• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

GeoramA

Wow, it's almost here. I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since this was shown at the PS4 reveal. That trailer is so good.

Wonder why there's no PS4 pre-order yet. Figured Sony would be pushing it hard.

Nzyme32

Wow, it's almost here. I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since this was shown at the PS4 reveal. That trailer is so good.

Wonder why there's no PS4 pre-order yet. Figured Sony would be pushing it hard.

There is no Steam pre-order either and they release at the same time. I figure Jonathan Blow / Thekla have a marketing plan somewhere; Sony doing the leg work seems unlikely since I don't know of anything they have left this late to market

GeoramA

There is no Steam pre-order either and they release at the same time. I figure Jonathan Blow / Thekla have a marketing plan somewhere; Sony doing the leg work seems unlikely since I don't know of anything they have left this late to market
Yeah I figured he probably has something to do with it.

I want a Witness Dynamic theme, though :(

JonnyKong

I'm starting to get rather excited about this now, although I know for a fact I'll get stuck pretty early on as I do with most puzzle games.

I feel like the content of that video is old. I swear I saw this exact video months back.

It's definitely old. At the end he says "I feel like the game will probably come out next year, probably in the middle of the year". Guessing this was taken in 2014 or 2015.

Edit: Yea someone posted it's from 2014. In that video he says 20-30 hours but they keep adding more stuff. So hopefully now it's up to 35-45 hours.

It's definitely old. At the end he says "I feel like the game will probably come out next year, probably in the middle of the year". Guessing this was taken in 2014 or 2015.

Edit: Yea someone posted it's from 2014. In that video he says 20-30 hours but they keep adding more stuff. So hopefully now it's up to 35-45 hours.

He's said it will be upwards of 80-100 hours to see all the puzzles. He's also said a very few of endgame puzzles will probably only be completed by minority of players.

GhaleonEB

I'm starting to get rather excited about this now, although I know for a fact I'll get stuck pretty early on as I do with most puzzle games.

This is apparently designed so you can "beat" the game while not completing nearly all of the puzzles, so you can get around a lot of things you get stuck on. But more of the game opens up the more you complete; and of course, the ending is different with a complete run.

JonnyKong

This is apparently designed so you can "beat" the game while not completing nearly all of the puzzles, so you can get around a lot of things you get stuck on. But more of the game opens up the more you complete; and of course, the ending is different with a complete run.

Oo now I'm even more excited!

Karu

There is very nice sale going on right now (January Sale PS4) - I don't have time waiting someone to bother giving me a price point. So frustrating.

From what I've read, the whole world is open from the start, so if you get stuck on puzzle or area, you can just move onto another and come back later.

He's said it will be upwards of 80-100 hours to see all the puzzles. He's also said a very few of endgame puzzles will probably only be completed by minority of players.

Interesting. So does this imply that there will be multiple endings? I mean if some of the puzzles are optional, what reward is there in a game like this other than a better ending?

Blizzard

Banned
He also said recently that he finished 100% of the game in under 8 hours, so 80-100 is only if everyone else is 10 times slower solving puzzles. :p

I kinda feel like the more I watch of this, the less interesting it seems. The island and locations look really nice, but the puzzles just seem to be variations of mazes. I was expecting this to be like a open world version of The Room (iOS), but with a cool cell shaded art style.

I kinda feel like the more I watch of this, the less interesting it seems. The island and locations look really nice, but the puzzles just seem to be variations of mazes. I was expecting this to be like a open world version of The Room (iOS), but with a cool cell shaded art style.
You know how Portal's puzzles were all variations of the same idea? The Witness seems to be like that. The maze/line drawing is merely the means to input the answer. Figuring out what the answer is, or even what is the question that's being asked, involves more than just what's on a panel

mattp

You know how Portal's puzzles were all variations of the same idea? The Witness seems to be like that. The maze/line drawing is merely the means to input the answer. Figuring out what the answer is, or even what the question that's being asked, involves more than just what's on a panel

yup
the maze is just your method of inputting the solution

Blizzard

Banned
That's a speedrun, with him knowing the solutions from the start. No chance anyone else will do that.
Someone probably will EVENTUALLY. But first time yeah. I just feel that people solve puzzles at different rates, so you might have some people taking 30-40 hours, while others take 100. It'll be interesting to see! I hardly ever make it past like, 1-2 hours of a game, so I guess I'll end up 3% complete or something.

And if a puzzle game really is dragging on over 40 hours, I assume people will just look up the solutions online, like the Talos Principle stars.

I was really hype for this game, then I started following Blow on Twitter. Man that guy really turned me off to his game. There is just an arrogance about him that is really off putting. I might try it if it is received well but im not that interested in it anymore.

PFD

They've been very secretive about the puzzles. We still don't know how the majority of them will play out

I wonder if the Platinum trophy will require you to complete every puzzle.

I sure hope so. Hard to justify saying you've 100%'ed the game if you haven't actually 100%'ed it.

I was really hype for this game, then I started following Blow on Twitter. Man that guy really turned me off to his game. There is just an arrogance about him that is really off putting. I might try it if it is received well but im not that interested in it anymore.

To me it seems much more like a modern version of Myst. Personally I'm not even thinking about the puzzle aspect of the game. It's more about exploring the island and unlocking its secrets. The puzzles are the just the keys to open the doors, much like you might have to find a key from a treasure chest or whatever. You don't go around thinking "Oh it's so dumb that I have to get a key to unlock that door". I think it's the same thing here, the game is really just about exploring an island and finding out about it. The puzzles are just the keys

If you base your media choices on hitting it off with the personality of its creators you'd probably have a very short list of movies, books, TV shows, and games to choose from.

What does he tweet about? Doesn't he criticize game design of other games or something?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

He can be an ass sometimes but he is also a brilliant designer. Like Notch and Phil Fish.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

He definitely has a lot of complaints about all kinds of things, but his personality is such a dumb reason to reconsider your interest in what may be a spectacular game.

Mivey

He definitely has a lot of complaints about all kinds of things, but his personality is such a dumb reason to reconsider your interest in what may be a spectacular game.
I think for many people it is simply natural to strongly associate a thing and its creator. If you love a show, you probably don't want to find out that the creator is a racist asshole who beats his wife. Maybe because, to an extent, we associate ourselves with the things we love?

I think for many people it is simply natural to strongly associate a thing and its creator. If you love a show, you probably don't want to find out that the creator is a racist asshole who beats his wife. Maybe because, to an extent, we associate ourselves with the things we love?

Art v artist debate will never go away. Like, I can't not watch a Polanski or Woody Allen movie without having the thought somewhere in the back of my mind of the sick shit they did, but I can still recognize the quality of what they made. Rosemary's Baby doesn't stop being a brilliant horror/thriller due to Polanski's scumbaggery. Film historians also recognize this of people like Riefenstahl, sure its propaganda for one of the most evil regimes the world has known, but its propaganda done damn well.

If you base your media choices on hitting it off with the personality of its creators you'd probably have a very short list of movies, books, TV shows, and games to choose from.

I agree, I probably never should have started following him. I stopped a few months ago but the damage was done.

What does he tweet about? Doesn't he criticize game design of other games or something?

He has a tone of "I'm a genius and nobody else in gaming is doing anything nearly as important as me." As a software developer I find a lot of his criticism of gaming and software development in general pretty condescending. I'm sure he is brilliant but he acts like he is right about everything all the time and nobody should question him.

He can be an ass sometimes but he is also a brilliant designer. Like Notch and Phil Fish.

Agreed.

I know, I know, that's why I stopped following him. I loved braid and I hope this game is awesome. I'm sure my hype will return when it releases and people love it. He may even be a good dude but after about a year of following him I just got the impression that he was sort of a douche. I will play the game, I just am not hype for it like I was.

Top Bottom