• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I miss the days of Ken Lobb boring MOST people on the E3 stage talking 5 million miles per minute breaking down Mario 64 while a few members of the Treehouse plays.

That kicked ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ_9thx480&feature=related

Sadly we'll never get that back. The thrill and wonder of exploring 3d games for the first time. And for some reason the basic renderings of stuff, snowy environments for example, was more stimulating to the mind than their photorealistic descendants. N64 had some great snow levels. Goldeneye and Beetle Adventure Racing come to mind.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Possibility for a game design on WiiU.

Is it possible to render the "future". The main screen renders the present, and the pad is rendering a different area of the world that is the "future", it could be a few seconds or generations in the future.

I could see this working well with Prince of Persia or Eternal Darkness. Hell, even Zelda could work off this idea.

Or the TV could display the present, and the DRC will be a "window to the past".

Think of an intricate political, diplomacy & investigation game mixed with history and archeology elements, where you'll have to seek for clues & infos from a 500-years-old-view on the padlet, to counter a mysterious ancient worldwide organization, planning a dark plot in our period. Point your controller in the direction of this Paris library basement wall, and suddenly, some writings unseen in 2012 because of the alterations of the time, appears in the DRC, revealing you some secrets. Explore an old Quartier Latin street with tourists and macdonald showed on the TV, but a convenient archaeological vision managed by the subscreen allow you to see the old cobblestones under the asphalt, buildings as they where half a millenia ago, and a detail could trigger a meeting scene of key members of this organization, only occurring in this past window that the protagonist, a searcher, imagine thanks to these historical proofs he found.

Sadly we'll never get that back. The thrill and wonder of exploring 3d games for the first time. And for some reason the basic renderings of stuff, snowy environments for example, was more stimulating to the mind than their photorealistic descendants. N64 had some great snow levels. Goldeneye and Beetle Adventure Racing come to mind.

It's okay. There will always be new things to shift how we play and enjoy games. As long as devs focus on how to make things different instead of how to take what we already have and make that incrementally better, we'll get those "WOW!" experiences.

HylianTom

Banned
Or the TV could display the present, and the DRC will be a "window to the past".

Think of an intricate political, diplomacy & investigation game mixed with history and archeology elements, where you'll have to seek for clues & infos from a 500-years-old-view on the padlet, to counter a mysterious ancient worldwide organization, planning a dark plot in our period. Point your controller in the direction of this Paris library basement wall, and suddenly, some writings unseen in 2012 because of the alterations of the time, appears in the DRC, revealing you some secrets. Explore an old Quartier Latin street with tourists and macdonald showed on the TV, but a convenient archaeological vision managed by the subscreen allow you to see the old cobblestones under the asphalt, buildings as they where half a millenia ago, and a detail could trigger a meeting scene of key members of this organization, only occurring in this past window that the protagonist, a searcher, imagine thanks to these historical proofs he found.
I would love this.. it's an unconventional game idea. No bosses, few enemies creatures (if any at all, really).. just pure exploration. It could almost be like Endless Ocean, but in a really old, historically and architecturally rich cityscape!
(I live one block away from an area of road where the asphalt gives way to reveal cobblestone that's much older, so your idea jives with me well.)

Metroid Prime. Phendrana Drifts. I got that thrill, and wonder...and horror

Post #4160: Farsight studios Pinball Arcade coming to Wii U

Edit: link to the post
Edit²: link to the source

Rösti;37776738 said:

Thanks guys, pinball games could work really well on the Wii U, a close up on the pad & a zoomed out view on the TV would be most useful. Hopefully Zen bring a Pinball game to the Wii U too(I prefer video pinball to "real" pinball), preferably with the Marvel tables/ a new Avengers table.

I think you are going a bit too far, Minecraft only came out a couple of years ago, & that reminds me of the early 3D titles.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's okay. There will always be new things to shift how we play and enjoy games. As long as devs focus on how to make things different instead of how to take what we already have and make that incrementally better, we'll get those "WOW!" experiences.
Well, once developers figure out how to utilize four-dimensional space, five-dimensional space and beyond (should be possible up to eleven-dimensional space) in games we ought to see something truly groundbreaking. But even before that we could see a great leap if someone figures out how to properly utilize point cloud data in games, or if polytopes replace polygons (though that is more related to beyond three-dimensional space).

But yeah, the feeling you got when playing Super Mario 64 hasn't really been surpassed by anything I can think of. Sure, games are continuing to look more realistic as the industry matures but mostly it's just that, graphics, we are seeing improvement with. AI, audio etc. haven't really seen any greater revolutions in many years. Maybe it's time for those fields to see some attention.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Maybe, but I think we me have to wait for the shift into hologram games to get that sense of wonder back.

Rösti;37777134 said:
But yeah, the feeling you got when playing Super Mario 64 hasn't really been surpassed by anything I can think of. Sure, games are continuing to look more realistic as the industry matures but mostly it's just that, graphics, we are seeing improvement with. AI, audio etc. haven't really seen any greater revolutions in many years. Maybe it's time for those fields to see some attention.

