• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the BattleShip Quicklook on Giantbomb.

And it made me think, that if Nintendo retooled Batallion Wars graphically.. not gritty or realistic, but more in line with something like.. Team Fortress

And had you control units on the tablet while doing the whole 3rd person shooter on the screen. Could be a fun addition to their library.

That makes too much sense, so we will never see it happen. Sadly.

japtor

Does that mean the OS is gonna be pretty big? (As in, lots of options and features.)
Possibly, and/or they're just being really really conservative with it. 512MB seems like a crapload for an embedded system, that's how much the iPad 2 and iPhone 4/4S have for comparison (while the first iPad and 3GS have 256MB).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
In a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about where to watch the conferences and they'd always be shown on our local town's jumbotron...

tBEAh.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
First the crowd of "hardcore gamers" the term is generally coined after refers to 17-25 year old's who play all the AAA games and do all-night CoD benders.
Hmm.. I'd skew that a bit younger. The CoD/Halo fans I know start young. They get home from school, throw down their lunch boxes and backpacks, forget about their long division math homework, and immediately go online to shoot at each other for a few hours. I'm talking middle school and high schoolers.

(funny how different groups think they have the high ground when they claim they're "Mature," eh?)

Thraktor

Possibly, and/or they're just being really really conservative with it. 512MB seems like a crapload for an embedded system, that's how much the iPad 2 and iPhone 4/4S have for comparison (while the first iPad and 3GS have 256MB).

I'd say they're just being conservative. Keep in mind that they're probably only just getting the OS to a feature-complete state, they'll probably spend the next few months slimming it down to 256MB or less. And, as with the 3DS, we could see further reductions in firmware updates post-launch.

antonz

As ideaman suggested. Its very likely the 512MB will shrink and it could shrink by as much as half or more depending on what they settle on as far as multitasking functions etc.

Nintendo always plays this stuff very safe and then lifts restrictions. Look at the 3DS they had the 2nd core entirely locked out initially as well as larger OS footprint and then they made the changes to open up alot more resources to developers.

DOA

haven't found anyone mentioning it (probably need glasses), but there's a patent showing the wiimote can interact with the Wii-U tablet:
patent info

got this from nintendolive

japtor

I'd say they're just being conservative. Keep in mind that they're probably only just getting the OS to a feature-complete state, they'll probably spend the next few months slimming it down to 256MB or less. And, as with the 3DS, we could see further reductions in firmware updates post-launch.
Right...hell even 256 seems like a lot reserved just for the OS functions. Multitasking (separate screen and controller functions) with simple stuff doesn't seem too crazy with that much memory.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

And the implication for game performances is good, hence why i stressed so much on the "stretching" of the Wii U capabilities, all the expected optimizations that will have results for developers, etc.

Concretely, let's say this studio is designing its game since 1 year with an amount of memory available for their applications of 1GB. They can't tap at all from at least 0,5GB. In a "OS optimization/trimming" scenario, they could have in the end 200MB more to play with, it's nothing to british-cup-of-tea-high-hat. And it's just one department from which possible optimizations could originates, there are several others.

DrWong

Right...hell even 256 seems like a lot reserved just for the OS functions. Multitasking (separate screen and controller functions) with simple stuff doesn't seem too crazy with that much memory.
I don't know why but I got the feeling Nintendo has more than "simple stuff" in the pipe. At least I hope it's the case.

Penguin

haven't found anyone mentioning it (probably need glasses), but there's a patent showing the wiimote can interact with the Wii-U tablet:
patent info

got this from nintendolive

Wasn't this known from the reveal though?

Had the part of the demo where rested the tablet on the floor to give you a better read of the course in Wii Golf?

Thraktor

Yeah, there are definitely going to be a few surprises at E3 on that front. One thing I speculated about before is that they're going to allow one person to play games on the Wii U pad while the console's also streaming Netflix or whatever to the TV for someone else.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So does that mean that Wii U has 1GB of ram where half of it is only for the OS? How disappointing if true :/

No, i've said earlier that developers are building their games with at least 1GB of memory available to them. But there's a huge other part of the total system memory that they can't access at all, and it's for the system features, etc.

Linkhero1

Yeah, there are definitely going to be a few surprises at E3 on that front. One thing I speculated about before is that they're going to allow one person to play games on the Wii U pad while the console's also streaming Netflix or whatever to the TV for someone else.

