• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

Haunted

sure as hell hope so, since i've been waiting for this almost a decade now.

and there were these
https://twitter.com/jonathan_blow/status/544025526512271360
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/544031034233217024
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/544031240832040960

btw. i love talos principle.
Blow on point. I do like and respect The Talos Principle but so many puzzles, especially in the first part of the game, were about leapfrogging objects to advance. It often felt like busywork instead of clever puzzle solving (although it also had that).

BTA

I'm hoping $20-$30, since this is a somewhat reluctant purchase given that I'm not a huge fan of Blow himself, but given how (probably inaccurately?) long the game is supposed to be, I wouldn't be surprised if it's $40.

...I'm also hoping it goes up for pre-order on PSN soon, so that this 10% discount code I didn't realize I had until after the holiday sales can actually get some use before it expires.

farmerboy

You know I've been lamenting the fact that I feel like I'm in a bit of a gaming rut.

This will be exactly what I need.

komplanen

Can't wait to play this. It's definitely one of the reasons I bought a PS4 (again). I just want to experience this game when it's fresh and part of the zeitgeist.

Regards to the price: I'll pay 60€ but I would not expect it to be above 44,95€

Blow seems like the kind of guy who'd release a game like this with little info beforehand. I mean media-wise, all we've gotten was that recent trailer and those short environment teasers

hydruxo

A little odd how little information there is about the release. I don't expect it to make that date.

Games been done for a while lol. It's coming out on time. Like More_Badass said, Blow is the type of guy to keep things low key to not spoil anything. Especially for an exploration based puzzle game.

An indie puzzler for $40, with an iOS-version coming? I'll believe it when I see it.
Talos Principle was an indie puzzler that's $40

And mobile ports are always much cheaper than the PC version. For example, Door Kickers is $20 on Steam, $5 on iPad. XCOM Enemy Within is $30 on Steam, $10 on iPad

I bet The Witness would be $10 on iPad

megalowho

Really looking forward to playing this after being in the works for so long, in the mood for some Myst-style puzzling and glad they've held a lot back in the prerelease media. Has the potential to be special.

I kind of raise my eyebrow whenever I see the "it's 80 hours now!" line though, even if a good chunk of that ends up being optional. Always a little worry when the scope of a project expands to that degree after more modest origins that bloat and pacing becomes an issue. Here's hoping there's enough variety and engaging stuff packed in there to justify the time they're asking players to spend in the world.

GlamFM

Banned
A little odd how little information there is about the release. I don't expect it to make that date.

I think this correlation does not exists anymore.

People have learned that showing less it´s actually a good thing.

Really looking forward to playing this after being in the works for so long, in the mood for some Myst-style puzzling and glad they've held a lot back in the prerelease media. Has the potential to be special.

I kind of raise my eyebrow whenever I see the "it's 80 hours now!" line though, even if a good chunk of that ends up being optional. Always a little worry when the scope of a project expands to that degree after more modest origins that bloat and pacing becomes an issue. Here's hoping there's enough variety and engaging stuff packed in there to justify the time they're asking players to spend in the world.
I read a preview that played the game for 20 hours and only solved about half of the puzzles

Oh damn I always expected $20. Yeah it has tons of content so it's probably worth $40 or more but I am just saying to me I was ready to pay $20, anything more and now I have to think hard about it. $20 was around impulse buy and I would give it a blind shot at that. At $40 I need reviews, it competes with games like xcom and tomb raider PC, so I will probably pass on it for now.

wouwie

I'd be happy to pay full price for this, assuming that the gameplay is as good as i hope it will be. The Talos Principle was easily worth it's money (if you like these kind of games ofcourse).

Footos22

One of the guys on psblog has already played it for 50 odd hours and it's still his most anticipated game this year. Sounds like a meaty game.

Jb

If the game is half as big as Blow says I'll gladly pay $60, if only to encourage indies to make games that are as big (or small) as they want them to be.

IvanJ

Banned
I also think it will be priced at $30+. My maximum for it is $20, though. That's the most I'd pay for an indie puzzler (regardless of duration).

However, I do hope that it will be different from Talos Principle (as I see a lot of people mentioning that game). I mean, TP was a really good, well made game, but it was very boring to me (enter door, solve puzzle, exit, repeat...) I gave up upon completing world A. Then again, I disliked Portal as well, so...

I also think it will be priced at $30+. My maximum for it is $20, though. That's the most I'd pay for an indie puzzler (regardless of duration).

However, I do hope that it will be different from Talos Principle (as I see a lot of people mentioning that game). I mean, TP was a really good, well made game, but it was very boring to me (enter door, solve puzzle, exit, repeat...) I gave up upon completing world A. Then again, I disliked Portal as well, so...
Considering there aren't actually any AAA puzzlers, you basically wouldn't pay $60 for a puzzler in general?

What separates an indie puzzler from a...puzzler, I guess?

IvanJ

Banned
Considering there aren't actually any AAA puzzlers, you basically wouldn't pay $60 for a puzzler in general?

What separates an indie puzzler from a...puzzler, I guess?
Guess you are correct: I'd never pay that much for a puzzler. Actually, $20 is more than I usually would, but mr. Blow deserves a premium.

KodaRuss

I am really interested in the price of this game and Firewatch.

At this point I have just been collecting games and not finishing them. Really need to work on my backlog.

Ill definitelty buy right away if it is under 40.

Guess you are correct: I'd never pay that much for a puzzler. Actually, $20 is more than I usually would, but mr. Blow deserves a premium.
Is portal/ portal 2 within that or is that a unique case?

I like not knowing much about the game but the lack of pricing info is super annoying.

AHK_Hero

Can you link the game you're thinking of? Google is of no help, other than finding some kind of gun with that name.

I think they meant Ether One. It came out as a PlayStation Plus title and is on Steam. Perhaps they are aesthetically similar but the puzzles are entirely optional in Ether One, and in the Witness they are the focus.

I will pay any amount for this game. Give it to meeeeee.

Haha, same here. I've been anticipating this game since the day it was first announced.

I think around $30 is the sweet spot for pricing from a market perspective. I hope it does really well for them because I recall reading stories about Jonathan Blow pouring every last penny he made from Braid into this.

painful wait to release.
this game is going to be jaw dropping.
VerticalBanners_Low05.jpg

Top Bottom