• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably would have looked a-okay on PS4, but it'll be fun to crank this one up on my new gaming PC

Seiru

Banned
I had a super good time getting 100% in Fez playing with a buddy of mine. Would him and I have a similar experience with this game? I don't know much about it except that it's puzzly.

Sulik2

I had a super good time getting 100% in Fez playing with a buddy of mine. Would him and I have a similar experience with this game? I don't know much about it except that it's puzzly.

Its going to be its own thing. Its a puzzle game is probably the only similarity its going to share with Fez. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by more then one person together, but it looks way different then Fez.

Trojan

Is this showing up for pre-order yet on PS4? Surprised to not see it yet. This is one of those games that I truly want to pre-order to support the dev.

IvanJ

Banned
Is portal/ portal 2 within that or is that a unique case?

I like not knowing much about the game but the lack of pricing info is super annoying.
Didn't like Portal at all. It's in the same category as Talos Principle to me, it got boring after a few levels, just basically one same thing, just increasingly complicated. Played it for a couple of hours and that was it.

So, yes, any puzzler is $10 tops in my wallet.

Seiru

Banned
Its going to be its own thing. Its a puzzle game is probably the only similarity its going to share with Fez. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by more then one person together, but it looks way different then Fez.

I guess I meant does anybody know the depth of these puzzles? Are they very focused one-time block moving things, are very meta oriented like a lot of the Fez stuff (the latter of which might be enjoyed more being solved by two people).

I'll pay $40 for this easy, but not day 1. Need to hear real-world comparisons between PS4 and PC versions before I decide which one to get.

But for the sake of the game's success, I hope it comes out at $30. I think $40 is a bigger ask for a game of this type, no matter the length. I'm a sucker for good puzzle games, and this looks like it will be quite a trip.

This game is supposed to release in 13 days?? I had no idea and I put it as one of my 10 most anticipated games for the year. Why is there a complete lack of any new info? I wonder how long the delay is going to be.

Lingitiz

Super curious about this game. Not sure if a long 50 hour grind puzzle game is what I'm looking for right now. I feel like I would never make it to the end.

Chopper

I'm intrigued by this, but was disappointed at the apparent focus on those maze games that dominated the last trailer. Is the game more than that?

Edit: Just rewatched the trailer. Game sure looks beautiful. I just hope the puzzles have more variety than is suggested.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm intrigued by this, but was disappointed at the apparent focus on those maze games that dominated the last trailer. Is the game more than that?

Edit: Just rewatched the trailer. Game sure looks beautiful. I just hope the puzzles have more variety than is suggested.

The mazes are only part of the puzzle. Think of the mazes like a riddle, with the solution being buried somewhere in the environment. An example they showed was the layout of the apples on a tree showing you how to solve a specific maze. I assume there is more variety, but I believe the mazes are tied to all the puzzles in the game. We don't really know though, they've been very mysterious about the game.

As far as I know, no but there's more than to just tracing a path. The environment and other esoteric knowledge is needed to understand what you have to do. It's not just finding the end of a maze. Kind of how Portal's core mechanic is just shooting portals, but actual puzzles are very diverse and different and build off that mechanic

fastmower

Didn't like Portal at all. It's in the same category as Talos Principle to me, it got boring after a few levels, just basically one same thing, just increasingly complicated. Played it for a couple of hours and that was it.

So, yes, any puzzler is $10 tops in my wallet.
I don't think this game is going to be for you. Have you checked out the gameplay?

Sulik2

I guess I meant does anybody know the depth of these puzzles? Are they very focused one-time block moving things, are very meta oriented like a lot of the Fez stuff (the latter of which might be enjoyed more being solved by two people).

Austin at Giantbomb mentioned there was something more to the puzzles when he saw it in November, there probably is some sort of meta thing knowing John Blow, its supposed to be a giant experience that will take dozens of hours. So I am guessing there a bunch of surprises under the hood.

I guess I could see why people would be put off by the thought that the whole game is those line puzzles.

But that's merely the mechanism to input an answer. The real challenge and real puzzle is figuring out the answer. Or even figuring out the question. That's the impressions I got from the previews I read

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Braid was so, so good.

Jonathan Blow catches a lot of flak for being pretentious, but I think he's just really, really smart, and people bristle at that. I think any time he walks into a room, he's probably the smartest dude there, and probably knows it, on some level. I've met him in person twice and he was extremely warm and articulate and awesome both times.

Braid (and Blow) have sorta become symbols/memes, outside of the game itself. You have to take a step back and remember that there had never been anything like Braid when it came out. Its marriage of brilliant and original puzzle design, challenging narrative, and secrets that were genuinely, truly hidden deep within the game itself (those stars!) was a massive achievement.

And now the brilliant dude that made that game nearly by himself has dedicated eight years and his entire fortune to create a massive collection of puzzles that combine to create one sweeping meta-puzzle that has narrative hooks into a deeper mystery, all contained on a beautiful and mysterious island.

I mean... come on! He spent almost a decade and all of his personal fortune to make one of the biggest puzzle games the world has ever seen.

The Witness as the potential to be one of video gaming's true greats.

Edit: And you just know there's going to be some hidden stuff on that island that's equivalent to Braid's stars. The game is just calling out for that kind of nested mystery.

Spy

Braid was so, so good.

Jonathan Blow catches a lot of flak for being pretentious, but I think he's just really, really smart, and people bristle at that. I think any time he walks into a room, he's probably the smartest dude there, and probably knows it, on some level. I've met him in person twice and he was extremely warm and articulate and awesome both times.

Braid (and Blow) have sorta become symbols/memes, outside of the game itself. You have to take a step back and remember that there had never been anything like Braid when it came out. Its marriage of brilliant and original puzzle design, challenging narrative, and secrets that were genuinely, truly hidden deep within the game itself (those stars!) was a massive achievement.

And now the brilliant dude that made that game nearly by himself has dedicated eight years and his entire fortune to create a massive collection of puzzles that combine to create one sweeping meta-puzzle that has narrative hooks into a deeper mystery, all contained on a beautiful and mysterious island.

I mean... come on! He spent almost a decade and all of his personal fortune to make one of the biggest puzzle games the world has ever seen.

I completely agree. I was just talking to someone about this a little while ago. I feel like this could be one of the greatest digital games ever released on PSN.

Sulik2

Braid was so, so good.

Edit: And you just know there's going to be some hidden stuff on that island that's equivalent to Braid's stars. The game is just calling out for that kind of nested mystery.

Listen to the Tone Control Podcast with Jonathan Blow, its incredible. He really is the smartest man in the room, but he is surprisingly down to earth. His stuff about working with Sony about how to use the cell before the PS3 launched was fascinating.

You also just hyped me even more for the Witness. I've been eagerly anticipating this game for years and you just articulated why it could end up being so special.

Mifune

Mehmber
Listen to the Tone Control Podcast with Jonathan Blow, its incredible. He really is the smartest man in the room, but he is surprisingly down to earth. His stuff about working with Sony about how to use the cell before the PS3 launched was fascinating.

You also just hyped me even more for the Witness. I've been eagerly anticipating this game for years and you just articulated why it could end up being so special.

Oh I've gotta listen to that. His interviews on the Brainy Gamer and Official Playstation podcasts were great as well, especially the former. He's incredibly intelligent but has a way of breaking down complex esoteric subjects into engaging and articulate conversation.

Zekes!

I'm real into the potential length of this thing. Being a poor Canadian, this might end up being an awesome game to just wander around and chip away at the puzzles over an extended period of time with the girlfriend

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Really excited about this one. Planning to pick it up for sure!

hesido

This is instabuy at 30usd. 40usd is pushing my wallet in a time I need the money (won't be able to purchase full price games for a while).

The length of the game also means I'll never be able to finish it.

GhaleonEB

Wow, that sounds like cutting it fine.

That is cutting it close, but not as bad as it sounds. The entire game is done, and they had temp tracks (with Blow speaking the lines :lol) implemented in the game. So they just needed to drop in the final recordings.

boeso

So glad its finally coming, its been such a long wait. Really excited to just jump in expore and piece the games story together bit by bit. Going to really take my time with it. Little disappointed at no music, after that amazing reveal trailer but I have faith in Blow and his team.

eXistor

Definitelt waiting for the physical release, but man, it has been a long wait. Very curious to see how it turned out, the entire premise sounds very intriguing.

Top Bottom