the "future". The main screen renders the present, and the pad is rendering a different area of the world that is the "future", it could be a few seconds or generations in the future.

I could see this working well with Prince of Persia or Eternal Darkness. Hell, even Zelda could work off this idea.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is this something?

In the Bird Demo when the little bird is flapping it's wings quickly the outline of the wings are transparent. Seems to be an effect there to simulate motion blur or 24fps camera work.

Possibility for a game design on WiiU.

Is it possible to render the "future". The main screen renders the present, and the pad is rendering an area of the world that is the "future".

I could see this working well with Prince of Persia or Eternal Darkness.

This is quite interesting and on the side reminds me of this idea, where you're in the Zelda "Light World", but your controller shows as a movable window into the "Dark World" in the same location.

RedSwirl

Some posts ago I told something like "why do you keep talking about the Wii U power instead of focusing on games?"... well I'll try to give some new heat to the "Wii U raw power discussion".

Nothing new and nothing confirmed, just the words of an Italian beta tester that has just joint in Crytek. Take these words as facts, speculation, bullshit or whatever you want. I thinks these info are quite legit, but can't trust him 100%.

I'll put here below his original post in italian (provided on www.spaziogames.it forum) and then will summerize it in english.

- Crytek is NOT developing a game for Wii U, but they created a Crysis 3 level just to fully understand the console capabilities
- apparently he tried this level on the last DevKit available
- the game run on dx9 with a native 720p resolution, fxaa filter (it is impossible to use txaa), good framerate (30-35 stable fps), high quality texture (no pop up as in the Ps3/x360 game version due to the higher RAM amount), not fully implemented water shaders
- great particles effects (ambient occlusion on par with PC version)
- lighting effect on par with PC version (ultra setting)
- in the dev kit he tested, it is not possible to "turn off" the Pad monitor, so that it always streams 480p contents
- the programming staff thinks that (they are not sure) toggling off the Pad monitor, the game could run on a 1080p native resolution

In other posts he is well impressed by the overall console power, but he hopes that in future dev kits there will be the opportunity to disable the Wii U pad in order to unleash the console full power.

He thinks Crytek will show this demo on E3 showflor even if the game is not under development.

Original post
http://forum.spaziogames.it/board/showthread.php?t=324866&p=16074539&viewfull=1#post16074539

Crytek Frankfurt you mean... right?

schuelma

Konami canceled a project. I don't know what it is, but it was Wii U and digital.

I know you have to live up to your reputation as being too reasonable for this forum, but do you ever leak good news? You make me a sad panda :(

Crytek UK has Wii U devkits, and they're making Homefront 2. Homefront 2 is Crytek's Wii U game, because THQ is all over the Wii U, in order to latch onto that new console hype.

You can pretty much guaranty every major THQ game will be on the Wii U.

No complaints from me!

Just keep that life support plugged in THQ, please. :(

Seriously, THQ might be god teir if they stick around, hope we'll get some exclusives and new IPs. Shame about Blue Tongue and Rainbow/THQ Pheonix being dead, they could've provided great exclusives; de Blob 3, a spiritual successor to Deadly Creatures, etc.

They should revive Red Faction B.E.A.S.T. maybe.

What if they publish TimeSplitters 4 exclusively on Wii U? :O Dun DUN!!!

HylianTom

Banned
This is quite interesting and on the side reminds me of this idea, where you're in the Zelda "Light World", but your controller shows as a movable window into the "Dark World" in the same location.
I like those ideas much better than just an inventory screen.

I think I'm looking forward to seeing what the Zelda crew is going to do with the pad more than anything else.

I know you have to live up to your reputation as being too reasonable for this forum, but do you ever leak good news? You make me a sad panda :(

Uhm, there is talk of an on-demand video service that Nintendo is working with content providers on doing.

Unlike the short things that come with Nintendo video, you'd pay a per-video fee to get things like full movies to rent like the Zune or Qriocity services. People I know specifically talked about Nintendo aggressively pursuing things like the Ace Attorney movie to launch the service with.