It would also be nice if they have it so one person can play VC games on the tablet while the other person plays a Wii U game on the television.

Hmm.. I'd skew that a bit younger. The CoD/Halo fans I know start young. They get home from school, throw down their lunch boxes and backpacks, forget about their long division math homework, and immediately go online to shoot at each other for a few hours. I'm talking middle school and high schoolers.

(funny how different groups think they have the high ground when they claim they're "Mature," eh?)

Yeah, you're probably right. But I have a big problem referring to anyone who relies on mommy and daddy for their gaming needs "hardcore". But I am sort of a Nazi with definitions and context. In the end real hardcore gamers (like the SDA guys, and a lot of MLG guys) mainly refers to how you're playing and what's being played.

But to be honest the whole "hardcore" label just strikes me as obnoxious and juvenile. The kind of shit I used to say when I was 15.

Strife91

No, i've said earlier that developers are building their games with at least 1GB of memory available to them. But there's a huge other part of the total system memory that they can't access at all, and it's for the system features, etc.

1.5 GB confirmed.

Thraktor

It would also be nice if they have it so one person can play VC games on the tablet while the other person plays a Wii U game on the television.

It's possible, but it would depend on the Wii U game being Wiimote-only, which I can't imagine very many will be. It also wouldn't need anywhere near 512MB of RAM, but then again I don't suppose Netflix would either.

japtor

And the implication for game performances is good, hence why i stressed so much on the "stretching" of the Wii U capabilities, all the expected optimizations that will have results for developers, etc.

Concretely, let's say this studio is designing its game since 1 year with an amount of memory available for their applications of 1GB. They can't tap at all from at least 0,5GB. In a "OS optimization/trimming" scenario, they could have in the end 200MB more to play with, it's nothing to british-cup-of-tea-high-hat. And it's just one department of the possible optimizations, there are several others.
Now you're making it sound like there's only 1GB total.

Doooooomed!

(I can't tell if you're doing that on purpose or your French to vague English style is doing that)*
I don't know why but I got the feeling Nintendo has more than "simple stuff" in the pipe. At least I hope it's the case.
Well computationally simple, I wouldn't expect something maxing out the CPU/GPU resources and doing something else complex on the other screen cause that could possibly mess with performance. Doesn't necessarily mean super simple stuff but I'd expect limits depending on the resource usage, like Netflix would probably be fine, more complex stuff like VC games or a web browser could be a gray area depending on how much is required (although in the case of the browser, stuff could just be rendered slower I guess).
No, i've said earlier that developers are building their games with at least 1GB of memory available to them. But there's a huge other part of the total system memory that they can't access at all.
*So it was just your funky English.

Linkhero1

It's possible, but it would depend on the Wii U game being Wiimote-only, which I can't imagine very many will be. It also wouldn't need anywhere near 512MB of RAM, but then again I don't suppose Netflix would either.

Well, it could work vice versa with the Wii U game on the padlet and the VC game on the TV. You're right though. It depends on the controller setup, but it would definitely be nice to be able to do this with some games. I think they'll go as far as to do what you have said, with one person streaming netflix through the tv and other person playing their game on the tablet.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If it's possible to have the OS start and operate in safe mode (with only basic drivers) and unless a certain program is required to run in conjunction with every game, I think Nintendo ought to open up the system for people who wanna experiment. For some developers maybe the Classic Controller (Pro) is as interesting as the Wii U Remote, why should they be hindered by some programs they probably don't even need?

Are there OS level functions/instructions Nintendo requires are implemented in every game released for the system, that take up a large portion of the system's RAM (and other sources as well perhaps)?

Nice news anyway, because this tells me that it isn't impossible for things (graphics) to improve in quality should the first batch of games (third-party) be booed at. Although getting there might be difficult.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
There better be 2GB of memory in there.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Now you're making it sound like there's only 1GB total.

Doooooomed!

(I can't tell if you're doing that on purpose or your French to vague English style is doing that)*

Well computationally simple, I wouldn't expect something maxing out the CPU/GPU resources and doing something else complex on the other screen cause that could possibly mess with performance. Doesn't necessarily mean super simple stuff but I'd expect limits depending on the resource usage, like Netflix would probably be fine, more complex stuff like VC games or a web browser could be a gray area depending on how much is required (although in the case of the browser, stuff could just be rendered slower I guess).