I disagree, some of the open world games this gen have truly impressed me with their scope & scale, & that has little to do with the graphics.

I want NMH 3 as a wii u exclusive. Please and thank you ubi.
I don't think that has much to do with Ubi(they only published it in the west), talk to Grasshopper/Marvelous.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Uhm, there is talk of an on-demand video service that Nintendo is working with content providers on doing.

Unlike the short things that come with Nintendo video, you'd pay a per-video fee to get things like full movies to rent like the Zune or Qriocity services. People I know specifically talked about Nintendo aggressively pursuing things like the Ace Attorney movie to launch the service with.

It could be related to their Mobiclip acquisition, those guys are really specialized on that.

I would love this.. it's an unconventional game idea. No bosses, few enemies creatures (if any at all, really).. just pure exploration. It could almost be like Endless Ocean, but in a really old, historically and architecturally rich cityscape!

"Past CSI !"
"The Paris Files !"
"RLPI" (Real Time Past Investigation)
"Middle Age crawler"
"Paris Jones"
"Da Paris Code"
etc :p

There would be some action (in the present TV screen, to prevent physically this plot) but the main part will be investigations yes. Drive by curiosity, you'll be both entertained and learn some history lessons from the setting at the same time. A real historical/archeological layer added to a current day cityscape, an improved touring guide, or i would say the visualization of a searcher mind, after he find and collect historical proofs, how he picture a secret hideout after having found tissues & weapons buried deep under an old Paris shop.

HylianTom

Banned
I disagree, some of the open world games this gen have truly impressed me with their scope & scale, & that has little to do with the graphics.
Agree. For me, wonderment comes from the world that's been created. Good artistic vision in combination with good level design and unique gameplay concepts can go a long way towards creating that feeling.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This could be nothing, but while I was in Bansville, a site that you go to for Nintendo news reported that Nyko were unveiling a product at E3 which corrects a significant Nintendo oversight.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

lednerg

With all these "power" discussions, I think it's important to remind people that system power means almost nothing for 99% of games. It is extremely expensive to take full advantage of high power, because it takes a long time / a lot of people to do modeling, animating, and lighting at high detail. Money that most publishers aren't willing to pay. This is why every XBox 360 game doesn't look as good as Gears of War, why every PS3 game doesn't look as good as Uncharted. It's also why Square says they weren't going to make a FF7 remake looking like the PS3 demo, they said a full game at that quality was going to need a team of 300 people working for 5 years (the demo was able to use some models made for the CGI movie they were working on at the time). If the Wii-U was capable of doing Samaritan in real time, then some AAA games will be purely amazing...but most games won't look any better than current-gen games, except possibly in terms of framerate/resolution.

Yup. Even if we took away all of the limitations of hardware, games wouldn't become Pixar-esque masterpieces all the sudden. People still have to make the games and everything in them. In the graphics world we say "It can be good, fast, or cheap. Pick two." Apparently some gamers have got it in their heads that all three will be available to publishers 'because of hardware.' It doesn't work that way. Hardware can render things better, keep models from having to be too low-poly, and keep textures nice and high res - that's all basically free by virtue of the way assets are created and then simplified for consoles. But when you're talking about having lots more unique and detailed elements in a scene than ever before, publishers are going to be paying for all of that somehow. Either that, or Team Bondi was truly a harbinger of things to come.

This could be nothing, but while I was in Bansville, a site that you go to for Nintendo news reported that Nyko were unveiling a product at E3 which corrects a significant Nintendo oversight.

Best possible scenario would be wireless Classic Controller with GCN layout.

Likely scenario is add-on grips for the Circle Pad Pro or something equivalently useless. :p

HylianTom

Banned
"Past CSI !"
"The Paris Files !"
"RLPI" (Real Time Past Investigation)
"Middle Age crawler"
"Paris Jones"
"Da Paris Code"
etc :p

There would be some action (in the present TV screen, to prevent physically this plot) but the main part will be investigations yes. Drive by curiosity, you'll be both entertained and learn some history lessons from the setting at the same time. A real historical/archeological layer added to a current day cityscape, an improved touring guide, or i would say the visualization of a searcher mind, after he find and collect historical proofs, how he picture a secret hideout after having found tissues & weapons buried deep under an old Paris shop.
This is so frustrating, but so good. In the era of the vacation-at-home, I think this genre (with adequate advertising) could really take-off. Each title could be a different city or small region. Low-pressure gaming..

Once Mario 64 becomes a Holodeck experience then we'll get the "ahhh" factor back. In my opinion Mario 64 is still the best game ever made and still impresses with its clean graphics. I imagine we're getting close to a new breakthrough that will once again take us deeper into the gameworld.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I would imagine no diff than PSN Store or Zune Marketplace.

Granted, both still look odd when you offer Netflix, Hulu and Amazon now, but whatever

Yeah, just seems like a waste of resources to me. You know at least Netflix and Hulu will already be offered.

Now that rumor for a Wii-U Ereader with books, magazines, comics, Nintendo Powers, etc. Is badass IMO.

Nyko announcing a new 3DS battery confirmed?

Uhm, there is talk of an on-demand video service that Nintendo is working with content providers on doing.

Unlike the short things that come with Nintendo video, you'd pay a per-video fee to get things like full movies to rent like the Zune or Qriocity services. People I know specifically talked about Nintendo aggressively pursuing things like the Ace Attorney movie to launch the service with.
is it related to the 3DS video service shutting down in Japan?
There was no reason give, and apparently they said it has been used 1m times; so I guess it wasn't really doing bad to be shut down so early and suddenly?

kizmah

Soemone must have already mentioned this idea but anyway:

New Zelda, uPad is acting as the lens of truth. You have your invetory on the uPad. You choose the lens of truth and the uPad transforms to a first person window, revealing secret passageways and whatnot.

JaseMath

Soemone must have already mentioned this idea but anyway:

New Zelda, uPad is acting as the lens of truth. You have your invetory on the uPad. You choose the lens of truth and the uPad transforms to a first person window, revealing secret passageways and whatnot.

Pretty obvious use. They'll probably also make the touch screen the instrument...like a piano or something.

Anth0ny

- in the dev kit he tested, it is not possible to "turn off" the Pad monitor, so that it always streams 480p contents
- the programming staff thinks that (they are not sure) toggling off the Pad monitor, the game could run on a 1080p native resolution

I raged.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This is so frustrating, but so good. In the era of the vacation-at-home, I think this genre (with adequate advertising) could really take-off. Each title could be a different city or small region. Low-pressure gaming..

Totally. And it could be huge, see the success of Da Vinci Code and all the mystery/past literature, but picture that in a very interactive way.

Agreed. I'm at the point where I don't want to know anything major anymore. We've come so far that I want the big payoff.. to spoil it at the last moment would be comically cruel, in a way.

I wouldn't want to know anything big software related now but hardware related, I'd be cool with.

But releasing secret info 2 days before the show???

A 2 day wait is nothing.

This 3 week wait might seem really agonizing though.

So I seem to hear people calling the U-mote "DRC" lately. What's that stand for?

"Display Remote Controller". It's a term used for the controllers in the devkits. The other two names which have been used by Nintendo execs have been "The New Controller", featured prominently in their E32011 presentation, and "Subscreen", which was used in an interview at some point (with Iwata, I think?) and may only refer to the screen and not the whole controller.

WAY in the past.

Don't worry, I'm sure they will achieve their earlier greatness once technology has caught up with them and they start rendering one billion troops to the television screen.

HylianTom

Banned
WAY in the past.
Oh, very true. Still kinda depressing. Time flies, and it seems like yesterday.

I wouldn't want to know anything big software related now but hardware related, I'd be cool with.

But releasing secret info 2 days before the show???

A 2 day wait is nothing.

This 3 week wait might seem really agonizing though.
I'm throwing myself into work for the last few weeks. It makes time move more quickly, and my co-workers will owe me some time off coverage for later in the year. Very calulated on my part. :)

Portugeezer

The real question mark for me is: Will Nintendo ever let the developers to turn off the Pad monitor?

I don't think so, but it could be like the DS where it is barely used. Then again, Wii doesn't require motion controls so I guess Wii U won't require the uPad for everything (despite being one of the main selling points).

Maybe later in the generation to allow for more horsepower? Maybe the uPad running at a low framerate for things like maps and inventory is all that is needed and will allow for more horsepower?

lednerg

Nothing new and nothing confirmed, just the words of an Italian beta tester that has just joint in Crytek. Take these words as facts, speculation, bullshit or whatever you want. I thinks these info are quite legit, but can't trust him 100%.
fake
Given the history of the user (I'm on that forum too) I'd say that those are all bullshit.
Especially the "I'm a Crytek betatester" part. lol
real

Can't turn the touchscreen off? Of all the dumb shit to make up. All you gotta do is not turn it on.

Rich!

Hm.

By the equivalent time before the Wii had launched, I had heard loads. And yet, I still wasn't hyped enough to buy one at launch. Right now, by comparison, I know fuck all about the Wii-U.

However, I want a Wii-U, NOW. Goddamn. Got the 5th June booked off work and everything - they had better bring some megatons.

Hm.

By the equivalent time before the Wii had launched, I had heard loads. And yet, I still wasn't hyped enough to buy one at launch. Right now, by comparison, I know fuck all about the Wii-U.

However, I want a Wii-U, NOW. Goddamn. Got the 5th June booked off work and everything - they had better bring some megatons.

Interesting. At this point six years ago, I recall that people were generally ravenous for the Wii. Hype was ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom