• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

PolishQ

Wait, there will be a physical release?

http://the-witness.net/news/2015/12/entering-the-home-stretch/

We’ve had some people asking us whether there will be a physical retail release of The Witness. It’s seeming likely, as we have been in talks with a couple of parties for a while about that possibility. *However*, it looks like if there is a retail release, it won’t happen until a little bit after the digital release. The reason is just that we need all the time we can get up until the release date in order to get all the finishing touches into the game; but because of the lead-time involved in physical manufacturing and distribution, we would have to freeze the game right about now in order to have it on store shelves for the release date. *Or* we could delay the digital release date in order to wait for the physical. But I don’t see a good reason to do either of those things. I would rather just focus our energy on making the game as good as we can make it, and a retail version can lag behind by a little bit.

Auctopus

Obviously meaningless opinion as I haven't played yet but I think I'd rather have had no VA and just exploring puzzle solving.

Also, I feel like I'm gonna be completely disconnected when I hear Ellie on the other end of a phonograph.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Obviously meaningless opinion as I haven't played yet but I think I'd rather have had no VA and just exploring puzzle solving.

Also, I feel like I'm gonna be completely disconnected when I hear Ellie on the other end of a phonograph.

She may try to sound different from a 13 year old for this game. Then again, maybe she was hired to play a younger person again because she was so good.

Despera

Banned
Not sure I get this... so does the game have no music, or is it just Terra Deva clarifying that she's only lending her voice to the game and not her music?

Edit: I guess it's pretty clear that she's saying that there's no music in the game. This... is interesting.

Pachimari

It will have been designed that way for a reason. You owe it to yourself to at least experience the game for a few hours in the way Blow intended.

I will do that. For some reason I didn't even think of setting the mood through sound effects lol. Of course I'm gonna play this the way Blow wants it to be played.

It will have been designed that way for a reason. You owe it to yourself to at least experience the game for a few hours in the way Blow intended.
Yes, in one of his dev blogs, Blow says how the whole game is designed so that if something stands out or catches your attention, it means it has a purpose. He had to remind the artists about not making things look "cool" for the sake of looking cool. So the lack of music and the focus on environmental sounds is completely intentional

Not sure I get this... so does the game have no music, or is it just Terra Deva clarifying that she's only lending her voice to the game and not her music?

There is no music at all. There are also no animals on the island so there are no birds or crickets or the like either. This is all intentional.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes, in one of his dev blogs, Blow says how the whole game is designed so that if something stands out or catches your attention, it means it has a purpose. He had to remind the artists about not making things look "cool" for the sake of looking cool. So the lack of music and the focus on environmental sounds is completely intentional

That's interesting. Thanks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is this a point & click adventure?

You explore an abandoned island. On this island, there are panels with little maze puzzles on them. They get increasingly complex as you progress, requiring you to pay attention to possible clues outside of the panels themselves. We don't know yet how far this idea will be extended.

You explore an abandoned island. On this island, there are panels with little maze puzzles on them. They get increasingly complex as you progress, requiring you to pay attention to possible clues outside of the panels themselves. We don't know yet how far this idea will be extended.

Presumably "really fucking far" though, considering some of the crazy stuff he did in Braid.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah I'm fine with it since I remember little of the music front last year's games. Just had no idea it was like that

I reckon it will be like Journey in some aspects. On another note: Can you remember a pic someone posted up of an island and its reflection turned on its side that looked like someone praying? That should be the cover art.

dEvAnGeL

because VA always do the same voice, because david in TLOU sounds just like drake or Joel sounds just like delsin.....

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Remember when this was a PS4 launch window game? Time sure flies this gen. Even if the game should suck (it won't) he would get a sale out of me because Braid was so great.

I have not been following super close but noticed this is what is listed as the 'cover art' on wikipedia. Had not seen this before. I dig it.

The_witness_poster.jpg

Mikef2000

Never played Braid, but I love everything I have seen about this game so far. The art direction, concept, mysterious plot. Instant purchase for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have not been following super close but noticed this is what is listed as the 'cover art' on wikipedia. Had not seen this before. I dig it.

God Damn I do love when they choose great box art for games not that I was expecting a scruffy white dude with a buzz cut holding a gun over his shoulder for this games cover, this is still better than expected.

That poster makes it abundantly clear (to say nothing of the secret image in the trailer) that the water and reflections will be a major part of the puzzles.

That's the part where I wonder how far he will take it - it can't just be hidden images in the reflections everywhere.

Archurro

This is insane that this is coming out. I remember hearing Blow talk about this game in 2010. This is easily one of my most anticipated games of all time.

Hip Hop

Oh,

had no idea it was coming to PC day one.

I might actually get it then. I've been interested about it here and there.

Top Bottom