*So it was just your funky English.

Hey !! :p

Concretely, let's say this studio is designing its game since 1 year with an amount of memory available for their applications of 1GB. They can't tap at all from at least 0,5GB. In a "OS optimization/trimming" scenario, they could have in the end 200MB more to play with, it's nothing to british-cup-of-tea-high-hat. And it's just one department of the possible optimizations, there are several others

It's built-in-the-words, "available for their applications" means "there's another part of the total memory pool not available to them"
1GB available for their applications, for their games, for them
and at least 0,5GB not available for their applications, for them

I explained it in math terms, with X Y Z in thread 3 i guess.

I need a signature with a summary of all the things i wrote with hyperlinks

All is tied, i just spread it since 3 months (with some updated news because what i get is evolving a tad) but i can't explain everything again and again you know :p

Akai

Rösti;38001827 said:
Nice news anyway, because this tells me that it isn't impossible for things (graphics) to improve in quality should the first batch of games (third-party) be booed at. Although getting there might be difficult.

Visuals will improve regardless throughout the generation, just as with all other generations and systems...

Rösti;38001827 said:
If it's possible to have the OS start and operate in safe mode (with only basic drivers) and unless a certain program is required to run in conjunction with every game, I think Nintendo ought to open up the system for people who wanna experiment. For some developers maybe the Classic Controller (Pro) is as interesting as the Wii U Remote, why should they be hindered by some programs they probably don't even need?

Are there OS level functions/instructions Nintendo requires are implemented in every game released for the system, that take up a large portion of the system's RAM (and other sources as well perhaps)?

I FULLY agree with this. A homebrew-enabled Wii U with access given by Nintendo would be amazing. Maybe a section of memory gated off, reasonable access to low level functions and the CPU/GPU for this and a few tools would be great. The dev community would love it and it would be a 100% better console. Won't happen due to piracy reasons, but it'd be nice.

My only question is what they'll do with the filesystem on external drives. How secure do we really believe Nintendo to be, and follow up on security if necessary?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Visuals will improve regardless throughout the generation, just as with all other generations and systems...
Well of course, but more RAM memory available for developers to use can both on short and long term mean (even) better visuals.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;38001827 said:

Yeah, if the software layer is this large/extensive, i hope that for some games (solo centered, without any online functions), developers will be able to shut down some features that would otherwise run in background like voice chat, knowing which of your friends are connected and text chatting with them, yadda yadda, to free some resources. There would be a "push the home button" problem then but they could circumvent it (basically, you'll have to wait a moment for these features to be loaded).

And yup, i think i said in my very first message, everything i've heard made me believe there are huge room for optimizations with this system, from the hardware, the development tools, the time needed to be accustomed of asymmetrical/dual screen setting, etc etc.

japtor

Pretty much. It's what I think is the perfect mix of the artistic strengths of TP, SS, and WW.
It would cause such an amazing meltdown.
I FULLY agree with this. A homebrew-enabled Wii U with access given by Nintendo would be amazing. Maybe a section of memory gated off, reasonable access to low level functions and the CPU/GPU for this and a few tools would be great. The dev community would love it and it would be a 100% better console. Won't happen due to piracy reasons, but it'd be nice.

My only question is what they'll do with the filesystem on external drives. How secure do we really believe Nintendo to be, and follow up on security if necessary?
That's kind of what the ES OS sounds like it aims to do...
http://code.google.com/p/es-operating-system/wiki/XV_Semana_Informatica
(not really low level access, but sounds like most stuff needed is accessible but abstracted through javascript)

Penguin

I never understood how this was such a negative for Nintendo. Reggie could sell me two cans and a string as an online gaming chat device.

I like the interview.. and kind of what want more from the gaming media.

He pressed Reggie on the issues, Reggie kept to his talking points.

I think people.. just wanted to make a shitstorm out of it because its not something you see often in gaming

Nibel

Been waiting for that too. They should at least have more to say about Nintendo than they did about Sony.

Sony's Conference gonna be booooooriiiiiiiing. (I bet.)

I think MS will set a new standard for boring conferences if they don't show Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom