• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has gone gold

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does going gold even mean anything these days considering they'll likely continue to work on it and patch it?

It means the same thing it has always meant: that the game is in a state fit for public consumption. It's undeniable that games these days are more prone to bugs than in the past, but cases like AssCreed Unity, where the gold build is nigh on unplayable, are rare exceptions.

RDreamer

So excited! I just beat Witcher 1 and then finished 2 a few days ago. Going through as much of the books as I can now.

KyleCross

So after the delays it ends up going Gold a month before the final release date.

Just how big of a Day 1 patch are we talkin' here?

Daverid

So after the delays it ends up going Gold a month before the final release date.

Just how big of a Day 1 patch are we talkin' here?

Pretty much every game goes gold 2-4 weeks before release, delays don't mean you can hold off until 1 week before release, as you've got to confirm certification, create discs, ship to retail stores etc.

As for the day one patch? Who knows. However we do know that CDPR have stated that this time around they've made a much bigger effort to ensure a solid product "Out of the Box". Considering the game is DRM-Free, and some people are bound to buy it and won't have the solid internet to muck around with a day one patch, CDPR wanted to have a game that works well without the need for that patch.
There could always be some overlooked horrible bugs, but hopefully not and they've done a good job with the 1.0 version, we'll have to wait and see.

ironcreed

Banned
1254334927_celebration-dance.gif

Ready and waiting.

Jb

1403735254559resv0.gif

Man I hope it's as good as it promises to be, and cements CDProjekt's positions as one of the great RPG devs.

D-VoN

Well I'm interested in seeing how my 4GB 770 handles this game at 1440p. I'm assuming not very well.... shit....

Madness

Don't know whether to pick this up or not. Not sure how much I'll enjoy it. Haven't really ever played the previous games so I don't know what to expect.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dang i can't wait. When does steam pre-load usually go up?

Depends on the publisher. Worst case, aside from never, is mere hours before release(1) while the best case thus far is a week(2). The Witcher 3 is most certainly going to have some sort of pre-load period; I'm more interested in whether or not it'll have a staggered unlock schedule (i.e. defined by region/time zone rather than everybody being forced to wait for the one moment).

(1) Wolf14 had no official pre-load period; instead, once the game unlocked here in Australia, Valve also changed the general release state to preloadonly, which allowed those waiting to download at least some of the game. Here's hoping The Old Blood doesn't meet a similar fate.

(2) GTAV, just edging out the previous record holder, Resident Evil Revs. 2 (six days).

Fox318

1403735254559resv0.gif

Man I hope it's as good as it promises to be, and cements CDProjekt's positions as one of the great RPG devs.

Honestly they could have just released Witcher 1 and they would have been cemented.

Not many companies would have made a game like that back then.

misho8723

Banned
Well, great to hear about this :)

And about that Day 1 patch - well, there's a bug in the prologue area, the sun rises from the wrong direction :D so they need to fix this atleast

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
great maybe we can finally get some news or gameplay of console versions, you know the version people will also buy when they dont have pc's.....

HildyB

hope it has that feature where you get little items for misc quests like the previous game. Loved my butt tattoo after doing the drunk bar quest..

Respawn

Banned
Man oh man I'm hyped but the rituals in this game are battling against the pure light of my soul.
Maybe I can skip those parts. I guess we shall see.

Top Bottom