What a game Mario 64 was. What a breakthrough.

I was awed with joy during most of the game but the part in one of the lower levels where you go down that slope and see the lake area and ride the dinosaur....that basically was the point where I was like "can games get any better than this???????".

schuelma

Uhm, there is talk of an on-demand video service that Nintendo is working with content providers on doing.

Unlike the short things that come with Nintendo video, you'd pay a per-video fee to get things like full movies to rent like the Zune or Qriocity services. People I know specifically talked about Nintendo aggressively pursuing things like the Ace Attorney movie to launch the service with.

Umm...ok.. I guess you have to save the FF7 remake news for later. Fair enough.

getting more interesting....keep going

I like those ideas much better than just an inventory screen.

I think I'm looking forward to seeing what the Zelda crew is going to do with the pad more than anything else.

Hrm, I should post my "Ideas.u" file like towards the end of this thread. It's a compilation and attempted categorization of some of the more interesting concepts where the "one or more mobile interactive screen(s), one immobile giant playfield" situation could take us.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I like Nintendo Video, but pay? PAY? yeah.... No.

HylianTom

Banned
Hrm, I should post my "Ideas.u" file like towards the end of this thread. It's a compilation and attempted categorization of some of the more interesting concepts where the "one or more mobile interactive screen(s), one immobile giant playfield" could take us.
Yes please! Between you and IdeaMan, there are enough game ideas for the whole generation.

I like Nintendo Video, but pay? PAY? yeah.... No.
Eehhh.. I'm kinda hoping that Nintendo stays away from the nickle-and-dimey stuff..

Linkup

Konami cancelled there Castlevania port? of no concern as other devs will fill their shoes

Okay, so I have a bro working at an iOS only dev, will maybe not so much anymore ;)

Just take this as a friendly chat two bros had.

So let's get started.

- Developing on an older devkit, it's definitely not the latest as I understand their is Rev5?
- They are toying around with LRP "light ray processor"?
- Game is going to take place in a small rooms that are only displayed on DRC
so they are working at 480p
- Test lots and lots of AA methods and physics systems
- Going for a 3D model render look
- Story is about a father and daughter trapped below the earth in their home
- Shake uPad to cause quakes inside the room, dig below room to explore mines.
- Exploration/adventure game, want to tell a charming story. Game is 23 percent complete.

It was never really said but I'm thinking this is for DD for now. I'm betting other mobile devs are getting older devkits now too. About the right time as they can port over existing games or like these devs jump right into developing their next game. As always take this with a grain of salt, hey my bro could of just been playing with me!

that was kind of fun and of course fake, please don't post on Kotaku

Yes please! Between you and IdeaMan, there are enough game ideas for the whole generation..

GameXplain is actually an insanely top tier gaming site, from the few articles I've read there. They have a bunch of those concepts, as well as a lot of very nerdy, genuinely hardcore content (that is, hardcore like their recent "frame by frame analysis up coming game to figure out more about it", not "hardcore" like "yay blood"). Even though I haven't read them in depth, I highly recommend checking them out.

Gamasutra is also on my watch list, but that's mainly because of that link from earlier today and the old NPD analysis articles. Are they generally pretty good?

HylianTom

Banned
GameXplain is actually an insanely top tier gaming site, from the few articles I've read there. They have a bunch of those concepts, as well as a lot of very nerdy, genuinely hardcore content (that is, hardcore like their recent "frame by frame analysis up coming game to figure out more about it", not "hardcore" like "yay blood"). Even though I haven't read them in depth, I highly recommend checking them out.

Gamasutra is also on my watch list, but that's mainly because of that link from earlier today and the old NPD analysis articles. Are they generally pretty good?
I've found gamesutra to be pretty good in the past, although I seem to remember some of their later Nintendo articles making me facepalm. Then again, I'm not the most unbiased guy to ask, I'll admit..

But I'd take Gamasutra over any of the big sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom