• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 pushed back to February 2015

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm sad but I'm also happy that they're not compromising on quality. After the state BF4 shipped in, my views on game delays has shifted drastically. Take all the time you need, CDPR.

Yeah, I'm surprised at all the people that keep freaking out when a game is delayed now that we've dealt with BF4. You don't want the undelayed version of the game.

I wish more games (and for that matter, movies) were pushed back to give the developers more time to get it right. Everything is unpolished and rushed out these days. Kudos.

Luthos

Yeah, I'm surprised at all the people that keep freaking out when a game is delayed now that we've dealt with BF4. You don't want the undelayed version of the game.

I think people can be upset at a delay, but still understand it's necessary and rather have it than an unfinished release.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Sweet, that gives me time to beat Alan Wake, Arkham City, Deus Ex: HR, Dust, FEZ, Metro 2033, Rage, Trine 2, Valdis Story, XCom: EU, and Ys 1 & 2!

meanspartan

Well, looks like I can hold off upgrading my 7850 until next year's round of GPUs is out since this was primarily what would have pushed it on PC.

I could do Ps4 version too....but we'll see. This game looks so ludicrously good may be worth an upgraded GPU to get the maximum effect.

Linkyn

I actually prefer they take all the time they need. 2-3 months can make all the difference in the world when it comes to game development.

Violater

I wish more games (and for that matter, movies) were pushed back to give the developers more time to get it right. Everything is unpolished and rushed out these days. Kudos.

Yes budgets and project management be damned, now they will need 20 million sales to break even.

Seems to happen every year. The holiday season gets too crowded, Batman just joined the fold and most likely more will join as well, and some games get pushed to early part of next year.

So long as they use the time to improve the game I see no problem with it.

Sentenza

Really curious why they announced it way early. Won't be surprised if it might will be changed or cancelled.
Well, they said quite explicitly why: they weren't just promoting the product, but also looking for more people willing to work on it to hire.

NotUS

Really curious why they announced it way early. Won't be surprised if it might will be changed or cancelled.

To test the market with this IP, and entice developers to join CDPR.

No way Cyperpunk will be cancelled, it will be bigger than the Witcher series for them.

At last count CDPR were around 300 staff strong, ~ 180 working on Witcher 3, 40 on Red Engine and the rest on Cyberpunk. As each stage of W3 development finishes, the team moves over to Cyberpunk.

It makes logical sense that this delay will push the Cyberpunk date back.

Log4Girlz

Honestly this seems like a better date.

Fall is going to be really rough this year from a marketing competition perspective.

Absolutely right. I don't get the sense that the Witcher is that big a name yet outside really enthusiast circles and this game seems real ambitious, they need some breathing room.

I'd rather they take their time and make it as close to perfect as humanly possible rather than release it early with bugs and have to spend the next year "fixing" it. The devs behind The Witcher franchise are some of the most common sensical dudes in gaming from what little I've read of their general public responses to various issues. They can look around at the industry just as easily as the rest of us and, for example, thoughtfully consider what DICE did with BF4 and decide they want to avoid that type of reputation ruining cluster-fuck.

Daingurse

Honestly this seems like a better date.

Fall is going to be really rough this year from a marketing competition perspective.

Probably, would love to say that I couldn't care less, but I genuinely want the best for CDPR. Frankly no game competed against Witcher 3 for me this year, but now, no game has to lol.

RedSwirl

In related news, I just found out the third novel came out in English last week... in the UK. UK retailers are already selling it to Americans online, but the US edition doesn't come out until June, and that includes digital versions which will be cheaper...

And the end of Time of Contempt makes the wait even harder.

Bummer :( I only played a bit of the first one and didn't really enjoy it, but the second one looked great, and this one looks even better.

Oh well, at least it means they aren't rushing it and we will get a more polished end product of a very ambitious game

Majukun

a late game is late until it's released,a bad game is bad forever [shiggy miyamoto-san]

I'm ok with the delay

Bear

I'm disappointed since it was my most anticipated 2014 game, but I'd prefer they take their time with this. The change in scale is pretty ambitious and I don't want them to bite off more than they can chew.

Gammacide

100% ok with the delay. They make high quality products and they know their craft. Good art takes time so more power to them. Excited to finally dive into that world again! (Equally as excited for Cyberpunk of course too.)

Fasty

This is actually awesome. It gives me time to play through the Witcher 2 first AND save up for a new video card!

Aruhamel

Banned
Has someone already made the joke about a Polish game needing more polish? No? Then allow me to be the first.

Delays are always good (barring cases of development hell). Games are quite different from books and movies in that there always tends to be more that could be implemented, and not doing so is typically a result of limited money/time.

Top Bottom