• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is easily the game I'm most looking forward to at the moment. :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Been super excited for this lately, the first person adventure game is a badly, badly underserved genre. The Myst discussion is interesting: the puzzle space it puts your mind into might be similar, but one thing I still feel a sore lack of in what I've seen of this game (or others in the last decade or so) are strong yet alien visual identities for both the natural world and the constructions within it. Myst 2 through 4 are incredible in large part because of their aesthetic sense. The Witness mostly looks more like its made from contemporary materials and construction styles. That's fine, to be clear, I just wish we got more games like Riven

I've been purposefully blacked out as much as I can about this game aside from a few trailers, I want to go in as blind as possible

see5harp

Man the wait for this has been so long. It's been a long time since I actually considered paying full price for a game on day one.

wouwie

I can't wait. I've been looking forward to this game for such long time (and avoided most media). It's finally happening in 3 weeks :)

I've been looking forward to this since the February conference where Don't first revealed the PS4 (I though The Witness was a launch title)... I will pre-ordered on Steam and look forward to downsampling the game at an insane resolution.

Nzyme32

Is this gonna support PSVR? I thought it was but can't find anything about it

I'm fairly confident it will. Jonathan Blow was messing with VR in the witness quite a long time back and there was mention of PSVR I think. More recently he was posting about the Vive dev kit he got:

In case it wasn't known by some, Vive support for The Witness seems pretty likely from the recent tweets posted by Blow -

CPnHmKnWwAIO0MH.jpg:large

"Okay, so ... the wands that come with the Vive are the best game controllers I have ever used. That would be true even without the headset."

He hasn't tried Oculus Touch though, and it isn't mentioned but I'd be sure he's messed with PSVR by now.

There shouldn't be any reason to not also have it for PSVR, Rift etc.

I've been looking forward to this since the February conference where Don't first revealed the PS4 (I though The Witness was a launch title)... I've pre-ordered on Steam and look forward to downsamplibg the game at an insane resolution.
It's not available for preorder on steam

PolishQ

Is this gonna support PSVR? I thought it was but can't find anything about it

Jonathan Blow said recently that it won't support PSVR at launch, but they may add support later on.

Specific quote from http://the-witness.net/news/2015/12/entering-the-home-stretch/ (comments section):

Jonathan, will the PlayStation VR be supported upon its release in Q2?
Not at release. There is a chance we might do something later but I am not sure how high a chance that will be.

The best VR games are going to be games that are exclusively designed for VR, which this one is not since I started designing it in 2008!

We will probably do support in The Witness for a few VR platforms at some point, but I think if you are going to buy one you should be interested in games that were designed for that platform from the ground up.

eot

Banned
I've been looking forward to this since the February conference where Don't first revealed the PS4 (I though The Witness was a launch title)... I've pre-ordered on Steam and look forward to downsamplibg the game at an insane resolution.

You have? I don't even see a price for it on Steam.

EthanC

Banned
Interested, but not enough to pre-order blindly. Will wait for reviews and also impressions of how much better it runs on PC via VR.

Flandy

Yeah I'm going to wait and see if it gets VR support. If it doesn't get PSVR then I'll just get the PC version

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What are the game specs? My PC is pretty dated :(

System Requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: 1.8GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 series
DirectX: Version 9.0
Storage: 4 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 2.4GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 780
DirectX: Version 10
Storage: 4 GB available space

A 780 seems like a pretty beefy card for a game that looks so simple. I wonder if that's just old information or means anything about the optimization. Or it was chosen as an overkill option to guarantee perfect performance.

How do you think this will compare to Talos Principle?

I'm interested to see how far Blow pushes the line tracing mechanic. We've seen it used for everything from unlocking doors to activating bridges, and how it's gets progressively advanced like a clear screen that you use to trace along the background or figuring out the solution based on your surroundings

Nzyme32

How do you think this will compare to Talos Principle?

I'm interested to see how far Blow pushes the line tracing mechanic. We've seen it used for everything from unlocking doors to activating bridges, and how it's gets progressively advanced like a clear screen that you use to trace along the background or figuring out the solution based on your surroundings

I think it has the potential to be better, particularly since it isn't exactly linear. With Talos everything is divided into levels and sections, similarly with the Witness the game is divided into areas, however you are able to complete them in an order that makes sense to you and your own ability / understanding of the world rather than the amount of a certain set of objects you collect. The Witness seems to also take a lot from Myst. That combined with it being a Jonathan Blow game probably means there will be some very complicated puzzles and esoteric solutions in there, which is kind of something I actually want

PolishQ

I'm more excited for this game than probably anything else this year, including Dark Souls 3, which in my case says a lot. I love a good mental workout, especially combined with a Riven-esque unique and cohesive world.

pargonta

Cannot wait. There seems to be an inordinate amount of puzzle content here.

which is awesome. i do hope there is some sort of "ding" or world change when you complete all the puzzles, or some non-rigid way of keeping track of your progress, 517/670, etc.

That's probably against the idea of the game, but we will see

PolishQ

which is awesome. i do hope there is some sort of "ding" or world change when you complete all the puzzles, or some non-rigid way of keeping track of your progress, 517/670, etc.

That's probably against the idea of the game, but we will see

From what I've read, the puzzles build on each other and culminate in a world-size puzzle (think Riven's final puzzle) ... so it's not like at the end of the game you'll be running around and ticking off the last few puzzles you missed. There also seem to be vague hints floating around that there are several layers of puzzles on the island... this is my own conjecture, but perhaps there will be several moments where a deeper understanding of the island is achieved and everything must be looked at from a new angle.

Muzy72

Banned
So excited for this game to release. As stupid as it sounds, it's one of the things that convinced me to get a PS4 at launch.

S1kkZ

I just realized… This game comes out in two weeks and there is no price on it yet. Or at least I can't find one…

i expect 20€/$, maybe a slight discount for plus members. game looks great and seems heavy on content, so i wouldnt mind paying 20 bucks.

Top Bottom