• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Has he ever said anything of real value?

"There are dev kits out there, and they have big graphics and stuff"

Thanks, IdeaMan.

He's been more reassuring than anything, telling us vague things such as the Wii U's ability to handle impressive graphics but that sacrifices might have to be made if there is heavy Upad use, insisting that the on par comments are grossly inaccurate, hinting at the current status of dev kits and what 3rd parties presently have access to.

He teases a lot about titles he knows are in development but wont name and features he's heard about but wont outright discuss. He's adamant that people in the thread should take his tiny nudges and clues and try to figure out what he knows and then points out the "correct" ones by saying the particular poster is the closest to the truth without actually clearly laying out what the real bit of information really was.

I don't necessarily think he's a fraud, but he does tip toe a lot around saying anything really substantial without having other people suggest it outright first. I think the guy is sincere, but he does seem to get off a bit on trying to manipulate us into participating in one giant tedious guessing game.

I do think he has legit info though.

filler

Banned
Yea well, I've been here for over 7 years, have I ever once taunted people or played with news because it was 'fun'? I have far too much respect for the industry, my career, and that of my friends' jobs. I think what's going on here is kind of rude, obnoxious, and not fair to people who generally are excited about an upcoming product announcement.

YES!
YES!
YES!

Dude is seriously annoying, but I guess he's enjoying his own bullshit. The minor info he gives is never worth actually reading through his posts either.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot to bold meaningless lines.
This is a particularly hilarious example:
So if the info is real in the end, it will be another alteration from the controller shown at E3 2011 (and subsequent showrooms, rayman leaks, etc.) added to a rather long list.
A controller with clickable analogue sticks/pads would be different from the one we've seen before? Holy shit, stop the presses!
No, I think he just sincerely believes he's being fun and stimulating and that we should be grateful for it.
No, I think Smiles and Cries got it right.

Basically IdeaMan... RELEASE THE KRAKEN! (if you have one)

If not, please stop teasing us. :)

"ok I have news about dev kit
But first things first. A teaser :p"

We're so desperate for info that we've been led around for months like poor little children analyzing breadcrumbs from this odd french guy. "OMG THE RAM/FLOPS/DEV KITS!? HYPE MAYBE!?"

Instro

I dunno, I don't mind Ideaman's style of posting. It's not like he is really being a dick, it just seems like he is as excited as we are. At the very least I appreciate that the puts a fair amount of time into each of his posts to explain what he is posting and where it is coming from and so on.

guek

Banned
I don't really care about it either. Would I rather have the info rather than waiting? Sometimes. Overall I'm indifferent!

Yeah, I'm mostly in the same boat. And I'll say this right now because we all know he's going to read every one of these posts: Ideaman, I don't mind your presence in the thread at all, but you occasionally act very entitled and that can get grating.

Haha. If I did it, it wouldn't have been on accident. :)

Originally I thought the GPU would be 28nm, but after more reading and some things mentioned by wsippel I shifted to 32nm. From the things I looked at the main thing I noticed is that Nintendo seems pretty consisted of using main nodes over half nodes. You can read about the differences here. The press release for the CPU said the process was on 45nm which is a main node continuing that trend with the CPU. Based on Nintendo's history and desire to keep it as cool as possible a 32nm GPU seems the most logical vs 40nm or 28nm used for recent/current PC GPUs.

I mentioned the first dev kit looked like the GC/Wii early dev kit with half the height. Lherre said they were on the "ugly, retail version".

Nice info/analysis, thanks.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I don't mind Ideaman's style of posting. It's not like he is really being a dick, it just seems like he is as excited as we are
He's excited to flaunt his alleged insider information over the hoards of desperate, salivating fans and have fun at their expense, yeah.

Yeah, I'm mostly in the same boat. And I'll say this right now because we all know he's going to read every one of these posts: Ideaman, I don't mind your presence in the thread at all, but you occasionally act very entitled and that can get grating.
I don't mind him posting here as long as he drops the entitledness and the teasing act. His responses to criticism are juvenile and arrogant, and it just rubs me the wrong way.

I totally understand how his method of almost delivering information can cause supreme annoyance, but I feel the need to defend IdeaMan because he brings a lot of good to this thread *beyond* the discussion of secrets.

He seems to be one of a seemingly small number of people who actively try to discuss the potential gameplay applications raised by the DRC, and he never gets caught in that endless speczchat rut that we find ourselves in on a daily basis. I find that a breath of fresh air.

Van Owen

Banned
I like how people think there is a magic "low" switch devs will be able to flip to get UE4 on Wii U.

If Wii U is popular we'll likely just get UE3 versions of multi-platform stuff. Pretty much falls in line with reports that Wii is very close to 360 in terms of power.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wii U Speculation Thread V: Dogpile on IdeaMan

I don't mean to be mean, but I'm just tired of these posts especially with E3 now less than a month away. They were okay at first, but I really haven't learned anything substantial, personally.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I totally understand how his method of almost delivering information can cause supreme annoyance, but I feel the need to defend IdeaMan because he brings a lot of good to this thread *beyond* the discussion of secrets.

He seems to be one of a seemingly small number of people who actively try to discuss the potential gameplay applications raised by the DRC, and he never gets caught in that endless speczchat rut that we find ourselves knob a daily basis. I find that a breath if fresh air.
That's what I'm most interested in this thread for, which is why I don't mind his presence here outside of the ridiculous teasing BS.

Three way battle between Arkham, lherre and IdeaMan, who wins?
Well, two of them have been verified.

antonz

I like how people think there is a magic "low" switch devs will be able to flip to get UE4 on Wii U.

If Wii U is popular we'll likely just get UE3 versions of multi-platform stuff. Pretty much falls in line with reports that Wii is very close to 360 in terms of power.

Actually its pretty believeable there would be that magical low switch you are using to try and mock here. When Epic states something is intended for a certain thing you can certainly bet they are speaking in the maximum potential sense not 720P 30fps

It's gonna get real awkward when IdeaMan shows back up.

Have you ever heard of the term scalable?

Actually its pretty believeable there would be that magical low switch you are using to try and mock here. When Epic states something is intended for a certain thing you can certainly bet they are speaking in the maximum potential sense not 720P 30fps

No! No for ever! Epic only develops UE4 for hardcore games on True NeXt Gen Gaming Systems.

And iphones.

not really :p

You're only saying that because you think I'm impotent.

Game-Biz

I think if IdeaMan actually had something of substance he would have told us so it could be verified at E3 and his reputation set in good standing. Also, is this guy getting money or something from all this? Or is he doing this just for free? Cause I kind of doubt his alleged "source(s)" is risking his or her job by just giving this info for free. I mean, isn't that the the gig? As the source, you get payed for the risk of getting caught for leaking NDA information.

So,

Scenario 1: IdeaMan is paying this source, and is getting money from someone* for leaking it onto the net.

Scenario 2: IdeaMan is paying his source, but isn't getting payed himself for leaking it.

Scemaro 3: IdeaMan is getting payed, but his source is not.

Scenario 4: Neither IdeaMan nor his source are getting payed.

Or maybe the source and him are just friends and doing for the lulz.

Regardless, from what I have read from his posts, the info he details would be kind of difficult to verify true or false either at this E3 or in the future.

*Which would have to be Neogaf since it's getting the hits.

EDarkness

I'm gonna defend him as well. He was the one who told us about Rayman Legends before the trailer was released. Maybe you don't like his style, treating the guy like crap for it isn't good at all. He has added quite a bit to discussions and even engages us with new ideas and theories. People shouldn't take this current situation as an avenue to straight up dog the guy. It's getting a little out of hand.

Van Owen

Banned
It really is like taking to a wall with some people in here. Epic is flat out telling you that UE4 is for platforms that aren't announced yet, and some of you are still grasping at straws. Not to mention there are rumors about 360 and PS3 ports having trouble running on Wii U, but somehow it's still going to run UE4 at 720p 30fps?

You're going to be disappointed.

antonz

I think if IdeaMan actually had something of substance he would have told us so it could be verified at E3 and his reputation set in good standing. Also, is this guy getting money or something from all this? Or is he doing this just for free? Cause I kind of doubt his alleged "source(s)" is risking his or her's job by just giving this info for free. I mean, isn't that the the gig? As the source, you get payed for the risk of getting caught for leaking NDA information.

So,

Scenario 1: IdeaMan is paying this source, and is getting money from someone* for leaking it onto the net.

Scenario 2: IdeaMan is paying his source, but isn't getting payed himself for leaking it.

Scemaro 3: IdeaMan is getting payed, but his source is not.

Scenario 4: Neither IdeaMan nor his source are getting payed.

Or maybe the source and him are just friends and doing for the lulz.

Regardless, from what I have read from his posts, the info he details would be kind of difficult to verify true or false either at this E3 or in the future.

*Which would have to be Neogaf since it's getting the hits.

Well he has said he will make a big thread revealing stuff when he is a member. thats like 2 weeks away I believe it was said

It really is like taking to a wall with some people in here. Epic is flat out telling you that UE4 is for platforms that aren't announced yet, and some of you are still grasping at straws. Not to mention there are rumors about 360 and PS3 ports having trouble running on Wii U, but somehow it's still going to run UE4 at 720p 30fps?

Or some of us have a clue of what the Wii U can potentially do. Which is more than half a dozen people in this thread at a minimum

My respect for IdeaMan goes as far as warning him about this kind of backlash, beyond that you just have to let the guy do his thing.

I don't really see the big deal, if you don't like his posts ignore it.

I believe he does have a source or sources, everything else is just too vague for my taste on news my most respected news poster on GAF is neo2046 (aka BUDDHA AND JESUS) just the facts and the links :)

too bad he cannot pass the Nintendo Ninjas and he does not live in France where leaks are Ninja free

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna defend him as well. He was the one who told us about Rayman Legends before the trailer was released. Maybe you don't like his style, treating the guy like crap for it isn't good at all. He has added quite a bit to discussions and even engages us with new ideas and theories. People shouldn't take this current situation as an avenue to straight up dog the guy. It's getting a little out of hand.
The guy has been having fun at the thread's expense for a good while now and getting worshipped for it. A big backlash has been a long time coming.

My respect for IdeaMan goes as far as warning him about this kind of backlash, beyond that you just have to let the guy do his thing.

I don't really see the big deal, if you don't like his posts ignore it.

I believe he does have a source or sources, everything else is just too vague for my taste on news my most respected news poster on GAF is neo2046 (aka BUDDHA AND JESUS) just the facts and the links :)

too bad he cannot pass the Nintendo Ninjas and he does not live in France where leaks are Ninja free
Not like he and the rest of gaf signed an NDA :p

I should point out that IM is likely part of a short list of people who datadumped at HylianTom's inbox a few weeks ago.

We should be able to determine legitimacy rather accurately come E3.

Of course, lherre was comfortable with IdeaMan's level of Wii U knowledge, as well.

Let's focus: I understand the annoyance at his occasionally brainbending delivery,but going about like he's a fraud seems rather silly to me.

donny2112

Not to mention there are rumors about 360 and PS3 ports having trouble running on Wii U,

Because it's not a superset of all the detailed technical features in the current-gen consoles, not because it's weaker or even on-par. PS2 games have to be re-made to work on PS3. That does not make PS3 weaker than PS2, though. :p

guek

Banned

You are evidently not interested in an intelligent discussion based on precedent and well documented knowledge regarding the functions and operations of modern graphics engines. Since you've already made up your mind about what is true and not true and merely want to hear it repeated, I suggest you obtain for yourself a box with slightly larger dimensions then that of your head and speak your opinions to yourself while your head is enclosed in said box.

Linkhero1

Yea well, I've been here for over 7 years, have I ever once taunted people or played with news because it was 'fun'? I have far too much respect for the industry, my career, and that of my friends' jobs. I think what's going on here is kind of rude, obnoxious, and not fair to people who generally are excited about an upcoming product announcement.

I applaud you. Much respect John.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I should point out that IM is likely part of a short list of people who datadumped at HylianTom's inbox a few weeks ago.

We should be able to determine legitimacy rather accurately come E3.

Of course, lherre was comfortable with IdeaMan's level of Wii U knowledge, as well.

Let's focus: I understand the annoyance at his occasionally brainbending delivery,but going about like he's a fraud seems rather silly to me.
The issue isn't even whether he's legitimate any more. Even if he has the best source and the best information anyone outside of Nintendo has about the Wii U, he's still a smug attention seeker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom