• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

You seem to only be reading the negatives to reinforce the opinion you already had.

He has a history in the other threads with his distaste for the entire series. For him, he will probably hate it, but maybe fall in that 10% bracket? I wouldn't worry.

Kosma

Banned
That IGN review doesn't match the score they gave it. It's just i as I thought, 100 hours with loads of padding and meaningless fetch quests, exactly the same as dragon Age Inquisition. The first paragraph was about how huge the open world was.. Same as da:I. Combine this with the shitty UI and inventory system means it's not a purchase for me.

1244709959_drunken_darts.gif

It feels like the culmination of an incredible journey for CD Projekt Red. Hopefully it is onwards and upwards for them from here.

Roll on next Tuesday. My under minimum spec 580 is(n't) ready!

Not everyone has to gush every time a new game comes out, like what happened when DA:I was released..
Indeed, look what happened, months later it placed #4 on GAF's GOTY list.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, but let's not act like everyone thinks that game is shit.

Grief.exe

I knew the game would look awesome and have a good story and music. The last one did. But it was such a chore to play through and the combat and menu systems were awful. I hope they would have addressed this but it's clear they didn't.

I can't stand when they say how large the map is and how the game has over 100 hours of gameplay, it means artifical padding and filler missions, which is what the reviews are saying.

Not everyone has to gush every time a new game comes out, like what happened when DA:I was released..

The mainstream ate it up, but I got the impression that GAF had some serious criticisms for DAI.

slash3584

I knew the game would look awesome and have a good story and music. The last one did. But it was such a chore to play through and the combat and menu systems were awful. I hope they would have addressed this but it's clear they didn't.

I can't stand when they say how large the map is and how the game has over 100 hours of gameplay, it means artifical padding and filler missions, which is what the reviews are saying.

Shit :(

Do they mention the if they menus and combat are awful again?

I'm at work and can't really read it right now xD

Quote videogamer.com

Side missions as fun as the main campaign

Damn, what a powerful case of confirmation bias.

Can you not say that for the majority in here getting exciting over the good things that they wanted being highlighted? I fail to see what would be the point of the review if someone can't find their fears realized and decide not to purchase.

Lakitu

st5fu
Everything sounds fucking amazing bar the fetch quests and framerate issues (which I really hope the Day 1 patch fixes).

Seems like CDPR have raised the bar for every other RPG developer out there. Amazing.

Lucifon

the fact only VG seem to have this problem so significantly, makes me wonder if theres a problem with their debug ps4.
Hope we get some information about this from other reviewers

IGN -
The one caveat on all that though, is the technical performance on the PS4 version I played for review. 30 frames per second was sometimes too much to ask, transitions between The Witcher 3’s two main maps are just a bit too long, and minor glitches do pop up from time to time. None of it ever impacted gameplay in any meaningful way, thought it did compromise the beauty of the experience ever so slightly.

Nheco

Hype Delivered - CHECK

It was a looong time since the last game I played that fully corresponded to the hype. Can't wait till 05/19

zlatko

Banned
My body is beyond ready.

I wish I wasn't gone for work until the Friday after release, but that whole weekend after its release I will be BALLS DEEP in some Geralt ploughing.

styl3s

Part of me can't wait till that 1 review comes out, you know, the one where the guy puts it on full blast and gives it a 2/5 or 6/10.

This week wait is gonna kill me.

Altairre

That IGN review doesn't match the score they gave it. It's just i as I thought, 100 hours with loads of padding and meaningless fetch quests, exactly the same as dragon Age Inquisition. The first paragraph was about how huge the open world was.. Same as da:I. Combine this with the shitty UI and inventory system means it's not a purchase for me.

The reviews I read specifically said that the devs did a great job avoiding the typical fetchquests and that a lot of the narrative that comes with them is really neat. I mean the devs went out of their way to state their dislike of the fetchquests in Inquisition. I'm optimistic.

Indeed, look what happened, it placed #4 on GAF's GOTY list. Let's not act like everyone thinks that game is shit.
Exactly. It's a fucking terrible game. You can't trust opinions on this forum if they don't usually match your own. If I followed gafs game of the year list, I'd own only the last of us, dragon Age and knack.

One curious question, I've had the game pre-ordered for close to a year, I'm kind of hopping into this completely blind and I haven't played the first two Witcher games despite owning them forever on Steam. Should I try to play some of those games before Witcher 3, or think I should just dive right into it?

There's a section early on where they will ask you questions about The Witcher 2 choices. If don't know anything about it, you're flying blind.

It does feel a lot like a different offshoot of DA:I's basic game loop, since it's an open-world RPG.

Kotaku also mentioned the framerate (on PS4). Heads up-

Yep, on PS4 it will slowdown and hitch.

Yeah. Totally worried about the framerate on consoles.

Will wait and see what actual people think. Waiting for a patch or 4 always seems smart for a open world game.

MaLDo

Yeah, I read similar quotes in every AAA game lauch. Bloodborne, Project CARS, AC Unity, TW3, Evolve, The Evil Within, etc.... every fucking time.

"Ey boys, don't worry, there are performance fixes in Day 1 patch. Don't listen pre-release date reviews performance complaints".

Big problem is when reviewers avoid to comment on the issue because the dev promise that these problems will be fixed with this day 1 patch reviewers can't install.

Kama_1082

Banned
Thank the heavens for my pc version. Want the best possible experience on this incredible game. Hugs pc
I have a very capable PC and was considering picking up the PS4 version to so I can play in the living room, but I can't deal with that crap so I'll just stay with my PC version

Jawmuncher

Still keeping my expectations in check. Ever since the GTA4 reviews touted it as the best thing. I've always been pretty wary of any game getting nothing but high marks.

Hugstable

Banned
Holy shit those reviews. I was so glad when I finally remembered this week that I had pre-ordered this on Steam at like this time last year! I can't believe I almost forgot I completely already owned this game! WOOOOOOO BRING ON THE GERALT!

Grady

Devs made it a big point to say they avoided fetch quests yet ign review states the main quest is bogged down by an overwhelming amount of fetch quests.

Top Bottom