• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt exceeds 1 MILLION pre-orders worldwide!

Not surprising. It looks like it's the Skyrim of this generation.
Fallout 4 will be released way too late

Skyrim came out in late 2011, a full 5/6 years after the generation started.

Fallout 4, if I had to guess, won't be later than Fall 2016, all of 3 years after the generation started.

tuxfool

Banned
Surely this number is only on PC and/or digital XB1 and PS4 sales?

Would they also be counting preorders at retail stores?

tcrunch

I forgot that this has reviews releasing starting tomorrow (!!) so might be able to preorder even if I was waiting for reviews.

https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/597649019297472512
cSIEa3u.png

Caja 117

waiting in line day 1 is just as bad as pre-ordering, the whole concept is to wait and see if the game is actually worth the money before encouraging them

is this a serious post? if I want something, while should i wait to see if others liked it so I can get it? not to mention, I preordered the Limited Edition, So, in a world with no preorders, I would had to wait probably one whole day in a line and see if Im lucky to buy this item , "actually worth the money" ...Im not buying a car or a house here.

Preorders its good for the consumer because they can reserve a copy of what they want and not be scared that they are going to be left out due to supply constraints.

So when you pre-order a game, does the publisher/developer gets pay right away, correct? I presume so, but I remember when the Witcher 3 got delayed last time, I had the game pre-order on PSN but got an email from Sony telling me that the game had been delayed and giving me the option to cancel the pre-order and have my money returned to my account, which got me thinking had Sony already transferred the money to CDPR then they wouldn't really be able to return it to me, would they? is not like they can ask them to give it back, right? so at that point would a transfer of funds between Sony and CDPR had happened?

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DOWNGRADE GUYZ??!!

There's a specific thread for that so other threads aren't derailed with that kind of talk...

I'll wait for reviews to decide if this large number of pre-orders is a good thing. Who knows. The game could still turn out to be a massive stinker and then we'll all look silly for praising them :p

FLAguy954

not_having_it.gif

Well, the pre-order culture continues to be encouraged :/.

I am not surprised one bit.

I'll just wait for reviews and the PC performance thread then try to find the game for under $30 when I can.

imBask

Banned
is this a serious post? if I want something, while should i wait to see if others liked it so I can get it? not to mention, I preordered the Limited Edition, So, in a world with no preorders, I would had to wait probably one whole day in a line and see if Im lucky to buy this item , "actually worth the money" Im not buying a car or a house here.

Preorders its good for the consumer because they can reserve a copy of what they want and not be scared that they are going to be left out due to supply constraints.

nah, i'm not talking about "did it get a good score", more like "is it playable"

Simcity 5 is a good exemple, EA are swimming in money as we speak because of that disaster

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Surely this number is only on PC and/or digital XB1 and PS4 sales?

Would they also be counting preorders at retail stores?

Clearly they are counting retail. Though I wonder how well retail preorder #s are. In the US to be exact. Despite the big push, I can't find any GameStop stores in my region with midnight launches (which are an indicator of bigger preorder #s).

boskee

So when you pre-order a game, does the publisher/developer gets pay right away, correct? I presume so, but I remember when the Witcher 3 got delayed last time, I had the game pre-order on PSN but got an email from Sony telling me that the game had been delayed and giving me the option to cancel the pre-order and have my money returned to my account, which got me thinking had Sony already transferred the money to CDPR then they wouldn't really be able to return it to me, would they? is not like they can ask them to give it back, right? so at that point would a transfer of funds between Sony and CDPR had happened?

Well, Sony is yet to take money for my digital preorder.

Vintage

I'll definitely buy this game, but will wait until tomorrow for reviews just because of the idea of not-preordering blindly.

Denton

The game could turn out to be a massive pile of shit. Then the developer gets rewarded for creating a bad game, and it'll be too late to "vote with our wallets."

The probability of that is so close to zero it might as well not exist.

Plus anyway, CDP did the right thing and reviews will come out week before launch. So anyone can cancel if they want.

I haven't made my preorder decision yet (leaning digital), but unless impressions/reviews are terrible, I expect I'll be playing it soon. My only hesitation is that I haven't played the series before.

I only occasionally preorder, but I'm good about judging what I'll like and I like what I have seen so far.

RDreamer

waiting in line day 1 is just as bad as pre-ordering, the whole concept is to wait and see if the game is actually worth the money before encouraging them

Wait for what? For who?

The reviews come out tomorrow, and even before the reviews there's literally hours upon hours upon hours of footage out there in the wild. Exactly whose opinion am I waiting for when you say I shouldn't even buy it on day 1? What's happening on day 1 that will inform me even more?

The game could turn out to be a massive pile of shit. Then the developer gets rewarded for creating a bad game, and it'll be too late to "vote with our wallets."

People pre-order a game from an independent developer with a great history. It's not the end of the world. If you don't want to pre-order then just don't pre-order.

Almost every single place you preorder allows you to get your money back.

Sooooo...

I know you can't on GMG and I don't think you can on Steam. At least not once the game is out. You're delivered it automatically.

FLAguy954

A definite blow to the so called "don't pre order games" movement.

I don't think it was really a 'movement' but a personal resolve to wait for more information on a game that isn't trickled out by the dev, whether it is performance or game play metrics.

People can pre-order or day one whatever the fuck they want. For me, a dev's track record has no bearing on the next product they release and they won't see my money until I have solid proof that the game runs well on my hardware and that it is worth my time.

Qassim

I find it pretty easy to judge if it will be a "massive pile of shit" or not pre-release. Haven't been wrong yet ;)

tcrunch

I haven't made my preorder decision yet (leaning digital), but unless impressions/reviews are terrible, I expect I'll be playing it soon. My only hesitation is that I haven't played the series before.

I only occasionally preorder, but I'm good about judging what I'll like and I like what I have seen so far.

Play Witcher 2, do Iorveth path, skip optional stuff like "kill 7 cockroaches", you can probably get it done before the third one comes out.

Just don't skip any troll quests.

The probability of that is so close to zero it might as well not exist.

Plus anyway, CDP did the right thing and reviews will come out week before launch. So anyone can cancel if they want.

Not saying it's likely. But I agree with the anti-preorder folks. I think it's a bad practice, especially if it encourages developers to include preorder bonuses (though I don't believe that's the case for TW3).

So, after reviews go up tomorrow, would it be okay to pre-order if they turn out mostly positive?

I'm very happy that the review embargo is up a week early. That's great. And if the game is reviews positively overall, then pre-ordering is definitely much safer. I just don't think pre-ordering is a good idea in general.

One thing that reviews rarely cover though are performance issues, which is a big concern on PC. So even if the game gets good reviews, I still might wait on GAF's impressions.

CaptNink

I want the game, I want the pre-load, and no amount of negative reviews could get me to not play it day one. Why wouldn't/shouldn't I pre-order?

This is my feelings exactly. I don't mind pre-loading/ordering a game I know I want to play, irregardless of reviews, opinions, etc.

Bl@de

Great. I didn't preorder because it would cost me 74€ -.- (69€ game + 5€ fsk18 shipping, thanks merkel). But I'm sure you'll get it for 59€ on release day anyway.

Cruxist

So, after reviews go up tomorrow, would it be okay to pre-order if they turn out mostly positive?

I mentioned this earlier, but I think a pre-order with more information is perfectly fine. That threshold is different for everybody though. For some people, it's a trailer, for others, it's 8 hours of footage, for some, it's a review from a trusted person/site.

The whole touting of pre-order numbers is what really bothers me. That's not sales yet, that's potential sales. If the game ends of being a glitchy, unplayable mess and consumers catch on, that pre-order number means nothing.

tuxfool

Banned

Some would argue that even after reviews, there is no guarantee that the game will work. Halo:MCC and DC are examples of that. However in these cases most of the issues were network related. AC:U was buggy as hell but the game released before the review embargo.

SoundLad

not_having_it.gif

Well, the pre-order culture continues to be encouraged :/.

I am not surprised one bit.

I'll just wait for reviews and the PC performance thread then try to find the game for under $30 when I can.

Yea pretty much, haven't pre-ordered a game since 2013 after getting burnt few times too many.
Gonna need to wait until reviews and player opinions before concluding whether this pre-order milestone is a good or a bad thing.

Auctopus

Lol, love this after the Internet circlejerk at the end of last year was "No more pre-orders! Always wait for reviews"

And now this. I know CDPR have a better track record but gamers are so fickle.

54-46!

"I know it's going to be good so I pre-ordered it."

Sure, the game might be good, but it also might be broken as shit, riddled with bugs and unplayable on some systems because it doesn't fully support specific hardware.. have people learned nothing over the past two years of unfinished AAA games released too early?

Play Witcher 2, do Iorveth path, skip optional stuff like "kill 7 cockroaches", you can probably get it done before the third one comes out.

Just don't skip any troll quests.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't expect my non-gaming laptop is able to play it well, never owned a 360, nor do I have the free time to run through it in a week or two. I'm going PS4.

Denton

Not saying it's likely. But I agree with the anti-preorder folks. I think it's a bad practice, especially if it encourages developers to include preorder bonuses (though I don't believe that's the case for TW3).

I'm very happy that the review embargo is up a week early. That's great. And if the game is reviews positively overall, then pre-ordering is definitely much safer. I just don't think pre-ordering is a good idea in general.

One thing that reviews rarely cover though are performance issues, which is a big concern on PC. So even if the game gets good reviews, I still might wait on GAF's impressions.

I don't think it is blanketly bad practice.
It is bad practice for developers who do not deserve it (Hi Ubisoft/EA/Actard!), but developers who do (Hi Obsidian/Larian/CDP!) it is great to support them. At least until they do stuff to stop deserving that support.

Top Bottom