• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

Sulik2

YES YES YES! I've wanted this for so long. My hype is through the roof. Feed me your delicious game design Jonathon Blow!

Aurongel

That trailer on my 4K monitor:

tumblr_mlow1f35Qj1rm7gdlo1_500.gif

thewitness_release_1nsb0o.gif

The music is especially incredible in this video. Wow. So hyped for this game. I had it in my Most Anticipated list for 2015, and now it moves to one of my Top 10 for 2016.

thewitness_release_29ispo.gif

PolishQ

That trailer looks absolutely phenomenal and this excites me more than anything else on the way. I'm thinking of doing some Witness warm-up in the coming months. Something like:

Oct: Replay of Myst/Real Myst
Nov: Experience Riven for the first time
Dec: Replaying The Talos Principle
Jan: Braid revisited

And then, finally, The Witness. Life is good :)

Honestly you should just start with Riven as it might take you until January to finish it, and it's better than Myst in every way. What I've seen of The Witness reminds me more of Riven than Myst, as well.

wildfire

Banned
I hope someone with a genius level IQ does a stream of this game. I would like to see them tackle a series of puzzles without having to back track to other area to figure out the rules that aren't easy to understand.

Vexidus

That trailer looks absolutely phenomenal and this excites me more than anything else on the way. I'm thinking of doing some Witness warm-up in the coming months. Something like:

Oct: Replay of Myst/Real Myst
Nov: Experience Riven for the first time
Dec: Replaying The Talos Principle
Jan: Braid revisited

And then, finally, The Witness. Life is good :)

Have you played Myst III: Exile? That is personally my favourite Myst game. The puzzles aren't too obscure to solve like Riven's are. The ages are gorgeous and the music is phenomenal. Highly recommended.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the game itself going to have an original soundtrack? I've not read anything about a composer, although I haven't been keeping the an overly close eye on development.

bede-x

Honestly you should just start with Riven as it might take you until January to finish it, and it's better than Myst in every way. What I've seen of The Witness reminds me more of Riven than Myst, as well.

I'll take than under consideration if Myst proves too boring to replay. I do hope I can do Riven in much less than a month, since there's other games to play as well. If I get helplessly stuck, I do intent to use a guide..

Have you played Myst III: Exile? That is personally my favourite Myst game.

No, but I don't think it's available digitally on PC, which was one of my considerations when picking the games. I suppose I could get the Xbox version quite cheaply on Ebay. It's probably something I ought to play at some point anyway, so I might as well, even if I don't find the time for it before The Witness releases. Thanks for the suggestion.

So January 26th release date on PS4 & PC. I can't find information on where the game will be available on PC... Steam? I hope?

I originally planned to buy this for the PS4… but this game screams downsample heaven.

JoshHood

Getting pretty excited for this...but it also seems like a good candidate for supporting PSVR when it comes out, and I think I'd rather play it there first.

PolishQ

New blog post: http://the-witness.net/news/2015/12/entering-the-home-stretch/

Physical Box Release

We’ve had some people asking us whether there will be a physical retail release of The Witness. It’s seeming likely, as we have been in talks with a couple of parties for a while about that possibility. *However*, it looks like if there is a retail release, it won’t happen until a little bit after the digital release. The reason is just that we need all the time we can get up until the release date in order to get all the finishing touches into the game; but because of the lead-time involved in physical manufacturing and distribution, we would have to freeze the game right about now in order to have it on store shelves for the release date. *Or* we could delay the digital release date in order to wait for the physical. But I don’t see a good reason to do either of those things. I would rather just focus our energy on making the game as good as we can make it, and a retail version can lag behind by a little bit.

And a new "Long Screenshot": https://youtu.be/xzNh-hdceiU

I want this at Day 1, but if it's getting eventual Vive support I might just hold off until I can experience the entire thing in VR for the first time.

Top Bottom