• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt exceeds 1 MILLION pre-orders worldwide!

kingwingin

I know people love this game series, but this many pre-orders is terrible.

I know everybody is anxious to get their hands on this... but we need to stop encouraging pre-orders. It's a bad practice.
but I got 10% off by preordering by this, well worth it

People pre-order a game from an independent developer with a great history. It's not the end of the world. If you don't want to pre-order then just don't pre-order.

I know you can't on GMG and I don't think you can on Steam. At least not once the game is out. You're delivered it automatically.

True, but that's ignoring the psychical side. I get what you are saying, though.

Point is, it's okay to preorder. People do it for many, many different reasons. That's their right as a consumer to do so, and not some sort of self-controlling community spread decision.

Burns will come and go, but there are far more games released not broken than broken. AAA titles aren't the only things you guys can select from.

It's really sad to see infighting between gamers on when they should be enjoying games. One person above referred to it as "preorder culture" - a snarky swipe at anyone who believes in a company to put out a decent title, a bitter resolve to make sure others are not having fun or acting responsibly within their own personal boundaries of what's right and what's wrong in terms of gaming.

Maybe it's even more depressing that they forget how many titles came out with gamebreaking glitches only a few generations past this one, where titles like Deus Ex on the PS2 would format your memory card and erase your hardwork.

I wonder if that pre-order will be the longest Amazon pre-order I've had. I don't expect to see KH3 until at least late 2016, if that.

I had ffvs13 preorderd on amazon since 2008 after seeing the trailer (figured if the price fluctuated i could get it at a bargain)...finally had to cancel it last year haha

Loakum

Banned
I don't think it was really a 'movement' but a personal resolve to wait for more information on a game that isn't trickled out by the dev, whether it is performance or game play metrics.

People can pre-order or day one whatever the fuck they want. For me, a dev's track record has no bearing on the next product they release and they won't see my money until I have solid proof that the game runs well on my hardware and that it is worth my time.

It had the appearance of a movement, by the number of media articles, and youtube videos about it. Anyway, I say, if a game is good or sucks, it will still be those things whether a person pre orders them, or not. Besides, the reviews will be out a full week before launch. Folks could always cancel, if need be.

jesu

Lol, love this after the Internet circlejerk at the end of last year was "No more pre-orders! Always wait for reviews"

And now this. I know CDPR have a better track record but gamers are so fickle.

Or it's not the same people pre-ordering now that was against it at the end of last year.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
"I know it's going to be good so I pre-ordered it."

Sure, the game might be good, but it also might be broken as shit, riddled with bugs and unplayable on some systems because it doesn't fully support specific hardware.. have people learned nothing over the past two years of unfinished AAA games released too early?

I've learned that the majority of games release without issue.

Lunar15

One of my most anticipated games ever.

Still haven't pre-ordered. Once I get decent confirmation that it's not super buggy, I'll probably pre-order just so I can pre-load.

The fact that review copies were only sent out to people with debug PS4's was slightly concerning.

I've learned that the majority of games release without issue.

The majority of games aren't AAA titles. The majority of games aren't made by the same company. It's absolutely silly to assume both but people parade those two as if they were standard.

Circinus

Wow, that's pretty impressive. The growth (in terms of sales) from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 is going to be huge, it feels like The Witcher 3 is getting a tenfold of the attention that Witcher 2 had.

Qassim

Sure, the game might be good, but it also might be broken as shit, riddled with bugs and unplayable on some systems because it doesn't fully support specific hardware.. have people learned nothing over the past two years of unfinished AAA games released too early?

It's been all good for me, I don't know why I'd stop doing something that has only been a positive for me.

Caja 117

nah, i'm not talking about "did it get a good score", more like "is it playable"

Simcity 5 is a good exemple, EA are swimming in money as we speak because of that disaster

Im not familiar with the Simcity problem, can you tell me how is that game today? is it still as broken as it was at launch? I preordered these 2 games: BF4 and Halo MCC, I haven't regret that preorder at all, game had problem, they got fixed, end of story, and those two games have been one of my best purchases I have done this gen.

Again, Im not buying a house or car, is a 60 Dollar item, is not a life changing purchase.

not_having_it.gif

Well, the pre-order culture continues to be encouraged :/.

I am not surprised one bit.

I'll just wait for reviews and the PC performance thread then try to find the game for under $30 when I can.

b/s/t thread, seriously. They're giving the game away with nvidia cards, theres a ton of ppl selling those codes on ebay too

boskee

I've heard enough first-hand opinions from friends who either played or worked on it to know that it's neither broken nor sucks.

Cathcart

I wish people would only spend their money the way I would. Oh wait, I just forgot it's none of my damn business.

Can't wait for some Witcher next week.

w00zey

I get 10 dollars back in best buy dollars for preordering you best believe I had no problem hitting preorder. Especially when I also get 20% off with GCU.

imBask

Banned
Im not familiar with the Simcity problem, can you tell me how is that game today? is it still as broken as it was at launch? I preordered these 2 games: BF4 and Halo MCC, I haven't regret that preorder at all, game had problem, they got fixed, end of story, and those two games have been one of my best purchases I have done this gen.

Again, Im not buying a house or car, is a 60 Dollar item, is not a life changing purchase.

I THINK they fixed it but i'm not sure

basically everyone pre-ordered Simcity and you couldn't log in for the first 3-4-5 days because the servers were fucked, and the game was always online so you couldn't even play by yourself!

they then proceeded to say that an offline mode was IMPOSSIBLE (they used the word impossible). They released an offline mode 6 months later

Mrbob

Sure, the game might be good, but it also might be broken as shit, riddled with bugs and unplayable on some systems because it doesn't fully support specific hardware.. have people learned nothing over the past of unfinished AAA games released too early?
I agree in principal but the witcher 3 is in a little different situation as reviews are going up a week before release. Plus this is the third game in a franchise which has had two previous stellar installments. I don't believe there is a one size fits all solution. Each new release must be taken on a case by case basis

Caja 117

I THINK they fixed it but i'm not sure

basically everyone pre-ordered Simcity and you couldn't log in for the first 3-4-5 days because the servers were fucked, and the game was always online so you couldn't even play by yourself!

they then proceeded to say that an offline mode was IMPOSSIBLE (they used the word impossible). They released an offline mode 6 months later

But still got fixed, I mean, preorder a game on consoles maybe 12 years ago would had been stupid because you really couldn't get it patched (or it wasnt as easy) but today, games get constant bug fixes from the developers.

and Is like a couple of poster have said, sure some games have been released with bugs, but that is not the norm, games usually are playable upon released, heck, for me MCC didn't had any problems aside from long waits in finding players for Matchmaking, so sine day 1 for me this preorder was excellent.

Im on my way to Gamestop to preorder another Witcher 3 game for my PS4

imBask

Banned
But still got fixed, I mean, preorder a broken game on consoles maybe 12 years ago would had been stupid where you really couldn't get it patched, but today, games get constant bug fixes from the developers.

and Is like a couple of poster have said, sure some games have been released with bugs, but that is not the norm, games usually are playable upon released, heck, for me MCC didn't had any problems aside from long waits in finding players for Matchmaking, so sine day 1 for me this preorder was excellent.

Im on my way to Gamestop to preorder another Witcher 3 game for my PS4

well I didn't mention that Simcity wasn't a very good game lol, it was pretty bad actually

FLAguy954

b/s/t thread, seriously. They're giving the game away with nvidia cards, theres a ton of ppl selling those codes on ebay too

I know I can get the game for cheap, that is not really the problem. I want to know how the game will run on my hardware or if additional patches are needed for a smooth experience before getting the game now.

The last game I pre-ordered was Far Cry 4 and I got it on the cheap for $35 but it had really annoying intermittent skipping that made the game less than enjoyable until the 4th or 5th patch.

Momentary

Banned
It's gonna be Steam > PS4, XB1, GOG, Origins, UPlay ... just like it was for Dark Souls II. It's gonna sell the most copies on Steam.

This isn't something we should be celebrating. I really hope the game is good, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher 2, but pre-ordering games is not a good thing. This game could be a buggy, incoherent mess, and now all of those people are sending the message "if you market your game well enough, we'll buy it regardless of its actual quality."

But hey, I'm probably wrong. The game is probably polished and probably fun. But we shouldn't be so willing to take that risk and send the message that the game's quality doesn't have to speak for itself.

Why are people bring up the Nvidia promo? The odds of that being included in these pre order numbers is next to zero

Edit - actually now that I think about it since you get the code now they probably are included upon redemption. Not when issued though as they will be tracked by redemption on the account

This isn't something we should be celebrating. I really hope the game is good, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher 2, but pre-ordering games is not a good thing. This game could be a buggy, incoherent mess, and now all of those people are sending the message "if you market your game well enough, we'll buy it regardless of its actual quality."

But hey, I'm probably wrong. The game is probably polished and probably fun. But we shouldn't be so willing to take that risk and send the message that the game's quality doesn't have to speak for itself.

There are numerous videos, gameplay impressions, and images for many people to determine if this is a quality purchase or not. Why is it so hard to believe that people might have done prior research for this title?

alouette

That's funny. This night I started my pre-download on XboxOne...and now we're in 1 million. So it's official: No. 1000000 - It's me. What did I win?

Chaos17

I've learned who to trust after all these years.
I'm staying away from most AAA but CDRP earned my respect.

Unai

Have you learned nothing from CDPR?

Seems the Witcher 3 is going rock some socks off. Pretty happy to see a dev such as them start from the bottom and work their way up to this huge release. Well deserved!

Qassim

It's gonna be PC > whatever else... just like it was for Dark Souls II. It's gonna sell the most copies on Steam.

I'm actually not so sure, the Xbox marketing deal and the general coverage of this game is taking it to more mainstream audiences that the previous two titles didn't necessarily get.

I think the addition of the large mainstream 'AAA' audience of the consoles will grow the audience for the series significantly. I think the game will sell *very* well on PC, I'm just not sure it's so easy to call which platforms will do best either way.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
LOL @ all the preorder haters that preordered this game! You know who you are!

"Preordering is bane upon the industry! Unless its for something I really want!"

Momentary

Banned
I'm actually not so sure, the Xbox marketing deal and the general coverage of this game is taking it to more mainstream audiences that the previous two titles didn't necessarily get.

I think the addition of the large mainstream 'AAA' audience of the consoles will grow the audience for the series significantly. I think the game will sell *very* well on PC, I'm just not sure it's so easy to call which platforms will do best either way.

Most JRPGs, Western RPGs, European RPGs that get released on Steam sell more volume than on any other platform. I don't know of any multiplatform RPG that has sold worse on Steam than on XB1, PS4, 360, PS3.

Kinthalis

Banned
It's gonna be Steam > PS4, XB1, GOG, Origins, UPlay ... just like it was for Dark Souls II. It's gonna sell the most copies on Steam.

It's definitely possible. Witcher 2's fanbase is mostly on PC, and Witcher 1 sold over 2 million copie son PC, while witcher 2 sold over 3 million on PC alone, but that over the course of a few years.

Considering that thanks to Microsoft, the game has received a lot of marketing for the console version this time around, it's still likely to be PS4 > PC >> Xbone. At least year 1.

After that, I'm 99% sure PC will outsell consoles. Mods, support from the devs, and sales will almost certainly mean PC will sell more copies in the end.

It's definitely possible. Witcher 2's fanbase is mostly on PC, and Witcher 1 sold over 2 million copie son PC, while witcher 2 sold over 3 million on PC alone, but that over the course of a few years.

Considering that thanks to Microsoft, the game has received a lot of marketing for the console version this time around, it's still likely to be PS4 > PC >> Xbone.

It would be interesting to know how many copies of TW1 and 2 were sold before it got the sub $10 sales on steam.

Denton

Man, if Kevin van Ord releases his review tomorrow and it is 6/10 - decent but not great, it would be hilarious to see the meltdowns.

Top Bottom